• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will be bundled with Nvidia GPUs

Does DX12 actually do anything worth noting yet? I know what the supposed capabilities are, particularly the draw calls, but I've not played any DX12 games yet and from what I've heard the few that support it aren't reaping much of a benefit. I realize my post might sound a bit crappy but for what it's worth I'm actually banking on DX12 being vital in a number of games down the line, just not heard great results yet outside of MS's PR.

Well, there are 0 commercially released games using Dx12, so it's hard to judge it right now...

I thought this was an AMD centric title. Just like Deus Ex. What the hell is happening here?

Nvidia paying more than Amd?

Kezen

Banned
That's not a GPU issue.

Arkham Knight PC was fucked at the source.

True, but the AK blunder will perhaps color Nvidia and Gameworks' reception. No wonder some associate Gameworks with broken releases, this is Nvidia's fault for not picking their partners wisely.
Thankfully many Nvidia sponsored games turn out fine, even on AMD hardware (Rainbow Six Siege for example).
Considering this Tomb Raider makes good use of Xbone hardware it's guaranteed to run well on GCN no matter how old (even GCN 1.0 should be more than fine).

I guess only the Gameworks stuff will maybe favor Nvidia cards, aside from the possible inclusion of HBAO+ nothing makes me very enthusiastic.
DX12 excites me much more.

Does DX12 actually do anything worth noting yet? I know what the supposed capabilities are, particularly the draw calls, but I've not played any DX12 games yet and from what I've heard the few that support it aren't reaping much of a benefit. I realize my post might sound a bit crappy but for what it's worth I'm actually banking on DX12 being vital in a number of games down the line, just not heard great results yet outside of MS's PR.
DX12 is all what devs make of it, simple as that.
Timothy Lottes :
there is a transformation happening in the PC space reaching critical mass, catalyzed by Mantle, continuing with two explicit APIs: DX12 and Vulkan. A process of opening up the ability to leverage the GPU. I've been looking forward to this for a long time: the Next Renaissance for GPU Programming on PC. It is a very exciting time to be working in Raja Koduri's Radeon Technology Group (RTG) at AMD, with an entire company driven and aligned to make this happen.
http://timothylottes.blogspot.fr/2015/12/gpuopen.html

Kezen

Banned
So I guess this is really true.
j2qxTBX.jpg

http://www.3ona51.com/ru/news/2015/12/get-uprising-tomb-raider-game-free/

DieH@rd

Banned
I'd like to say it's good news but really, I can't.

AMD's sponsored games seem to all have DX12 support, I was really looking forward to AMD's collaboration with Crystal/Nixxes on a game which is already technically very good.

Oh well I hope it will have some good additional tech at least but really DX12 was the major thing I was looking forward to.

Shit.

Looks like DE:MD will be a big AMD game ported by Nixxes. Rumors point out that 14nm radeons will come out in early Q3, which is exactly when this game got delayed to [late Aug].

We heard zero news about who is porting RotTR to PC.

Hmm, if I can get the PC I've got my eye on, the probable abundance of cheap second hand codes mean I can play earlier than the PS4 version, without directly supporting the game, so I might actually get this.

I'm calling BS on this. Square Enix is partnering with AMD, and this game has TressFX too. I see zero chance of Nvidia bundling this game.

Kezen

Banned
Looks like DE:MD will be a big AMD game ported by Nixxes. Rumors point out that 14nm radeons will come out in early Q3, which is exactly when this game got delayed to [late Aug].

We heard zero news about who is porting RotTR to PC.

AMD mentioned "TBA" features in their DX12 slides, something big is brewing and I like that. I'm ready for crazy rendering tech regardless of whether or not those are practical for my hardware.

Nixxes were busy with ROTTR on 360, Deus Ex MD for 2016, and perhaps even Hitman. It's difficult to imagine them working on the PC port of ROTTR.

As long as it's not Iron Galaxy or High Voltage it should be really good.

I'm calling BS on this. Square Enix is partnering with AMD, and this game has TressFX too. I see zero chance of Nvidia bundling this game.
TressFX runs on Nvidia cards, and it's already confirmed if you look a few posts above yours. It's not fake, the promotion is live on a Russian site I listed.

DieH@rd

Banned
I thought this was an AMD centric title. Just like Deus Ex. What the hell is happening here?

It was actually never hinted to be an AMD title, gamers just believed "by default" it will be so. Nixxes talked a lot about PC port of new Deus Ex, but never about RotTR.

thelastword

Banned
So why can't two deals be in swing, AMD has the GPU features deal and Nvidia packs in the game to move their cards as well. Seeing how the game underperformed on the XB1, I don't think such an arrangement is too farfetched or out of the ordinary.

So why can't two deals be in swing, AMD has the GPU features deal and Nvidia packs in the game to move their cards as well. Seeing how the game underperformed on the XB1, I don't think such an arrangement is too farfetched or out of the ordinary.

SE and Nixxes go way back with AMD, and it's hard to see Nvidia advertise a game with AMD's effects and none of its own. These leaks look like they're only from places like Latin America and Russia, so if it's true it might be just a limited deal to these territories.

EGM1966

Historically bundled games with nvida have shifted decent units correct? This should help the game improve its overall units shifted position I'd image (less so than what I presume is an inevitable Steam sale similar to TR itself but hey every little helps).

UrbanRats

I'd like to say it's good news but really, I can't.

AMD's sponsored games seem to all have DX12 support, I was really looking forward to AMD's collaboration with Crystal/Nixxes on a game which is already technically very good.

Oh well I hope it will have some good additional tech at least but really DX12 was the major thing I was looking forward to.

Shit.
Hoping for hbao+.
It looks like SE goes with who gives more money, kinda sad but true.
How is this sad? Unless you're an AMD user, but then you should be mad at AMD.

KingBroly

Banned
Historically bundled games with nvida have shifted decent units correct? This should help the game improve its overall units shifted position I'd image (less so than what I presume is an inevitable Steam sale similar to TR itself but hey every little helps).

Even with delayed ports?

Locuza

What exactly is an "GPU Feature Deal"?
If you make any deal, it's going almost everytime with co-marketing and keys.
I don't remember that any game had two IHV deals simultaneously.

Wow, this is so unexpected to me.
But i guess AMD really doesn't do this promotions anymore, when was the last time they had promotion with free games? In 2014?
AMD did a little with Dirt Rally and Star Wars Battlefront for the Furys.

SE and Nixxes go way back with AMD, and it's hard to see Nvidia advertise a game with AMD's effects and none of its own. These leaks look like they're only from places like Latin America and Russia, so if it's true it might be just a limited deal to these territories.
Maybe there is HBAO+ implemented, maybe something different, maybe nothing.
But there is no law which would say no.

wow
congratulations square for ruining the franchise
How?

Kezen

Banned
Wow, this is so unexpected to me.
But i guess AMD really doesn't do this promotions anymore, when was the last time they had promotion with free games? In 2014?

Anyway i hope this is well optimized for both AMD and nVidia, i don't want another Arkham Knight or JC3 fail!
AMD's Gaming Evolved program is alive and well, Hitman 2016 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided attest to that. Nvidia have deeper pockets though, but I have to admit I did not see that one coming. I was ready to bet serious money it would end up being a showcase for AMD, considering it must have been tightly optimized for the GCN to extract as much performance as possible from the Xbone hardware. So, what is Nvidia's endgame I wonder.

Hoping for hbao+.

How is this sad? Unless you're an AMD user, but then you should be mad at AMD.

No Gameworks features are mentioned on the promotional site, so it seems to be purely a marketing partnership akin to MGS 5.

Locuza said:
I don't remember that any game had two IHV deals simultaneously
Crysis 3 had TXAA, Kepler exclusive at the time while being part of AMD's GPU bundles.
Different case here however, as Tressfx runs well on Nvidia cards but probably better on equivalent GCN ones I suppose.

Maybe the situation is somewhat comparable to Battlefront, it's most definitely a game which is biased towards AMD cards but performs very well still on Nvidia.

cyen

The only good news is that the game will be cheap since most people will sell theyre cupons bringing the price down.

I really hope they didnt had time to implement theire gameworks crap.

tuxfool

Banned
I should point out that there have been previous Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games with "The Way it is Meant to Be Played" branding.

Locuza

Nvidia have deeper pockets though, but I have to admit I did not see that one coming. I was ready to bet serious money it would end up being a showcase for AMD, considering it must have been tightly optimized for the GCN to extract as much performance as possible from the Xbone hardware.
I'm also suprised.
Since the last Tomb Raider Deal was with AMD for TressFX I thought this one would be too with TressFX and DX12 + Async Compute.
It would have been a very good promo for AMD.

NeoRaider

AMD's Gaming Evolved program is alive and well, Hitman 2016 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided attest to that. Nvidia have deeper pockets though, but I have to admit I did not see that one coming. I was ready to bet serious money it would end up being a showcase for AMD, considering it must have been tightly optimized for the GCN to extract as much performance as possible from the Xbone hardware.

It still bothers me that game with AMD technology is bundled with nVidia GPUs. So yeah same here, i did not see this coming. I guess i didn't want to believe that SE will do it.

As AMD GPU user, only and really only thing i care about is game optimization. So many nVidia games have problems with AMD cards and even their own cards and i think we all know that. Question is will CD (and i hope Nixxes) allow this to happen with this game. I think that they won't.

Kezen

Banned
people will wait to cheap codes instead.
Those codes have already been bought by Nvidia.

I'm also suprised.
Since the last Tomb Raider Deal was with AMD for TressFX I thought this one would be too with TressFX and DX12 + Async Compute.
It would have been a very good promo for AMD.
I would have liked to see that instead to be honest. Not that Nvidia don't support DX12 or cannot offer very good technologies, but it does not seem likely now.
That said it should still run well on AMD hardware, the most logical explanation would be that Nvidia are confident their offering fares well enough.

It still bothers me that game with AMD technology is bundled with nVidia GPUs. so yeah same here, i did not see this coming. I guess i didn't want to believe that SE will do it.
As AMD GPU user, only and really only thing i care about is game optimization. So nVidia games have problems with AMD cards ane even their own cards and i think we all know that. Question is will CD and i hope Nixxes allow this to happen with this game. I think that they won't.
You can't pin it all down on Nvidia, Rainbow Six Siege performs well on AMD yet is Nvidia sponsored. Just Cause 3 is not stable on Nvidia hardware, COD Black Ops 3 is not biased towards Nvidia as benchmarks clearly show, AMD are not a poor victim.
Secondly, as an AMD owner you should not panic. AAA multiplatform games need to run as well as possible on consoles so structurally it is certain they need to be well optimized for AMD's dominant architecture, therefore unless AMD slips and release poor drivers performance should be good.
Check for yourself in Nvidia sponsored games, disable the Gameworks features entirely and you will see that performance on AMD is good if completely GPU limited.

Nvidia are aware of this hence Gameworks.

NeoRaider

You can't pin it all down on Nvidia, Rainbow Six Siege performs well on AMD yet is Nvidia sponsored. Just Cause 3 is not stable on Nvidia hardware, COD Black Ops 3 is not biased towards Nvidia as benchmarks clearly show, AMD are not a poor victim.

I am not blaming nVidia only. AMD is to blame too, and developers of these games.
I only said that many nVidia titles released in 2014/2015 had big problems, that's all.

Kezen

Banned
I am not blaming nVidia only. AMD is to blame too, and developers of these games.
I only said that many nVidia titles released in 2014/2015 had big problems, that's all.
AK is the only unmitigated disaster I can recall, and it was Nvidia branded.
I don't really understand Nvidia's motives behind this partnership, surely they were not kept in the dark all along. They saw this catastrophe coming.

Regardless I don't recall many Nvidia branded games to be very problematic on AMD hardware, if AMD are slow to release drivers this is not Nvidia's fault.
Nvidia often have day one drivers ready, they are never perfect but they are here.

AMD should do the same.

Xyber

Many titles were broken and shit on all platforms.

Nvidia sponsored games can be just marketing deals, or they will help add features from the GameWorks stuff. It's not up to Nvidia to unfuck a broken game that wasn't even broken because of the Nvidia features added (like in Batman..).

Where do you guys buy these keys? Though there was a high probability of getting scammed

Can usually find people here on gaf in the buy/sell thread.

NeoRaider

AK is the only unmitigated disaster I can recall, and it was Nvidia branded.
I don't really understand Nvidia's motives behind this partnership, surely they were not kept in the dark all along. They saw this catastrophe coming.

Regardless I don't recall many Nvidia branded games to be very problematic on AMD hardware, if AMD are slow to release drivers this is not Nvidia's fault.
Nvidia often have day one drivers ready, they are never perfect but they are here.

AMD should do the same.

Unity
Watch Dogs
Dying Light
Arkham Knight
JC3

All had problems and not just with AMD, but this is turning into off topic talk now.

Many titles were broken and shit on all platforms.

Nvidia sponsored games can be just marketing deals, or they will help add features from the GameWorks stuff. It's not up to Nvidia to unfuck a broken game that wasn't even broken because of the Nvidia features added (like in Batman..).

That's what i said. And i agree that nVidia is not the only one to blame. I said that.

Imagine if they swapped out TressFX for HairWorks, lmao

Lol TressFX will be default here, because Xbox One version is build with it. I guess there will be some settings for it like Med/High Quality.
But trust me, they will never mention TresssFX again in this game.

Kezen

Banned
Unity
Watch Dogs
Dying Light
Arkham Knight
JC3

All had problems and not just with AMD, but this is turning into off topic talk now.

Alright it appears your definition of disaster is extremely personal. All of the games quoted AK is by a landslide the one I would not hesitate to label a disaster, missing visual features, crashes and unbelievably bad performance.
I got Watch Dogs, Dying Light and Just Cause 3 very near launch and while they were not without faults my experience was very decent right out of the gate, and very good very soon after. Yes, even Unity which was not bugs free on Nvidia, you are right that Nvidia should perhaps be more selective in their partnerships and that associating their brand with questionable releases is not good for business. That's a fair argument, but this is different than blaming Nvidia for the game's problem, or AMD's for that matter.

AMD's problems in those games stem from their slowness to release optimized drivers, I simply can't make a good case condemning Nvidia for unfair practices in the games you are talking about. I will concede I do not have complete visibility on the matter, maybe there is a clause in the contract which stipulates that other vendors must not have access to the most recent build or something silly. I suppose this is a tempting reasoning for those looking for culprits.

Call me a Nvidia apologist all you want, facts do not support the assertion that Nvidia have deliberately "sabotaged" AMD's performance in those games.
Less efficient drivers might have something to do with Dying Light's framerate on AMD cards (and the game has been nerfed regarding draw distance so even on AMD cards you should be GPU limited more easily), and I suspect the same would apply to Watch Dogs. Just Cause 3 is, as I said, not discriminatory, crashes and visual bugs (flickering in my case) occur on both Nvidia and AMD.

And you are forgetting games like Dragon Age Inquisition which ran poorly on AMD cards at launch, it's an AMD branded game. Have you forgotten about the original Tomb Raider ? It was almost "broken" on Nvidia cards and to your surprise I was not accusing AMD of anything, I did not believe AMD had anything to do with that. It was a case of trying to shift the blame, I don't like that. Man up for God's sake. Alien Isolation (2014) crashed on my 780 and I did not blame AMD (the hardware partner), who did I blame ? Nvidia. Their next driver fixed my loading and crashing issues.

No doubt Nvidia are not angels, but I believe there are valid technical reasons behind performance on their competitor.

Shit.. I just bought my 970 on boxing day.. Can I still get this deal?

While it's coming, it hasn't been announced officially, at least not in the States. You should have gotten a code for Assassin's Creed or R6: Siege. I'd hit up Nivida and see what they say, they did swap out codes last time during the Batman - MGS5 offering.

Top Bottom