• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 3: Titan Lords |OT| The magic is back

Kiru

Read a review in a magazine recently, they didn't want to rate it early because PB said they are still going to fix some stuff, but their tendency was around 85-88% out of 100%

Moff

I really like the way they designed magic combat in this game. with the aim button you can shoot fireballs with a reticule just like in risen 1.
but with the usual attack buttons you will use melee/mid range versions of the spell, including combos and finishers, as seen in this gif
risen94e2s.gif

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah I'm probably going heavy magic this time. Melee focus of Risen 2, even with guns and vodoo was a bit too bland for me. Don't really play magic users too often in these types of games anyway so a change of pace will probably help either way.

Banzai

wow didnt know this was releasing so soon.
Risen 2 was only okay, but this looks like it might be closer to gothic 1 and 2, so ill give it a try.
think ill go with magic this time around, but the guardians look like the most boring faction...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be there for it eventually despite not even finishing Risen 2 yet (which is more due to time than hating it tbh). From the streams the combat looks a lot more fun than 2s anyway.

I just wish Deep Silver weren't such bastards with their pricing in the UK, £40! Ok you can get it cheaper than that but they've always been bad for pricing over here.

Moff

is there blood magic? and can i summon/make zombies and ghosts?

yes you can summon minions, I havent seen one but I'm pretty sure some undead will be among them, they are the standard in piranha bytes games.

the demon hunter faction can master summoning runes, but everyone can use them, just with a limit.

Oh my god the combat :O Did they seriously learn one single thing since Gothic 1? Yes, that's a little hyperbolic, but for the love of god are they not seeing this? Have they played ANY of the modern action RPGs?

I don't mean to hate on it, I loved the Gothic series back in the day and I would lvoe to play Risen 3, but I don't think I can put up with this.

cripterion

Would like to get this but not willing to shell 49,99€ for it. Will pick it up when it's under 10€. And by then the community patch getting rid of the bugs would probably out.

HeelPower

People who know all about this game please answer :

1)Is this action RPG ?

2) is the story independent from other sequels ?

3)Is this focused on story or combat ?

4)linear or non-linear ?

Thanks.

JohnGrimm

1)Is this action RPG ?

4)linear or non-linear ?

Thanks.
1.) Kind of. It's an RPG and there's plenty of action, but it's not an 'ARPG' (Diablo/Torchlight).

2.) Probably not. It looks like there are characters from previous games, but you should be fine if you've never played it.

3.) Both.

4.) Linear story, non linear exploration.

GECK

Please be more 1 than 2.

Yeah 2 was rubbish.

The first 3/4 of Risen were pretty damn great, though nothing approaching Gothic 2 levels of amazing. The last 1/4 of the game felt rushed, unfinished and wasn't enjoyable at all. Like they just gave up.

Moff

1)Is this action RPG ?

4)linear or non-linear ?

Thanks.

1) it has the same amount of action as other open world RPGs like skyrim, but on top of that provides a much deeper RPG experience and much more dialogue. be prepared to talk a lot.

2) its a sequel in the same world with many known characters from both past 2 games, but a whole new story, new player character and can be played easily if you dont know the first two games. you might just not get all the references.

3) yes, both, there is tons of both

4) the game will open up at some point and you will be able to play different parts of the main story in the order you wish in a very non-linear fashion.

Killzig

1) it has the same amount of action as other open world RPGs like skyrim, but on top of that provides a much deeper RPG experience and much more dialogue. be prepared to talk a lot.
From my experience with Risen 1/2 and the video posted above this is not a point in the game's favor.

Sentenza

From my experience with Risen 1/2 and the video posted above this is not a point in the game's favor.
Well, actually it is. While not too flashy and spectacular, their dialogues are usually well grounded in the setting and generally good.
By the way I wouldn't really say in Gothic/Risen you talk " a lot". There aren't hours and hours of dialogues and exposition.
BUT -and that's another thing I love about those Piranha Byte's games- all the dialogues in the game are typically meaningful and coherent to the characters.
A NPC talks to you? It's most likely to tell you something useful. Something happens during a quest? Chance are you'll have an option to talk about it with the characters involved.
They usually make very reactive worlds.

Druz

I already bought the game weeks ago because I know I'm just going to play it. That said it is looking like Gothic 4 a lot, and I don't like that at all.

Doesn't anything say what is happening with the previous two main characters? It's annoying that Piranha Bytes assumes we should just accept they have vanished in thin air

xenist

Yeah 2 was rubbish.

The first 3/4 of Risen were pretty damn great, though nothing approaching Gothic 2 levels of amazing. The last 1/4 of the game felt rushed, unfinished and wasn't enjoyable at all. Like they just gave up.

Yeah, they'd just spam dudes at you. Still, the first three quarters were excellent.

Moff

I can absolutely understand that. not everyone likes to listen to tons of dialogue in RPGs and I honestly cannot judge the english version of the game. but for me, the dialogue is one of the top three reasons why I love piranha bytes games. its has a really unique, very rough charm. but I play them in their original german verision so it might be hard to translate that into other languages.

I already bought the game weeks ago because I know I'm just going to play it. That said it is looking like Gothic 4 a lot, and I don't like that at all. Doesn't anything say what is happening with the previous two main characters? It's annoying that Piranha Bytes assumes we should just accept they have vanished in thin air
risen 2 had the same main character as risen 1 :p
and he will also appear in risen 3, but not as the player character.

I expect this game to be much better than gothic 4, but we will see.

Durante

I'm really curious about this one. Could be a sleeper hit, could just be decent. (I don't think it will be bad)

Sentenza

So much hate for Risen 2, it's a great game, better than 1. And the setting was fresh and amazing.
Eh, I loved the Pirate-themed setting, but in terms of core mechanics and map design pretty much everything was a step back from the first one.
Worse combat, worse exploration, worse quests, etc.

It had better characters and dialogues, though.

Moff

So much hate for Risen 2, it's a great game, better than 1. And the setting was fresh and amazing.

I replayed risen 2 last week and risen 1 right now and I somewhat agree.

when I started risen 1 after the risen 2 credits rolled I immediately thought "wow, this is like gothic again, great".
unlike risen 2, risen 1 definitely has the classic gothic mechanics. it feels really, really good. but I was never the biggest risen 1 fan, even on release, I felt very underwhelmed with it. it lacked highlights and felt overall quite... boring?

I think they really improved on that with risen 2, it had also many more memorable characters, little improvements like the lock picking, the party mechanics and overall pretty great quest design. there are next to no "get 10 furs" quests. I also really liked that the world was split in different islands, it made the world feel bigger and the quest more epic.

but obviously, risen 2's strengths were overshadowed by its dumb downed game mechanics, poor combat and lack of magic and real factions. still, I think its better than its reputation and deserves some credit and I'm glad they are keeping some things from risen 2 for risen 3.

Druz

risen 2 had the same main character as risen 1 :p
and he will also appear in risen 3, but not as the player character.

I expect this game to be much better than gothic 4, but we will see.

I think I actually knew this back when I played Risen 2. Just hard to believe the characters have any relation I guess.

yarden24

I loved the first risen(though it kinda of lost steam at the end there) , which made me buy risen 2 as soon as it came out, risen 2 made me decide to wait until risen 3 is 15-20$ before i buy it.

I can absolutely understand that. not everyone likes to listen to tons of dialogue in RPGs and I honestly cannot judge the english version of the game. but for me, the dialogue is one of the top three reasons why I love piranha bytes games. its has a really unique, very rough charm. but I play them in their original german verision so it might be hard to translate that into other languages.
Believe me Moff - the Piranha Bytes dialogue is translated wonderfully into English. In fact it uses local dialects and language inflections perfectly. It's probably my favourite thing about the games.

I've been replaying Risen 2 in anticipation, and Barney the deaf cannoneers line - "DO YOU HAVE SOMEONE WHO HELPS YOU?" had me laughing again for a good minute.

HeelPower

2) its a sequel in the same world with many known characters from both past 2 games, but a whole new story, new player character and can be played easily if you dont know the first two games. you might just not get all the references.

3) yes, both, there is tons of both

4) the game will open up at some point and you will be able to play different parts of the main story in the order you wish in a very non-linear fashion.

1.) Kind of. It's an RPG and there's plenty of action, but it's not an 'ARPG' (Diablo/Torchlight).

2.) Probably not. It looks like there are characters from previous games, but you should be fine if you've never played it.

3.) Both.

4.) Linear story, non linear exploration.

looks good then.

Thanks guys!

TheTrain

Subscribed, good job OP.
My pre order is ready, probably i'll go for a Mage in the first run!
Someone know if there are bow/crossbow available?

Moff

Crossbows will be available, bows not.

apparently, crossbows and throwing knives will be secondary weapons while muskets and shotguns will be primary weapons. no bows.

I really hope the muskets are fun this time, I find the idea of a musket wielding, skeleton summoning demon hunter strangely appealing.

Haunted

I really like the way they designed magic combat in this game. with the aim button you can shoot fireballs with a reticule just like in risen 1.
but with the usual attack buttons you will use melee/mid range versions of the spell, including combos and finishers, as seen in this gif
risen94e2s.gif
A dynamic spell-casting combo system?

Haven't seen something this good since Kingdoms of Amalur.

Moff

you wont be the only one who is disappointed by the diversity this game offers in the equipment department. not only will there be no bows, but no two handed weapons, no shields and no axes. I understand that they want the timeline to move on and all these weapons would seem to medieval, especialls after the introduction of muskets in risen 2, bows would probably no longer make sense, but then they shouldnt really call the game "back to the roots", especially because I think they were just too lazy to overhaul the risen 2 mechanics.
I know its just a 25 people developer.

-SD-

Banned
Thanks, Moff. Good OT, you've put together here.

Risen 1 apparently has a common issue that makes it not run on Windows 7.

Risen 2 apparently doesn't work either. So much for that I guess.
Both work great on my Win7 64-bit Intel+NVIDIA PC.

Sentenza

No shields? So you just use a one handed sword? Wth?
If it's anything like Risen 2 you essentially used just one handed weapons and then used the off-hand for occasional utility items (shooting with the gun on your belt, throwing sand to blind the opponent, etc).

Both work great on my Win7 64-bit Intel+NVIDIA PC.
Same here. Played both from start to finish more than once on Windows 7 64bit.
That sounds bullshit.

Top Bottom