• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar release more details about GTA ONLINE

UrbanRats

The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash. There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game.
Well then fine with me.

Mr.Fresh

This is gonna be sooo much fun. Me and my friends are ready! With this Diablo and FFXIV, I might not open my PS4 until Christmas.

Sanic

Sounds like they're trying to build up a lot of fluff around what seems like a fairly standard MP suite with some now standard "persistence". Looks like it should evolve beyond that after launch, but for right now you can label my a cynic.

So being able to purchase properties, own your own possessions and being able to partake in random events going on in the world is no less persistent than GTA4 was? Seriously?

...with 16 other people. Do we have details on how/if this trancends into something more than CoD style upgrades?

Dave1988

Hmmm, this doesn't sound too terrible. Bummer that doing heists isn't day 1, though. The heists are practically the best part of GTAV.

Persistent in that your character ranks up (in IV), keeps money (I think money in IV was just your experience towards your next rank), and can purchase properties, cars, clothes, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, It's been a while since I've played IV online.

That sounds about right. R* is really harping on this 'persistant' bullet point but it's really the same stuff you used to be able to do. It sounds like the only real persistance is tracking what missions you have done and maybe what online car you own. There aren't going to be any major changes to the online world if every time you connect you could be grouped with a different 15 people.

Hystzen

Hmmm, this doesn't sound too terrible. Bummer that doing heists isn't day 1, though. The heists are practically the best part of GTAV.

I think they really want them servers not to die so cut a few things then add them later to ease them up a bit until more stable.

Hopefully free aim is the default outside of free roam because lock on completely ruins the fun for cops and crooks on GTA IV. Lets hope the netcode is much improved also.

Jhoan

The fact that tennis is in GTA Online pleases me dearly. That's awesome news all around. Gotta get an extra long ethernet cable and get back online with my Xbox.

Marleyman

Banned
Still sounds like the online is not any more persistant than GTA4 was.

confused_christian_bale.gif

What's confusing. You are going to log into a lobby and play game modes and missions with different people, depending on who is in the lobby. Even GTA4 had the 'full city lobby'. Aside from keeping the same upgraded car and maybe house, what is persistant?

ViviOggi

The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash. There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game. You don’t have to spend real money to attain the cars, guns, clothes, flash and style of a high-roller in Los Santos, but can if you wish to get them a little quicker. The economy is balanced differently from the single player economy, and cash earned in one cannot be taken over to the other. Most players will earn cash much faster Online than in Story Mode.

At least they are away of people's concerns, let's see if they deliver.

Shiz86

Wow! I think that releasing GTA:O a couple of weeks after launch was a good idea. Been hyped for it whilst playing the SP as the game has been such a frigging blast. While roaming I keep thinking 'ohh, this would be cool to do online', ' this would be a good area for a race' etc.

This really is one of the only games that has delivered on the hype and then some. Which is not easy considering it's GTA levels of hype.

Also, GTA ctf??! Shit gonna get Craaaazay.

Who needs next gen?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm still confused on how a 16 person limit will work with random people.

Once you log in are you "instanced" into your version of Los Santos? How do other people from around the world interact with you? When you have your gang together and you want to deathmatch or race or whatever, are you put into a queue and instanced into the deathmatch map?

Can randoms just invade your own version of Los Santos? Can you do the same?

It will no doubt be like previous R* games but with more bells and whistles, you can enter a random world with other people or invite friends to yours and just have who you want there. There is no your Los Santos, your character and what you own from cars to apartments will come with you in what ever instance of Los Santos you are in.

If it is like RDR then activities and such like that take place on the map you are on will involve everyone travelling to that point, or say for a death match everyone will be spawned at a certain place for that game.

ViviOggi

It will no doubt be like previous R* games but with more bells and whistles, you can enter a random world with other people or invite friends to yours and just have who you want there. There is no your Los Santos, your character and what you own from cars to apartments will come with you in what ever instance of Los Santos you are in.

How are they going to handle different players owning the same apartments though? That has to be phased.

Not talking about having concerns. Specifically talking about whiners.

You sure showed them

Marleyman

Banned
What's confusing. You are going to log into a lobby and play game modes and missions with different people, depending on who is in the lobby. Even GTA4 had the 'full city lobby'. Aside from keeping the same upgraded car and maybe house, what is persistant?

A garage, a house, friends able to hang out in said house, watch TV, do activities with friends such as golf, tennis, make your own races, content creator, pulling heists together is all different from the vanilla free roam of GTA IV.

cdkee

Banned
A garage, a house, friends able to hang out in said house, watch TV, do activities with friends such as golf, tennis, make your own races, content creator, pulling heists together is all different from the vanilla free roam of GTA IV.

Not to mention 500 missions...

Hystzen

Don't forget shark punching

hmmm I think going have to get a group together to go hunt mountain lions with a knife find who is a real man

online races :D :D yesssssssssss

im glad its gonna be like IV where you can just choose it and it puts you in a race lobby, or am i reading that wrong.

BigDug13

So this is going to be deeply ingrained into the game right? So you have the 4th character slot and you can probably switch to him at any time in GTA outside of missions and then it probably zooms out like normal then loads you into one of the available servers and then Zooms in to your online character who's going to be in the middle of doing something in the same game world as the single player character you just left.

Sanic

What do you mean by this - as in just unlocking stuff by levelling up? And if so, what would you do to 'transcend' that?

Basically yes, you buy/unlock stuff that can then be experienced by only 16 other people. The fact that it's essentially isolated worlds is what trips me up about the whole thing. I feel like they've been hinting at a more MMO like structure, but I'm not seeing it. It really feels like just a CoD-like system applied to gta.

pringles

This seems...pointless.
what...what...what??

GTA IV's free mode online was the only reason I kept playing it for years after release. And honestly that was kind of awful in a lot of ways and much more restrictive than V's online seems.

Being a couple friends going around creating havoc and running from the cops is endless fun, the fact V is going to have a ton of things to do online beyond that will probably make it the best online experience of the generation IF there aren't any unexpected big, big problems/limitations or downscaled stuff from offline.

friends able to hang out in said house, watch TV, do activities with friends such as golf, tennis, make your own races, content creator, pulling heists together is all different from the vanilla free roam of GTA IV.

I wouldn't call any of that persistant. The house and car, sure. The rest of it is just more awesome stuff to do online for sure, but none of that adds to the persistance they are trying to sell. They could just sell this as a massive improvement but it's R* so they are trying too hard to oversell it.

duckroll

I'm really excited that Rockstar is taking this seriously, and also finally opening communication to fans directly with regards to their server troubles. Unfortunately it doesn't really raise my expectations of the disaster waiting to happen on Oct 1. That's fine though, I'll have happy to play this whenever it actually works. Meanwhile I'll have Terraria 1.2. Lol.

So this is going to be deeply ingrained into the game right? So you have the 4th character slot and you can probably switch to him at any time in GTA outside of missions and then it probably zooms out like normal then loads you into one of the available servers and then Zooms in to your online character who's going to be in the middle of doing something in the same game world as the single player character you just left.

No, GTA Online takes place before GTA5's story mode. It's not in the same world. Uses the same city though.

cdkee

Banned

I read that GTAOnline takes place before the events of the SP. So maybe not.

BigDug13

I'm really excited that Rockstar is taking this seriously, and also finally opening communication to fans directly with regards to their server troubles. Unfortunately it doesn't really raise my expectations of the disaster waiting to happen on Oct 1. That's fine though, I'll have happy to play this whenever it actually works. Meanwhile I'll have Terraria 1.2. Lol.

No, GTA Online takes place before GTA5's story mode. It's not in the same world. Uses the same city though.

Ok that makes sense. It still seems like you will be able to jump in and out as easily as switching single player characters though since they designed that 4th slot.

Top Bottom