• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One opens to $29M during Thursday previews shows in the US+Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
For a sequel in December, Rogue One is off to a fantastic start, and given its momentum and positive word of mouth, it’s a movie that moviegoers will gradually make their way to during the holiday season, even if they’re not out in ultimate force this weekend, but still, with a projected weekend between $140M-$145M at 4,157 theaters, that’s pretty damn good. Currently, Friday looks like it’s in the high $60M range, including $29M from last night.

Phonciple said $160-170M! Was he right?

2202-Insurgent-quotes.gif

Vinny said $145-155M! Get your Divergent avatar ready :p

My $40 went towards that, the hype towards TFA was much higher though and every ticket for TFA was sold out in minutes around my area, whereas I can still buy tickets for most showings the entire weekend for Rogue One. They even added crazy time showings at some theaters around here, literally 24x7 TFA and the theaters were still getting mostly booked at like 3am in the morning. Really no comparison at all.

TFA also got a massive positive word of mouth, while I liked Rogue One and it was different in many (good) ways, end of the day it'd probably be #4 or 5 in my rankings of Star Wars movies.

liquidtmd

Banned
Just out of it.

I think it was the best version of what it was going for. Daughter liked it over Force Awakens, I thought it was a visually good, solid little 2 hour Star Wars yarn.

Characters weren't the most engaging of types but surpassed my (in check) expectations. Death Star shots were gorgeous looming over planets.

You can almost feel the amount of work they put in to make this movie hold together. It feels a little forced (sorry) and less naturally jaunty and flowing than TFA for me but it works and in some ways superior to it.

Deserves whatever money it takes in. I appreciate the effort Lucasfilm and Disney expended - they could have easily been less careful quality wise and still raked in the cash.

kswiston

Nice, still weird that they call it a preview night like it's some kind of special thing.

Thursday typically starts between 7pm and 9pm, and most theatres run the film on fewer screens than Friday night. That may be less true for films with huge demand, but evening demand on Thursday is usually nowhere near as strong as evening demand on Friday.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah he's had his hand in it since practically the beginning. They credited him as story-writer I believe.

He also named the film and created the majority of the new characters. Certainly Jyn Erso is his, and the opening scenes of the film are essentially unchanged from his original draft.

He also named the film and created the majority of the new characters. Certainly Jyn Erso is his, and the opening scenes of the film are essentially unchanged from his original draft.

the first act of the movie is a trainwreck. terrible staging, confusing editing, stilted and unnatural dialogue. my girlfriend and i just kept looking at each other for the first ~30 minutes like are they fucking serious with this??

I would be VERY curious to find out which scenes Tony Gilroy was responsible for as a few particular scenes in Rogue One are of noticeably higher quality. Edwards staging of dialogue was awful in Godzilla and awful in Rogue One. I give him credit for knowing how to film an action sequence (hes quite good at this) but such incompetence when things arent blowing up is hard to ignore.

opoth

Banned
Most interesting aspect of the Rogue One threads is the retroactive bashing of Ep7. Still seems surreal to me.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Most interesting aspect of the Rogue One threads is the retroactive bashing of Ep7. Still seems surreal to me.

I agree.

I still love that movie but I feel like everywhere I turn people are preaching it's dreadful. I just don't remember that message during release.

liquidtmd

Banned

People are weird for all out attacks on TFA but then we've got people now retroactively saying AOTC isn't all that bad, these are strange times.

opoth

Banned
People are weird for all out attacks on TFA but then we've got people now retroactively saying AOTC isn't all that bad, these are strange times.

I still think its mostly sour grapes from the generation that grew up with the prequels who were conditioned from childhood that the next generation of Star Wars films should always be bashed mercilessly by the prior generation.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Boke1879

I agree.

I still love that movie but I feel like everywhere I turn people are preaching it's dreadful. I just don't remember that message during release.

It's not the consensus at all. A lot of people loved that movie and still do. I understand people don't like the movie, but it's hardly the popular view.

A giant spectacle with a slow start and great finale, but with shit characters that make no impression. Almost a chore to sit thru the first hour.

Nowhere near TFA in terms of film-making, storytelling, world building, or really anything else, so I don't think it deserves to make TFA money. Maybe only making a billion (har har) will teach Disney not to glue together reshot pieces of several different movies into one film.

Izayoi

Banned
Seriously incredible movie. Better than TFA, easily.

The sense of scale was something that was missing from the previous title, but this one pulls it off flawlessly.

Can't wait to see it again.

DavidDesu

Haha yeah like some weird false narrative attempt. Meanwhile there's fuckwits insisting Revenge Of The Sith was a good film, or even one of the best. This is the world that gave us Trump though so I just fucking give up with these people.

TFA is still a fucking magical film to me, and on another level of cohesion compared to Rogue One. Rogue One feels well.. like a good Marvel film or something, but benefitting from the amazing Star Wars universe setting and characters. TFA does genuinely feel like OT Star Wars to me, but with that extra sheen of modern movie making techniques.

Rogue One definitely is a great film, and absolutely a great film in the last half. I don't particularly find much to hate in the first half either but I doubt I'll watch the entire film in one sitting very often, just ff to the best bits. This notion that TFA was awful, OR that Rogue One is awful is just silly and people should stop.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
There were only 10 people at the noon showing I went to, regular 3D. But it was freezing cold, -30c and 60km gusts.

I really enjoyed the movie, much better than TFA..

kswiston

I think that Tarzan was the most wrong I was this year. I was expecting about a third of what it ended up making domestic.

Better than the $400M domestic predictions one or two people were making for ID4R though!

3N16MA

Banned
I think that Tarzan was the most wrong I was this year. I was expecting about a third of what it ended up making domestic.

Better than the $400M domestic predictions one or two people were making for ID4R though!

ID4R was supposed to be the next JW.

Tansut

Real curious to see the legs on this thing. General consensus seems to be pretty positive so I think they'll hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom