• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 |OT| We're Putting The Rock Band Back Together

I wish you could hide songs from the library. There are some god awful songs/charts that i never want to play again that I have to skip using the annoying controller buttons every time.

You will be able to rate songs with a 1, and then you can hide all of the songs with a 1 rating.

Beat, lol.

Got both of the tracks this week so here's my first playthrough scores, track seperation confirmations, and impressions of this week's DLC.

"The Sound of Silence" - Disturbed
Expert Guitar: 119,739 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 1 (Apprentice)
Expert Bass: 45,532 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 0 (Warmup)

Are the tracks seperated?: Yes! No distortion or muffling of other tracks when missing notes, and the instrument you're playing gets muted out completely when missing notes. Go ahead and buy this one!

"HandClap" - Fitz & The Tantrums
Expert Guitar: 92,095 | 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 1 (Apprentice)
Expert Bass: 124,207 100% Full Combo | Gold Stars | Tier 2 (Solid)

Are the tracks seperated?: Again, yes! Absolutely no distortion or muffling of other tracks when missing notes, and the instrument you're playing gets muted out completely when missing notes. That's 2/2 this week, both are safe buys!

DLC Impressions

The Sound Of Silence:- Honestly, way better on guitar than I thought it was going to be. A lot of the chart is similar to the Simon & Garfunkel version we already have in the game, but the latter half of the song is genuinely good. Tons of little acoustic flourishes that require offbeat three note chord strumming, and hammer-on and pull-off movement up and down the fretboard. For a tier 1 guitar track, it's pretty good! Bass on the other hand is pretty naff. 34 measures of idle time right at the beginning before you even get to play anything, and then when you do all you do is hold a bunch of long single and double note sustains. Boresville on bass!

HandClap:- You don't play actual guitar for the majority of it, mainly just horns and keys but this is also a competent "guitar" chart! It's lively enough to keep you going throughout with a bunch of single note strumming up and down the fretboard, and some steady chord strumming between choruses. Overall, solid. Bass was pretty good as well. Some chord strumming during the choruses mix in with strummed strings of notes all over the note track, solid stuff again!

Storm360

Man, I really miss some of my RBN songs, I moved over to Xbox because of the SCEE export issues but I need some of those older stuff back.

rpwh012slr8a.png

Flagpole Sitta and Stop?

antoniobanderas.gif

Is that just next week or the whole of the month's DLC? Either way, I'm sold on Stop and I'd happily get a bunch more if I could actually pre-order Rivals.

That makes sense, 18 tracks in one day would be a bit of a surprise given recent trends. Plus it works for the numbers, 12 pre-orders in one week, 2 new tracks for the other three.

I never thought I could be disappointed by a Chainsmokers pick but why the hell did they use that bland-ass song and not something that might actually be fun in Don't Let Me Down.

CloudWolf

So, Flagpole Sitta isn't going to have proper masters, right? I mean, wasn't that the entire reason we got Cream and Bastards Rise all those years ago?

Anyway, both buys from me.

And lol @ some of the DLC of this month. The Chainsmokers and Sean Paul in Rock Band, what a time to be alive.
Temperature, when?

So, Flagpole Sitta isn't going to have proper masters, right? I mean, wasn't that the entire reason we got Cream and Bastards Rise all those years ago?

Cream and Bastards Rise was apparently because Harvey Danger hated the label they recorded Flagpole Sitta with. We may still not get a properly separated version, but the reasons for not getting this song sooner were because of corporate politics.

pacman85

So with the week of 10/3 DLC already known and pre-order DLC I would guess October looks like this:
10/4
Flagpole Sitta
Stop
10/11
Honey I'm Good
Treat You Better
10/18
12 pre-order songs + Rivals release
10/25
Cheap Thrills
Closer

So let's see what we got!

10/18
12 pre-order songs + Rivals release
Ah yes, the pre-order bonus songs we already know about, guess they have to include those. Guess I'll keep reading...
giphy.gif

10/4
Flagpole Sitta
Stop
This is much more like it, take all my money! This months looking pretty fucking goo....
2I41ktM.gif

10/11
Honey I'm Good
Treat You Better
10/18
Cheap Thrills
Closer

HOT FUCKING GARBAGE! BOOOO!
200.gif

One of the worst months since Feb/March this year!

Gleethor

I think Cheap Thrills is the first song that I legitimately don't think should be in Rock Band. I'm trying to imagine a guitar chart in my head, and there's just nothing there remotely different or exciting. Like, most other pop radio hits that we've had have had interesting or ay least prominent, recognizable instrumentation and this song absolutely doesn't.

Flagpole Sitta is exciting, that one has been a long time comin.

EYEL1NER

It's true, only one song this month is older than I am (Stop) and only barely.
I'm pretty much older than all the songs on that list. "Stop" came out in 1990 but was apparently written in 1986, so depending on what month they wrote it in of that year, I am older than it too.
I don't need particularly need old songs, I would just like more variety. But Pop Band 4 strikes again...

I'm going to preorder it sometime this week, so I'll be getting all of them. But the songs I want are "Honey, I'm Good," "Save Tonight," "One More Night," "Little Talks," and "Happy," and half of those I want only because my daughter likes them. I like "Stop" but played it years ago in Guitar Hero, so I can't get excited for it now. Really there isn't much from the list that I want, but I made the mistake of not pre-ordering RB4 and not getting those songs, and I know I won't buy probably any of these on their own, so I need to get them now for free or probably not at all.

Just played them both.

Stop is definitely using stems.

I think Flagpole Sitta is using them to? Missing guitar parts doesn't mute anything else. The whammy effect only alters the guitar part.

Ok with bass when missing notes it makes the vocals sound like they're coming from a tunnel. Same with the drums. So maybe just guitar is separated?

vg260

At the expense of sounding totally ignorant, what are stems? I see it discussed a lot here and it seems important.

Stems are the individual recordings for each instrument before being mixed together as opposed to something like a final mp3 where everything has been mixed into one recording. So with stems, for example, if you miss a guitar part, or whammy, it only affects the audio track of the guitar, and not everything else. You're only controlling the audio track for your instrument. It's essentially the core gameplay concept of the game.

Gleethor

Just played them both.

Stop is definitely using stems.

I think Flagpole Sitta is using them to? Missing guitar parts doesn't mute anything else. The whammy effect only alters the guitar part.

Ok with bass when missing notes it makes the vocals sound like they're coming from a tunnel. Same with the drums. So maybe just guitar is separated?
Sounds like it might just have audio bleed in the masters instead of being 100% DIY stems

CloudWolf

At the expense of sounding totally ignorant, what are stems? I see it discussed a lot here and it seems important.
Stems are the raw separate instrument tracks that are used when mixing a song. In the past Rock Band and Guitar Hero pretty much always used stems to create the songs in the game so that they could create their own mix and to allow that when you miss notes on an instrument that instrument mutes while the rest of the song plays on.

Recently though Harmonix has started using songs without stems or with broken/incomplete stems which results in songs either not changing at all when missing notes or the entire song being muted.

I've been out of the loop for a bit, is there a summary I can read of what's been going on? What's Rivals exactly? You can only get it by buying the guitar/drums combo?

I've been out of the loop for a bit, is there a summary I can read of what's been going on? What's Rivals exactly? You can only get it by buying the guitar/drums combo?

Rivals is an expansion for RB, including a new "Rockumentary" career mode, various other competitive features and, in December (?) online play. I think there's more. It's basically a DLC expansion with a hint of season pass mixed in (online, maybe more?). You purchase it like any other DLC/expansion, although future presses of the game include it on the disc, or in bundles with the new guitars. There are no additional songs as a part of the expansion, they say it's not to divide the playerbase, I feel like it's more that licensing is a bitch and if any songs have to be taken down it's easier to take one down rather than a whole expansion. However. if you pre-order it and you'll get 10 songs straight up, and if you pre-order from Amazon you get an additional 2. Those 12 are going to be released as regular DLC later on this month anyway.

As for the rockumentary, here's some footage of the start of it. I've warmed on the idea since the initial announcement, in part to me watching "Kool" Terry Terman's Rock School again which was used to advertise RB4's new features, which I enjoyed. Enough for a whole career mode? We'll see. It'd be funny if a song by Skratch'n Snyf was a bonus track in Rivals.

On top of this, there's also another big update to the game, changing the style of the menus and UI and making music sorting/selection much, more in depth. More than RB3's sorting, it seems like. This is free and is coming along with Rivals, but does not require it.

As a side note, how have I just discovered this Fred Durst solo?

komarkaze

What's is everyone doing regarding RB Rivals pre-order? I was originally going to do a digital preorder. But I've been thinking about replacing my 360 RB2 drum set because the green cymbal port doesn't work, and I really want to play drum pro mode again. However, knowing that ION and electronic drum support is coming soon with the PDP wired legacy adapter, should I skip the regular drums and invest in IONs or electric drums instead? Amazon offers 20% preorders so the Band in a Box bundle will cost $160, and I can sell the RB 4 disc separately bc I already own it digitally. So I'm kind of leaning for the bundle unless the PDP drums end up being awful.

SFenton

Ooh, I totally forgot about Amazon's 20% off.

Damn it, now I want the PDP set too (I use RB2 set with GoodWoodMods right now).

What's is everyone doing regarding RB Rivals pre-order? I was originally going to do a digital preorder. But I've been thinking about replacing my 360 RB2 drum set because the green cymbal port doesn't work, and I really want to play drum pro mode again. However, knowing that ION and electronic drum support is coming soon with the PDP wired legacy adapter, should I skip the regular drums and invest in IONs or electric drums instead? Amazon offers 20% preorders so the Band in a Box bundle will cost $160, and I can sell the RB 4 disc separately bc I already own it digitally. So I'm kind of leaning for the bundle unless the PDP drums end up being awful.

The PDP set is supposedly way better than the Mad Catz one from last year.

BrokenBox

I'm still trying to figure out whether to go digital with Rivals or pick up the guitar bundle. I already have two RB4 Strats, but I really like the blue Jaguar quite a bit. I do have the Amazon discount for the bundle, but still trying to decide.

Alright, got back a few hours ago, so here's my first playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions!

"Flagpole Sitta" - Harvey Danger
Expert Guitar: Expert Guitar: 238,675 | 100% Notes Hit (Full Combo) | Gold Stars | Tier 0 (Warmup)
Expert Bass: 146,240 | 100% Notes Hit (Full Combo) | Gold Stars | Tier 1 (Apprentice)

Legit Stems?: Negative....I think... Guitar seems fine and missing notes on that track doesn't affect any of the other tracks, but when playing bass and missing notes every instrument drops in volune and muffles. Which is odd as it's often the other way around. So it's a pass on this one if you want properly seperated tracks it would seem!

"Stop!" - Jane's Addiction
Expert Guitar: 213,428 | 100% Notes Hit (Full Combo) | Gold Stars | Tier 5 (Nightmare)
Expert Bass: 182,458 | 100% Notes Hit (Full Combo) | Gold Stars | Tier 4 (Challenging)

Legit Stems?: Yup! None of the other instrument tracks falter when missing notes on either guitar or bass, so everything else stays sharp and clear, expect the instrument you're missing notes on. So go ahead and give this song a purchase, it's the real deal!

Impressions!

Flagpole Sitta:- About time we got this track, off of their fantastic debut album "Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?". On both guitar and bass the song plays out almost identical, bouncy held chords and three note chords throughout on guitar, and single note sustains on bass. For a tier 0 and tier 1 respectively they're solid enough. Easy enough to sing and play an instrument too, which is ideal for a song like this.

Stop!:- Sooo much better charted than the horrific, awkward GH:SH chart! The guitar chart is a frantic mish mash of quick alstrummed galloping, hammer-ons up and down the fretboard and a crazy as fuck solo that mixes strum lanes, crazy fast hammer-ons and pull-offs and steady chord strumming. It's an absolute blast, and easily the most satisfying sightread FC I've done in a while! Bass is also great, just as upbeat as the guitar, but with tons of alt strummed single notes arching up and down the fretboard with a ton of 4 note hammer-ons in between. It never lets up and switches up enough to keep the general pattern interesting throughout the entirety of the song. Get it!

Top Bottom