• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP/Challenge: Fallout 4: Lack of Perception, V.A.T.S a problem...

SCB3

So with a bit of a lull in new releases now for me until Zelda Tears of the Kingdom comes out (and I still am putting off the damned DLC for BotW) I figured now would be a good time to dive into a classic with a new twist: Survival Mode

So What is Survival Mode?

Well simply put, its ultra Hard Fallout, where you have to be super careful and deliberate in what you do, from the Fallout Wiki https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Survival_mode :

In Survival mode, autosave and manually saving from the menu are disabled. The only way to save the game is to sleep in a bed, on a mattress or in a sleeping bag. The exit save function is still available but it is a temporary save that is deleted automatically upon loading. Additionally, the use of console commands is disabled.

Great, a challenge for me as I usually do play these on Hard, well aside from Skyrim which I will one day tackle, never got more than 10 hours in, my most restarted game, fuck I just bought the Anniversary DLC on Steam Deck to try and played the first hour to try that.

I am playing this on Steam Deck and dipping in and out of it whilst playing other games, the plan is to do all Named Quests and maybe some collectables, I kinda wanna doo all Steam Achievements, but we'll see. So how to tackle this, well my build is gonna be a Long Range VATS build, that allows me to keep safe and plan ahead, however this has already hit a snag, less than an hour into the game. I got to the Boston Museum fine, Raiders hit hard but I can be stealthy and get them all, plus use Dogmeat to attack and distract, thats worked out well, well until the part I'm stuck on now....

You see there is Power Armor on the Roof alongside a Turret that you can use, great! Shread's Raiders attacking, until the fucking Deathclaw arrives, this motherfucker is so smart it will not come anywhere near me (and I waited on this roof for nearly 20 mins for it last time) and I do have well over 500 Bullets, plenty to kill it, but the issue is, it can one hit kill me and it is fucking fast, my save is outside for the Musuem section as well so at least 20 mins earlier, its true pain

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Dont play Survival Mode without mods specifically fast travel mode and save anywhere in survival mode mod. Why? It's a Bethesda game. Walking on foot back and forth in their map will drive even the most patient man in the world insane. There is some lore friendly fast travel mod where you can only fast travel to locations you own for example. Also why save anywhere mod in Survival Mode? Because you'll die from bugs, unbalanced enemies and you'll lose even 10+hours of that shit.

Thats my advice. Survival mode in itself is not hard or challenging but considering the amount of issues youll encounter that were never fixed you're just wasting time without said mods.

As for VATS, compared to Fallout 3 I never used it since the games shooting mechanics and animations are fantastic.

Last edited:

SCB3

Dont play Survival Mode without mods specifically fast travel mode and save anywhere in survival mode mod. Why? It's a Bethesda game. Walking on foot back and forth in their map will drive even the most patient man in the world insane. There is some lore friendly fast travel mod where you can only fast travel to locations you own for example. Also why save anywhere mod in Survival Mode? Because you'll die from bugs, unbalanced enemies and you'll lose even 10+hours of that shit.

Thats my advice. Survival mode in itself is not hard or challenging but considering the amount of issues youll encounter that were never fixed you're just wasting time without said mods.

As for VATS, compared to Fallout 3 I never used it since the games shooting mechanics and animations are fantastic.

I wanted to do VATS for this run as I barely used it in Prior runs or Fallout 3/NV, so its gonna be a more interesting run, as for the Mods, yea I think I will, it being Bethedsa its always a good idea

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I wanted to do VATS for this run as I barely used it in Prior runs or Fallout 3/NV, so its gonna be a more interesting run, as for the Mods, yea I think I will, it being Bethedsa its always a good idea
Do note that they disable achievements afair and you're prolly going to need a mod for that as well. Or you can just go pure vanilla no mods if you really love the game or if you feel like you're "cheating". If you played it before I see no reasons not to use mods. First time was on Hard then second time I only managed half way in on Survival til I just had to drop it because it was getting tedious and unfun and third time on survival with mods and I enjoyed it.

I always go for immersive mods that do not ruin the game so heres some mods I used that will make your experience better:

Assuming ofc they still work but guess ull find out.

killatopak

Survival mode is amazing. Really enjoyed it. I only dropped mine be because there’s one quest that was bugged and I was a completionist so it kinda made me stop.

Eh, I dunno about using fast travel mods or saving anywhere. There are legit ways to fast travel in survival and some of them makes the faction you choose all the more important. There’s also tension in not being able to save before an encounter you know you have a chance to lose.

But it’s whatever. Your game, your choice.

Top Bottom