• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

I'm so indifferent to all of the regional early route pokemon here, even if Staraptor is actually good I just never dug its design.

Kricketot actually has a real neat design now I look at it more closely, shame abut Kricketune, though I never noticed the violin connection until it was mentioned here, still not enough to save it from looking too messy in my eyes.
I wonder when I'll see the next Sinnoh mon I genuinely like (heads up: I don't care for the Shinx and Buizel lines either).

edit: I spoiled myself, not far at all actually due to the odd ordering of the dex.

tumblr_n8a004YnPl1smmou4o1_400.gif

Mr-Joker

Banned
I actually caught a Kricketune to use as a cut and rock smash hm reserve...it was awesome.

I was always an Escavalier man myself (for gen 5 anyway)
Man, Unova was like bug paradise.

Yeah Unova was where bugs type began to shine...then Kalos was like nope and not only introduce a weak bug type but also brought in Fairy type who resist bugs for some reason.

Really bugs me how they did that.

clemenx

Banned
Yeah. Kricketurne is pretty cool and being remembered for dat cry has its merits.

I think he's a good candidate for a Mega.

clemenx

Banned
Dunno. Just to look super cool is enough for me lol. While I like playing competitive I don't expect every single monster to be super viable.

I just really like his design.

One of those Bug-type Pokémon that Gamefreak went out of their way to make terrible. Maybe it should have gotten Boomburst or something...

Zyrox

I actually caught a Kricketot on my first run through Diamond. Evolving that was the first time I encountered Kricketune. Needles to say, I was amazed by the DELELELELE WHOOOOOP. Best cry.

Re: Staraptor: Man, what a trooper that bird is. GF finally had mercy in Sinnoh and gave us a worthwhile early bird. And how worthwhile it was. Brave Bird, Return, and Close mofugging Combat. Stayed amazing throughout the whole story and could even pull its weight in comp battling. All around great Pokémon.

And this leaves me with Bibrael. I really like this goofy thing. Normal/Water is a unique typing and fitting perfectly for a beaver. He was an A tier HM slave. Getting STAB on the Water HM's and the Normal ones made him somewhat useable in battle as well.

So all in all, to me Gen IV started off really strong with awesome starters and awesome early route Pokémon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Say, did people bring up the stupidity of Cubone's "gimmick" in its design theme waaaay back then?

Wichu

Damnit, I missed the Bidoof post.

Oh well.

When gen 5 was new, I made an alt on Pokemon-Online called "Bidoof Master" with a team of six Bidoof. I won quite a few games, even with Species Clause meaning I only had one Bidoof in most battles.

Moody got banhammered shortly after, but I will always remember the days of soloing fools with Bidoof :)

Hollycat

I've been watching the Pokemon anime for the first time in years, and does anyone else almost feel like Ash and Co let Team Rocket capture their pokemon over and over out of pity? They almost always win easily, and sometimes it seems like they totally act dumb on purpose just so they can keep thinking theyve won for a few more minutes.

I mean, they've all seen seen TR do some genuinely awesome thing every now and then.
Just a dumb dumb theory I'm going to count as canon.

Xux

Starly and Staravia are kinda boring. Like, they got the design order to "do Pidgey again but more boring" and pretty much succeeded.

Staraptor is kind of a badass. Kind of a proto-Hawlucha without being too Hawlucha. I too witnessed the glory of the Infernape and Staraptor tag team.

I just wish it wasn't taupe. One of the very few Pokemon where I think the shiny coloration is way better (since they seemed to be less arbitrary by now) with a nice warm brown.

Bidoof and Bibarel are pretty okay. I had a Bibarel that was my Cutter because HMs exist. Maybe I'll type out my HM idea (which isn't exactly different from other's ideas). I like beavers, though. Anyway, I had a beaver stuffed animal way back when and it always reminded me of it :D.

Kricketot...is the only shiny Pokemon I've every seen after the Red Gyarados I can't think of a clever way to type a qualifier for. I never did anything it with since I caught a Kricketune way before I found it. It's still there in my Diamond PC waiting to be acknowledged someday.

Kricketune's a pretty great design and that cry is up there with the best. I'd love to see GF just dump stats onto these old Pokemon to get them up to not-worthless status but whatever.

Bidoof was everyone's HM slave lol. He did a good job most of the time in catching weaker wild pokemon as well since my team would be a bit too strong and rekt most wild pokemon in 1 hit lol.

I didn't care for the bug pokemon this gen very much but I was never a fan in general of Bug Types.

woopWOOP

Always loved Kricketune's cry. Put a smile on my face whenever that thing popped up as a random encounter.

Bidoof is cute, Bibarel is super dopey. Found it kind of weird how much that line was hated back then.

CassSept

I never realised how weak the line is. It's a bug type so I never intended to use it (that is, until Volcarona was my goat in White), but Kricketot is a pretty good design. Kricketune is a bit too busy, but his cry is incredibly memorable. DELELELELE WHOOOOOP

WPS

There are a lot of really forgettable Pokémon, but I think Kricketot and Kricketune have it worst, since unlike most of them they're in one of the major early game roles and thus get a lot more exposure, yet are still forgotten. I had no idea until recently that Kricketot was one of those mons with next to no moves until they evolved, since I'd just outright ignored it.

(Also thank you for this thread, Watch Da Birdie, I've been reading it all through my gaf waiting period and its been incredibly fascinating).

Boogiepop

Why are you guys posting Gen V bugs? Scizor is Gen II you crazy people.
Considering it only had 100 Pokemon (and how weak a lot of its other additions were in terms of battling ability), Gen II actually did surprisingly well by bugs, adding Scizor, Heracross, and Forretress (though poor Ledian and Yanma pre-Yanmega are...yeeeeah.)

Top Bottom