• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Tapejara

When Sony secured No Mans Sky as an exclusive all i herd where good on Sony and all sorts, even i though what a great move. Did Xbox gamers give a dame or whine i dont think so. No Mans Skys was the game of E3 for most people.. and im sure that becoming a PS exclusive did not benefit many consumers but that did not cause as much as an outcry, But when MS do it, its wrong all of a sudden. I dont see how ?

I don't have much intrest or investment in No Man's Sky, so I can't really comment on that (though I think I saw some people discuss it earlier in the thread.) That said, I have no clue as to what you're trying to argue. I never stated that Sony should be praised for securing exclusives, only that this specific instance is not good for the consumer.

rouken

how is this any different from the first to console indies? clearly those devs were also paid to put their games first on either consoles right how is tomb raider any different? just because it started off as a ps franchise doesn't give it the privilege to be on that platform first. at the end of the day it's all about business and making money. and i thought being timed would calm people down but still people are angry because they can't play a game that was called a "poor man's uncharted" for a few months.

I think this rubs off badly on Phil Spencer. Since becoming top dog, he has but over backwards to be the gamers friend. Yet here he is, supporting an anti consumer move like this. Obviously it is just business, but i think it paints a clearer picture of things than his overtly positive tweets about things and pretence that he has any thigh other than MS' interests at heart

i dont remember phil trying to sell ps4's

David___

Banned
When Sony secured No Mans Sky as an exclusive all i herd where good on Sony and all sorts, even i though what a great move. Did Xbox gamers give a dame or whine i dont think so. No Mans Skys was the game of E3 for most people.. and im sure that becoming a PS exclusive did not benefit many consumers but that did not cause as much as an outcry, But when MS do it, its wrong all of a sudden. I dont see how ?

Sony helped Hello Games when they got flooded out.

No Mans Land is a game by an Indie developer that can't afford to focus on multiple platforms at once.

Pretty sure others have said this already.

There is a lot of outcry and fury at CD, SE and MS here, and understandably too: this is the most ridiculous moneyhat I've ever seen. However, this move does make sense for CD and SE. This is what this move achieves for CD and SE.

1. A big fat check from Microsoft for a couple of months of exclusivity.
2. Considerably raises the profile of the reboot Tomb Raider series to the same level as Uncharted, one of the most highly rated and best selling franchises of recent years. I enjoyed the the TR reboot but I would never place it in the same category as an uncharted, not even close, but this move has artificially done this - next year the talk leading up to Christmas is gonna be TR v Uncharted.

When TR is released after 3/6 months on PC and PS4, the profile of the game will be drastically improved, as will the sales. The question now is whether this TR v Uncharted dynamic would have occured anyway without the moneyhat, but I think console war arguments will help this.

From MS point of view it signifies a serious detriment in first party output. They had nothing to compete with Uncharted directly so they paid out the ass for something which will only be a temporary fix. Additionally the fact that people know it is timed exclusive will deter many from buying the X1, and the move itself has also promoted fury - the reddit post for this news is over 2000 comments and counting of furious TR fans.

David___

Banned
how is this any different from the first to console indies? clearly those devs were also paid to put their games first on either consoles right how is tomb raider any different?

We're now at the point where the budget between AAA and indies are the same apparently.

Lets not forget that indies really didn't have a choice if they wanted to self publish their games.

Matriox

Sony helped Hello Games when they got flooded out.

I'm not asking you specifically, but I keep seeing this. I did a quick google search and came up unsuccessful, what is the source on this that Sony helped them out here? Just curious to read about it.

bidguy

Banned
No Mans Land is a game by an Indie developer that can't afford to focus on multiple platforms at once.

Pretty sure others have said this already.

what about binding of isaac. dev already said the ps versions are coming before pc. xbox didnt even get mentioned.

David___

Banned
I'm not asking you specifically, but I keep seeing this. I did a quick google search and came up unsuccessful, what is the source on this that Sony helped them out here? Just curious to read about it.

Nothing official but one of the better insiders here said that's the case.

what about binding of isaac. dev already said the ps versions are coming before pc. xbox didnt even get mentioned.
Pub fund and Edmund hates MS' guts.

Ishan

Last figure we're heard from the Playstation Camera was it sold 1 million. Being generous and assuming it's sold an extra half million in the past 2 months, the camera only has a 15% attach ratio.

1.5 million cameras to 10 million consoles.

seriously. the advantage the kinect offers is the depth sensor. That is more or less the key aspect it brings to the table and using the depth sensor and hence the skeletal tracking. Voice recognition and commands can be done by a variety of other means. I don't really even know how to respond to your sequence of comments otherwise. You are aware that a 10 dollar mic can do as well for voice recog?

Doc_Drop

So you really expect voice and camera features to make their way into this game (that is releasing in late 2015) even though MS is effectively dropping Kinect?

Might be worth checking this guys tag and post history if you haven't already, it's a waste of breath engaging in matters concerning Microsoft/Xbox

Widge

how is this any different from the first to console indies? clearly those devs were also paid to put their games first on either consoles right how is tomb raider any different?

Actually, it is probably no different. Microsoft are desperately trying to market this as a big exclusive as the notion of third party exclusive games has been utterly torn apart. Hence the exceptionally carefully worded and not deviated from line on the game: it is exclusive to Xbox One & Holiday 2015. Rather than "this game will not appear on any other platform".

They've misjudged the mood though, thinking this was going to be like their early 360 days "winning exclusives from Sony" patch (which were not wins, merely third party devs adding a new platform to their portfolio).

What people want to see from Microsoft is funding and developing of their portfolio beyond Forza, Fable, Halo, Gears and "Remedy Game". They seem unwilling. Stories of getting their bought in studios to can new IP's in favour of servicing the existing ones don't help their cause.

smurfx

get some go again
Tomb Raider reboot was likely 30M in dev costs, but I wouldn't be shocked if they spent more.

I was examining his statement in the context of a replacement title for moneyhatting Tomb Raider. Of course an indie or AA tier title would cost less.
you think square used this opportunity to get microsoft to pay for their next gen engine development costs?

Totally agree its time MS got there foot in the exploration/ adventure games

Does this 'No Man's Sky' feature boobs or pretty hair? No? Then your argument is invalid.

Feindflug

I think most people will agree with this sentiment, but pulling up your sleeves and getting original exclusive titles is simply a lot more more expensive. Finding available developers is also a lot harder than it may appear. In the end they are doing both, which seems like a good thing for an Xbox gamer. Full exclusives and timed ones.

Sure doing partnerships like they did with Platinum or the Phantom Dust revival is more time consuming and maybe more expensive but I think the pay off is much better. And to be honest after this timed exclusivity deal I'm afraid that MS will have a weaker than I thought 2015 at least AAA wise (indie support looks quite decent right now), hopefully they have more games to announce for 2015 besides the already known Halo 5, Quantum Break & Fable Legends.

Steroyd

You're comparing a small indie dev with an ambitious project to a game where 3.4m sales of it's predecessor wasn't enough, also Sony's PR made it distinctly clear No Man's sky is timed whereas we can only read between the lines with Rise of Tomb Raider.

You don't see any outrage to MS' Id@box exclusives.

Totally agree its time MS got there foot in the exploration/ adventure games

Was No Man's Sky a multiplat game before it was announced as PS4 exclusive? No.

Toki767

I also kind of feel while the thought of Tomb Raider not having to compete with Uncharted 4 on PS4 does make sense, the fact is, Tomb Raider in Holiday 2015 will probably be facing even more competition from Halo 5.

Even if the games aren't the same, people only have so much money and I would imagine the majority will buy Halo 5 over Tomb Raider which is why Tomb Raider needed to be on more platforms unless Microsoft paid them a ridiculous sum.

rouken

We're now at the point where the budget between AAA and indies are the same apparently.

Lets not forget that indies really didn't have a choice if they wanted to self publish their games.

How does budget affect your feelings on whether to be angry about timed exclusives. from what i learned from gaf, AAA and indies are all games. no need to differentiate them. yeah were are that point now.

Huddy

There is a lot of outcry and fury at CD, SE and MS here, and understandably too: this is the most ridiculous moneyhat I've ever seen. However, this move does make sense for CD and SE. This is what this move achieves for CD and SE.

2. Considerably raises the profile of the reboot Tomb Raider series to the same level as Uncharted, one of the most highly rated and best selling franchises of recent years. I enjoyed the the TR reboot but I would never place it in the same category as an uncharted, not even close, but this move has artificially done this - next year the talk leading up to Christmas is gonna be TR v Uncharted.

When TR is released after 3/6 months on PC and PS4, the profile of the game will be drastically improved, as will the sales. The question now is whether this TR v Uncharted dynamic would have occured anyway without the moneyhat, but I think console war arguments will help this.

From MS point of view it signifies a serious detriment in first party output. They had nothing to compete with Uncharted directly so they paid out the ass for something which will only be a temporary fix. Additionally the fact that people know it is timed exclusive will deter many from buying the X1, and the move itself has also promoted fury - the reddit post for this news is over 2000 comments and counting of furious TR fans.

SE and CD better hope the game is well received by the gaming press and gamers when it's released on XB1, as come exclusivity end it will be largely forgotten if not. Massive pressure on CD if they still need good numbers on PS4/PC.

Yes it was, and still is. The PS4 console exclusivity is timed and was always announced as such ("console debut on PS4").

It's more like the game is coming out for the PS4 first then the rest will follow. The game wasn't initially announced as PC/PS4/X1 and then somehow Sony suddenly snatched it from the side or something.

I'm really surprised so many people are up in arms on this, when Sony recently did the EXACT same thing with Dark Souls 3: Battleborn. That game was supposed to come out for the XBox One and Vita consoles, but now it's PS4 exclusive and they even paid to put the Sony Entertainment Computers of America logo on it in the intro to the German trailer, which is a slap in the face to anyone who got banned for making a needless holocaust reference.

I'm just grateful that this definitive XBO version of Rise of the Tomb Raider will have native Kinect support so Speedy Blue Dude can import a snapshot of his face and imprint it on Lara's breast that he can see everytime he looks down at her cleavage to save the game.

I might be thinking of Trespasser.

Matriox

I'm really surprised so many people are up in arms on this, when Sony recently did the EXACT same thing with Dark Souls 3: Battleborn. That game was supposed to come out for the XBox One and Vita consoles, but now it's PS4 exclusive and they even paid to put the Sony Entertainment Computers of America logo on it in the intro to the German trailer, which is a slap in the face to anyone who got banned for making a needless holocaust reference.

I'm just grateful that this definitive XBO version of Rise of the Tomb Raider will have native Kinect support so Speedy Blue Dude can import a snapshot of his face and imprint it on Lara's breast that he can see everytime he looks down at her cleavage to save the game.

dammit Mike

:LOL

mocoworm

No it isn't exactly the same as has been discussed in this thread.

Edit: fuck I should have read until the Kinect stuff. I GOT GOT bring on the ridicule.

fishedIn.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

oGrBnuj.gif

Love it.

See. This guy gets it.

I agreed with most of what you said until your bias started to show in the last paragraph. This exclusive isn't a sign or anything as far as first party goes. Yes, MS has nothing to directly compete with Uncharted but Sony has nothing to directly compete with Halo, and neither company has anything to directly compete with Zelda. The point is moot. MS just wanted to wipe a piece off of Sony's board for Christmas 2015.

Once again, the timed exclusive is meant to win Christmas 2015. If you're a gamer who likes what Xbox is offering during that time and want the next Tomb Raider under the Christmas tree then the decision becomes easier for the consumer to make not harder.

Gamers are an entitled bunch. I know that's considered a no-no thing to say around here but it's true. The fact is Square Enix needs to throw it's weight behind Tomb Raider, they need a sustainable franchise that could mean merchandise and movies ECT. The thing is though they can't over leverage themselves to do it. This is a great deal for thm as you said. Gamers can stomp their feet, cry and make angry YouTube rants all they like but this is a great deal to make for the franchise and gamers tbh.

DOWN

Banned
Sadly it seems like there's no chance of this pulling a Final Fantasy XIII and jumping to more platforms before launch.

Chobel

LMAO! This is good.

Top Bottom