• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romero on Twitter: 'I Have Plans for Old-School FPS'

Zeliard

Well, if this actually happens it would be promising. People often associate Romero with Daikatana and Doom, but Quake shouldn't be forgotten. Specifically, Quake multiplayer. I hope Romero ventures back to realm of fast-paced deathmatch.

Have you learned your lesson regarding self-aggrandising marketing, John? Have you?

I think that's probably a safe bet. :p

He "only" made money off of 750,000 players. If we go by that blanket statistic.

edit: Farmville was seen as a very successful cash cow, even if 3% paid, at 31 million players. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...-games-make-money-lessons-from-farmville.html

"he" probably didn't, as he was brought in by another company relatively late on to rescue a project that had completely gone off rails. i'm pretty sure it was contract work, and i bet he didn't end up with a large piece of the pie. that's probably why he started his own casual game company right after in fact.

lets get some things straight about John. the problems with Daikatana were pretty much exclusively poor project management. he had only ever worked with small teams before, and then someone came along with a crap load of money and let him put himself in charge of a massive team to make the ambitious project he'd wanted Quake to be.

large ambitions. in charge of a new team, larger than any he'd worked on before, many of who aren't used to working in a team (people who had previously only built single player maps) and many of who had never worked on a game before, things went horribly and predictably wrong.

that doesn't undo his talent as a game designer, but it shows his inexperience as a team leader at the time. he made a very bad call switching to Quake 2 which put them much further behind schedule than he expected, and that put the team into a pretty much endless crunch. after a while, most of the team walked out, and he had to find a whole new team. had to give the programmer months to figure out where the previous one had got to, and they were now even MORE behind, so still in crunch.

fast forward a bit, and most of the team walked out AGAIN.

by the end, they were just trying to get Daikatana out the door. by the end they had spent so long staring at the same stuff that they couldn't even tell what was good and what wasn't and started scrapping perfectly good levels because they were sick of looking at them and testing them.

the ambition in places outstripped what was possible at the time (AI companions that can follow you through the whole level and do whatever you do) and in other places was just crazy (lets have four complete weapon sets, enemy sets, texture sets, etc).

but even so, some of the game design shines through. to this day i enjoy the multiplayer. character movement and weapons feel great, and it's the first FPS i'm aware of that incorporated RPG stat type things into the multiplayer (kills gain XP, which earn stat points you can use in five different areas).

the multiplayer was really good. the single player game was woefully mediocre, and at launch, contained at least one massive game breaking glitch that effected the majority of players.

the main thing that i find encouraging about Ravenwood Fair is that John came in and rescued a development team in crisis, and turned that game around into a hit. i've never felt he lost his game design skills (though he certainly lost his confidence)... but maybe that shows that he learnt from the mistakes he made with Daikatana.

and maybe this old school FPS is the right type of project and the right scale of project for him to shine once again.

A Facebook game with 25 million players is not a success story.

yes it is. only Zynga had games bigger than 25 million players last year. 25 million put Ravenwood Fair into the top 10 games on Facebook in 2011. maybe even top five. if you're bigger than everyone other than Zynga on facebook, and you're bigger than *some* of Zynga's games... that's a success story.

Romero was asked: 'Have you guys given up on making a good old school FPS ?' and responded with 'Definitely not! I have plans...'.

https://twitter.com/#!/romero/status/178715490523426816

And no, not Daikatana II: 'There will be no DK2!'.
https://twitter.com/#!/romero/status/178723002538663936

Kickstarter incoming?

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
It would be awesome if he could get some of the guys that used to work at id to develop it.

I would kill for something with a similiar graphical style to Doom but in a 3d engine with dynamic lighting. And of course the gameplay should be similiar but with a crapload of different weapons and monsters and a shitload of different death animations for every monster. Add an awseome dark ambient or death metal soundtrack and it might just be the best fps ever.

I did. It's boring. It's like playing a weird mix of Serious Sam and Call of Duty. Games like Painkiller or Bulletstorm show much better how to create modern versions of oldschool games.
Did you actually beat it? It sounds like you're describing the dull first few levels of the game, after that it becomes a real Serious Sam game.

Victrix

*beard*
Gamers have loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong memories

They can continue to quote unfunny memes for decades!

Glix

Serious Sam is probably the type of thing he wants to make. EDIT - I haven't played 3

He's the godfather or whatever, so I guess he's allowed.

I wish. Even if it was terrible, it would still be more competitive than any of these laughable military shooters.

Yeah. I was really bummed when the CPL died and took the game with it. I was really curious to see what a game with pro level competition in mind with great devs behind it could be.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Could someone give me the cliff notes on why Daikatana turned out so terrible? I remember buying it for $1.99 at a clearance sale about a decade ago but have no memory of it.

Barakov

I'm interested if it has 1993 level design as well as other things that make an fps how it was back then.

robin2

id prime members should really have this big fistfight so they can settle whatever happened, and get together again for the Quake 1 sequel.

jbueno

what exactly would make a FPS "old school"?

Hopefully this instead of the no mouselook.
Y6tjC.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I have plans to continue ignoring everything this guy puts out. I should probably put that on twitter.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hopefully these plans involve making a good game. Unlike the last few.

robin2

Wow. Does this thread live in a fucking bizarro world where nobody is aware of the large GAF fanbase for old-school FPS design?

People claiming we don't want these games, or that they'd never work. In the age of Hard Reset, Painkiller and Serious Sam? Or Brutal Doom for that matter?

Now I get why on a certain forum they beg you to "lurk moar".

You are kidding yourself (cit.)

todahawk

Came in here expecting a George Romero Zombie FPS... NOPE. Started reading the OP and got my popcorn bucket ready for Daikatana 2... NOPE.

scitek

Zombies. Can't have a Romero game without zombies. Like how Irrational Games' games have a Maroon 5 soundtrack.

Top Bottom