• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Just got back from a sold-out DLP showing of Robots, and it was pretty good. I'd rank it between a PDI and Pixar effort in that its tone leans a bit more in the Pixar direction while it still has pop culture references but not to the level of a Shrek or Shark Tale.

In that way,
Pixar > Blue Sky > PDI

The story is predicable enough, but still satisfying. The humor really reaches its peak with one of the funnier movie farts this side of Blazing Saddles, Dumb and Dumber, and The Nutty Professor. It's your typical coming of age type story, only set in a robot world.

But, the visual and character design is absolutely astonishing. Every single frame of the movie is exploding with detail. There really hasn't been an animated movie bursting with this much animation in a long, long, time.

Definitely worth checking out, and the Star Wars trailer is a nice bonus.

Also, there's little animated short at the beginning that's a teaser for Ice Age 2.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I dont know what it is, but when I look at robots, it doesnt look as though it will be as good as a pixar film. There is somethbing about robots that looks really boring.

Bristow

Banned
While it may seem odd, I prefer Robots and Ice Age over the Pixar films. I haven't seen The Incredibles yet though. The Shrek movies are also better.

Pixar are incredibly overrated.

Bristow said:
While it may seem odd, I prefer Robots and Ice Age over the Pixar films. I haven't seen The Incredibles yet though. The Shrek movies are also better.

You're in for some hate now.

ManaByte

LinesInTheSand said:
Although I had no real desire to see it beforehand, it turned out to be a good and very entertaining movie. Good times :)

"Aunt Fanny! We were using our hands."

:lol

The chalk outline afterwards was even more :lol :lol :lol :lol

MetalAlien

Banned
I went to see it as much for the SWT as for the movie itself. I did quite enjoy it, but man poor Robin Williams needs to get a new act... I didn't laugh at any of his characters scenes. Well I smiled when he broke out into a dance number aa-la Britney Spears.

I loved all the robotised set ups though. Tweaking familiar objects/situations into robot-correct objects/situations.

Rushmore

Just saw it. It was okay. The humor lacked any sort of subtlety (except perhaps for the bathroom sign gag and the chalk-line). Too many butt and fart jokes.

Shinobi

Does anyone know if Blue Sky Studios are the same outfit that made World Series Baseball and Vectorman for Genesis back in the day?

Boogie

Bristow said:

drugs are bad, mmkay?

Bristow said:

Hmm... That does seem odd. You should seek professional help. NOW!

It was certainly quality but not very engaging. I might need to see it again to have a better perspective on it.

I do think that the opening 5 minutes is extremely clever with the "making the baby" scenes and the early childhood stuff.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Robots is definitely very impressive visually, like the Incredibles, there were point that just had me thinking "wow" and theres definitely a lot more life and visual imagination in this than in any other full length CG film to date.

I liked the story, it was cliched, but what film isnt these days? My only beef with the story was with Halle Berrys part which seemed like it was tacked on just to get another stars name in the film (McGregor was excellent), we saw no backstory for her character at all but she's supposed to be the love interest.

For me it lacked the laughs that The Incredibles and to a lesser extent, Shrek 2 had. There were a couple, the scene with rodney and the doorman had me in fits.

Still, its a good film and if you like CG you should not miss it, its not the quality of the images but the shear amount of animation and life in every scene that's so impressive, watching it you get the sense that they really wanted to create something beautiful, and they did.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Cool, nice little reviews so far. Guess I'll be going to see it.. I did enjoy Ice Age quite a bit too.

Just saw this last night.

I haven't felt that bored watching a movie in theaters since...Disney's Dinosaur(Remember that one?)

It's amazing. They have a film that features the voices of Drew Carey, Robin Williams, and even the great Mel Brooks. And yet they manage to make the most cliched and unfunny film they could have possibly created. I'm really tired of these been-there-done-that, Pop-Culture-by-the-book jokes. I kid you not, I heard the opening riff to 'Eye of the Tiger' FOUR TIMES in that theatre, counting the previews. I think I liked Ice Age better than this movie. And I LOATHED that film.

I only enjoyed two aspects of this film. The way they tried to 'humanize' the robots in the first 20 minutes of the film, that was pretty inventive. For example, the robot child birth process - this involves, naturally, mailing away for a baby, and constructing it yourself. The first 20 minutes of the film were creative, I'll give them that. Sadly, the rest of the movie takes a sharp nosedive once the 'plot' kicks in.

The only other part I enjoyed was the segment that ends with the lamp post keeling over as a result of Aunt Fanny's flatulence(This film has no dearth of jokes of this ilk. Though, I have absolutely no taste for humour of this nature, this one gag did bring a smile to my lip).

There's very few major animated films that I'd say this about, but - This movie is strictly for the young ones.

I think this kind of slapstick comedy/CG film has just about run its course with Hollywood. Thank god for The Incredibles last year. That film showed that a CG animated film could have a more serious overtone and still succeed with both critics and audiences. We need more films like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom