• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RNC suspending GOP Feb '16 debate with NBC (Because lol CNBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So MSNBC isn't news then. They are a propaganda network for the left and Democrat party. Democrats do debates on their own propaganda network as well.

I wish MSNBC was a liberal propaganda machine lol. The Democrats don't really have any consistent, hard left, extremely dedicated news network akin to Fox News.

OuterLimits

Sure, why not? What's the point, though? What argument are you trying to make? That the CNBS debate moderators sucked? Because almost everyone here agrees with you. As has been pointed out.

Actually quite a few aren't. I'm reading a fair amount of comments on here saying the questions were fair.

If you were a Republican would you want to go on at network again after the last debate?

Btw, I agree they are using this to score political points as well.

kirblar

Some of the questions were good hard questions. Some of them were joke questions that deserve to be ridiculed. That doesn't mean the GOP aren't little crybabies doing this though.

EDIT: If anything, the joke questions just gave the GOP candidates an out to avoid answering the real tough ones. Just complain liberal media.
I only caught a bit of it where they just laid out actual stuff and had them try to defend it. I liked them having to squirm.

kess

He's a damned brainiac, even if you don't like his politics.

Lex always gets the better of Brainiac tho

CLHJIj4WEAI1jbL.jpg:large

Jonm1010

Banned
So MSNBC isn't news then. They are a propaganda network for the left and Democrat party.

Oh, so we are gonna go down the road of this tired false equivalency nonsense?

Exactly what is the ultimate point of this post though?

Even if we just assume what you infer is 100% true and they are equal but on different sides of the political spectrum, what relevance does this have to the point I made? Are Republicans planning on going onto MSNBC soon or something?

Ben Carson isn't going to have to deal with the fact that he was a spokesman for a shady snake oil company, and he won't have to deal with the fact that he fucking lied about it.

Because of this.

"Waaah, liburul media" is preventing real, actual issues being discussed.

pigeon

Banned
Actually quite a few aren't. I'm reading a fair amount of comments on here saying the questions were fair.

If you were a Republican would you want to go on at network again after the last debate?

I think the questions could have been better, but again, if anything they were too easy on the candidates and allowed them to escape substantive discussion by attacking the media instead.

Why wouldn't you want to go back on CNBC if you were Ted Cruz or Ben Carson? You can just say stuff that contradicts your website, blame the media for being liars, and get away with it with big cheers from the audience. Sounds ideal to me. What's the problem?

OuterLimits

I wish MSNBC was a liberal propaganda machine lol. The Democrats don't really have any consistent, hard left, extremely dedicated news network akin to Fox News.

Seriously? I would consider Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell, Chris Mathew, All Sharpton firmly on the left. Maybe not far left, but I wouldn't consider Fox News far right either. Most on the far right consider Fox News to be more friendly to mainstream Republicans and not the Tea Party types.

I mean, they're right tho.

CNBC had a clear agenda set up to make the Republican candidates look like bozos and clowns on live TV.

And they can surely do that themselves without the moderators setting them up to fail!

But really though, this is part of the process to nominate one of the two major candidates for President of the United States. Kind of a serious deal. The candidates all should deserve a proper platform to explain their ideas and beliefs for their campaigns. Not fending debate hosts.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Honestly, it's hard to have anything but a shitshow with that many candidates and one of those is Donald Trump.

teiresias

I mean, Hillary's general election ads just write themselves at this point.

"I withstood 11 hours of politicized questions from a Republican led sham committee hearing.

Mr. GOP-Nominee and his party couldn't stand the heat of a two hour debate with relatively softball questions.

Who do you want in a room doing tough negotiations with Iran and Middle East dictators?"

Seriously? I would consider Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell, Chris Mathew, All Sharpton firmly on the left. Maybe not far left, but I wouldn't consider Fox News far right either. Most on the far right consider Fox News to be more friendly to mainstream Republicans and not the Tea Party types.

Why do you keep harping on this point?

You do understand that CNBC and MSNBC are not the same network, right?

Jonm1010

Banned

Fair and good are two different things. I think almost everyone has said that overall the moderators weren't very good but a number of the questions were completely fair IMO. I would even argue they were too softball for much of the debate.

Can you give me some examples of the unfair questions? The biggest one the GOP pointed to was the "comic book" question but in total context the exchange seemed just fine to me. It was a poor joke but it was actually effective at getting Trump to have to defend the claim that there was no substance behind his plan. To which Harwood kept pressing. Overall, in context, I think the exchange was actually tough but fair. It wasn't ideal or great from a moderator perspective but I suspect had he been even tougher the crying from the GOP would of been even worse and we would still get this letter of GOP whining.

HARWOOD: Mr. Trump, you’ve done very well in this campaign so far by promising to build a wall and make another country pay for it.

TRUMP: Right.

HARWOOD: Send 11 million people out of the country. Cut taxes $10 trillion without increasing the deficit.

TRUMP: Right.

HARWOOD: And make Americans better off because your greatness would replace the stupidity and incompetence of others.

TRUMP: That’s right.

HARWOOD: Let’s be honest.
(LAUGHTER) Is this a comic book version of a presidential campaign?

TRUMP: No, not a comic book, and it’s not a very nicely asked question the way you say that. Larry Kudlow is an example, who I have a lot of respect for, who loves my tax plan. We’re reducing taxes to 15 percent. We’re bringing corporate taxes down, bringing money back in, corporate inversions. We have $2.5 trillion outside of the United States which we want to bring back in.
As far as the wall is concerned, we’re going to build a wall. We’re going to create a border. We’re going to let people in, but they’re going to come in legally. They’re going to come in legally. And it’s something that can be done, and I get questioned about that. They built the great wall of China. That’s 13,000 miles. Here, we actually need 1,000 because we have natural barriers. So we need 1,000.

TRUMP: We can do a wall. We’re going to have a big, fat beautiful door right in the middle of the wall. We’re going to have people come in, but they’re coming in legally. And Mexico’s going to pay for the wall because Mexico — I love the Mexican people; I respect the Mexican leaders — but the leaders are much sharper, smarter and more cunning than our leaders.
And just to finish, people say, how will you get Mexico to pay? A politician other than the people in the states — I don’t want to — a politician cannot get them to pay. I can. We lose, we have a trade imbalance…
Excuse me, John.
… of $50 billion…

HARWOOD: We’re at the 60 seconds.

TRUMP: … believe me the world is peanuts by comparison.

HARWOOD: We’re at 60 seconds, but I gotta ask you, you talked about your tax plan. You say that it would not increase the deficit because you cut taxes $10 trillion in the economy would take off like…
(CROSSTALK)

HARWOOD: Hold on, hold on. The economy would take off like a rocket ship.

TRUMP: Right. Dynamically.

HARWOOD: I talked to economic advisers who have served presidents of both parties. They said that you have as chance of cutting taxes that much without increasing the deficit as you would of flying away from that podium by flapping your arms.

TRUMP: Then you have to get rid of Larry Kudlow, who sits on your panel, who’s a great guy, who came out the other day and said, I love Trump’s tax plan.
(CROSSTALK)

HARWOOD: The Tax Foundation says — has looked at all of our plans and — and his creates, even with the dynamic effect, $8 trillion dollar deficit… QUICK: Gentlemen — we’ll — we’ll get back to this — just a minute — just a minute we’re gonna continue this.
I wanna talk taxes…

QUINTANILLA: Hold it. We’ll cut it back to you in just a minute. Becky’s moving on.

pigeon

Banned

Well, it depends on how you define your continuum. Since the GOP has moved so much further to the right than the Democrats have moved to the left, Fox News probably doesn't look that far right to the right end of the GOP. But compared to, say, the rest of the world, or to America ten years ago, Fox News today would be pretty far right, whereas MSNBC is still mid-left.

jurgen

I think the RNC and Priebus is just trying to save their asses with a decision that's more of a threat that will be inevitably reversed. This is just going to be the narrative for the next week and a half until the next debate goes smoothly and things go back to normal.

But CNBC was half right and half wrong on this situation though. They asked some decent questions, but apparently failed to meet the agreed terms of the debate with things like the first question being agreed prior to the debate to be centered around the economy.

Their moderators were shitbags because of either incompetency or negligence in a lot of situations. Questions shouldn't be phrased like this:

• "Is this a comic book version of a presidential campaign?"
  • "They say you act like you hate your job, do you?"... "Well, do you hate your job?"
  • "You want to bring 70,000 pages to three?".... " Is that using really small type?"... "Is that using really small type?"
  • "So you don't want the coach to put you in any more?"
Anderson Cooper asked some tough questions, but was at least respectful of it. CNBC just came off as douches at times. You also had geniuses like John Harwood:

kmNBTfl.jpg

TL;DR: CNBC half-assed it and Republicans are using it to score points with the far reaches of their base for the next few weeks and will probably chill out by the end of the next debate.

HylianTom

Banned
I think the RNC and Priebus is just trying to save their asses with a decision that's more of a threat that will be inevitably reversed. This is just going to be the narrative for the next week and a half until the next debate goes smoothly and things go back to normal.

Jeb's gotta like that this storyline is somewhat displacing his bad night from the headlines..

lednerg

If that debate hurt their fee fees so much that they're packing it up, then they're not fit for the job. Being president demands a lot more of a person than talking to ill-prepared or even oppositional moderators for ten minutes each. Some kindergarten shit right here.

RDreamer

Bunch of fucking crybaby liars. Fuck all of them. None of them is even remotely deserving of being president.

These are the same asshats who think they'll be tough on everyone, yet they crumple like toddlers with a few questions that they got away with lying about anyway.

teiresias

But CNBC was half right and half wrong on this situation though. They asked some decent questions, but apparently failed to meet the agreed terms of the debate with things like the first question being agreed prior to the debate to be centered around the economy.

Their moderators were shitbags because of either incompetency or negligence in a lot of situations. Questions shouldn't be phrased like this:

• "Is this a comic book version of a presidential campaign?"
  • "They say you act like you hate your job, do you?"... "Well, do you hate your job?"
  • "You want to bring 70,000 pages to three?".... " Is that using really small type?"... "Is that using really small type?"
  • "So you don't want the coach to put you in any more?"
Anderson Cooper asked some tough questions, but was at least respectful of it. CNBC just came off as douches at times. You also had geniuses like John Harwood:

kmNBTfl.jpg

TL;DR: CNBC half-assed it and Republicans are using it to score points with the far reaches of their base for the next few weeks and will probably chill out by the end of the next debate.

I don't know. I find it fairly disingenuous for any of these candidates - particularly the non-establishment ones the likes of Trump, Carson, etc. - to be enraged at any kind of non-serious tone to a debate when the material and proposals coming out of these candidates are laughable, xenophobic, and outright ridiculous.

I mean, does anyone that uses Hitler metaphors with abandon have any right to complain about gotcha questions?

I didn't follow the last debate. What was the issue?

CNBC's moderators asked some real dumb questions. Shit like "Donald Trump, is your campaign a comic book version of a presidential campaign??" CNBC were at first somewhat strict on the timekeeping, then were like "fuck it" in the second half. The moderators frequently interrupted each other to ask their own follow-up questions.

However, the candidates aren't completely free of blame in the shitshow. For instance, Trump and Carson flat out lied about shit that CNBC was asking them about. Cruz went on a partially-canned rant about Evil Librul Media and the base ate it all up. The crowd started acting like they were on WWE loudly booing questions they didn't like, giving candidates an out to just not answer.

So yeah, CNBC did have some shitty moderating. But it's laughable the RNC wants to cancel the NBC debate. It's just more fodder for the "librul media" whining. The RNC, of course, is not doing anything to address the fact that their candidates are flat out fucking lying on national TV. They're all innocent poor victims subjected to the evil torture of mainstream media or some shit.

CNBC's moderators asked some real dumb questions. Shit like "Donald Trump, is your campaign a comic book version of a presidential campaign??" CNBC were at first somewhat strict on the timekeeping, then were like "fuck it" in the second half. The moderators frequently interrupted each other to ask their own follow-up questions.

However, the candidates aren't completely free of blame in the shitshow. For instance, Trump and Carson flat out lied about shit that CNBC was asking them about. Cruz went on a partially-canned rant about Evil Librul Media and the base ate it all up. The crowd started acting like they were on WWE loudly booing questions they didn't like, giving candidates an out to just not answer.

So yeah, CNBC did have some shitty moderating. But it's laughable the RNC wants to cancel the NBC debate. It's just more fodder for the "librul media" whining. The RNC, of course, is not doing anything to address the fact that their candidates are flat out fucking lying on national TV. They're all innocent poor victims subjected to the evil torture of mainstream media or some shit.

CNBC seemed to ask questions about the math of their economics plans as well and the answers were basically 2+2=5 because I said so.

Despite what outer limits wants you to believe, none of those candidates up there wants to have substantive policy wonk types of debates. They just want to hammer the talking points into impressionable viewers.

Purkake4

Banned
If you're producing audience sympathy for old man Huckabee, you're doing something wrong.

Averon

Why is almost always the people who constantly say how tough and manly they are the first ones to cry and take their ball home the moment things don't go their way or when they get push back?

jurgen

I don't know. I find it fairly disingenuous for any of these candidates - particularly the non-establishment ones the likes of Trump, Carson, etc. - to be enraged at any kind of non-serious tone to a debate when the material and proposals coming out of these candidates are laughable, xenophobic, and outright ridiculous.

I mean, does anyone that uses Hitler metaphors with abandon have any right to complain about gotcha questions?

I think you have to look at the bigger picture here. I doubt any candidate on that stage, truly 100% believes that the questions were "gotcha" questions
except for that idiot Huckabee and the ever-so grumpy Rand Paul

They're just doing what you do in a primary debate which is playing to your base. The "liberal media" bullshit is just a political buzz phrase that gets the more extreme elements of the Republican party riled up in the same vein that "vast right-wing conspiracy" was thrown around during the Clinton era and the same reason Obama occasionally starts to complain about the media.

It isn't to actually make a fucking point. It's to score points and rile up your base.

Herbs

Banned
Why is almost always the people who constantly say how tough and manly they are the first ones to cry and take their ball home the moment things don't go their way or when they get push back?

because their secretly pussies and need to project the veneer of strength.

You do realize I was answering a statement by a person saying they wished MSNBC was more liberal right?

You've been talking about MSNBC this whole time.

So MSNBC isn't news then. They are a propaganda network for the left and Democrat party. Democrats do debates on their own propaganda network as well.

I'm asking you what does MSNBC have to do with CNBC? I'm not going to say that you're wrong about MSNBC leaning left, but CNBC does not, and it seems like you're conflating the two.

Jonm1010

Banned

Frankly I think some of the questions could of been better but the debate was literally the GOP bitching about the "librul" media and "gotcha" questions then complaining they aren't being asked substantive questions when every time they tried to ask substantive questions or called bullshit they dodged, lied and cried bias/gotcha. It was farcical.

Maybe the questions were shit but your job in a debate is still to answer them. Not go on an unrelated rant about liberal conspiracy theories and crying about the question.

WedgeX

Banned
So is the RNC a really just made at CNBC a serving as a platform for the launch of the tea party and thus are taking the opportunity to play victim to NBC and by extension CNBC?

CNBC seemed to ask questions about the math of their economics plans as well and the answers were basically 2+2=5 because I said so.

Despite what outer limits wants you to believe, none of those candidates up there wants to have substantive policy wonk types of debates. They just want to hammer the talking points into impressionable viewers.

Exactly. CNBC had some pretty good questions and follow-ups regarding specifics of their economic plans, and as expected the answers were a bunch of "NO NO WAIT THAT'S NOT WHAT I SAID" and dodging the questions.

The problem is that those questions and exchanges were buried under a bunch of BS from both the moderators and the candidates. The post-debate narrative is now about how bad CNBC was overall that nobody's talking about 1) candidates flat out lying, 2) dodging, handwaving, and backpedaling on the few questions asking specifics of their economic plans.

Frankly I think some of the questions could of been better but the debate was literally the GOP bitching about the "librul" media and complaining they aren't being asked substantive questions when every time they tried to ask substantive questions or called bullshit they dodged, lied and cried bias. It was farcical.

Yep. Bunch of hypocrites. They whine about the questions being insubstantial but had no qualms about dodging the questions asking for economic plan specifics. Christie's diet racist bullshit about Obama "disrespecting police officers" is laughable considering in the same debate he also whined about "not talking about the real issues".

OuterLimits

Well, it depends on how you define your continuum. Since the GOP has moved so much further to the right than the Democrats have moved to the left, Fox News probably doesn't look that far right to the right end of the GOP. But compared to, say, the rest of the world, or to America ten years ago, Fox News today would be pretty far right, whereas MSNBC is still mid-left.

Fair point. I agree if looking on a world scale you are right. I am looking at it simply as it exists in America and what defines right and left in our country. Although I would say Bernie Sanders except for his stance on guns would fit in well on the world stage.

CNBC: The only liberal network that has the distinction of having Rick Santelli (creator of the tea party) and Larry Kudlow (the standard bearer for supply side economics) as their biggest stars.

OuterLimits

You've been talking about MSNBC this whole time.

I'm asking you what does MSNBC have to do with CNBC? I'm not going to say that you're wrong about MSNBC leaning left, but CNBC does not, and it seems like you're conflating the two.

The Democrats avoid all Fox networks including Fox Business for debates. In all honesty, I would as well if I was the DNC. The GOP had distanced itself from MSNBC but was still willing to go on other NBC stations like their financial CNBC.

After this debate, the GOP is saying screw it to NBC in general it seems. Not sure I blame them. Or they would have to insist on different moderators next time. They think it better to just ignore them completely now.

Btw, I did say earlier that they are also using it to score political points. They would be foolish not to in a political sense.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Why is every hard question asked to a Republican a "gotcha" question? Just admit you don't know the answer and we'll move along.

Whining about CNBC moderators while campaigning on strength and standing-up to Putin... OK

The moderators were not good, but even when asked reasonable questions they either lied or didn't answer.

Honestly this seems like a sign that whoever comes out of this won't fair well on the national debate stage when their opponent can call them on lies.

Jonm1010

Banned
The Democrats avoid all Fox networks including Fox Business for debates. In all honesty, I would as well if I was the DNC. The GOP had distanced itself from MSNBC but was still willing to go on other NBC stations like their financial CNBC.

After this debate, the GOP is saying screw it to NBC in general it seems. Not sure so blame them. Or they would have to insist on different moderators next time. They think it better to just ignore them completely now.

Btw, I did say earlier that they are also using it to score political points. They would be foolish not to in a political sense.

Fox Business and Fox News are propaganda channels that occasionally reports news. Albeit always with an agenda and aimed toward clear, agreed upon political goals.

MSNBC is a left leaning news organization that often gives liberal voices with an agenda prime air time.

NBC, CNBC are NOT MSNBC. CNBC in fact is overall a fairly conservative organization that is very Wall Street influenced. NBC news is a fairly mainstream news organization like ABC and CBS. They are not equivalent. They aren't even really connected other then name and occasional schedule cohesion with things like the Olympics.

OuterLimits

Why is every hard question asked to a Republican a "gotcha" question? Just admit you don't know the answer and we'll move along.

Most of them actually answered the questions. Including Trump with the comic book and Huckabee on if Trump has moral authority. Cruz did avoid a legit question to slam the moderators though. He did answer it later I believe.

You can ask tough questions without being ridiculous. Btw this was supposed to be an economic debate. How is asking Huckabee about moral authority related?

Haunted

Fair and good are two different things. I think almost everyone has said that overall the moderators weren't very good but a number of the questions were completely fair IMO. I would even argue they were too softball for much of the debate.

Can you give me some examples of the unfair questions? The biggest one the GOP pointed to was the "comic book" question but in total context the exchange seemed just fine to me. It was a poor joke but it was actually effective at getting Trump to have to defend the claim that there was no substance behind his plan. To which Harwood kept pressing. Overall, in context, I think the exchange was actually tough but fair. It wasn't ideal or great from a moderator perspective but I suspect had he been even tougher the crying from the GOP would of been even worse and we would still get this letter of GOP whining.
those are softball questions, have a look outside the US to see the (uncomfortably difficult) questions real politicians have to answer instead of this circus bullshit

that said and specifically about trump: I can see that respectable journalists have a hard time taking someone like him seriously, trump's policies have about as much legitimacy as those of the bearded guy with the boot on his head I see during every presidential campaign lineup

the palin comparisons aren't too far off the mark, caricatures of real people that you wouldn't actually want in a position of authority or responsibility propped up by big money behind them

Jonm1010

Banned
Most of them actually answered the questions. Including Trump with the comic book and Huckabee on if Trump has moral authority. Cruz did avoid a legit question to slam the moderators though. He did answer it later I believe.

You can ask tough questions without being ridiculous. Btw this was supposed to be an economic debate. How is asking Huckabee about moral authority related?

Trump, Cruz, Carson, Bush and Christie all got pushed to answer substantive questions and they pretty much all gave BS answers or even flat out lied in Carson's case. When they would get further pressed and called on their bullshit they just called bias or attacked the moderators and played to the crowd.

They didn't really answer the questions.

Some guy on CNN (I don't remember who) last night was whining about how the debate was done by CNBC at all. He was like "why even have the debate when nobody in the moderator team was even Republican!!"

The RNC for some stupid reason wants to perpetuate their beloved echo chamber. The candidates in the primaries just want to whine about librul media, do some fear mongering to promote wars, say some easy unsubstantiated shit about fantasy economic plans, spout diet racist bullshit against black people and foreigners, and generally shout loudly without saying anything.

But just like in 2012, their echo chamber crumbles the minute they get to the general election. More head-in-sand antics. Same shit, different toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom