• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Root Double - Before Crime * After Days KS ($135k goal/Steam&Vita/Zero Escape-like)

Is Zero Escape 999?
Because Root Double is way better than that game.
There were some things about it I didn't like, but over all it was a solid experience, and kept me hooked start to finish.

How does it compare to Remember11 and I/O?

Remember11 is one of my favourite VN's, it has the best pacing and tension i've ever experienced, if Root Double is similiar then this might be my most anticipated game!!!!

Shinriji

Like a friend pointed out, Sekai Project could license the Vita version directly with Yeti/Regista this time, instead of having to port it themselves or try to strike a deal with another publisher. If they're licensing the PC version, they could also license the Vita version without adding another company to the negotiations.

Too bad for the huge file size of the vita version. It was only released digitally because it won't fit on a regular vita card.

blacksark

Too bad for the huge file size of the vita version. It was only released digitally because it won't fit on a regular vita card.

Didn't know that! I don't know if that makes me happy or sad, because I wanted the vita version physically and not digitally, however this makes it impossible to see a retail version for vita.
Well we'll see what happens,but if the only possibility for having the game in retail is pc then that would be my decision. Still worried that this is going so slowly(and if it's funded I believe that it's going to be the game and none of the stretch goals).
I also believe that this "failure" is due to the rewards.

Shizuka

A lot of money would come from the physical rewards, but with several Sekai Project campaigns that don't have those rewards delivered yet, people will just wait. They could pledge for the digital copy, but that's nothing exclusive and they could just wait for the Steam release in a few months.

What's wrong with that?
Many visual novels are that long and are fine.

Gonna disagree there. The only VN I played above 20 hours that didn't have terrible pacing was Danganronpa 2, and that didn't have the best pacing either.

Nothing has been quite as bad as Umineko, with 20 hours of content stretched to 150, but it's still a genre absolutely plagued by pacing issues.

Sakura

Gonna disagree there. The only VN I played above 20 hours that didn't have terrible pacing was Danganronpa 2, and that didn't have the best pacing either.

Nothing has been quite as bad as Umineko, with 20 hours of content stretched to 150, but it's still a genre absolutely plagued by pacing issues.

I'm looking through my list of VNs on vndb and many of my top voted ones, Clannad, Little Busters, Baldr Sky, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Oretsuba, etc say >50 hours.
There are long games that have bad pacing, like your Umineko for example, or Muv Luv Alternative as another. But there are many that are fine in my opinion too.

Ultimately though, in the case of Root Double, I simply don't remember enough to say for certain one way or the other. I should point out though, that it is not entirely linear, unlike Umineko.

idalarian

I'm looking through my list of VNs on vndb and many of my top voted ones, Clannad, Little Busters, Baldr Sky, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Oretsuba, etc say >50 hours.
There are long games that have bad pacing, like your Umineko for example, or Muv Luv Alternative as another. But there are many that are fine in my opinion too.

Ultimately though, in the case of Root Double, I simply don't remember enough to say for certain one way or the other. I should point out though, that it is not entirely linear, unlike Umineko.

From what I've heard Root Double had bad pacing in the final route (D), but it was fixed to an extent in the Extend version.

But come on man, even if Umineko was divied into 8 books of 10-15 hours each, it was still a rollercoaster starting from Ep 3. I'll be the first to admit that Umineko had a lot of very long scenes, particularly in Ep 5 (it was rumored that it was due to the death of the editor at 7th expansion). But even then, the story after 5 had a great pacing.

The only VN that I had grips with the pacing was Ever17 (I do not recommend to marathon this game lol), Muv-Luv series (Oh gosh...), Fate/stay Night, Rewrite (common route to long and the side routes inconsequentials), to name a few.

So yeah, the Root Double we'll be getting will have great pacing since it's the best version we'll get.

Jazz573

Game looks cool, but yeah, will definitely be in if there's a Vita port added.

They're not going to do it for the Kickstarter, because they don't want to get into the situation they got in with the Grisaia Vita ports.

The only VN that I had grips with the pacing was Ever17 (I do not recommend to marathon this game lol), Muv-Luv series (Oh gosh...), Fate/stay Night, Rewrite (common route to long and the side routes inconsequentials), to name a few.

I must be crazy because I had zero trouble marathoning Ever17 and loved every minute. Same with F/SN. Didn't find either dragged out at all.

blacksark

I'm sad because now that I'm truly interested in a sekai kickstarter it turns out that this is not going to be funded(I was also interested in clannad but had no money for it), because it's going extremely slow and my numbers don't match for it getting funded. Hope they manage to do something to increase people's interest.

I'm sad because now that I'm truly interested in a sekai kickstarter it turns out that this is not going to be funded(I was also interested in clannad but had no money for it), because it's going extremely slow and my numbers don't match for it getting funded. Hope they manage to do something to increase people's interest.

...there are 28 days to go, and it's only been going for two days. Any mathematician worth their salt would tell you that's not enough data to draw any conclusions from. Just give it some time before you go all doom and gloom, especially since proclaiming "It's not going to be funded, what a waste" is not exactly a great way to convince people to contribute.

Sakura

It'll be difficult, but it's still possible.

It's kind of hard for stuff like this though, because it doesn't already have an anime or unofficially translated version, like Clannad Muv-Luv etc so there isn't much awareness and people don't know they want it.

From what I've heard Root Double had bad pacing in the final route (D), but it was fixed to an extent in the Extend version.

I was reading the kickstarter page, and it's amazing how much of the game I've forgotten even though it's been only a couple years.
But now that I recall, the pacing does get kind of bad at the end. That being said, I haven't played the Extend Version, only the original. I'd love to read it for the changes, because as you said it is supposed to address that sort of stuff (and also adds new material).

blacksark

...there are 28 days to go, and it's only been going for two days. Any mathematician worth their salt would tell you that's not enough data to draw any conclusions from. Just give it some time before you go all doom and gloom, especially since proclaiming "It's not going to be funded, what a waste" is not exactly a great way to convince people to contribute.

Didn't mean to sound like that, but considering that in the last days it can make 30K, it would still have to make 75K and that's a lot, I want people to back for it as I've done but as Sakura has said it's going to be very difficult,moreover the rewards are not very well selected(as it was with muv luv).
But of course I hope that turns change and people start to pledge for it like there was no tomorrow, but I see it very difficult although the opinions I've read from here and other places are incredibly high.

Shizuka

I'm sure it'll make it, but just barely. I've never seen Sekai Project struggle so hard than when they launched Narcissu's Kickstarter.

blacksark

I'm sure it'll make it, but just barely. I've never seen Sekai Project struggle so hard than when they launched Narcissu's Kickstarter.

What happened in the Narcissu kickstarter? Give me reasons to believe hahaha.
Not to tell that the stretch goals are extremely difficult to meet.
EDIT: also I'm the only one that sees the march release too soon? Wouldn't that mean that they almost have everything done/translated?

Shizuka

What happened in the Narcissu kickstarter? Give me reasons to believe hahaha.
Not to tell that the stretch goals are extremely difficult to meet.
EDIT: also I'm the only one that sees the march release too soon? Wouldn't that mean that they almost have everything done/translated?

They were struggling to meet the base goal and started pulling every trick from the bag to make it work: several social media callouts, giving non-updates to their old Kickstarters just for plugging Narcissu KS, asking other companies to make callouts for Narcissu on their Kickstaters as well, etc.

blacksark

They were struggling to meet the base goal and started pulling every trick from the bag to make it work: several social media callouts, giving non-updates to their old Kickstarters just for plugging Narcissu KS, asking other companies to make callouts for Narcissu on their Kickstaters as well, etc.

Let's hope they do the same thing here then, the problem is that this has a base goal much higher than Narcissu.Fingers crossed because I love VN but this genre are my favorite.

Shizuka

Let's hope they do the same thing here then, the problem is that this has a base goal much higher than Narcissu.Fingers crossed because I love VN but this genre are my favorite.

But Narcissu struggled because half of what the Kickstarter was offering was already available as free games on Steam. I think it's too soon to tell if this one will struggle, honestly.

Rektash

Might back this for a couple hundred bucks but I will wait until it is more apparent if the kickstarter will reach its funding goal.

Thread subbed.

Shizuka

"When the campaign hits the initial goal on Kickstarter, we will have PayPal support added."

Plebs like me gotto wait it seems :D.

Oh, I didn't know you'd use PayPal. At least it's a smart move, only take money from PayPal when it makes the base goal.

But Narcissu struggled because half of what the Kickstarter was offering was already available as free games on Steam. I think it's too soon to tell if this one will struggle, honestly.

This one is actually getting a decent number of backers, it's just that since the tiers are so poor the average pledge isn't very high. They turned Narcissu around when they started giving more out with their tiers, and there's plenty of room to do that here. Honestly Sekai project has done a pretty shitty job promoting Root Double, they barely even tweet about it.

Unless SP comes up with the funding to release it anyway. Lemnisca can't release it as a fan patch unless they want to get sued.

Well that sucks :(

What's the legal status on other projects Lemnisca were working on, by the way? 12Riven was very close to completion IIRC.

Jazz573

Well that sucks :(

What's the legal status on other projects Lemnisca were working on, by the way? 12Riven was very close to completion IIRC.

I still don't understand why they had to take down the Never7 and Remember11 TLs. I/O makes sense because it's Regista. So, I guess the others are just because of Nakazawa's involvement, seeing as Regista has nothing to do with those (5pb owns them)?

I still don't understand why they had to take down the Never7 and Remember11 TLs. I/O makes sense because it's Regista. So, I guess the others are just because of Nakazawa's involvement, seeing as Regista has nothing to do with those (5pb owns them)?

They took all of their patches down because they went legit and companies don't want to work with people hosting fan translation patches on their website. None of it was specific to who published what games.

Jazz573

They took all of their patches down because they went legit and companies don't want to work with people hosting fan translation patches on their website. None of it was specific to who published what games.

Ixrec is involved in Muv-Luv's official release and didn't take down any of his TLs.

Regardless, it shouldn't be too hard to find the patches floating around out there.

blacksark

They've told me that they're working on spreading the word and try to upgrade the kickstarter although it's difficult as it doesn't have a blockbuster anime.

This game looks really interesting, despite the really obvious pandering going on in the B route (and what's with Kotono's outfit, she's supposedly shy and quiet, not some cosplayer/magical girl.)

The pledge tiers are way too expensive though in my opinion, and don't offer any bonus incentive for pledging now vs waiting.

I do hope this gets funded but I have the feeling that even if it doesn't, the company will release the game anyway, seeing as how it's supposedly very close to being ready to release. Feels more like they're fishing for preorders than a real kickstarter

Shizuka

If they manage to get in contact with Regista, license the Vita port and include it as the first stretch goal, I'm sure it should work for them.

Shizuka

They won't. They don't want to get into the same issues they did with Grisaia.

Except it's completely different. They're porting all the Vita games they've promised so far, as with this one, Regista has a Vita port done, just waiting for programming (adding the localized script) and that's it.

Except it's completely different. They're porting all the Vita games they've promised so far, as with this one, Regista has a Vita port done, just waiting for programming (adding the localized script) and that's it.

The porting wasn't the problem with any of their Vita plans. But yeah, if they've actually gotten through all of the paperwork that's supposedly been holding them back, I don't see why they don't add this to their list of Vita projects. This would be the perfect game for the Vita audience.

Shizuka

The Vita has the Danganronpa series, the Steins;Gate series, the Zero Escape series, the Muv-Luv series. It makes too much sense for this to hit the platform.

Just pledged $99. Honestly I wasn't interested until I read the credits and saw the past works of the staff members. Infinity series? Sign me up blind.

I think it'd helped if they advertised that part more because the art didn't draw me in.

Edit: damn. more than $100k away until it reaches its goal =(

Aku-Audi

The porting wasn't the problem with any of their Vita plans. But yeah, if they've actually gotten through all of the paperwork that's supposedly been holding them back, I don't see why they don't add this to their list of Vita projects. This would be the perfect game for the Vita audience.

I'll answer more questions in here later and happy to see all the support so far (thanks everyone!) but I'm a bit busy right now getting stuff ready for this weekend with RD so it'll have to wait.

Let me just address the Vita thing.

If it makes sense to any of you that this game would be on the Vita for the Western market, then it made sense to us as well. When it makes sense to us, SP make a strong case to the parties in charge that this is a profitable and solid addition to the campaign. Now regardless if I go to such people and say Basileus says it makes sense so you have no choice but to agree now, there might be people higher up on the other side of that table saying "actually, I don't like the sound of this, we aren't interested in that market. please understand and move on"

Now I cannot say to any of you what anyone involved with RD has said, but that scenario might be a prreeeeetty accurate potrayal of some sort of events recently in my life. You never know.

Also paperwork is mostly taken care of and we are working on dev builds to get them running on the platform and explore some additional things... But anyway, that's what I can say for now.

- Audi from SP

Top Bottom