• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Mercer: the big data billionaire waging war on mainstream media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lubricus

One "reality" isn't fucking based on nonsense. Even if we did have to "fabricate" reality intentionally, it still shouldn't be to make the powerful people more powerful and make suffering people suffer more.

This paragraph was written on parchment but I believe it is real:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Certain things such as liberty and pursuit of happiness are under attack currently. That's why we have to pay attention and figure out how to neutralize Mr. Mercer. I think putting the light on him is a good start.

He's also behind the fake Twitter accounts:

A GOP donor who once had ties to IBM is the man behind the millions of Twitter bots President Trump counts on as followers who could be employed to target voters with misleading or fake news on social media.

In order for it to work, the scheme relies on the quiet guidance of Robert Mercer, a reclusive Republican mega-donor and staunch Trump supporter, sources told the Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...trump-social-media-bot-army-article-1.3236933

I was unimpressed with this article and feel it may be disinformation. Drudge carrying it makes me more skeptical.

Yes trump has millions of bot followers - over half. But they are identified as bots by the audit programs because they are inactive.

Any semi competent angry 4chan guy can rent a botnet and register millions of twitter accounts to follow trump. Just takes a small amount of cash and a pure white hatred of liberals.

The shit posting one dimensional accounts on twitter are real people, whether some are Russians troll farms or most are brain washed, I don't know. There is little sign they are AI driven. if they are then there has been break-throughs in neural networks creating unique tweets that emulate your embarrassing relative that drank the the_donald kool-aide.

Basically: it is unclear why Mercer needs to be involved.

megalowho

Robert and Rebekah Mercer are worse than just being Trump's behind the scenes money, they're actively working towards destroying our ability to have meaningful political discourse in this country. The more their names are out there in the public the better.

On the other hand the real genius founder of Renaissance Technologies, James Simons, is an all around great guy and a donor for Democratic PACs. Not nearly as influential as the Mercers but the two couldn't be more different.

Basically: it is unclear why Mercer needs to be involved.

Mercer was linked to Brexit and it was him and Bannon who came up with the idea to come up with an anti-liberal media system.

I don't know if it's AI but there's a coordinated bullshit propaganda system at work, where pretty much the same fake news articles are spread across RW sites and Google search results are gamed to push them to the top ahead of legitimate news.

It's really fucking scary how Repubs have actually learned from their mistakes during the Romney election, where they were severely lacking in technology of this kind.

Mercer was linked to Brexit and it was him and Bannon who came up with the idea to come up with an anti-liberal media system.

I don't know if it's AI but there's a coordinated bullshit propaganda system at work, where pretty much the same fake news articles are spread across RW sites and Google search results are gamed to push them to the top ahead of legitimate news.

Oh I agree he is in it up to his neck funding things and so on. Just not sure about his connection to a bot army when even a few individuals could create a bazillion twitter accounts it isn't like they cost any money or anything.

Oh I agree he is in it up to his neck funding things and so on. Just not sure about his connection to a bot army when even a few individuals could create a bazillion twitter accounts it isn't like they cost any money or anything.

I largely got it from this article:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...rump-russia-data-machine-games-google-to.html

Sure anyone could make bot accounts and start shitposting, but this is organized and coordinated to distract when Trump gets bad news, it gets propagated quickly to many sites and Google search results are manipulated to push them to the front.

There seems to be a concentrated and organized effort here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom