• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League hits 1 million unique players on Xbox One

One million PAID players. That's awesome for RL!

Its 1m players, game allows split screen plus game sharing on Xbox too. I don't know how popular split-screen is in Rocket League, but it will still be a great big number of sales for them

Rolling in $$

Rivitur

Banned
Well with splitscreening and having multiple accounts logged in at the same time while doing local splitscreening it's not surprising they reached 1mil.

Grinchy

Banned
God damn. I wonder if they've hit $100M in revenue yet.

For a game that almost never came out, what an insane success.

I'm considering double dipping just to support Psyonix as much as possible. My favorite game in the last decade by far. I'm so damn glad that it is doing so well!

It's crazy how big Rocket League's gotten, tbh. Seems like it's successful on everything.

A simple formula that's easy to understand does wonders for it but that skill ceiling keeps people coming back and that's what has amazed me the most. Still regularly hitting 120,000 players at the weekend. These new ball physics are weird though.

So happy to see this game getting the love it deserves. Best multiplayer game I've played in years. So much fun even if you're losing.

HUELEN10

And people were worried. Unfounded worries and unrealistic demands.

The good news? More Rocket League, more fun, and more players for all, regardless of platform of choice. :D

Compsiox

Banned
Do you feel more in control when playing now than when it first launched? When I played I felt like I was fodder.

Head.spawn

And people were worried. Unfounded worries and unrealistic demands.

The good news? More Rocket League, more fun, and more players for all, regardless of platform of choice. :D

There was definitely some concern, I don't know that I'd call it actually worrying in don some cases though.

Gurish

I wonder if the Xbox One version will be more profitable than the PS4 version in the long run, or if they got a real good deal for that PS+ promotion.
Yea that's an interesting experiment that I guess many indies developers are following on now, PS4 will have higher number of players, but will it be more profitable because of that considering most of them didn't buy it?

If the XB1 version would make more money I think we will see less initiatives like this with PLUS.

Introvese

Banned
Yea that's an interesting experiment that I guess many indies developers are following on now, PS4 will have higher number of players, but will it be more profitable because of that considering most of them didn't buy it?

If the XB1 version would make more money I think we will see less initiatives like this with PLUS.

More than likely Sony. And if it wasn't for Sony getting the game on plus who knows what RL does

It's thanks to the exposure on PS+ that this game became such a success. Less initiative my ass.

eerik9000

You guys realise that they do get paid by Sony for those PS+ downloads, right? It's not like Sony forces developers do give away their game.

IvanJ

Banned
Great news.
Happy for Psyonix, and happy that the XOne gamers have a chance to experience this wonderful game.

TBiddy

Well with splitscreening and having multiple accounts logged in at the same time while doing local splitscreening it's not surprising they reached 1mil.

I think that post is the very definition of "downplaying the competitors succes". Kudos for that. Other than that, can you provide your own qualified guess on how many copies have been sold?

Incredible game. 3 of my buddies bought it after I raved about it, now we play hours whenever we can. Great success.

It's fantastic, indeed! I had my mate over the other day to try it, and he was hooked after 10 minutes. It's just that good.

Introvese

Banned
You guys realise that they do get paid by Sony for those PS+ downloads, right? It's not like Sony forces developers do give away their game.

It's thanks to the exposure on PS+ that this game became such a success. Less initiative my ass.
If u don't see that I don't kno what to tell u. That 1st month on Plus sold the hell out this game. No way in the world I ever think I would like a game like this. If it wasn't a Plus game idk if I would have played it.

Coxy100

Banned
It will be 1 million and one once the physical edition comes out! Waiting for that...

Well done to rocket league though - can't wait to play it

jesu

Because cross-play is a good thing. Why are you questioning it, more players is better for everyone.

Off the top of my head I can think of 326 xbox one/ps4 games that don't have cross platform play.
It's not needed and neither is mentioning cross platform play in every rocket league thread.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if the Xbox One version will be more profitable than the PS4 version in the long run, or if they got a real good deal for that PS+ promotion.

I bet they got a good deal from PS+ and also that PS+ gave them a good kickstart with a good sized online population that allowed the game to get a grip and start word of mouth.

Game is amazing but it could easily have been overlooked so getting it into people's hands was crucial

Raldoh

Off the top of my head I can think of 326 xbox one/ps4 games that don't have cross platform play.
It's not needed and neither is mentioning cross platform play in every rocket league thread.

Not needed? Cross platform ensures that the online population is a high as possible. For a game using matchmaking that can only be a good thing.

Hot damn, RL is now legit big on all consoles...
2528758-2609457303-24417.jpg

Well, let's hope for an NX port :D

I remember the doubters and haters. Glad they are being proven wrong!

Hot damn, RL is now legit big on all consoles...
2528758-2609457303-24417.jpg

Well, let's hope for an NX port :D

I remember the doubters and haters. Glad they are being proven wrong!
How do you know this success is because of Plus? games did very well without Plus as well, it might have been a huge success on its own.

Ps plus will have helped playerbase but it won't have helped the accolades the twitch support etc. It was huge on pc straight away. It will have been successful no matter what. Would be funny if the xbox one version was more profitable than the ps4 after all the negativity it received in threads about it

Leflus

it might be one buy and 999999 other accounts accessing it!
I don't know about you guys, but I gameshared it with Phil Spencer. Since Phil probably recieved a code from ID@Xbox or the devs, maybe no one bought it at all?!

Sounds like RL did really well on XBO. Plus they still have GwG as an option for when the userbase needs a little vitamin injection.

Top Bottom