• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP - Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
wait..is the game actually good or are you guys joking around?
No, it is actually good.

I mean, it is definitely meant to be funny and satirical. But I actually ended up caring about the story, plus all the things mentioned above.

gfs_99331_2_10.jpg

barkley-shut-up-and-jam-gaiden-battle.jpg

Barkley-Shut-Up-and-Jam-Gaiden-Screenshot-3.jpg

Its actually really good. I just wonder how theyre going to refrence most of chapter 1 without naming actual names and stuff lol. I know they mentioned in the kickstarter theu were going to do it only as they are allowed to do and talked with a lawyer on how much they could get away with. I hope we find out what happened to Hoopz.

The Truck Pump rants were so stupid, but I can't help but like them.

I feel like you could use this descriptor for literally every part of the characters, plot and dialogue lol.

The huge dissonance in the presentation and the actual quality lying underneath is what makes Barkley feel so unique. You go through the goofy-ass intro that goes out of its way to be as hackneyed and melodramatic as possible, then within the first hour Charles is established as a genuinely interesting protagonist that you can't help but root for. The battles are almost always against horrible sprite rips or MSPaint monstrosities in a send-up of most fan-made RPG Maker games, then after the first battle you quickly realize that HOLY SHIT THIS BATTLE SYSTEM IS REALLY WELL THOUGHT OUT AND FUN.

You definitely need to have your tongue firmly in cheek and an open mind to appreciate what Barkley is, but man, if you get it, it's legitimately one of the most enjoyable RPGs of the past decade. I really wish that kickstarter for the sequel didn't end up being vaporware. Waiting from May to September for an update on a project that launched its crowdfund four years ago only to get an advertisement for another game and the announcement of dynamic menu borders doesn't instill a lot of hope. Ah well, at least we'll always have the original.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just the company name "Tales of Game's" is funnier than half the humour found in other funny games. There's such deep understanding there of the tight relation between people's tendency to miss-spell things, and the weirdly named Japanese games we loved playing. Who can forget things like Triology, Rouge Squadron, CAPCPOM, and the various uses of the word Calibur.

Mupod

It has a cool battle system and great writing. There's only two games in existence that ever made me laugh so hard that I couldn't breathe, and this is one of them (the other was monkey island 1 but I was like 8 or 9 years old). It's also free!

L Thammy

Barkley's gameplay is definitely good; it's somewhere between Final Fantasy VI and Paper Mario. Nothing more to say about that.

The way that I understand is that the game is a parody of RPG Maker games. So, you can imagine that this game is authored by a very particular kind of nerd. He appreciates good writing to the point of being a little pretentious, he's still stuck in the '90s, he's lazy, and he's oblivious to how other people might see him.

So what you end up with is a game that's well-written at any given moment, although with basketball in the style of Final Fantasy VI as the primary subject matter and no acknowledgement that this is incredibly silly. While the main plot makes sense, the game is constantly introducing new game features or side stories which don't lead anywhere, as if the creator of the game lost interest partway through.

Of course, you don't have to look at it from such a meta perspective. The relationship between the characters and the world have the same effect. The world and the events are all very silly, but the characters participating in them are totally serious about it and have no outside awareness. The characters tend to act the exact same way in both the comedic and dramatic moments because there isn't a difference to them.

Was it a shooter? I thought it was supposed to shift from a JRPG homage/parody to a WRPG homage/parody, with action-based combat. But I haven't been following that closely.

I'm hoping that we have the opportunity to control it Smash TV style or something like that though. I have a deep-rooted hatred of the mouse.

When I went to GDC a couple of years ago, I was easily able to play it with a 360 controller.

Top Bottom