• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPG Maker Games: Underlooked Gems

zeelman

I just finished Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea the other day. Its a Story-focused RPG by Mogeko. Its fairly light-hearted for the most part, but there's a few sections near the end that may creep people out a bit. There's several very emotional parts as well, especially the ending. The game does a really good job of making you care about the characters. It took me about 8 hours to complete it.

The translator warns that there is a scene with implied sexual assault later in the game. The scene in question is PG-13, nothing is actually shown. There's some sound effects and text that may imply it, but its hard to know for sure what exactly is going on. I think the bloody imagery used later on is a bit worse. The game doesn't turn into a horror game or anything like that, though.

b9SE2v8.png

hYwmmEq.gif

Also just finished Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea. Surprisingly long game, taking me somewhere in the region of 8-9 hours.

Enjoyed it a fair bit overall, although not to the same extent as the RPGM horror trinity I played last year. Very charming game with a well-constructed setting and some really appealing character designs. The story was interesting enough that I wanted to keep playing to see how things developed (hell, I went through the entire game practically in one sitting), although if I'm honest I wasn't hugely invested in it as I didn't care much for the lead pairing.

Main gripe would be the combat side of things. I know the game's primarily meant to be story driven and the battles are basically a sideshow, but when the creator's clearly put a fair amount of effort into some aspects of the fighting (e.g. skill graphics, boss cut-ins), it seems a shame that it's all undermined by the combat being completely broken. The stats are the main culprit, with enemies being laughably weak and bosses being lucky to last more than a round or two. Add in the fact that all enemies are limited to either basic attacks or doing nothing and it really makes you wonder whether Mogeko just gave up on it during development.

Me being me, I enjoyed the late game shift into nightmare territory. Most memorable part was probably Bad Ending 2, mainly because I have a fondness for that kind of stuff, but also because
Fukami
was my favourite of the party.

Beckx

Been subscribed to this thread for a long time, but now finally have a question:

My kids have been playing around with RPG maker and it's definitely got them interested in playing more RPGs. Can anyone recommend an RPG Maker game with content appropriate for children? Like PG or below stuff.

Malyse

Been subscribed to this thread for a long time, but now finally have a question:

My kids have been playing around with RPG maker and it's definitely got them interested in playing more RPGs. Can anyone recommend an RPG Maker game with content appropriate for children? Like PG or below stuff.

Instead of that, why not go with some of the old Final Fantasy's and Pokemon?

Bumping because I just played through Misao. Was pretty good. Saw some clear Corpse Party influence in there.

Moving onto the Strange Men series. Hope it's good.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Way back when, like...I think 2005 or so, I played this pretty great (in my memory) RPG Maker Game that was pretty much a homage to Suikoden? I remember it had recruitment, duels, tactical battles, etc.

Anyone remember this? The only other thing I remember is one cutscene had a goofy MSPaint image of two twins in a womb.

hoggert

Way back when, like...I think 2005 or so, I played this pretty great (in my memory) RPG Maker Game that was pretty much a homage to Suikoden? I remember it had recruitment, duels, tactical battles, etc.

Anyone remember this? The only other thing I remember is one cutscene had a goofy MSPaint image of two twins in a womb.
Exit Fate? Had twins, goofy art, etc. but probably not what you're looking for as it came out around 2008-10.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Thores

The Legion Saga trilogy was a Suikoden homage, and a pretty well done one, but I definitely don't remember no twin babies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Legion Saga trilogy was a Suikoden homage, and a pretty well done one, but I definitely don't remember no twin babies.

Yes! I'm pretty sure that's exactly it! Thanks man, after I beat Suikoden II maybe I'll re-play it to feel the gap.

Maybe I'm misremembering that part though...I just recall there was one scene where there was some weird lore-building "flashback" with an MSPaint drawing of something about twins.

Skyborn is really damn good. Picked it up during a Steam sale and haven't regretted it one bit. Played on hard, it offers really awesome tactical combat, and it has a pretty good story and artistic direction.
For people currently looking for a cheap option right now it is part of the Indie Royale Mystery 3 Bundle (though at this time there isn't a lot of mystery left) sitting at $1.74:
http://www.indieroyale.com/?royale=203
Be quick as there are a only couple of days to go (plus the price will go up again once the last 2 games are revealed).

Sölf

Since this thread is already up, back in 2007, this was created:

It might be a bit laggy (I had no problems unless I recorded the game), but I really enjoyed the game. It even had quite an interesting story with a neat twist in the end. The difficulty is also not that high, so it is also suited for beginners (if you have played any of the Touhou Games, the hard difficulty hear probably equals to around easy in Touhou).

It can be downloaded on the official homepage.

Finished The Crooked Man. Even if the exploration was kind of tedious and the few puzzles were pretty basic, I liked it.

Way heavier than I was expecting. I do love how well some people manage to tell surprisingly poignant stories with such basic graphics, even in horror games.

Will give the rest of Uri's game a try after this.

Top Bottom