• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: Autumn Update Patch Notes and Info

Blog

THE HEADLINES
‘Farmstead' is now available as a Seasonal Arena in all Playlists

‘Wasteland' and ‘Starbase ARC' have been redesigned as Standard Arenas

More than 90 FREE new items added as drops and Trade-Ins

‘Accelerator Crate' has been added

Player Banners have been added as a new Customization Item

The Main Menu has a redesigned blog UI

New features include Transparent Goalposts, Director Camera, and Local Matches (Steam Only)

Competitive Season 5 ends, and Competitive Season 6 begins

Player Banners are being distributed as Season 5 Rewards

Complete list below...
Wasteland_Standard.jpg

NEW CONTENT
Arenas

‘Farmstead' is now available as a Seasonal Arena in all Playlists

‘Wasteland' and ‘Starbase ARC' have been redesigned as Standard Arenas.

Previous versions are now called ‘Badlands' and ‘ARCtagon,' can be found in Rumble, Private Matches, and Offline

‘DFH Stadium' (Day)

‘Champions Field' (Day)

‘Mannfield' (Snowy)

Snowy Arena variants will return to Casual and Competitive Playlists during the holiday season

Player Banners

Player Banners are new Customization Items displayed in the main menu and during Goal Replays.

Some Player Banners have customizable background colors, while others may have an animated background.

Some Player Banners may drop with a ‘Painted' attribute

Player Banners will be available as Common items after any match, while others will be Rare or Very Rare drops after Online Matches, or via the Trade-In system:

General

More than 90 FREE new items added to the drop rate (including the Player Banners listed above)

‘Accelerator Crate' has been added

Community Flags

‘Jon Sandman'

‘Woofless'

rl_lan_screen_2.jpg

CHANGES AND UPDATES
General

Players can now change to another Custom Training pack while playing a Custom Training pack

While in a Custom Training pack, pause the game, choose ‘Change Training' from the in-game menu

‘Stick Sensitivity' has been added to the Controls menu

At the default value of 1.0, your controller will behave the same as before

Your analog stick input is multiplied by these values. Increasing them makes your controller more sensitive at the cost of some fine-tuned control

At the maximum value of 10.0, your controller behaves like Keyboard steering, turning at maximum speed from any stick tilt

‘Camera Transition Speed' option has been added to the Camera menu

Increasing this value makes your camera blend between Ball Cam and Player Cam more quickly

‘Always Show Nameplates' option has been added to the Gameplay menu

When enabled, this option will prevent other players' nameplates from being hidden even at long distances

All cars are now using one of the standardized presets for handling and hitbox introduced in the Anniversary Update

Main Menu

The Main Menu has a redesigned blog UI

The blog is now collapsable

The blog will auto expand if new news has been added since your last play session

More information about live esports events is now included

The new ‘Play' submenu consolidates all Offline and Online play modes into one section.

Exhibition and Season modes can now be found under ‘Play Local'

‘Stats,' ‘Leaderboards,' and ‘League Rankings' are now found under the ‘Career' submenu

Transparent-Goalposts-1080.jpg

Transparent Goalposts

A new ‘Transparent Goalposts' option has been added that causes goalposts and some walls to become see-through when necessary to see the ball

All Arenas but Rocket Labs use this new feature

Transparent Goalposts are enabled by default, but can be toggled off to return to their previous, non-transparent behavior

To disable, uncheck the ‘Transparent Goalposts' box in your Video settings under the Options submenu

Audio

Introduction of sound ducking in the audible items of the garage

When browsing customization items with audio (Goal Explosions, Boosts), in-game background audio/music volume will automatically lower

Added delay before playing ‘hover' item sound to reduce audio spamming in garage

Performance pass on general gameplay to reduce voice count on lower volume assets

Director Camera (Beta)

A new Spectator camera option called ‘Director' has been added

The Director is an AI-controlled Camera mode that predicts Shots, Goals, and Saves and cuts to the best player view to frame the action

rl_s5_rewards_standard.jpg

Competitive Season 5

Competitive Season 5 has ended. Titles and items will be awarded for your highest rank achieved during the season. Season 5 Rewards are custom, non-tradeable Player Banners

Receiving the Season 5 Reward Player Banners is also contingent upon successful completion of Season Reward Levels

Reward Player Banners:

‘Season 5 - Bronze (Dragon)'

‘Season 5 - Silver (Dragon)'

‘Season 5 - Gold (Dragon)'

‘Season 5 - Platinum (Dragon)'

‘Season 5 - Diamond (Dragon)'

‘Season 5 - Champion (Dragon)'

‘Season 5 - Grand Champion (Dragon)'

Season 5 Grand Champions will also receive the 'Season 5 Grand Champion' Title

A second set of Season Reward Player Banners will also be awarded, with the same requirements outlined above:

'Season 5 - Bronze'

'Season 5 - Silver'

'Season 5 - Gold'

'Season 5 - Platinum'

'Season 5 - Diamond'

'Season 5 - Champion'

'Season 5 - Grand Champion'

Competitive Season 6

Competitive Season 6 has begun

Season 6 brings a ”soft reset" that requires you to do placement matches in each playlist to recalibrate

Winning half of your placement matches will land you near your previous season ranking

Rank requirements have been updated to distribute more players into Platinum tier and higher, and to reduce the amount of players in Bronze I

League Rankings will be temporarily empty until players complete their placement matches

Local Match (Steam Only)

Players on Steam can now host and join LAN matches directly through the Play menu

‘Host Local Lobby' to create a LAN server that other players can join on your network

‘Find Local Lobby' to browse for LAN servers you can connect to

Local / LAN matches allow you and your friends to compete without the need for an internet connection

The LAN Lobby creator is hosting the match on their computer. Using Alt-Tab in Fullscreen mode or taking other actions on that computer may affect server performance. Using a Spectator PC to host the lobby for LAN events is recommended

KNOWN ISSUES
Starbase ARC has a few textures that aren't rendering correctly at map start

These textures should correct once a match begins, should not affect gameplay

Xbox One may crash in Main Menu if opening and closing too many menus quickly

BUG FIXES
General

Bumping and Demolish Updates

Fixed an issue where car collisions could be incorrectly handled depending on the order the physics engine processed them in

Fixed an issue where Demolishes and Bumps could be incorrectly handled depending on the depth of its bumper penetration into the other car's collision.

Ball Indicator on Champions Field has been fixed

Restored Batmobile to its pre-Anniversary Update state based on community feedback

The Steam Controller now works as intended on Mac hardware

Party members can no longer be pulled out of a Ranked match by a Party Leader

Winning player no longer receives a loss when leaving a Ranked 1v1 match during an overtime Goal Replay

Entering Free Play while joining an Online Match no longer prevents players from joining an Online Match

Xbox One

Crash fixes

Fixed a performance issue related to a few Achievements

Fixed an issue where VSync was not being properly disabled even when checked off in the Video Options

PedroRVD

I still dream with an update that let normal people jump, fly and do aerial moves without practicing rocket science for 3 months. This was a 10/10 game for me until I realized how hard is to do aerials and how expert players abuse this and destroy the fun for everybody else :(

MJLord

I still dream with an update that let normal people jump, fly and do aerial moves without practicing rocket science for 3 months. This was a 10/10 game for me until I realized how hard is to do aerials and how expert players abuse this and destroy the fun for everybody else :(

You're mad people are good at the game?

Honestly they give you all the sources to learn. The practice mode is great and it really just take some time.

uwotm8? Are you seriously complaining about someone else being better at you?

PedroRVD

You're mad people are good at the game?

No. But the gap is too big when someone learns aerials ... and this requires tons of practice. RL has everything to be a game where everybody is at the same level field and just reflexes, thinking, strategy and intuition prevailing in a match. That would be a perfect game for me. Of course I know a lot of people love it ... and i like it a lot as well ... but I’m my mind this game has a loooot more potential.

Unicorn

You must hate fighting games. Luckily you get prizes in rocket league whether you win or lose!
I hate that the turned all the arenas standard -- I looked forward to the non-standard ones. Oh well.
Private matches!

No. But the gap is too big when someone learns aerials ... and this requires tons of practice. RL has everything to be a game where everybody is at the same level field and just reflexes, thinking, strategy and intuition prevailing in a match. That would be a perfect game for me. Of course I know a lot of people love it ... and i like it a lot as well ... but I'm my mind this game has a loooot more potential.

Play ranked. Do the aerial tutorials while waiting for matches. Problem solved.

Do you played ranked? I imagine at the lowest levels most people aren't doing aerials?

Slixshot

Banned
No. But the gap is too big when someone learns aerials ... and this requires tons of practice. RL has everything to be a game where everybody is at the same level field and just reflexes, thinking, strategy and intuition prevailing in a match. That would be a perfect game for me. Of course I know a lot of people love it ... and i like it a lot as well ... but I’m my mind this game has a loooot more potential.

There are rankings. You play against people of similar skill level. There is a noticeable difference when I am playing with my friend and when I am playing with people on my particular level. If you are ranked, you should be playing with people who have similar competencies of the controls with an outlier every now and again. Right?

"Other people being better than me is their fault"

Not a good look, pal.

Thank god for no more shitty maps. My push to 1000 hours played will be much more enjoyable. I'm curious how all the cars are fitting into the hitbox archetypes. Surely some of them will fall into the octane category.

If you want to be able to do that stuff, put the time in. It's immensely rewarding. Becoming better at Rocket League is by far one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

Cess007

I say this on every thread, but I can't believe this game has been out for almost 2 years and half and I still play it everyday. Can't wait to claim my rewards and play the new arena today.

All cars are now using one of the standardized presets for handling and hitbox introduced in the Anniversary Update

I haven't played the game in awhile, so I'm not sure what the Anniversary Update is referring to. Does this mean that all cars are exactly the same now? I kind of hope so.

Except that good players are all at relatively the same level now and it just comes down to reflexes, thinking, strategy and intuition. Except we do it in the air and ground

GG. Git gud. 2EZ

Kayant

Stick Sensitivity’ has been added to the Controls menu

At the default value of 1.0, your controller will behave the same as before

Your analog stick input is multiplied by these values. Increasing them makes your controller more sensitive at the cost of some fine-tuned control

At the maximum value of 10.0, your controller behaves like Keyboard steering, turning at maximum speed from any stick tilt
So if I understand correctly this will mean the work around of using a square deadline wouldn't be needed anymore?
‘Camera Transition Speed’ option has been added to the Camera menu

Increasing this value makes your camera blend between Ball Cam and Player Cam more quickly
This something I feel I might not have needed but will do. I know this is something Kux with test a lot.

Also if you play ranked, then after a few matches you should only be playing people who have roughly the same ability as you, and you should win 50% of the time.

Arttemis

I could never break gold 3 this season. I was Platinum and Star before, but now Gold is filled with people doing aerial dribbles and stupid shit.

Briarios

Me too! I understand why they've done it but I liked the variety.

What's funny is that in power sports, tracks vary in size and shape ... And football pitches vary in size within set parameters. So, why wouldn't arenas vary?

What's funny is that in power sports, tracks vary in size and shape ... And football pitches vary in size within set parameters. So, why wouldn't arenas vary?

The VAST majority of the people hated it and pros ignored them completely. They fought the good fight and even made a full playlist dedicated to testing non conventional maps and it was a ghost town. It's over.

Restarted steam update is out.

The VAST majority of the people hated it and pros ignored them completely. They fought the good fight and even made a full playlist dedicated to testing non conventional maps and it was a ghost town. It's over.

Restarted steam update is out.
Do you know how big the download is?

edit: 2.7GB for me on PC.

Are the season 5 reward banners supposed to be distributed today with the update? Because I totally don't have mine.

edit: seeing on reddit it might take a while to distribute the rewards. Will wait.

nicolajNN

I haven't played the game in awhile, so I'm not sure what the Anniversary Update is referring to. Does this mean that all cars are exactly the same now? I kind of hope so.

Not quite, there are 4 or 5 types and all cars fit into one of these, so for example the flat long cars(batmobile, Mantis, Twin Mill etc.) all have the same hitbox and handling, same with the Octane "class"(Octane, Marauder etc.) and so on.

Interested in that stick sensitivity setting, and hopefully those bump changes help some of the weirdness with bumps not registering properly

REALLY stoked for whenever they push out tournaments, that should be a blast

DavidDesu

Super glad wasteland got changed. I hated that map and its jank angles.

Agreed, but Starbase even more so. That map was just crap, too many goals people never intended due to the hexagonal layout and it was too small too. Detested it. Should be standard maps in ranked always.

Yea and also I wish Rock Band made every track on easy no matter what, especially for drummers, because I can't FC songs on expert.

#gitgud

I'm too lazy to learn aerial and still manage to reach platinum/star every season. Obviously there's a skill ceiling you'll never be able to break if you're not willing to learn, but there's still tons of fun to be had and you'll be surprised the levels you can reach.

Most low-mid level aerial players are still easily beatable. Most of them telegraph their moves.

Top Bottom