• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

That's a pretty small reveal for E3 as far as songs go. Hope there's more announced soon and the game has a decent amount of songs. Has there been any word on the final amount?

Ridley327

Can you confirm whether 4 Amazon pre-order exclusive songs will be DLC eventually. I would buy a few of those but I only want to get the digital version of the game since I currently have working instruments and went all digital this generation. If they won't become DLC, will a digital version of this game be available for pre-order from Amazon so I can get these exclusive songs.

Harmonix has never made DLC that was pre-order exclusive for Rock Band. I was actually really surprised at how quickly they released the RB3 pre-order tracks after the game's release.

pacman85

That's a pretty small reveal for E3 as far as songs go. Hope there's more announced soon and the game has a decent amount of songs. Has there been any word on the final amount?
The MadCatz press that was posted online (and later taken down but can still be found in a few different places) said "over 60 songs"

zulux21

Really wish we could get more details about how much of the DLC will be ready for launch, and if/when MIDI adapters will be made compatible / available.

Also, where's the game-only preorder?
I'm pretty sure most of the dlc is supposed to be there at launch, if you watch any video all of the dlc is in the trailers of rock band 4. I think it was said somewhere that all of the dlc that wasn't rock band network should be there... but I am far to distracted with final fantasy 7 remake rumors looking more and more legit to dig it up lol.

as someone else said there is to be over 60, as for a small reveal, well it's likely in rock band's best interest to trickle information so people keep talking about it. Any big announcement right now will get lost in the sea of xbox one BC announcements or final fantasy remake announcements ect so why not wait until closer to launch for a big blow out, maybe gamescom.

Yaari

Yeah I was expecting more songs to be revealed too, that and the no online thing, as well as the rather high price of the full bundle, not too excited about it all. Hopefully that will change over the coming months.

Neil_J_UK

OK so the band in a box pre-order is up on Amazon US, anyone know where/if you can pre-order it in the UK? Amazon.co.uk doesn't have it listed.

zulux21

Yeah I was expecting more songs to be revealed too, that and the no online thing, as well as the rather high price of the full bundle, not too excited about it all. Hopefully that will change over the coming months.

since I am in full ff7 remake mode now... I am kind of hoping that rock band 4 is at sony's conference and they announce this version of one winged angel will be in rock band and then right after they show that off a bit we move onto the ff7 remake lol.

Hopefully that October 6th date is real.

A-ding-ding-ding! Release date?

7a2UCG3.png

The IGN articles also confirm this date

So I did all of my rocking / DLC buying on 360.

I own both an Xbone and PS4.

90% of my friends switched to PS4 from 360.

mfw my DLC and old instruments won't be compatible on a competitor's platform....

Vd0wXFE.jpg

zulux21

So I did all of my rocking / DLC buying on 360.

I own both an Xbone and PS4.

90% of my friends switched to PS4 from 360.

mfw my DLC and old instruments won't be compatible on a competitor's platform....

Vd0wXFE.jpg

there isn't online play anyways. just get it on the platform your dlc is on and make your friends come over to play :p
Ugh, 60+ confirms that this will have a smaller set list than 2 or 3.

60 is still a fine number without a major publisher.

DCS

Banned
I really hope the 'packs' let you delete individual songs, for example the Green Day track list only has a handful of songs I like (but I really LOVE them) and I don't want the songs I don't care about to show up in my library. Even better if they can be deleted off the console to save HDD space.

FyreWulff

I really hope the 'packs' let you delete individual songs, for example the Green Day track list only has a handful of songs I like (but I really LOVE them) and I don't want the songs I don't care about to show up in my library. Even better if they can be deleted off the console to save HDD space.

RB3 let you blacklist songs by 1-lightering them after one of the later title updates, I imagine RB4 will let you do the same thing

Rock Band is on Twitch. Bass player gets no creativity sections like the other instruments.

Also, we got a look at the new guiartar freestyle thing. It sounded pretty bad. I'll give it a chance at launch, but I'm leaning towards just playing the old solos.

zulux21

Rock Band is on Twitch. Bass player gets no creativity sections like the other instruments.

Also, we got a look at the new guiartar freestyle thing. It sounded pretty bad. I'll give it a chance at launch, but I'm leaning towards just playing the old solos.

bass always gets screwed, it's why there should be a rhythm guitar selection too.

espher

Solo thing is gonna be kind of like drum fills.

It will sound fucking amazing when someone with a sense of rhythm and style plays, and like hot garbage when people faceroll as quickly as possible across the fret board.

I'm really excited for it.

They need to have that full solo mode as a cheat/toggle, though. Need my 17 minute jam band song experience.

Since online is such a big deal to me, I'll simply wait and pick it up later. It's only going to get cheaper.

Shame, I wanted to be there day 1 but can't justify it without online at launch. Ah well, better late than never.

I think it would have sounded alright if the dude playing wasn't just hitting the strum bar as fast as possible the entire way through it.

FyreWulff

As a realbass(tm) player, it would be nice if say, playing on the high frets let you play open E A D G at any time. holding high-orange would shift them up an octave, so you could fill in bass lines wherever without breaking combo.

More songs.

Benjamin Booker – “Violent Shiver” *
Elvis Presley – “Suspicious Minds” * (!)
Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars – “Uptown Funk” *
Queens of the Stone Age – “My God Is The Sun” *
Scandal – “The Warrior” *

ELVIS! Fuck, yeah! And The Warrior is an awesome song to get too.

I have to buy a new console and then I'll have to save up for the game.

....I'm going to be getting this when Rock Band 5 comes out lol
Time to do a kickstarter?

I am praying and sending vibes to my family to just send me money for my birthday in August so I can get a console to play this on.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I played RB4 for a little bit at the xbox fan party. The new guitar solo system has a definite learning curve, but holy shit, once you get it down, it is the greateset feeling of all time, This is the closest a plastic guitar will ever make me feel like I am shredding. It was pretty euphoric.

I'll post more impressions tomorrow when I get some more time. But man, people are going to be fighting over olaying guitar now. It's so good.

I forgot to add, the new guitar is so much better, the buttons have a lot less resistance and I feel like it's much easier to transition from note to note.

EYEL1NER

An Elvis song in the game? That is some pretty cool news.
I'll probably pre-order the bundle tomorrow from BB for $200. All of my old instruments work well-enough but I am down for updates. I still might end up using my GH3 Les Paul rather than the new one, since I have never cared for the RB guitars, but at least then I can have the RB4 guitar available for a second person to use rather than my lame RB1 Strat and GH2 Xplorer.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Great to have a date and everything!

And I don't mind the price, where I live the bundles of RB and GH used to be north of US$500... hell, the bundle I got was a used RB2 one and was over 250. Might end up getting the guitar+game combo, I don't really use the guitar at all
ProDrums all the way
but it seems to be on its last legs :(

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Tell me about the strumbar
It feels a bit more rigid, to be honest I didn't spend too much time on guitar so I can't give a fair comparison yet. If you are expecting a click similar to guitar hero then you are out of luck. I should get more hands on tomorrow, but the build quality has really left a good impression on me.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
It's kinda feeling like RBN songs won't be making the move. :( All the media talks about having "more than 1,500 songs", which in marketing usually means the number is pretty close to 1,500. There's 1,692 official DLC songs, and more than that number (I think it was around 1,750?) of RBN songs. So either they're being quite modest with their advertising, or we may not be getting RBN songs.

(I mean, I can totally understand why that'd end up being the case, it just kinda sucks.)

It's kinda feeling like RBN songs won't be making the move. :( All the media talks about having "more than 1,500 songs", which in marketing usually means the number is pretty close to 1,500. There's 1,692 official DLC songs, and more than that number (I think it was around 1,750?) of RBN songs. So either they're being quite modest with their advertising, or we may not be getting RBN songs.

(I mean, I can totally understand why that'd end up being the case, it just kinda sucks.)

I can see them maybe bringing over the RBN tracks that made the jump to PS3 (supposedly the most popular tracks), since they've already been ported to both platforms. At least, I hope that's the case.

After looking at the RB3 tracklist again, I really hope they end up making an export for that game. Might be one of my favorite lists... so many awesome songs we'll be losing.

Sounds like they're just being careful not to overpromise. I hope everything makes it over in due time.

MajorMane

After looking at the RB3 tracklist again, I really hope they end up making an export for that game. Might be one of my favorite lists... so many awesome songs we'll be losing.

Sounds like they're just being careful not to overpromise. I hope everything makes it over in due time.

That's a thing I forgot to bug them about yesterday was rb3 export haha.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but before when referring to the Rock Band 3 export, they've always said something along the lines of, "Not right now, but if you want it, let us know." This is understandable since their focus has been on core DLC. However, in their forum post yesterday, they have a question in regards to exports/RB3 export:

Q: How do I get my legacy Rock Band songs to work in Rock Band 4? How does export work? Can I export Rock Band 3 to Rock Band 4?
A: Stay tuned! We’ll have more info closer to launch.

Now, this could be a stretch (and speculation always is, isn't it?), but that's different wording than they usually give. Hopefully that means that they've heard how much people want to be able to export Rock Band 3 and have been working on that too. Or it just means they'll give the typical, "Export your other games now! Rock Band 3 maybe sometime!"

Additionally, in terms of RBN songs, sounds like they are also aware that people want them to carry over, but again, other songs/features take priority.

Q: Will my Rock Band Network songs carry forward to Rock Band 4?
A: We're focusing on the core Rock Band DLC right now, but we want to support as much content as we possibly can. Stay tuned.

The game just needs to be released already so that they can work on these things!

I think this is a given at the moment. Too many songs to try and port over right now and there may be more rights issues they'd have to figure out. I think they'll focus on the official DLC tracks first and then possibly start to bring over select RBN tracks similar to how they did for PS3.

XShagrath

My brain fails to understand how porting 3,000 songs is any more difficult than 1,500 songs (other than licensing). I know that it's a completely rebuilt engine and everything, but they should be able to just write a tool that batch converts things, and then it doesn't matter if it's one song or 50,000 songs.

My brain fails to understand how porting 3,000 songs is any more difficult than 1,500 songs (other than licensing). I know that it's a completely rebuilt engine and everything, but they should be able to just write a tool that batch converts things, and then it doesn't matter if it's one song or 50,000 songs.

Well, I imagine that royalties are more complicated with RBN songs.

My brain fails to understand how porting 3,000 songs is any more difficult than 1,500 songs (other than licensing).

Well, you see, it would actually be about twice as difficult, because -

I know that it's a completely rebuilt engine and everything, but they should be able to just write a tool that batch converts things, and then it doesn't matter if it's one song or 50,000 songs.

oh you just don't know how game development works okay.

Top Bottom