• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Is this last gen?

TheMoon

Shattered Memories was indeed an amazing game, which did much more impressive, innovative and promising things in terms of video game narrative than, say, Heavy Rain. But their director wasn't a media queen, so...

I remember saying pretty much the same thing after playing it. Especially since both games came out at the same time.

Sorry for necro-posting. But I don't have the ability to start my own thread yet. I hope you can understand and don't penalise me for it.

Anyhoo. Spoilers.

I love this game. It is literally my favourite game of all time. I remember when Swine Flu was a big thing in the UK, I was one of the unlucky sods who got it. I was laid up in a hospital bed in the back end of a newly built hospital that had no television or entertainment. My mum brought me my PSP in and she brought me this game.

Ironically I bought this game as a present for my brother. I felt really bad for playing it when I bought it as a Christmas gift but it was bought pre-owned and I had hoped he would never know. I popped this bad boy in and the graphics just amazed me for PSP. This was a very impressive game and the snow always made me think of Christmas. In fact, the only thing that would have made the game more tragic, is
if Harry had that car accident and died in December after going Christmas shopping at the mall you visit later in the game. That would have been heart wrenching.

The psychologist got me every time. The Dr was a great character and coming back to him, really broke up the game play from intense runs and moments where you needed to recover a little bit - and call me really gullible, maybe I wasn't taking as much notice as I could have because of all the drugs and sleeping but I never caught on that
Harry was dead until that fateful meeting with Cybil when he washed up on the shore.
I remember my heart stopping when he burst into the psychologists room at the end and I cried
watching Harry re-united with Cheryl. I got a good ending where Cheryl was suffering because she never got to say goodbye and it killed me inside watching Harry turn to ice.

This is truly an amazing game and with so many unique features. I enjoyed how the game watched everything that you did and tailored the game to your own personal experience. From the way the characters dress and behave to the way that they talk and react, every nuance of the character development had been really well thought out and it played out very nicely. For as much as I had to adapt to a non-aggressive combat system, I did very much enjoy the game play and exploration. Combing through every room and corridor for a clue or comment from Harry was thrilling, you very much felt as though you moved with him.

The sound design from Akira Yamaoka was some of his strongest since Silent Hill 2. The sound track for this game is perfect and the haunting cover of Elvis Presley's 'Always on my Mind' sticks with me even now. Just exploring the city with the ambient tunes really made me feel like I was exploring this sizeable mid-western town, almost like I knew it because I had been there and you also felt how a local citizen would in the sense that you knew how the town looked with it's hustle and bustle during it's busiest populated towns and you also got the sensation of how eerie it was when the local citizens weren't around and it really felt like a ghost town.

I really do love this game. From beginning to end it had me gripped and I can always pick it up and play it again. If you have never played it, I sincerely wish that you pick it up and give it a go. I'm still fuming that the PSP releases won't work on Vita.

i never quite understood why necro bumping is viewed as a bad practice, as long as there's something relevant to say about the topic, then i think is reasonable to bring it back.

Is far better than doing yet another late to the party where people repeat for the thousand time the same things that had been said before about an specific game.

Funny enough i instantly remember this thread, just in the previous page to this one there are some post of mine with a diffrent set of observations about Shattered Memories. i still think the Wii version is the most interesting to play and the one people should make the effort to experience.

Basically i see it as a Silent Hill Traditional Adventure game and it was sets it apart from the rest of the series. Glad this game exists.

Jharp

I picked up Shattered Memories used years ago to play on my Wii U and still need to get around to it. I always thought it looked rad.

Also, Downpour is fucking awesome and the hate it gets is silly. If that game had been made by Team Silent, it'd have been well-liked. People got turned off by the admittedly silly Korn trailer, and the fact that it was made by Eastern Europeans. The only problem with it was the silly otherworld funhouse segments. That game had the guts to deal with some REAL fucked up themes, like child molestation, and how a parents reacts to their child being hurt. It actually depicted grey morality better than any inflated-budget BioWare game, and I think better than past Silent Hill games too.

Origins also wasn't terrible, and had a lot of good in it. I wish it hadn't gone with the weird mirror otherworld stuff, because as a million people have pointed out, controlling when you go in and out of the otherworld totally misses the entire point of the otherworld. but it's moment to moment gameplay was good and fun, and it's story was good.

Silent Hill 4 is dogshit. Team Silent really fucked that one up. I ain't even mad at the unrelated story. It's just a shit fucking game through and through.

Don't have a Wii, how's the PS2 version?
Better than the PSP version for certain.

The thing is, what made the game stand out even more was how well implemented the Wii Remote is. i think i posted about some of these features in this thread. But stuff like the Wii Remote emulating Harry's Cell Phone, using the control as a flahlight and for more interesting interactions in the puzzle sequences enhanced it's flavor.

Wii also has better frame rate and effects, specially the ice.

chemspida

Banned
Better than the PSP version for certain.

The thing is, what made the game stand out even more was how well implemented the Wii Remote is. i think i posted about some of these features in this thread. But stuff like the Wii Remote emulating Harry's Cell Phone, using the control as a flahlight and for more interesting interactions in the puzzle sequences enhanced it's flavor.

Wii also has better frame rate and effects, specially the ice.
I might try using a PS4 controller on Dolphin then but I don't think you can use the speaker on it.

Gitaroo

Wii version is the best, psp version were using pre recorded vidros from wii real time scene irc. Thats why theres a huge drop in quality in gameplay. Wish they have ported to ps3 with move control.

Wish they have ported to ps3 with move control.

IKIFEEL.jpg

My god I know just how you feel.

gfxtwin

Couldn't get through it. They botched the nightmare world parts. It was just the same ol' Silent Hill but covered in ice. Had none of the disturbing, unsettling, viscerally scary environment and creature design that helped make Silent Hill as good as it is. Some of the best gameplay in the series though.

Gitaroo

IKIFEEL.jpg

My god I know just how you feel.

There was a few games that I wish was ported over to move, shattered memory is definitely one of them, ghost squad is another and the og xbox gunvalkyrie. GunValkyrie was originally designed for a light gun setup for dc which is why it control weird on xbox.Can still happen I guess since psvr brought move controllers back, aim controller make things better. Come on namco, give us time crisis collection.

mantidor

Couldn't get through it. They botched the nightmare world parts. It was just the same ol' Silent Hill but covered in ice. Had none of the disturbing, unsettling, viscerally scary environment and creature design that helped make Silent Hill as good as it is. Some of the best gameplay in the series though.

I don't know, maybe it does not measure up but there were certainly disturbing parts.

It's actually more "real life" disturbing parts, there are no creepy no-face nurses, but when you start to piece together the flashbacks and all the messed up things that happened it reaches another level of disturbing.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I just checkout some gameplay, looks great, the gameplay I saw looked 60fps which would be an amazing accomplishment on the Wii.

It looks similar to alan wake which I loved and apart from the voice acting being a bit lower budget, it looks like a great game.

nkarafo

Snow Particle system does work on dolphin now. You need to disable a speed up option cant remember exactly. But it works and looks awesome.

MizzyLone

When i first played this on my PSP, i was blown away by how great the game visually looked. Probably the only Silent hill game I've finished and enjoyed.

At first i thought this was a running simulator and felt that it was lame. But it really grew on me and i want to play it again!

yamaneko

I played it on PSP and didn't like it

Just Run from point A to B not is Silent Hill

Silent Hill for me is about Fight and Survive

Silent Hill Origins is far better SH game

Top Bottom