• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Gaz_RB

I was about to buy the Tkmb Raider reboot since I've cleared my backlog of games. After this news, not even gonna get near it anymore seeing as I won't get a chance to play the sequel without an xb1 and I am not made of money to just drop that kind of cash to be able to play select games.

You should still buy the Remastered. It's really good!

Unless you don't want to support CD after their decision to go XB1 exclusive, which is understandable.

There is a fundimental difference between someone from Mars.corp giving money to Earth.corp to create their Mars water to sell to Mars inhabitants rather than a scenario where Earth.corp that wants to sell water to every planet and Venus.corp decides to buy that water to only sell water to Venus.

or something

Holy fucking confusing analogy, Batman. :)

But I get your point, I think, and I agree.

I'm trying to think of another analogy to make... here, try this one on:

Exclusivity with something like Bloodborne is like the NYG holding back good seats for people who are fans of the team every game and selling them as "season tickets".

Exclusivity with something like RotTR is like Jerry Jones buying every available ticket for every NYG homegame in 2014 and saying "Sorry, everyone else, but only Cowboys fans will be attending your home games".

or something

It's not a great analogy, but it still drives home the main point:
Buying out a third party game that was headed to every platform late in development was a dick move and isn't the same as funding and publishing a game from the beginning with the intent of it only being available on your hardware.

Its not the Tomb Raider I remember.

Tomb Raider wasn't a lackluster Uncharted knock-off. It was its own thing. The last game went against all foundations the series was built on.

From all the Tomb Raiders I've played, not only was it the best, but I felt it was better than every single Uncharted game ever made (IMO, of course).
For everything that's coming out in 2015, the only games I could tell you that I have any interest in was RotTR and The Evil Within. What's worse is a friend wanted to pre-order this for me on Steam. Now my friend needs to figure out another plan, it seems.

xexon

Banned
I was about to buy the Tkmb Raider reboot since I've cleared my backlog of games. After this news, not even gonna get near it anymore seeing as I won't get a chance to play the sequel without an xb1 and I am not made of money to just drop that kind of cash to be able to play select games.

Your going to keep that from you playing the best game that releases last year. Lol

crinale

Well, compared to PS4, Xbone is

- a little more expensive to make, thanks to one-die additional memory hierarchy
- a little more complicated to develop for, due to the same reason above
- a little more hindered performance wise, thanks to cheap DDR3 memory (and GPU)
- a little more difficult to come up with new cheaper SKU, due to the same reason above

And worst of all, both have extremely similar architecture. In other words, even you put aside DRM fiasco MS fucked up on designing console to compete against PS4.

To turn the tide or at least slow down the landslide to Sony console MS has to do something, (or anything) to stay relevant. If there's some black magic to patch the hardware so the architecture becomes more efficient they sure will test it, but unfortunately such things never exist :(
I could see MS's strategy is rather limited, so this is one of the few they could do...

Its not the Tomb Raider I remember.

Tomb Raider wasn't a lackluster Uncharted knock-off. It was its own thing. The last game went against all foundations the series was built on.

Ok, ya I'll concur on that. I liked the new take, but they did drop the old style in the process which is too bad.

cebri.one

"literally the Holocaust"? The lengths you people will go to. Ye gods.

tumblr_m6vi8yxysD1r9uyl8o1_500.gif

Rurunaki

Your going to keep that from you playing the best game that releases last year. Lol

Well I have to factor that in because I won't be able to continue Lara's story without an xb1. That's like reading Game of Thrones and not buying the latest book to come out.

Is this the OT? It doesn't feel like it.

I just watched the presentation again. Game looks outstanding. I'm quite ecstatic for the release, particularly because of how good the last TR was

Was there something that only the press saw and we don't?

Because the presentation was basically E3's CG trailer...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Grimløck;125141342 said:
oh, that's your retort? get real. please look, dig, and enlighten me on what's so fascinating.

I didn't take long to dig. Actually I didn't have to dig. You don't actually hide it. It was just there on the first page. Let's just say that when you decide to make a post in an XB1 thread, your opinion on the matter is in my opinion worthless.

jiiikoo

Banned
Well I have to factor that in because I won't be able to continue Lara's story without an xb1. That's like reading Game of Thrones and not buying the latest book to come out.

Nope. If the new GoT came out only written in Sanskrit and you had to go to a paid class to learn it, then it would be the same.

FranXico

Forgive me as I've just started reading the thread, but has anyone given a good reason actually supporting this?

My personal favorites are:

- The Saturn is avenged!
- What goes around comes around.
- This is the same as Bloodborne.
- The Xbox One supports mkv, so this makes Microsoft the most consumer friendly console manufacturer. Which makes everything else they do ok.

Pathos

Banned
Well, compared to PS4, Xbone is

- a little more expensive to make, thanks to one-die additional memory hierarchy
- a little more complicated to develop for, due to the same reason above
- a little more hindered performance wise, thanks to cheap DDR3 memory (and GPU)
- a little more difficult to come up with new cheaper SKU, due to the same reason above

And worst of all, both have extremely similar architecture. In other words, even you put aside DRM fiasco MS fucked up on designing console to compete against PS4.

To turn the tide or at least slow down the landslide to Sony console MS has to do something, (or anything) to stay relevant. If there's some black magic to patch the hardware so the architecture becomes more efficient they sure will test it, but unfortunately such things never exist :(
I could see MS's strategy is rather limited, so this is one of the few they could do...
mj-laughing.gif

You should still buy the Remastered. It's really good!

Unless you don't want to support CD after their decision to go XB1 exclusive, which is understandable.

I just pre-ordered Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris... and I honestly wish I hadn't now. I'm very "pro-consumer" in the idea that people should "vote with their wallets" if possible. In my particular case, I can't really get a refund, as the game is already tied to my Steam account, so I'm stuck with it... but had this news come out before my pre-order, I would not have made it.

And I would further that to go from the stance of recommending TR2013 as a game I really enjoyed when I played it earlier this year to telling people not to bother with it unless they own an Xbone so that they can play the sequel if they like it.

HORRORSHØW

I didn't take long to dig. Actually I didn't have to dig. You don't actually hide it. It was just there on the first page. Let's just say that when you decide to make a post in an XB1 thread, your opinion on the matter is in my opinion worthless.

blah blah blah. talking without saying shit. what a fucking loser. why do i bother?

"literally the Holocaust"? The lengths you people will go to. Ye gods.

Pity I didn't see that post before that fucknut was banned. Since I have both Polish and Jewish heritage(although to be honest I'd call myself neither) I take offence that sort of flippant bullshit.

This whole deal makes no sense unless they bid through the sky. I don't get the head to head with uncharted theory? If your Game is going head to head with another Game with a lot of money on the line, you probably want to show your game in the best possible light. ROTR only being on xbox will just make UC4 look that much better.

even if it was on PC and PS4 the fact that its a cross gen game will make Uncharted look better any way.

- The Saturn is avenged!
- The Xbox One supports mkv, so this makes Microsoft the most consumer friendly console manufacturer. Which makes everything else they do ok.

"It's just subcontracting!".

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Sure, a game that started development on a multi-platform game engine. The benefits must be endless.

Honestly, I'm thinking that the XB1 version is looking for parity when the eventual PS4 version comes out.

Considering the different architecture, I don't think that's an unreasonable goal.

I just pre-ordered Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris... and I honestly wish I hadn't now. I'm very "pro-consumer" in the idea that people should "vote with their wallets" if possible. In my particular case, I can't really get a refund, as the game is already tied to my Steam account, so I'm stuck with it... but had this news come out before my pre-order, I would not have made it.

Steam would refund any game you pre-ordered as long as it's not released yet.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8360-wejc-2625#refund

Just contact their customer service.

Phlebas

Banned

- The Saturn is avenged!

Lol unbelievable.

The lengths some people go.

Edit: Although I have to say this is pretty disappointing, I was looking forward to trying the remastered version soon.

Seems like that choice was made for me instead.

FranXico

Honestly, I'm thinking that the XB1 version is looking for parity when the eventual PS4 version comes out.

Considering the different architecture, I don't think that's an unreasonable goal.

They can achieve platform parity without needing to focus their development on one platform first, though. Bungie managed to make Destiny identical on both consoles.

drotahorror

Dear Tomb Raider Community,

As you may have seen, we’ve just announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox. We consider all of you to be the lifeblood of Tomb Raider and the work we do at Crystal.

What exactly does that mean? That Xbox owners are the best, most truest fans to TR?

Yes, the condition of valuing my money.

All it proves to me is that the Xbox division has nothing coming down the pipe for almost a whole year, other than more Halo, which I will be fine without as Destiny is coming out.
So in the time frame of 1 year-1 year and 3 months, you will absolutely have no way to save $400 (or less) for an Xbox One in order to play this game?

I don't think saving $400 (if you buy new) in a little over a year is so unreasonable.

You said you value your money. So you value having $400 more than you value purchasing an Xbox One and being able to play games you want to play. Okay, that's fine, but I don't think it's fair to hold such ill-intentions towards Square and Microsoft because you aren't willing to purchase their product.

Also, this exclusive just adds to Microsoft's list, it doesn't tale away from it. From now we already know we're getting Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Halo: Master Chief Collection, Halo 5, Dance Central: Spotlight, Fantasia, Killer Instinct Season 2, Ori and Crackdown 3.

I don't see how Microsoft buying a new exclusive shows that Microsoft has no other games coming in the pipe.

Chobel

SE will need to advertise something when PS4 version comes out, "definitive version" seems like the best way to advertise it.

Guerrilla

So the way I see it, TR1 didn't sell as expected, so SE thought they needed more Marketing to sell TR2 better. And I'm sure being exclusive with xb1 will give them that. MS will make sure everyone knows that this is only coming to xb1 with huge billboards, tv spots and so on, which will help this game a lot in popularity. Just look at this thread for example. Until yesterday noone was talking about this game and tr1 was selling like 2 million on the last gen consoles when it was originally released iirc. Now TR is suddenly a huge deal and everyone is pissed that they can't play it. So basically SE -> Mission acomplished.

When this comes out like 6 months later for ps4/pc people are still going to buy it, since they can finally play the game they weren't allowed to before. I bet TR2 is going to sell more on current gen consoles then tr1 was selling on last gen consoles by a big margin, even though last gen consoles had a waaaaay bigger install base at the time.

So I think SE is benefiting from this beyond just a hunk of cash...

Still sucks for ps4/pc only peeps though...

RE_Player

I don't understand how a sane person thinks Bloodborne is a similar situation and deal when compared to this. I would love to hear some comparable deals from this industry, I'm finding this rather interesting, but saying Bloodborne or some exclusive Destiny map is the same as this makes me think you need some fresh air.

LOL

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/10/bloodborne-coming-exclusively-to-ps4-in-2015-new-details/

"Bloodborne is a new collaboration for us, being developed by FromSoftware and produced by SCE Japan Studio."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2d625mDAXM

First 30 seconds for Bloodborne.

SCE? Check
Japan Studio? Check
FROM? Check

Who's publishing TR? SE

Who's funding it? SE

Who's developing it? CD

Prove to me the the last 3 are false.

That information has been publicly available for months.

I meant for Tomb Raider.

HORRORSHØW

I don't understand how a sane person thinks Bloodborne is a similar situation and deal when compared to this. I would love to hear some comparable deals from this industry, I'm finding this rather interesting, but saying Bloodborne or some exclusive Destiny map is the same as this makes me think you need some fresh air.
yeah. this cyclical argument is getting redundant and tiresome.

Chobel

So the way I see it, TR1 didn't sell as expected, so SE thought they needed more Marketing to sell TR2 better. And I'm sure being exclusive with xb1 will give them that. MS will make sure everyone knows that this is only coming to xb1 with huge billboards, tv spots and so on, which will help this game a lot in popularity. Just look at this thread for example. Until yesterday noone was talking about this game and tr1 was selling like 2 million on the last gen consoles when it was originally released iirc. Now TR is suddenly a huge deal and everyone is pissed that they can't play it. So basically SE -> Mission acomplished.

When this comes out like 6 months later for ps4/pc people are still going to buy it, since they can finally play the game they weren't allowed to before. I bet TR2 is going to sell more on current gen consoles then tr1 was selling on last gen consoles by a big margin, even though last gen consoles had a waaaaay bigger install base at the time.

So I think SE is benefiting from this beyond just a hunk of cash...

Still sucks for ps4/pc only peeps though...

That's not how it works, the sales of delayed version are usually (always?) are not good. It will sell like shit in PS/PC platforms.

I meant for Tomb Raider.

Kagari (mod and an insider) said SE didn't need MS help.

I can't believe people are defending this bullshit, i'm actually disgusted with every single person that is. MS would rather buy a game than make one, as an owner of an xbox one this feels like a double slap, not only do they fuck over many gamers, they dont get me a new game for the xbox one either. Banjo? Viva Pinata? a new IP?
As a console the xbox one is fine but the company behind it, I want them out of the games industry and I dont care if my opinion pisses anyone off, MS are a detriment to the games industry. I don't know who but I cant imagine many companies that could replace MS actually being so anti gamer and anti consumer.

As for SE, uhhhhhh, that company has been a shadow of it's former self for years, they were one of the best companies in the games industry and in the space of 1 gen are now laughing stocks.

FranXico

I can't belive people are defending this bullshit, i'm actually disgusted with every single person that is. MS would rather buy a game than make one, as an owner of an xbox one this feels like a double slap, not only do they fuck over many gamers, they dont get me a new game for the xbox one either. Banjo? Viva Pinata? a new IP?
As a console the xbox one is fine but the company behind it, I want them out of the games industry and I dont care if my opinion pisses anyone off, MS are a detriment to the games industry. I don't know who but I cant imagine many companies that could replace MS actually being so anti gamer and anti consumer.

How dare you say those things? Microsoft are saints! They gave us .mkv playback support! /s

crinale

That's not how it works, the sales of delayed version are usually (always?) are not good.

Well there may be some exceptions, like if the game gets critically acclaimed so the ported hardware owners would be still interested a few months later. (IIRC Mass Effect did decent on PS3, right?)

My point is while facially SE seems taking rather a safe route, they're actually taking more risky route for maximizing overall revenue...

Top Bottom