• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords |OT| The magic is back

Clydefrog

ugh cant you buy better looking boots? those dont match the guardian armor at all.

the fuck? those boots are way better than the standard issue guardian boots.

they're the pirates' boots you beat at sea

i think they look great

edit: more importantly, i don't wear a stupid hat/helmet/bandana.

Jag

fuck that third sea monster! fuck it to hell!!!!

I've been overpowered for most of the game. One-two shotting most creatures, but I actually lowered the difficulty on that third sea monster after a few attempts. I got close a few times, but lost patience.

Pyrrhus

Man Patty's redesign is so awful. She looks like she should be in a burlesque club in Bioshock Infinite now.

Bioshock Infinite? Man, those holy rollers up in Columbia would lynch her if she went out on the street like that. Looks like she's on her way to a job interview at Mad Moxxi's, though.

Denton

fuck that third sea monster! fuck it to hell!!!!

Hah I had to switch to easy to keep my nerves intact. The sea battles are my biggest gripe with the game, they are just badly designed and too boring to get through.
Rest of the game is so easy though.

Denton

Well, game finished. Save shows 38 hours, steam tells me around 50.

I enjoyed it greatly with two caveats. First is that the game was piss easy. It was easy since the beginning (I did not try hard, I always play games on default, medium, difficulty) but after I got good equip (heavy armor, sword with 110 dmg, some spells, Indestructible) it was just knife --> butter kind of deal.
Unusually for PB game, I never had to run away from monster and come back. I was always able to kill anything.

Second caveat. The ending. God damn what an abrupt piece of 30 second cutscene shit was that. I hate that when great games are ended with "ah fuck it" from devs. Just feels disrespectful. Why not some more dialogue with the crew? Why not some god damn proper epilogue ? Best games always have epilogues.

And I remember third thing that pissed me off, the ship monster battles. Annoying as hell, especially the third. Difficulty there was somewhat overblown, but main issue is that they were boring as hell.

Anyway, 8/10. I like the game a lot, it has beautiful world to explore, fun questing and dialogues, fantastic atmosphere.
But it would still be nice if PB could hire more people or something and step their game up a bit. Clean up that combat, bring back proper challenge, and don't doze off at the ending.

-SD-

Banned
OK, that's it. Made my final decision. I'm going to only buy this game at a Steam sale for 5€ or under. Far too many displeasing things said here and elsewhere.

Denton

Super bummer. I love the early game difficulty of Risen and Gothic.

That alone pretty much puts me off buying the game without a severe discount.

It is disappointing, but then you watch Angry Joe or read Rock Paper Shotgun and see that combat in R3 is giving them insane trouble and you just shake your head and wonder in which parallel universe are you living.

In any case, for me combat and challenge is secondary in these games (exploration is why I play them) so ultimately I did not mind THAT much, but YMMV obviously.

Moff

I agree, overall balancing is the games biggest fault, and that includes a much too easy difficulty. its a shame because that could have been improved with very little effort. or with mods at least but they refuse to allow modding.

still, I finished it twice and had 60 very enjoyable hours with it, I think its PBs best game since gothic 2. I will definitely replay it with the third faction sometime.

right now, I am replaying gothic 1.

B_Signal

I got sent the PS3 version of this the other week and have only just got around to it. This might have been covered, but I think Risen 3 on the ps3 might actually be the worst looking game I've ever played, relatively at least

Denton

I got sent the PS3 version of this the other week and have only just got around to it. This might have been covered, but I think Risen 3 on the ps3 might actually be the worst looking game I've ever played, relatively at least

Yeah I saw the PS3 version and its lack of performance completely destroys the beautiful world that Piranhas created. I wouldn't recommend it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
God damn I'm also playing the PS3 version .. looks like total piece of SHIT .. the opening was like if Assassins Creed IV was a cross-gen game between PS1 and Dreamcast.

But .. all that aside I can't stop playing the game .. the world is so engrossing and fun to explore..

Also, Caladon ( ? ) had one mission where you're accompanied by like 20 NPC's when raiding an enemy camp and the entire quest was running in single digit frames per second.

Holy shit this is easily the worst game (technically) i've ever played, but I just can't stop playing it.

B_Signal

God damn I'm also playing the PS3 version .. looks like total piece of SHIT .. the opening was like if Assassins Creed IV was a cross-gen game between PS1 and Dreamcast.

But .. all that aside I can't stop playing the game .. the world is so engrossing and fun to explore..

Also, Caladon ( ? ) had one mission where you're accompanied by like 20 NPC's when raiding an enemy camp and the entire quest was running in single digit frames per second.

Holy shit this is easily the worst game (technically) i've ever played, but I just can't stop playing it.

I've not quite fallen for it to that extent, mainly because of the combat. I'm still early in so hopefully it picks up, but I've found it unresponsive. I suspect I might be in an area that's maybe a bit too high level for me too, I'm scraping through most fights

That being said I can see why people have been enjoying it, it's convinced me to go back and give Risen 2 another shot on pc at some point

-SD-

Banned

Kevtones

I had no idea why I couldn't use the teleporters after I activated them. I just shrugged my shoulders and continued walking everywhere. I had like 10 of them activated before I realized you "use" them via the map. Damnit!

Oh god dammit!

Thank you lol. 17 hours in and I feel dumb.

Where the hell is Patty? I just got a ship and went back to that northern island in Kila, and she wasn't there.

edit- oh, I found her floating above the ocean. Now I can't talk to her. Great. Is there some console command to spawn her near me or something?

4KVi1Ge.jpg

Audioboxer

Is the game really that bad for fans of the series? I know everyone said Risen 2 took a dive from Risen 1, although I did enjoy 2.

Is it "worse" than 2?

Wondering if I should take a punt on it at £15 with the 1st day DLC.

Sentenza

Is the game really that bad for fans of the series? I know everyone said Risen 2 took a dive from Risen 1, although I did enjoy 2.

Is it "worse" than 2?

If you liked Risen 2 to any degree (as I did, despise finding it definitely a step back from Risen 1) this is an improvement over it in pretty much every single way.
Well, except for a less likable main character, I guess. But that's just me.

Moff

Is it "worse" than 2?

it's better than risen 2 in basically everything. it's really sad that many reviewers gave it a lower score than risen 2, an in some cases they even said in the review how much better risen 3 is.

they really listened after risen 2 and improved the game a lot. however, it's not perfect by far. personally, I think it's the best piranha bytes game since gothic 2. although risen 1 certainly had more classic and better mechanics, it just felt so uninspired. risen 3 feels so much bigger and more inspired. I think they did a really good job with their very limited recources, which made them reuse and build on a lot from risen 2.

but if you even liked risen 2, I honestly think you should buy this.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Risen 2 and 3 still held back by console limitations big time. Hopefully their next game will not be cross gen or or just pc.

Audioboxer

it's better than risen 2 in basically everything. it's really sad that many reviewers gave it a lower score than risen 2, an in some cases they even said in the review how much better risen 3 is.

they really listened after risen 2 and improved the game a lot. however, it's not perfect by far. personally, I think it's the best piranha bytes game since gothic 2. although risen 1 certainly had more classic and better mechanics, it just felt so uninspired. risen 3 feels so much bigger and more inspired. I think they did a really good job with their very limited recources, which made them reuse and build on a lot from risen 2.

but if you even liked risen 2, I honestly think you should buy this.

Got my copy today, time to jump in!

Audioboxer

Can't stop playing this!

Intro is horrendously rough (part on the ship). Looks disgraceful on the PS3. Main game is a bit better, but it does seem to run worse than Risen 2.

All the usual jank is there, as well as reused assets, but I still love it. Seems to be what Risen 2 should have been, and with it being ages since I played the second one, reused assets aren't bothering me much.

I already know the ending sucks, but I'll enjoy the journey. Got the "day 1 edition" for £14.99 and done one of the extra islands (thieves). Enjoyed it and laughed a bit. Seems like what they cut out for DLC really was just main game content curtained off, and that isn't cool for fans of this series. No doubt they'll never not be a day 1 edition available though, doubt retail would sell them all.

Audioboxer

Sooo many quests. This is definitely better than Risen 2.

Think I'm going to join the mages, the developers went to the efforts to bring magic back, I just feel if I don't get to use a spell or two it would be a waste!

Moff

actually all three factions can use magic. and they all have different spells! they all have standard attack spells, too. so you can play every faction as a caster, melee or ranged. the game allows you that freedom.
you can use most of the other factions' spells, too, but only as consumables (scrolls, dolls and runes), but you can train your faction's spells and use them at no cost. so choose wisely.

the guardians (mages) factions are a bit better at magic, though. they have three different attack spells instead of only one, but that's not a big bonus, some enemies simply take a bit more damage from a certain kind of spell. the biggest magic bonus the guardians have is an exclusive perk that lets you cast your attack spells faster. it makes you pretty much invincible. but the game is easy enough as it is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sooo many quests. This is definitely better than Risen 2.

Think I'm going to join the mages, the developers went to the efforts to bring magic back, I just feel if I don't get to use a spell or two it would be a waste!

Crystal magic (the guardians) is so OP that the game will go into easy mode once you get it. It's still a lot of fun to explore and destroy everything, though.

This game completely fell of my radar in the last few weeks but i'm glad to see the thread bumped as i'll have to buy Risen 3 soon. I really enjoyed my time with Risen 2 especially as i picked up the Velvet box edition cheaper than the normal edition.

I'm not too bothered by the lack of difficulty as i always enjoyed the exploration aspect more than the combat though now i think about it i would miss the initial risk/reward aspect of tackling crocs and other large beasts.

Blimey, it's £40 on PC, ouch.

Moff

there was a deep silver steam sale last weekend an I think risen 3 was 30% off, so I'm pretty sure we'll get a good discount during the holiday sale

Damn, i missed it. I'd have picked it up at £28 too. I'll add it to my watchlists for steam and amazon etc as i definitely want to play this game. I'm looking forward to getting it, i played the hell out of Dark Waters, 55 hours according to steam and 35 of the achievements.

Good times, happy to get more of them :)

Audioboxer

Magic is so OP but I love it lol.

I started a new game to pickup the 10% glory item right away and pump stats only into magic, flew back to where I was previously. Only issue I have this time around is the shimmering pearl not appearing, but you only NEED it if you want to join voodoo pirates anyway.

XtremeRampage

Neo Member
51j1PASvrHL._AA160_.jpg

The PC "Collector's Edtion" includes:
  • Steelbook with Risen 3 First Edition (DRM-free) including Soundtrack
  • Art-Box without any Age Restriction Logos
  • Colored Manual
  • Risen-Universe-Almanach (Hardcover)
  • 9 Art-Cards
  • Poster (Double Sided)
  • Risen 3 Map
Do you still need Steam to install and activate it? It seems only the German version has "DRM Free" on it. At least that's what I saw on eBay.

Moff

Do you still need Steam to install and activate it? It seems only the German version has "DRM Free" on it. At least that's what I saw on eBay.

I was not aware there are non-german retail pc versions.

as far as I know the retail version are DRM free.

Bought this off Steam last night on an impulse.

Not sure why, as I hated Risen 2. Tried to get into it, but it ran like total shit on my admittedly old PC, and I found the combat impenetrable.

Really felt like playing a charming pirate RPG with lots of euro jank, so I went with part 3.

Played for two hours and holy shit, I really, really like it. So far the pace is great- after the into you start adventuring immediately. Voice acting is kinda silly, but I like the exploration, and it's great that PB understand the inherent appeal in playing as a pirate.

Combat is miles better than in Risen 2- I hear it gets way too easy, but that's cool. I'm just gonna enjoy the game for the exploration and character leveling. Fun so far!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot to go back to this game and finish it!

I remember getting to the second sea monster fight and just quitting because the controls were trash and the whole thing was about as boring as could be.

I should watch a video on how to quickly do that fight so I can go back and progress at some point.

Moff

I forgot to go back to this game and finish it!

I remember getting to the second sea monster fight and just quitting because the controls were trash and the whole thing was about as boring as could be.

I should watch a video on how to quickly do that fight so I can go back and progress at some point.

just put the game on easy, there are no achievements or anything for difficulties.
the sea battles are by very far the hardest parts of this game. just one of the many balancing problems this game has. it's also good to know that you can "sprint" and let the boat go faster.

One of the reasons I bought this game was because I heard it had sea monsters in it. I won't be afraid to drop down to 'easy mode' when they occur.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've got nothing against sea monsters, but the controls/mechanics were so monumentally shitty in the sections in which you encounter them that I just couldn't understand how they made the cut. The rest of the game plays just fine and is actually quite enjoyable.

-SD-

Banned
Patch 1.2 released. Comes with a new 'Ultra' difficulty setting.

For the DRM-free version: http://risen3.deepsilver.com/en/patch-12-download
Changelog Risen 3 Patch 1.20
--------------------------------------
New Feature:

• New difficulty mode "Ultra". In Ultra mode the player is not invincible anymore while evading and there is a cooldown while using healing potions
Balancing:

• Balancing adjustments in final sea serpent fights
  • Exploit fix: Jaffar doesn't multiply the value of collected gold pouches anymore
Bugfixes:

• Fixed issue where the player got stuck while jumping after climbing a ladder
  • Fixed issue where the player was unable to find the shimmering pearl in collected shells for the "The Sign of the Ancients" quest
  • Fixed crash when Jaffar tries to collect an item which is currently under telekinesis by the player
  • New session: Fixed rarely occurring issue where corpses were removed from the world so that some quests couldn't be resolved (Honor the Dead, Lost in the forbidden valley,...)
  • New session: In some rare cases, there where issues with Zacharias teleport onto Skullisland. Zacharias will now be teleported correctly.
This patch is only meant for the DRM-free retail edition. The patch is cumulative, working for all earlier game versions. Owners of the Steam version should update the game via Steam.

In some cases Avast Antivirus causes error messages, when starting the game the first time. Don't mind. Nevertheless the games works fine.

http://content.deepsilver.com/kochmedia/downloads/risen3/Risen3_Patch1.2.zip

Steam version: http://steamcommunity.com/games/249230/announcements/detail/222136192595737258

Moff

wow that's unexpected, I didn't expect them to ever patch the game again
I wonder if there is more to ultra difficulty than just what's mentioned here, the game had many balancing issues that made it too easy

Top Bottom