• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords - Enhanced Edition announced exclusively for PS4

I reviewed Risen 3 on PS4 and I'm gonna have to disagree with that Destructiod review. Never had any of the crashing issues, game is much better then it was on consoles before, and it's fun but has some issues for sure. Wondering if his system is fucked or something cause all his negative banter on the game being broke is not what I experienced. It does have framerate issues though, but still better then the prior console releases. Loading never took 3 minutes, so hmmmmmmm. That review is confusing coming from someone else who has also played it.

Phamit

So I checked the loading times and the longest i got was a little bit under 1 Minute and this happens when you load a savegame, otherwise the loadings times are short

So Destructoid's 'Hollywood' editor didn't get the Euro Jank RPG game? Not really surprising I suppose. So used to been lead by the hand - he failed to see the Risen/Gothic open quest system and the ironic sarcastic dialogue as a positive.

Shame he chose to embellish the truth with issues only he seemed to encounter as he couldn't be bothered to do his job and actually finish game before reviewing it.

Karak

So Destructoid's 'Hollywood' editor didn't get the Euro Jank RPG game? Not really surprising I suppose. So used to been lead by the hand - he failed to see the Risen/Gothic open quest system and the ironic sarcastic dialogue as a positive.

Shame he chose to embellish the truth with issues only he seemed to encounter as he couldn't be bothered to do his job and actually finish game before reviewing it.

Not sure what to think of the review itself but he is by no means in ANY reality the only person to be experiencing issues.

I reviewed Risen 3 on PS4 and I'm gonna have to disagree with that Destructiod review. Never had any of the crashing issues, game is much better then it was on consoles before, and it's fun but has some issues for sure. Wondering if his system is fucked or something cause all his negative banter on the game being broke is not what I experienced. It does have framerate issues though, but still better then the prior console releases. Loading never took 3 minutes, so hmmmmmmm. That review is confusing coming from someone else who has also played it.
Ive read your reviews before and they're almost always on target. I tend to believe you over random Destructoid guy so thanks for clarifying.

So the game doesn't allow you to customize your character, the combat seems to be bland, and the story from what I hear isn't all that great?

Why should I get this game?

So the game doesn't allow you to customize your character, the combat seems to be bland, and the story from what I hear isn't all that great?

Why should I get this game?

Whilst you play the same character - like any good RPG there are many paths through the game that allow some very different character development, mostly focused toward which of the factions you decide to choose to join. These not only alter the abilities at your disposal, but also your appearance. Do you choose a swashbuckling melee swordsman, a Shotgun totting magic rune user or a voodoo magic priest who raises the dead to fight for him?

Is the combat bland? It's no Dark Souls of course - and you do start with a very limited move set. Though as you can see from the previous paragraph - combat does open up as you learn skills and decide your route through the game.

Have you played the previous games? There's a lot of story here that carries over from them and helps you make more sense of a world that has suffered because of the previous events. You are introduced to old characters in this game without much explanation at times - and I can see that being quite confusing if you hadn't played before.

The story is a fairly typical save the world and save your soul type archetype - with a pirate theme. I don't think the story is anything more than average - but what it does do is provide a reason to move through and explore this world and that's all it needs to do. This is because the true reason for anyone to be playing this game is the exploration. The Gothic and Risen games excel at rewarding you for going off that beaten path and scouring all corners for that locked chest, hidden gold and awesome loot.

The loose story also works in the favour of the quest system. You can complete quests before you've even been given them if you happen to stumble upon them in your travels. Upon meeting the quest giver - you then have alternative dialogue as your explain you've already done it. If the story was tighter - it would handcuff this system and your ability to do things in the order you choose. After the initial introductory chapter - you are given free rein to travel to any of the locations and complete them in the order of your choosing. There will be content that is too hard to defeat in these areas - chests that are too hard to unlock etc - so you will be leaving them and returning later when you are stronger.

Or maybe not as instead of using xp (glory) to power up your character's muscles - you tightly focused on a lock picking build - and equipped items that enhance this. Thus allowing you to open even the toughest chests early on in the game - if you can sneak your way to them!

The real litmus test for anyone's ability to enjoy this and other games like it is - can you handle the Euro Jank? Games with a large scope and ideas that are way beyond the budget and sometimes the ability of the developers making them. There will be shortcuts and polish missing - maybe the odd glitch or bug - but always a gameplay experience often deeper and more evolving than most AAA RPG titles.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just tested out the Enhanced Edition PC update and I got a 7 second load time from the menu. Loading a save once in the game was 4-5 seconds. On a SSD of course.

Top Bottom