• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords |OT| The magic is back

Durante

Well, I could say more or less the same, but in retrospective I regretted what I did.
As in any PB game I started putting all my initial points in social skills, without leveling combat at all.
I'm doing the same right now. It feels like it would be a waste to level any combat skills when I plan to be only casting later.

Banzai

So what does the soul meter do? I like being an ass to people, but Bones said something about people not wanting to speak to me anymore if I turn "demonic"?

Sentenza

So what does the soul meter do? I like being an ass to people, but Bones said something about people not wanting to speak to me anymore if I turn "demonic?
Hard to tell how much it changes things on the other side of the spectrum, but I can tell you that playing as "the good guy" so far I hardly noticed any influence from that meter.
Then again maybe it will play a specific role at some point during the story... ?

Moff

So what does the soul meter do? I like being an ass to people, but Bones said something about people not wanting to speak to me anymore if I turn "demonic"?

some companions will leave you if you are too high or too low.
I read in a review that it has very little influence on the rest of the game.

It didn't even require me to level up to get the hang of the battle system. I'd say it's the best in any PB game yet.

Actually, I don't see how it would make sense in that case either. If someone else has drawn the map in-universe, why can't you add your own markers in-universe?

A lack of custom map markers makes sense neither when you see it as a virtual help for the player nor when you see it as an in-game artifact.

It matters how those markers would work I guess. If they provided some sort position marker when you aren't looking at the map that isn't really something I would want from a PB game. If it was you physically drawing on the map things that you couldn't just remove and would need a new map if you wanted one without the marker then that would feel more like something in a PB game.

The stuff I liked about the original gothic games was that any part of the UI was there as a necessity, as in you had to know your health and mana and a page to look at your stats, but other then that it was in world stuff. Crafting didn't pop up a crafting screen, you had to find a craft related station to use and then pick from the things you wanted to make. Maps were physical items with importance. Nothing to remove you from the gameworld and not many things that felt like it was there for "video game" reasons. Heck, even skill trainers actually told your character how to preform an action you were getting taught instead of just being able to do it when you spent points.

Eh, kinda went off on a tangent here I think. Moving on...

sadly you have all the maps from start, one of a few not understandable design decisions in this game.

Oh well, one little thing isn't going to ruin the game for me.

Denton

Would you guys recommend the first and/or the second one?

First is undeniably great, but has dungeony endgame (last 5 or so hours maybe?) that get somewhat boring. But still a great game.

Second I enjoyed a lot, maybe even more than first, but many people hate it for various (deserved) reasons. Combat system is bad, world is not as cohesive, etc.

Jag

I have a bunch of permanent stat increase herbs. Does anyone know if this can be made into potions to increase the stat value? I don't want to use them all and find out later they could be improved.

Pyrrhus

I have a bunch of permanent stat increase herbs. Does anyone know if this can be made into potions to increase the stat value? I don't want to use them all and find out later they could be improved.

I haven't played the game yet, but almost certainly yes. This has been possible in every single PB game including this one's immediate predecessor. Hold onto them until you can learn alchemy from somebody.

Zukuu

Banned
The only thing I dislike about the game so far is that it doesn't allow you to create custom map markers.

My solution is currently very low-tech;
20140816_1347473fsui.jpg
Yeah I'm missing that feature as well. I actually thought about the same idea, but went with pen and paper to mark the location and lockpick-strength of chests I can't open yet.
Yes. You don't even need to level alchemy for that. You just need to get the "brew potion" skill and find the recipe. It turns the +2 herbs into +5 potions. You can learn the skill right away with 2k gold in Ticagura (or something) right away.

Zukuu

Banned
Does anyone know if this game is better than Divinity?? I haven't played any Risens before
Aren't comparable, but objectively no. Divinity is a gem, Risen 3 is more of a substitute to calm down that Gothic-itch. Gothic 2 > Gothic > Risen 1 >>>> Risen 2 (dunno where to place Risen 3 yet, before Risen 2 for sure tho; Gothic 3 is kinda a mixed bag - depends what the community changed up till now - then it might even be an awesome game).

KePoW

Banned
Aren't comparable, but objectively no. Divinity is a gem, Risen 3 is more of a substitute to calm down that Gothic-itch. Gothic 2 > Gothic > Risen 1 >>>> Risen 2 (dunno where to place Risen 3 yet, before Risen 2 for sure tho; Gothic 3 is kinda a mixed bag - depends what the community changed up till now - then it might even be an awesome game).

ah ok thx pal

I've never played any Gothics either, so I dunno

Jag

Yeah I'm missing that feature as well. I actually thought about the same idea, but went with pen and paper to mark the location and lockpick-strength of chests I can't open yet.

That's a good idea. I just bumped up my lockpicking first because I can't stand to leave any chest unopened. I was very surprised they don't have map marking. At least they list the trainers and merchants.

Yes. You don't even need to level alchemy for that. You just need to get the "brew potion" skill and find the recipe. It turns the +2 herbs into +5 potions. You can learn the skill right away with 2k gold in Ticagura (or something) right away.

Thanks. I trained alchemy but forgot that you need brew potions.

Moff

Would you guys recommend the first and/or the second one?

they are all quite different, it probably depends on what you are looking for.
if you want the developers undeniably best game, that would be gothic 2. it looks very dated (early 3D graphics), plays very clunky, direct and simple, but has at the same time very deep and complex mechanics and great world building. one of my favourite RPGs of all time. tons of fan content out there, too.

Does anyone know if this game is better than Divinity?? I haven't played any Risens before

In this year, I had the pleasure to play a few very good old school RPGS, Might and Magic X: Legacy, Divinity: Original Sin and Risen 3.
the best thing about it is that they are all very different and offer different kind of things. I dont know if I could rank them.

Moff

what exactly does the alchemy skill do anyway? you dont need it for better potions. dies it just increase the lenght of effects?

Zukuu

Banned
Haha, the Gothic 1 reference. :D

The guy who inhabits a house with now 2 doors everyone just runs through in Calador.

Sentenza

what exactly does the alchemy skill do anyway? you dont need it for better potions. dies it just increase the lenght of effects?
Effect duration and power, as far as i can tell. And that's pretty much it. Yeah, definitely not something I would invest much on.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
3- 4 hours in and still having a blast, I'm actually finding myself enjoying the combat more and more :) You have to be so careful with your timing and your strikes. Is a lot of fun.

http://youtu.be/N40ffShXHNE

I also find myself laughing out loud to a lot of the dialogue as some of it reflects what I'm thinking of at the time. Piranha Bytes games have always had fun, sweary dialogue which is never dull.

WWV0UZb.jpg

Moff

somehow I dont like the swearing in english at all, i dont know why, I think its hilarious in german, though.

but yeah, some of the dialogue is pretty good again. also quite self reflective.
once I had the option to take a quest where I would have to clean a depot with a broom, and when I chose "yes I'll do it" the hero will just say "no way i would ever do that", you can do that three times and then he'll say "I'll just find someone else who will do it"

another time a vendor told me he would sell me his wares but I'll need to do him some favors first, bring him the sword of destruction, the heart of a dragon and the eye of wisdom, all the quests popped up in my log while he said it. when you tell him you'll do it he will say its just a joke and all the quets are aborted.

KePoW

Banned
In this year, I had the pleasure to play a few very good old school RPGS, Might and Magic X: Legacy, Divinity: Original Sin and Risen 3.
the best thing about it is that they are all very different and offer different kind of things. I dont know if I could rank them.

hey I remember you from the MMX thread, that was a good game

Durante

One thing I'm really happy about is the freedom of movement the game gives you. When the dominant open world RPG series drops levitation skills spells and vertical traversal options it's very nice to see a game giving you a flying spell in its tutorial area.

Arulan

One thing I'm really happy about is the freedom of movement the game gives you. When the dominant open world RPG series drops levitation skills spells and vertical traversal options it's very nice to see a game giving you a flying spell in its tutorial area.

Ugh... don't remind me. To think some people actually defend this because of "balance", because it doesn't have anything to do with load screen cities, not at all...

Reading through the impressions in this thread has me cautiously optimistic about this one. I really need to finish D:OS though.

Zukuu

Banned
Melee gets immensely more fun once you learn Riposte. That should have been a basic skill imo. Really adds a sense of timing and makes dodging not the only viable option.

edit:
There is a duck named Dagobert. If you kill it, it drops 100g. lol

edit 2:
Wow just joined the Demon Hunters and holy smokes, the new dash animation
(teleporting around)
is so frigging awesome. <3 You can also immediately learn ALL spells as far as I can tell.

Moff

has there ever been a magic melee system like this before? that allows to cast spells in a ranged- AND in a combo-style melee mode? did they steal or actually create that?

Vlodril

Really enjoying the game so far, i just wanted to ask about Rust. It doesnt seem to break the chest locks. Is it used for other kinds of locks or am i using it wrong (could be)?

Moff

Really enjoying the game so far, i just wanted to ask about Rust. It doesnt seem to break the chest locks. Is it used for other kinds of locks or am i using it wrong (could be)?

it does
but you need a high enough magic skill

on each lock you see three numbers, the one on the left is your lockpick sill, the one in the middle (blue) is your magic skill, the one on the right is the lock level.

so one of the 2 left numbers needs to be at least as high as the one on the right, and for the rust spell the blue one in the middle needs to be at least as high as the one on the right.

Loginius

So after about 20h into the game I finally realized why I dont like it as much as I did gothic 1 and 2 even though I think the worlddesign is once again the way it was in pb´s most glorious times.

There is no advancement.

In Gothic 1 and 2 you could go everywhere from the start.
Actually no you could not because that waran would kill you faster than you could read its name.
Having npc´s show you the way was crucial, maybe you would even kite some stronger monsters to them that aren't actually on the route because it would make the fight easier, but you would risk the npcs live in the process (I reloaded 1000 times because of this).
The mob had warnings when you approached signaling that they are about to attack, this way you could seperate them from the group which was absolutely necessary at the start.

In Risen 3 I arrive at a island, can go anywhere and can, without putting any stats in combat or joining a faction or anything, slay the strongest monsters there are even in hordes because evade is simply broken.

The game is still very good in my opinion, I dont have any problem with the jank, the bad cuscenes or the horrible animations but the fact that I have no trouble killing any monster and can go everywhere without effort is enough to put this way behind gothic 1 and 2 in my book.

And this will only get worse when I finally start to pour some points into the combat stats...

Moff

the game definitely has balancing problems in many areas, not only combat.
but combat is unbalanced mainly because of the companions, they make the game super easy. i definitely recommend playing it on hard.

you notice that they made secret areas, which reward exploration and have "hard" enemies, like the big guardians or the dragon snappers. but even these groups are no problem with an almost immortal tanking companion.

Sentenza

Yeah, abusing the companion's help can trivialize the game's difficulty a lot, which tied with what's frankly a not exactly-massively-diversified bestiary doesn't make the game any favor.
Also, we were just commenting with a friend (the one who's making me play his copy while I'm waiting to receive mine as a gift; long story, I won a bet...) and on another forum about how there's something messed up with trasures and chests in this sequel.
Risen 1 and 2 used to reward you with stuff that was definitely worth the effort when you found a treasure or unlocked a strongly guarded/locked chest, but here for some reason is incredibly common to find garbage where you were assuming "phat loot".

kd-z

Guys, your impressions and this video make me want to buy this game ASAP. Gothic I and II are some of my most beloved games (partially because I played them to death as a kid). I didn't finish Risen (got stuck at some stupid fight) or Risen 2 (was actually playing the review code before the release and a key character disappeared due to a bug :/), so right now I'm debating whether I should buy Risen 3 or go back to those games (which will take a while... or a lot of whiles). Grr!

Loginius

so right now I'm debating whether I should buy Risen 3 or go back to those games (which will take a while... or a lot of whiles). Grr!

If you are concerned about the story just buy it now you wont miss anything imo.
Some characters and locations return but nothing that you wont understand without having played the other 2 (or reading ~3 sentences about the story of the first 2 games).

but combat is unbalanced mainly because of the companions, they make the game super easy. i definitely recommend playing it on hard.
I dont even think the companion is the main culprit, I can just leave him at the ship and be done with that balance problem, evade on the other hand.

You are basically immortal if you evade after every attack and only attack after youre enemy finished his animation...

To be honest I think the game might be better if they would scratch evade completely, you can block and you can run which both seem fairly strong and balanced, evading is such a cheap move in this game its unbelievable.
You cant even fall of a cliff evading.

Moff

Risen 1 and 2 used to reward you with stuff that was definitely worth the effort when you found a treasure or unlocked a strongly guarded/locked chest, but here for some reason is incredibly common to find garbage where you were assuming "phat loot".
really? I dont agree.
especially risen 2 didnt feel at all rewarding with high level chests, there was mostly money in it. in risen 3, there are great weapons in the high level chests, and in exploration. I just found one of the best muskets in the game on the roof of the tavern in caldera.you need to parrot fly there from the mountains.

Sentenza

really? I dont agree.
especially risen 2 didnt feel at all rewarding with high level chests, there was mostly money in it. in risen 3, there are great weapons in the high level chests, and in exploration. I just found one of the best muskets in the game on the roof of the tavern in caldera.you need to parrot fly there from the mountains.
Well, in Risen 2 all chests had a mix of loot and money whic hranged from 1000 money going up. Sometime special rare "collectables", too.

in Risen 3 they seem to be a lot more inconsistent with this stuff, It happened to me to dig out treasures for amounts of 200-300 gold coins at most and picklocking chests with 90+ skill required that contained stuff like "3 food rations, 2 common herbs, 25 coins".
I was like "What the hell?" most of the times.

Moff

If I remember correctly, in risen 2 the collectibles and quest weapons were all in low level chests. and high level chests had never something interesting in them, except a lot of money. a high lock picking skill was useless, because money wasnt a problem anyway at the point you had such a high skill.

now theres a lot of great weapons in high level chests in risen 3, I really liked that and it makes lockpicking really worth it.

Sentenza

now theres a lot of great weapons in high level chests in risen 3, I really liked that and it makes lockpicking really worth it.
Like what? Because I finished the game and I would claim that there isn't a lot of great weapons in the entire game, let alone specifically as loot in chests.

Moff

Like what? Because I finished the game and I would claim that there isn't a lot of great weapons in the entire game, let alone specifically as loot in chests.

the best guns I found where the one mentioned above on a roof and in a 110 chest on tikaragua. the best pistol is on the chest with the dragonsnapper on the tutorial island. there was a great crossbow on calador somwehere in a chest, in the mines I think. although I already found a better one later in the shadow lord cave. tons of amulets and rings, too. those are just the ones I remember, but generally, high level chests really contain usable items.

I just played risen 2 two weeks ago and it really bothered me that there was never anything usable in high level chests.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Just over 10 hours in and loving the hell out of this, easily going to be one of my favourite games this year. TBH I'm really enjoying the combat so far. Using muskets, shotguns and swords has been a lot of fun as well as the powers too (scrolls, spells etc). I don't know, maybe I'm just forgiving or something but I think the combat's genuinely decent especially when compared to something like Skyrim which I found to be mediocre.

Anyway it's a damned decent RPG and I'm enjoying the quests a lot. Some great dialogue What made me laugh was looking at Angry Joes complaints about the combat and then I started using companions shortly afterwards which just slaughter everything lol.
Not sure how long this is going to last for but I've over 10 hours in and only been on the 3 smallish islands so far. Not even gone to Calador yet (which looks huge)

Despite Risen 2 being worse than 3 combat wise (well so I'm told mostly) is it still worth playing for the quests/dialogue etc ? I've never played the Gothic games either and it puts me in a mood to get them as well (though from what I can gather they are even worse combat wise ?)

Zukuu

Banned
I found high end weapons in chests, but it seems you can buy better ones from the guy in Killa. Personally, I crafted that legendary sword (the one you can buy is only 5 damage worse since it has +5 swords on it).

I really need to find the toughness reciepe... I'm sitting on 5 permanent plants for it and I'm already the 2nd to last island.

xenist

Ugh. I'm trying to save points until I also have some magic available and the combat is ridiculous because of that. It feels like I have a feather duster instead of a sword. The damn Guardians better let me in quickly.

Gold seems much harder to earn than in previous games, always feel poor haha.

I love the Demon Hunter dodge though, so awesome. Gotta explore some other islands now that I've become a Demon Hunter, barely looked at the others.

rakhir

Yeah, i've got my first game braking bug! It's a Piranha Bytes game, alright! I had to edit my save game file with a hex editor!
Now i know how hex editors work, guys. It's a learning experience.

And I really enjoy the game, since I wouldn't bother with fixing it if that wasn't the case.

My bug:
It's in Kila. You need to get a shinning pearl from a special set of clams in the north. The game is tracking how many you opened and should give you the quest pearl on the 9th try. The problem is that i've already been on that beach and my count was at 11 before i've got that quest... I had to go back to the beach, gather clams that i've missed and edit my save file to lower my count to 7, so that the second shell I've opened gave me the pearl.
Fortunately i missed few shells and could finish the game this way, If someone used all them beforehand is fucked.
Ofc i would have never figured it out by myself, found the solution on official forums.

Top Bottom