• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords |OT| The magic is back

Sentenza

You have to do 3 ship battles... 1st and 2nd were okay. for the 3rd I put the game on easy ( dunno if that changes anything) since it took forever to deal any damage and I died after like 10 minutes. I agree that they were awful. Once is okay, but 3 is really pushing it...
I honestly thought that, like I'm afraid too many things in PB games, they were an excellent concept implemented in a half-assed way.

But how is that any better than shooting fireballs and lightning without any sort of mana cost?
Well, you can parry, for a start.
Also: melee fatalities (I realize they are bullshit but I strangely enjoyed them).

squall23

You deal WAY, WAY less damage. Only real upside is that they can't block.
No, I disagree. I do much more damage per shot right now than any weapon and I've barely upgraded my magic stat alongside elemental weaknesses. I can also snipe things as long as I can see it.

Sentenza

Well, if you weren't actually interested in a honest answer you had just to state it: "I don't care, I think magic is more cool and I don't want to listen any reason to go melee".

So good news is you can get about 35ish points in a skill with the right potion recipe if you don't waste your valuable/rare plants. If your OK saving 50k± glory after your main combat skills are in place, you can get the achievements pretty easy.

The bad news is I only found 3 of the recipes in my entire play through and I searched everywhere.

Moff

magic is really overpowered. I would have welcomed some mana management honestly. it would have made alchemy and spirit more viable, too. using a gun or a sword when out of mana would not have hurt.

anyone played with focus on guns? are they as strong as magic and melee?

I actually liked the sea monster battles, I thought they were spectacular and thrilling, and far less janky than I feared.
but they definitely are the hardest part of the game, especially the third one. it helps to know though, that your ship can sprint. I did them on medium.

most of the permanent elixir recipes can be bought from faction vendors, the one for toughness is next to a chest on the island northeast of kali and the one for ranged combat is in the the secret room with that puzzle door in the ruins of calador.

squall23

Well, if you weren't actually interested in a honest answer you had just to state it: "I don't care, I think magic is more cool and I don't want to listen any reason to go melee".
But I am interested in an honest answer, it's just I can't see good reasons that as a Guardian should use melee over magic.

You say executions. OK, they look good. You say melee can parry. I don't need to parry when magic knocks back enemies or I can kill them before they reach me. Melee supposedly does more damage. Not from my own personal experiences, so that's anecdotal. Magic also has a cone AOE.

I looked at a few more videos of the classes and melee seems much more suited for Demon Hunters and much less for Guardians due to their focus on attack spells. So I'll probably focus more on that in my next run.

Sentenza

anyone played with focus on guns? are they as strong as magic and melee?
Not used them in this game (since I find them rather boring), but in Risen 2 guns were laughably overpowered above any other option, so chances are they are still strong as fuck even here.

In the only playthrough where I used them I remember exploding Mara in the final fight with literally just two critical shots in less than 6 seconds since the combat started.

Moff

yeah in risen 2 they were very strong. but I doubt they are as strong as magic in risen 3, which turns you basically into an invincible firestorm.

I wanted to play guns on my second playthorugh, but I really like the melee system, so I'm afraid guns might be very boring compared to other means of combat.

Banzai

Okay, I've finished the game. I was a caster Demon Hunter.

Overall, i definitely liked the game. Better than both Risen 1 and 2. Combat felt satisfying if a bit easy after going the magic route, quests are very reminiscent of gothic and the world is gorgeous.
What I feel is lacking is the story. They set up the attack of the Titans way back in Risen 1 and two games later I feel like very little was done with that. Seems the heroes got sidetracked by various Titan Lords causing somewhat minor mischief compared to the whole world going up in flames. Risen 3's villain was a bigger threat than Mara, at least, but the whole underworld stuff seemed unnecessary to introduce.
Plus where was the hero from R1 and 2? I only met him once drinking rum.

Anyway, I finished the game with 14 Soul points (Mean) and got a sort of "bad" ending I guess. Would be interesting to see if that has any significance in a Risen 4, if they ever make one.

Moff

I think they replaced the risen 1 and 2 hero, because the german voice actor was not available. the old hero has a different voice in the german version.
so they decided to change the hero, I honestly have no other explanation why they would change him.

Sentenza

I think they replaced the risen 1 and 2 hero, because the german voice actor was not available. the old hero has a different voice in the german version.
so they decided to change the hero, I honestly have no other explanation why they would change him.
I wouldn't bet my house on it but I think he sounded different even on the English version.

Incidentally, this gives me an excuse to point how much I preferred the previous character/voice actor (at least in English). I liked him a lot more.
Despise being a lot more "easy", more funny and trying less hard to act tough in most circumstances, he also was a genuine badass when needed.
This last one feels more like a more typical attempt to "grumpy hero".

Clydefrog

Someone mentioned the new hero sounds like Christian Bale's Batman... and at times I can't unhear it. I definitely prefer the old hero.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Left the starting island last night and went to the island the mages had made a base on. Now this is starting to feel like Risen! Warming up to the game a lot more now.

Also, it looks really really good. Far less noticeable pop-in of environmental assets than in Risen 2. They did a really good job with the lighting, too. I love this more natural look.

Terra_Ex

Finished it, better than I was expecting following on from Risen 2, I'm glad that I watched the "back to the roots" trailer and decided to give this a chance as I ended up enjoying it. Looking back, the tutorial really doesn't leave a good impression, which is unfortunate because the game itself is far better than what those opening moments would lead you to believe, a few hours in and you definitely start to feel that Risen 1 vibe again.

Combat becomes easier as the game goes on, I put off joining the Demon Hunters for a while but once I did combat became more fun as the whole gamut of abilities and spells became available. By the end of the game I could steamroll anything and the only enemies that posed a threat were the big shadow guardians if they happened to land a lucky strike from behind. The last boss was a pushover (disappointing as I remember Risen 1's boss giving me some trouble).

I'd say I enjoyed this about as much as I did with Risen 1 but for different reasons, this game does some things better and some things worse. I definitely preferred the one big landmass approach of Risen 1 over the separate islands and think the factions feel more meaningful if they have some actual proximity to one another and have conflicting ideals. As they're presented in Risen 3, it's little more than a decision over which uniform and abilities you want as the factions don't really have any quarrel with each other.

With regards to the previous hero, playing as new character this time around didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, I would have preferred to retain the previous PC, at least he had a cameo though.

The ending, was there an ending? Just barely... Wasn't this supposed to be the last Risen game, I was expecting a bit more personally if that's the case.

And Patty's redesign is ridiculous.

Clydefrog

about 10 hours in. i have a million quests going on. i have chests that i can't unlock and i've already forgotten where they are. i JUST learned the monkey training skill so now i have to go back and find those spots too.

2much4me

i also haven't upgraded from my "crab stabber" sword or bought any new armor. lol

Jag

about 10 hours in. i have a million quests going on. i have chests that i can't unlock and i've already forgotten where they are. i JUST learned the monkey training skill so now i have to go back and find those spots too.

2much4me

i also haven't upgraded from my "crab stabber" sword or bought any new armor. lol

Armor was pretty underwhelming. I wouldn't waste money on it. I stayed with the pre-order set the whole game. You also get a new set when you finally join a faction, which I recommend doing asap. It really adds some nice options. I just love fully upgraded Astral Vision. It is basically an x-ray for loot and creatures. I've found so much more that was hidden behind rocks or plants, etc.

I'm surprised you haven't found better weapons. I found a whole bunch of good swords. Get lockpicking up a bit maybe.

Durante

Also, it looks really really good. Far less noticeable pop-in of environmental assets than in Risen 2. They did a really good job with the lighting, too. I love this more natural look.
Yeah, it performs really well. And I said this in the screenshot thread, but I'll say it again: they have one of the best and most natural HDR / eye adaptation implementations in any dynamically lit open world game ever.

Moonstone

That's the magic of euro-jank. I had a similar thing with an objectively pretty mediocre to bad game, and still enjoyed my whole journey through the game much. The Dark Eye Demonicon

I loved that game too. Thought I was the only one. It bombed even in germany.

Denton

Don't understand the hate for tutorial/prologue. It was pretty standard fare. Nothing too annoying there.
Glad it's finally a weekend, I will properly delve into this tomorrow.

Moff

I loved that game too. Thought I was the only one. It bombed even in germany.

first time I heard of it, and I live in the german speaking room and actually kinda like the dark eye franchise.

Don't understand the hate for tutorial/prologue. It was pretty standard fare. Nothing too annoying there.
Glad it's finally a weekend, I will properly delve into this tomorrow.

yeah, I read in different forums about the game and I soon realised people who complain about the tutorial cant really be taken seriously. the same people think its a terrible flaw that you kill a dragon snapper - a classic, very hard creature from the gothic games - very easily early in the game (not only in the tutorial).

it's a bit odd, that GAF has the warmest reception of the game from all the forums I read. but most people here seem to like it. from gothic veterans to newcomers.

yeah, I read in different forums about the game and I soon realised people who complain about the tutorial cant really be taken seriously. the same people think its a terrible flaw that you kill a dragon snapper - a classic, very hard creature from the gothic games - very easily early in the game (not only in the tutorial).

it's a bit odd, that GAF has the warmest reception of the game from all the forums I read. but most people here seem to like it. from gothic veterans to newcomers.

Not going to lie, both of those things trouble me in a PB game. Haven't started it yet so not judging yet though.

Moff

well both of it is "true". the tutorial is a very linear level, where you are told about everything you can and need to to, to introduce new players to the genre and the franchise.

and dragon snappres are nowhere near as difficult as in the classic games.
but the difficulty is actually a real problem of the game and it goes much further than only dragon snappers. the game is so easy that many gameplay elements, abilities, items and perks become useless.

it's one of many peeves I have with this game, they are quite a few and most of them could have been changed so easily and would have made the game so much better, its a shame.
I still like it a lot and I will finish it this weekend.

Denton

From story perspective it makes sense that the snapper is easy. You have your spirit and equipment there. I assume now after the tutorial it won't be so easy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it performs really well. And I said this in the screenshot thread, but I'll say it again: they have one of the best and most natural HDR / eye adaptation implementations in any dynamically lit open world game ever.

Indeed. I've been really impressed with how the lighting changes when moving indoors and outdoors in an environment. Very technically impressive game for sure.

Clydefrog

They could have made this game much difficult/better if the companions weren't invincible. Just give them a decent health bar. If they fall during a fight, mark them unconscious until the end of the fight. Also, give the hero the ability to heal the companion post-fight.

IIRC, in the Gothic games, monsters could kill NPCs. Like, for good.

Moff

well you could kill NPC's, too, in gothic. even all of them in gothic 3. about half of them in risen 1 and only a handful in risen 2 and 3. I really miss that. but the whole "angry NPC" mechanic is bad, too, in risen 2 and 3. they just revert back to normal after a minute. that really takes aways a lot of immersion and consequences of your actions. I dont know why they couldnt bring back the "forget" spell from past games. a small change that would have improved the game immensely.

and I agree, companions are far too strong. they are indeed immortal btw. they can only be knocked out, but even that happens rarely. the companions, the instant eat/drink and the immense damage output hero make the game incredibly easy. each one of those aspects would have made the game too easy, but we get all three of them.

Zukuu

Banned
IIRC, in the Gothic games, monsters could kill NPCs. Like, for good.
And you could kill them as well. No fucks given. You can kill pretty much everyone and the story just continues. Risen 3 is really a lot more streamlined. Stealing is also incredible easy and the game is PRETTY forgiving when it comes to non-combat related stuff. That is also something that bugged me a bit, it doesn't feel as alive as Gothic 1 and 2. To this day, both games have the best atmosphere in gaming history. The world just feels incredible alive and every NPC seems to serve a purpose. The day night cycle and daily routine here was a joke in comparison.

Przemqo

Neo Member
Putting all saved points into Magic, Aura and Endurance (I don't know whether these are exact english names for skills) and choosing Guardians, after 10 hours, game became dissapointingly easy ;/

-SD-

Banned
Perhaps there's still hope...

Michael Hoge, one of the founders of Piranha Bytes, seems to have left PB and has had his own project going on for two years now: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1377413-Mike-Hoge-is-back

Mike Hoge said:
Mattias Filler drew my attention to this thread. There seems to be some more of this kind, so here's a quick statement for all the curious ones:

1. I wasn't involved in the development of Risen 3
2. As a matter of fact, I did lock myself in for two years to work on a new concept, but not on Gothic. A prototype of this concept is getting implemented by a small core team since the beginning of this month.
3. Before you ask: I cannot give out any infos yet. First of all, we want to take our time with everything and second, this is not the right place for that.

Please understand that I don't want to disclose anything yet about the new project. Those who are interested won't have to wait too long for some infos :)

http://www.piranha-bytes.com/gothic2/content_english/piranhabits_team_mike.php
http://www.worldofrisen.de/english/article_293.htm

Sentenza

Michael Hoge, one of the founders of Piranha Bytes, seems to have left PB and has had his own project going on for two years now: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1377413-Mike-Hoge-is-back

And so the cycle of hype and hope continues:
"Next time. Maybe next time they will definitely nail it and top all their previous works" is what I think every time i hear about a new PB project (or in this case a project from one of PB's original founders).

Moff

Maybe a kickstarter? I wonder how much he could raise if he promises to keep all classic gothic traditions and gameplay mechanics in place. its not like gothic was ever a popular international game. so I doubt it will be a big budget production, which is not a good thing for an open world rpg.

piranha bytes are going to ask themselves, too, where they are going next. risen 3 has an even worse metacritic score than risen 2. personally, I hope they will stay on the course they took from risen 2 to risen 3.

kd-z

And so the cycle of hype and hope continues:
"Next time. Maybe next time they will definitely nail it and top all their previous works" is what I think every time i hear about a new PB project (or in this case a project from one of PB's original founders).
Well, they did manage to out-do themselves once. I think Gothic II is superior to Gothic I. That was over ten years ago, though, but hope never dies!
Maybe a kickstarter? I wonder how much he could raise if he promises to keep all classic gothic traditions and gameplay mechanics in place. its not like gothic was ever a popular international game. so I doubt it will be a big budget production, which is not a good thing for an open world rpg.

piranha bytes are going to ask themselves, too, where they are going next. risen 3 has an even worse metacritic score than risen 2. personally, I hope they will stay on the course they took from risen 2 to risen 3.
Maybe they should tackle a smaller project? I don't how big Risen 3's world is, but Gothic I and II's not-so-gigantic worlds actually helped, because every location was memorable and hand-crafted.

Moipa

Neo Member

I don't know, maybe that doesn't mean that he has left PB, but that he is just working on an other project of PB.

Loginius

Finished the game yesterday after ~55h or so.

Really good game with some glaring issues holding it back from being great imo.

The biggest problem I had is that everything is way to easy, combat is a joke and only gets easier over the course of the game.
The system actually works quite well but evade is just broken, countering is too easy to do and if you cast magic no one can touch you.
Scratch evade make countering harder to do and maybe add a mana bar or something and this would have probably been the best combat system pb has developed until now.
(And get rid of the companion, he beaks combat)

Second problem is related to the first, you can go everywhere and kill everyone from the start, ruins the experience only gothic 1 and 2 did this right.

Stealing is incredible easy as well and at the end of the game i maxed every stat except for firearms... I did never use any consumable except for rations and the drinks that give a permanent stat bonus.
I was also swimming in gold and had nothing to spend it on.

And finally I dont like the islands.
I had the same problem with risen 2 (where it was even worse) but having all those "small" islands instead of a big, connected area just doesn't feel as good when exploring imo.

Besides those things I loved every minute of it, dialogue is great, exploring is fun, the islands are designed incredible well and minigames were a nice addition.

V_Ben

Banned
Any praise of the dialogue makes me smile, thank you for that. We did the recording and casting for the game, I believe I'm in there somewhere :)

Sentenza

Is it worth playing 2 or should I skip right to this?
Hard to say. Some people (myself included) liked Risen 2 just enough to be entertained with it even recognizing its issues.
A lot of other people, probably even more, seem to think it's more or less absolute garbage.

Corpekata

Banned
Finished the gnomes isle DLC and while it was a nice change of pace I think it's a pretty good example of why DLC doesn't work in this series. The whole connected world, finding treasure maps on one island to get you cool powerups on another, bouncing around between them all is probably one of the primary appeals. With the DLC segmented off it just kinda feels flat. If they do DLC I'd rather see an expansion with multiple areas rather than an area at a time.

Ore just one rather large area like the original Risen.

Denton

Finally put some decent hours into this.

I like it a lot. It has that PB charm and seriously beautiful world and graphics. Just wish draw distance for NPC/creatures was longer.

That said, damn this game is easy. Obviously I travel with Bones (though now that I came to Calador, I chose Edward since he has quest there), but I haven't encountered an enemy I was not able to defeat. By far easiest PB game ever, and I will never understand how could it give Angry Joe so much trouble.

So far I explored Crab Coast, Antigua and Ticaragua, and a bit of Calador. I want to joing the Demon Hunters. That said, if I join them now, will I miss out on some quests for the other factions?

Zukuu

Banned
Finally put some decent hours into this.

I like it a lot. It has that PB charm and seriously beautiful world and graphics. Just wish draw distance for NPC/creatures was longer.

That said, damn this game is easy. Obviously I travel with Bones (though now that I came to Calador, I chose Edward since he has quest there), but I haven't encountered an enemy I was not able to defeat. By far easiest PB game ever, and I will never understand how could it give Angry Joe so much trouble.

So far I explored Crab Coast, Antigua and Ticaragua, and a bit of Calador. I want to joing the Demon Hunters. That said, if I join them now, will I miss out on some quests for the other factions?
I think you will only miss the initiation quest, if there is one specific one. I joined the DH and had plenty of quests to for the other factions.

Top Bottom