• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Hulk (2003)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

Hulk_movie.jpg

This movie is so fucking bizarre. I love it.

I could only imagine the reaction to Ang Lee's take on the character when this launched in theaters. I was only nine years old at the time, so I was able to completely space out whenever Hulk wasn't around, meaning I wasn't put off by the lack of smashing and abundance of talking that caused this film to nearly bomb.

It's only now, at age 23, where I pay attention to dialogue, performances, imagery, etc. and can notice not only how insane this movie was, but how ambitious it was as well.

Similar to what NeoGAF's beloved auteur, Zack Snyder, would do many years following Hulk, Ang Lee refrained from following the blockbuster action format, instead creating a slower paced and intensely violent film that wasn't afraid to take its time or get all metaphorical.

I found the main focal point of the movie, the twisted relationship between Bruce Banner and his father, to be incredibly compelling, mostly thanks to Nick Nolte's superbly psychotic performance as David Banner, who I believe to be the single most underrated antagonist in the genre.

I mentioned earlier how bizarre this was, and I think that element is most apparent in two of the films biggest action scenes.

The first being Hulk fight against three dogs. Can you imagine how that must have read on paper? The concept is ridiculous, yet Lee plays it straight, crafting an absolutely brutal encounter, including a scene where Hulk PUNCHES A DOG DIRECTLY IN THE NUTS. Hulk also kills a dog by flexing his traps. I think that's amazing.

The second "fight" scene, would be the final confrontation between father and son

Just look at it! It's fucking weird man!

The movie has got flaws, for sure. Bana is a bit plain (though he delivers when it's time to get visibly perturbed), the pacing does feel too slow at times, and the "comic panel" editing doesn't work at all.

The CG hasn't aged too well either, though I will say Bruce's first transformation scene, in the lab, looked great, and is one of my favorite scenes in the film

But even with those problems, I find myself in awe of just how unique a film this is.

I really get why this didn't strike a chord with general audiences, and I realize that my enjoyment of this film is based primarily off my absurd tastes, but I can't help be a bit saddened when experimentation is punished with failure (in terms of box office numbers).

I love this movie, and I love that it exists in this crazy form.

Any other Hulk sympathizers in here?

Anyone?

Side-note: I found 2008's Hulk to be just as enjoyable, though it is a much more straightforward movie. It has the best final boss fight in the MCU, but that's a different thread entirely...

Prolly my favorite non Spidey/xmen marvel movie. Ruffalo has done a good job but Bana is the GOAT Bruce for me. Tragic character

Nick Nolte and him were great in their scenes together. Man Nolte looked like a homeless nut lmao

Eric Bana was a boring Banner. Connelly pretty much phoned the whole thing in.

Those two were probably the worst thing in the film for me.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bana is still the best Banner. Also probably top 5 marvel movies. Better thanything in McU.

watershed

Banned
Two thirds of the movie is a legitimately compelling drama with some supernatural elements but once Hulk begins his rampage on San Fran the movie shifts into a poorly executed monster flick and the final fight between him and his dad was a dark cg mess of emotionally empty action. I still like the movie quite a bit and I find it a very daring take on Hulk but it falls short in a lot of ways.

Matty77

The only thing I have ever found bizarre are the amount of fans of the movie who think Ang Lee was responsible for all the psychological/father material when that credit belongs to Peter David and other comic writers. The only thing that was original to the film was making his father the absorbing man which was hands down the worst part of the film.

I'll always give them credit for trying to make something deeper than Hulk Smash and for actually using comic material versus popular interpretations and perception of the character, but the end result still put me to sleep in a theater literally.

I remember liking it when I saw it back in the day. Apart from the jarring cgi, I liked the visual style, but I haven't seen the movie since the cinema run so I have a hard time defending what I liked about it today.

Faustek

Ooh, I loved the comics but boy did I hate this movie. Apparently I can tolerate and love this "drama" when it was presented to me in Comic form but a movie? Fuck no, boy was it a snooze fest and not even remotely Hulk enough.

I don't get the love people have for the man portraying the Hulk. I don't want that, I don't need that. What I need is World War Hulk. Stomping everyone and everything and to stop being a wimp and jump back up Mount Olympus and not wuss out and fucking smash Zeus hoity toity face into last week's chimichanga waste. Heck even mob boss Joe Fixit would be better than what we get today in the movies.

BTW is it still Amadeus Cho as the Hulk or is Banner Hulk back yet?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i like how mental Banas transformations are. Really works with the monster element feel. Final part i didnt like when i first saw it because i couldnt see a fucking thing it was so dark at the theater.

black_13

Banned
I really liked this despite the bad reviews. I thought it was better than the 2008 Hulk movie as well.

I thought Ang Lee did a decent job with trying to make a compelling backstory and add character to Banner as opposed to now where he's just a side character.

I like it, some parts aged terribly (the CGI dogs), but the focus on the relationship between Bruce Banner and his father was enthralling.

Nick Nolte is fucking crazy in this movie. He literally chews the scenery.

Nudull

Banned
Thank god for the MCU, because this movie hasn't aged well at all. A shame too, because I used to love it, but now it just feels too funky.

Bishop89

i thought it was pretty cool.

The ending fight scene I wasn't really a fan of though

HulkMovie1BustMirror22f460x260.gif

rCrKiIs.gif

5262588-7565708176-giphy.gif

5303248-gx0eer.gif

How come we haven't gotten a standalone hulk movie since the 08 one?

the 08 one was garbage

EYEL1NER

I worked at a movie theater at the time, so I heard Velvet Revolver's "Set Me Free" (ending credits song) a ton of times while cleaning theaters. I also love Jennifer Connely, even when she is giving an average or poor performance, and she was in this movie. Those are pretty much the only two positive things I can think of to say about the 2003 Hulk at this time.

Best incarnation of the Hulk on screen tbh. Bana Hulk would just get pissed enough until he ripped Thanos in half.
How come we haven't gotten a standalone hulk movie since the 08 one?
I think Universal still has distribution rights to solo Hulk flicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom