• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

MavFan619

Banned
Okay, fine.

Xbox One (and maybe Xbox 360) is now their only focus. It gives them time to get the game running perfectly and being optimized as best as can be.

They have all the freedom to implant voice commands and camera features now that they don't have to worry about Sony and their Camera which only has about a 15% attachment rate.

The Multiplayer for this game will now run on Microsoft's Azure servers, instead of Square's solution to get Servers for both the Playstation brand and Xbox brand.

That's since you don't consider my "Microsoft rewarding consumers by giving them new exclusives" to be a legitimate one.
Camera and voice command Tomb Raiding :eek:

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay, fine.

Xbox One (and maybe Xbox 360) is now their only focus. It gives them time to get the game running perfectly and being optimized as best as can be.

They have all the freedom to implant voice commands and camera features now that they don't have to worry about Sony and their Camera which only has about a 15% attachment rate.

The Multiplayer for this game will now run on Microsoft's Azure servers, instead of Square's solution to get Servers for both the Playstation brand and Xbox brand.

That's since you don't consider my "Microsoft rewarding consumers by giving them new exclusives" to be a legitimate one.

PC and PS4 are so similar to XB1 architecture that "getting the game running perfectly" shouldn't even be an issue.

What makes you think they care about voice commands when MS basically dumped Kinect off the side of a bridge before E3? And plenty of multiplatform games have voice commands anyway, so that argument is a bit silly.

Where does it say the game will be running on MS's dedicated servers?

drotahorror

Does anyone have some TR 2013 sales numbers? I think the only time we got numbers was the end of March, 3 weeks after the game's release. 3.5 million sold and considered a failure. I'm just curious if they ever got out of the hole they dug with TR. That game's budget musta been ridiculous.

Okay, fine.

How much time can they need? They'll develop it on PC and port it over.

... You realize Microsoft just announced two new bundles and neither have kinect... right?

The Multiplayer for this game will now run on Microsoft's Azure servers, instead of Square's solution to get Servers for both the Playstation brand and Xbox brand..

I honestly didn't even know Tomb Raider had multiplayer... is that a thing now?

It would be hilarious to see people's reactions if the deal was with sony instead
"Well... Sony's Playstation 4 is superior hardware with easier architecture to develop for. It makes sense."

"Smart catch by Sony!"

"Well the Playstation 4 is selling double the Xbox One. It makes sense. The Xbox One is going the way of the Wii U. The 1 million sales isn't worth developing for."

And not saying these claims wouldn't be valid, and I'm not saying EVERYONE on GAF would be this way. GAF isn't a hivemind. Each user has different opinions and beliefs. I just think people would find a Sony moneyhat to be more "reasonable".

But, if you're asking me how I would react?

"Well shit. Good thing I own and like my Playstation 4. Good on Sony for grabbing more exclusives. Glad I bought my PS4."

All this deal did was to reassure people that MS is the evil horse in this race.
They might as well bring back DRM full circle, you done fucked up.

I guess some would see it that way. I read this thread and many of these posts and know if Sony made a short term exclusivity deal for Tomb Raider this thread would be much shorter and the tone would be considerably different. I suspect more of a "Tomb Raider coming home" vibe but we'll never know.

The vitriol over this has me shaking my head. I have the X1 but I'm probably going to wait and get the game on PC where it will look better and cost less. No biggie, I'll play something else for a while.

MavFan619

Banned
I'm not even that mad about this whole thing but the reaching for justifications are just silly. Cloud power, voice commands, and Azure for (I will unfairly for now assume because of the legacy) subpar multiplayer. Nope don't see why Tomb Raider needed those things if anything MS needs to hire a writer to make the non Lara characters worth having around.

A little late to this party. Just wanted to drop by and share my excitement for Rise of the Tomb Raider and my disappointment that I likely won't be able to play it day one. Really enjoyed the reboot, and am looking forward to playing this - whenever that may be. :)

Yeah, I know. My incident was console warz either. But a combination of having the same name throughout the internet but a different attitude towards each service creates friction with my neogaf posting.

Thought you were going to sleep. I find its a good idea to stay bugged out when you initially commit to it. Personal experience.

You keep me honest, J. That's why I like you.

That and because we were from the same class of juniors. Respect.

Does anyone have some TR 2013 sales numbers? I think the only time we got numbers was the end of March, 3 weeks after the game's release. 3.5 million sold and considered a failure. I'm just curious if they ever got out of the hole they dug with TR. That game's budget musta been ridiculous.

It had a 100 million dollar budget. lets compare that to all 3 uncharted games which had a combined budget of 70-80 million dollars.

Toki767

6.5 million as of June. More than half of which was not from Xbox sales.

Bollocks

Yeah. Microsoft is literally the devil.

How evil of them to commit to their platform and offer their customers the very best exclusives they can. How fucking dare they spend money to benefit their customers.

Fuck you Microsoft you evil horse. I thought you we're selling off the brand, but instead your committing to it! I hate companies for supporting their products!

It doesn't benefit their customers. It's a slap to the face for their customers.
MS just spent a substantial amount of money for a game xbox owners would have gotten regardless.

That money could have been used to make original content, yet they opted to spent it on a game they would have gotten all along.

"Well... Sony's Playstation 4 is superior hardware with easier architecture to develop for. It makes sense."

"Smart catch by Sony!"

"Well the Playstation 4 is selling double the Xbox One. It makes sense. The Xbox One is going the way of the Wii U. The 1 million sales isn't worth developing for."

And not saying these claims wouldn't be valid, and I'm not saying EVERYONE on GAF would be this way. GAF isn't a hivemind. Each user has different opinions and beliefs. I just think people would find a Sony moneyhat to be more "reasonable".

"Well shit. Good thing I own and like my Playstation 4. Good on Sony for grabbing more exclusives. Glad I bought my PS4."

#4TheGamers whereas microsoft are supposedly #4TheMoney

"Smart catch by Sony!"

Ya I mean it's not like people should call out under-handed business practices. *head shake*

If Sony is paying Rocksteady to keep the next Batman off Xbox + PC I'll be just as unhappy as this announcement.

Chobel

"Smart catch by Sony!"

Are you trying to be dense or what? The game was always coming to Xbox, all MS did was delaying the other versions.

It doesn't benefit their customers. It's a slap to the face for their customers.
MS just spent a substantial amount of money for a game xbox owners would have gotten regardless.

That money could have been used to make original content, yet they opted to spent it on a game they would have gotten all along.
this

I can't believe you just pulled the Kinect card when they didn't mention it a single time today.
I'm still salty about Microsoft dropping the Kinect. They promised they'll continue to support it but... Every single bundle being sold this year will lack a Kinect.

They killed their biggest differentiator to Sony's console. The Kinect is as good as dead as the attachment rate drops from 100% to 90% to 50% to whatever it hits. Makes me mad that they rather abandon the most innovative part of their console than eat a loss.

I still love my Kinect though. :(

jiiikoo

Banned

"Smart catch by Sony!"

Well, what you wrote is from the point-of-view of a Sony fan whereas the Xbox fans would be up in arms. There would be people defending sony, same as you seem to be defending Xbox.

But hey, I'm just a part of the hive mind so don't mind me.

coldone

Are you trying to be dense or what? The game was always coming to Xbox, all MS did was delaying the other versions.

Way too many assumptions without any real fact.

Square has so many dormant IPs. DeusEX (went to iOS), Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs. There was never a gurantee that they will make another Tombraider game. They said several times the sales didnt meet their expectations.

I'm still salty about Microsoft dropping the Kinect. They promised they'll continue to support it but... Every single bundle being sold this year will lack a Kinect.

They killed their biggest differentiator to Sony's console. The Kinect is as good as dead as the attachment rate drops from 100% to 90% to 50% to whatever it hits. Makes me mad that they rather abandon the most innovative part of their console than eat a loss.

It's not a gaming device... that's the problem.

Ryse was supposed to be the killer launch game for Kinect and at E3 last year the game director literally said they worked with kinect for 2 years trying to make Ryse a kinect game and it wasn't possible.

Ya I mean it's not like people should call out under-handed business practices. *head shake*

If Sony is paying Rocksteady to keep the next Batman off Xbox + PC I'll be just as unhappy as this announcement.

Yeh definetely , it has no benefit to stop others enjoying a game that was previously cross gen. Not to mention that money could have easily been spent on something more to tie in the xbox brand (BANJO , Viva Pinata e.t.c)

Seriously dont understand how it makes sense for SE either, they have pretty much destroyed this franchise for future sony users with bad blood and without knowing the price surely its worth more to sell more copies then limiting it to one console.

Not only that but alot of sony users will now be weary with other square properties . Sleeping Dogs, Deus ex e.t.c

Luckily for this particular deal it works out for me as an xbox owner, but next time it will be something i want to play and exclusive to sony :)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
i aint cheering for anything but am going to throw ideas out there. i don't claim to know how their development process work nor do i claim anyone gives a shit about some of these reasons

- more time for polish closer to release if there is only 2 platforms
If I was someone that was going to try to justify this moneyhat then I would wish with all my being that the E3 reports of the game being cross platform were untrue, so the argument could be: It's based around a single platform.
Single platform games actually benefit greatly from it. While it's true it will be a bit more optimized, it's not game altering.

- no exclusive dlc content going to another platform
Any content is now exclusive. This reads to me like list-padding following from stuff that just has to be.
You might as well list no accidental PlayStation X button prompt will show up in the 360 build.

- bigger install base for online play ( there will be some who will chose xbox for this reason, not saying their will be a considerable or massive amount)
You mean bigger install base on Xbox One because the players that own all platforms and buy the game on the more popular platform can't buy the game on the more popular platform.
So in that case you are right: Xbox One multiplayer players benefit from this moneyhat in that scenario.

-Faster post launch support for 2 platforms rather than 4 ( patches, dlc content)
If patches are supposed to go live on all platforms simultaneously then the platform that is slower at cert will hold up the platfrom with longer cert. The assumption here is that Xbox is faster at cert.

Toki767

Ok...so why are you trying to use it as some reason to justify Microsoft in this? Your reasoning, if anything, is just grasping at straws and proving everyone else right.

David___

Banned
Source? Because that sounds insane.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/04/joystiq-interview-talking-uncharted-2-with-naughty-dogs-evan-w/

$40 million total for the first 2 games.

The budget for the first game was said to be around $20 million dollars, and that had to include that engine creation from scratch, which is a big thing. Since you are using the same engine, has this been a cheaper endeavor? Are you guys spending the same amount?

We are spending the same amount. You always want to be able to just do more. Definitely it is a leg up to start with that technological foundation, but what you try to do with it is just that much more.

Chobel

Square has so many dormant IPs. DeusEX (went to iOS), Just Cause, Sleeping Dogs. There was never a gurantee that they will make another Tombraider game. They said several times the sales didnt meet their expectations.

Not an assumption, we know SE didn't need MS help to develop RoTR.

Yeah. Microsoft is literally the devil.

How evil of them to commit to their platform and offer their customers the very best exclusives they can. How fucking dare they spend money to benefit their customers.

Fuck you Microsoft you evil horse. I thought you we're selling off the brand, but instead your committing to it! I hate companies for supporting their products!

I realize I'm probably going in circles here, but what benefit does it do consumers if Microsoft is paying to keep a game that was in development and already funded off of other consoles? With the success of TR and TR:DE there was obviously going to be a sequel.

The only current-gen console I don't own at the moment is a Wii-U, so I won't be afflicted by this situation. But I'm in decent financial situation to where I can afford to spend my money on extra stuff I probably shouldn't. There are many people out there who simply cannot go out and nonchalantly buy a $400 console because there is one game that is exclusive to to it.

I understand that Microsoft is looking for something that helps out relatively soon in terms of sales, but I think their money could have been spent better else where. Shit, maybe fund some promising indies or something. I'm not going to sell my Xbox in protest or anything; it's done everything I've expected it too, but pulling the rug out from other console owners seems like a poor business practice when in comes to consumer trust.

That is just ridiculous. Square has been making terrible decisions for some time now.

Edit:nvm capcom owns those IP :p
This, and then they had a cool IP like dragons dogma the exceeded expectations and we dont hear a thing about it. Or keeping deep down for japan only and on ps4 doesn't make sense to me either. Deep down looks like a game the west wants.

coldone

Not an assumption, we know SE didn't need MS help to develop RoTR.

How do you know ?.

Do you also know the answer why DeusEX went to iOS ?. Why is there is no squeal for Just Cause. Just Cause is more of fan favorite than Tombraider reboot...

Widge

"Smart catch by Sony!"

Sony spent a generation demonstrating they make games. This short sighted negative gameplan is one that they don't subscribe to.

Thrakier

Bu bu bu bu but they did this #4forthegamers. Because they will all be more happy with an XB1 even if they are forced into buying one.And if TR is not enough, let's just buy Sony into not producing PS4s anymore and make a gaming-lock on all windows PCs. Then everyone will be happy - that's a great business strategy, isn't it?

klee123

I'm not surprised at MS pulling shit like this especially when they're in desperate mode. That said, the fact that they would go lengths to deny even PC owners access to the game speaks volumes on how much in the shit the X1 is.

Just sad.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Source? Because that sounds insane.

There's no actual source on that figure. It's from this article (below is GameSpot's repost for the sake of readability):

Independent games industry analyst Billy Pidgeon, who has previously worked at Inside Network, M2 Research and IDC, has said that Square Enix's recently launched Tomb Raider reboot will need to sell at least five million copies to be successful.

Yesterday Square Enix revealed that Tomb Raider had sold 3.4 million copies since its launch at the start of the month, but this was not enough for it to meet sales expectations.

"But for games with development budgets approaching $100 million to be truly profitable, ratings have to be above 8.5 and sales need to be in the five to ten million unit range."

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How do you know ?.

Do you also know the answer why DeusEX went to iOS ?. Why is there is no squeal for Just Cause. Just Cause is more of fan favorite than Tombraider reboot...

SE put a Deus Ex game on iOS cause "mobile is the future" or some such. Game has since been ported to PC I believe. Pretty sure another Just Cause is in development, as teased by the developers.

Dizzy

Banned

"Smart catch by Sony!"

Sony fanboys would defend it just as the ms fanboys are.

Level headed people would still feel uncomfortable for what it means for this gen when long running multiplatform franchises can just be bought up like that. Even though I intend to own a PS4 I'd be pissed that I couldn't get the game on PC, and that again it would show that almost anything is literally up for grabs at any point.

Chobel

This, and then they had a cool IP like dragons dogma the exceeded expectations and we dont hear a thing about it. Or keeping deep down for japan only and on ps4 doesn't make sense to me either. Deep down looks like a game the west wants.

That's Capcom not SE.

coldone

That is just ridiculous. Square has been making terrible decisions for some time now.

If they dont make the game then they are idiots. If they dont make game for PS4..then it is all because of MS !!!

Atleast be happy Tombraider is staying with consoles. Else it would have gone to iOS like DeusEX.

Top Bottom