• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RttP: The Tomb Raider series

Pilgrimzero

I have been going through the Tomb Raiders and have been reflecting on them and the series as a whole.

TR1: When the original first came out I picked it up and loved it. The puzzles, the atmosphere, the badd ass female character. All awesome. Years later it still holds up. Yes the graphics and controls are ancient but that adds to the charm. And as I said this game oozes atmosphere. “I only play for sport” set such a great tone. And a grand adventure to the halls of Atlantis! And what this game does that no other game in the series (that I have played) does is make you feel isolated. A true classic.

TR2: I will never understand why so many people consider this to the “best”. Looking back it was obvious that the isolation tone was a one shot deal. Lara is running around a city. Gun men everywhere. Yes it still had tombs but the more explosive action adventure-ness of it changed everything. Lara was a star and they needed to make it more exciting. Also, worst boss fight in the series IMO. The last PS1 TR game I picked up upon release

TR3: I am currently playing it for the first time. Not a fan of the jungle setting. And I have to leap through trees, open hidden doors, and fight off crazy monkeys, how did these scientists get into the heart of it? Again this seems to be trying to one up itself for the explosive action thing and moving further away from the isolation thing. I still have a lot of the game to go so maybe I am wrong.

TR4&5: I’ve only played the intro stuff. Loved young Lara at the beginning of 4. I’ve heard these get back to being more like TR1. I believe it as at this point that the TR series was on its decline. The movie was about to come out though and would give it a boost!

TR AoD: And then the PS2 TR got kicked out the door. The momentum of the movie wasted. Not to mention a new movie on the horizon (and was nowhere near as good as the first film). But woo PS2 TR! And Lara looked great. So I picked it up ASAP back in the day. Too bad it wasn’t finished and was extremely buggy. But I finished it anyways. I don’t know what really to say except it tried to be several types of games and failed. Not to mention taking Lara even further from her roots. It’s no wonder this game killed of the franchise for a bit.

TR Legend: The soft reboot. Now Lara had a real background and friends she chatted with constantly. The game for what it was, was fun. New mechanics. Lara back in tomb raiding gear. A big adventure for a well known relic. And a secret society of bad guys. A search for a lost mother! New era and new Tomb Raider.

TR Anniversary: The TR1 remake. And it was really good. Gone where the tank controls and the old graphics. Unfortunately the “less is more” aspect wasn’t learned. More backstory and personality gets shoved into the story. Lara’s first human kill! Oh the tears! Only later would this concept be expanded upon in the hard reboot. But really, a great remake and something the series much needed. This same year Uncharted (aka Dude Raider) is released and comes to eventually out tomb raider, Tomb Raider.

TR Underworld: The wrap up of the new series. Natla is back and brought her Lara clone with her. It all wraps up and was pretty good. EXCEPT the real (and better) ending was only on 360, and still is to this day. Not much to say about this one as it’s more of the playstyle and story style of the new series. Unfortunately it again ends the adventures of Lara until a few years later in the hard reboot.

TR: You will want to protect her. Tomb Raider takes it’s lessons from the massively popular Uncharted series (though in no way is Nathan a household name like Lara) and leans heavy into the story telling and action set pieces and shies away from actual Tomb Raiding. In the previous series we had such amazing pieces of history as Excalibur, Atlantis, and Mjolnir. In this one we have a Chinese ghost demon no one’s ever heard of. Lara also has a whole cast of friends and villains to chat with as she runs around the island. And going from a girl who almost throws up when she kills a man to screaming “You bastards!” as she mows through them with an assault rifle 5 minutes later. And the tombs, well at most 2 rooms with a central puzzle. This would be fixed in the next game. Promise. Overall, I really liked the game for what it was. I liked the story more or less. Problem is this could have starred any generic lead character and it wouldn’t have changed anything. But It’s a new era. A new Lara. A new Tomb Raider for the masses.

RotTR: This one seems to split the fan base. I did not like it. The story was super generic and held no surprises. It’s hard to believe this won an award for writing. This game also claimed to have real tombs again! No it didn’t. And don’t get me started on the collect-athon stuff. About half way through I gave up on finding all the caches and boxes. My biggest gripe though is they still don’t give Lara her iconic dual pistols because Katniss Everdeen had to go make bows popular.

So that’s it. I’m still working on 3 but I’m largely not feeling it, hopefully I get out of the jungle soon. 2 was enjoyable more or less. I’m hoping 4 and 5 go better for me. I’ve often railed about the latest series and how it’s changed Lara but looking back now I see that started way back in TR2. TR1 was before all the popularity and trying to appeal to a certain market and to make things “easier” and puzzles are hard so lets add more human enemies. TR1 told a story without really having to tell a story. And that’s rare now-a-days. Today it’s all flash and no substance.

And that’s fine. It sales. Today is not like yesterday. Trends change. Just gotta take Tomb Raider for what it is now. It just needs a better writer because dang did it suck in RotTR. And dual pistols.

link1201

Having Tombs be optional is weird to me. Additionally I kind of miss being in a room for an hour then finally figuring it out. The latest tombs are spoon feed and I only played the newest one for a few days and dropped it. :(

I liked the first one immensely, they haven't been able to catch that lighting again Imo.

Wanderer5

Been a fan of the series since checking out Legend when it came out (which is going to be 10 years old in a few weeks, sheesh). Since then I have played through pretty much all the main titles from CD, including the Lara Croft games (along with the recent mobile ones), and finally broke through into the classic with Tomb Raider 1 and 2.

I haven't finished TR1, and will plan to do so next week to wrap up Atlantis, but as it stand 2 is pretty much my favorite. Yes the amount of human enemies can be bit of a turn off, but only at times really, and alot of the levels are still so strong in atmosphere, exploration, puzzles, etc. The second half in particular with Tibet and China is just god tier honestly, and what pushes my love to this game. No plans to look at the other classic games for now, but if TR3: Lost Artifact actually got a new release, I would LOVE to try that one.

As for the games from CD, I still enjoy them in many places, despite some flaws, with TR2013 and Underworld being the worse. Rise felt like a improvement from TR2013, through could be pushed even further in some places (maybe not something like the collectible galore however heh).

darthkarki

I don't think I ever actually finished any of the original Core games. I think I probably got stuck in all of them and just gave up. I do remember them being pretty fun though.

I really love Legend and Anniversary though, and even Underworld was pretty good. I like how those are their own self-contained trilogy, and other games can be in a different universe. I hope they do this with nu-Lara too at some point, so we can get back to the cocky, confident Lara of old. She was a lot more fun to hang out with.

Tomb Raider 2013 was definitely a big departure. I would love to see more games in the vein of Anniversary, but I really love Tomb Raider for what it is. That was actually some of the most fun I've had in a game. The core gameplay and gunplay felt amazing, I loved the very light looting and scavenging and the weapon upgrades throughout the journey, and the environment was pretty fantastic. Very pretty and also creepy.

Rise is ultimately pretty disappointing to me. The core gameplay is again very fun with some nice improvements (crafting explosives and what-have-you from bits and bobs scattered around the environment is genious, so fun, and rope-swinging is always a good idea) and I'm glad I got it, but the story and characters are so lame. This winning an award for writing is one of the most mind-boggling things I can imagine. There's some neat environments and the graphics are very good, but there's something off about it. It's just not as coherent as past games, or something. I don't know. Too much cut-and-paste?

But anyway, I'm still interested to see where it goes. Hope the next one is better.

I agree with most of your views on the games. I really wish TR could go back to a series that is mostly about puzzles and harsh platforming rather than the mix of Uncharted third person shooting and Assassin's creed collectathon that it is now.

When Legend came out it was thought then to have far too much action and shooting, and that was probably like 50% of the game, now it dominates the gameplay and the platforming sections are solely used as pacing gates. Sad state.

Edit: this is relevant in every classic TR thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQRr3pXxsGo

Defo give TRIV a shot, it's my fav. Tomb Raider 2 is prob one of my least favourites. Seemed to have a general lack of cohesion in its level design. Out of the Core games that is.

EDIT: one of the key reason TR got me hooked was the immersive atmosphere and the puzzles and it really felt like you were the first one who had been in this or that place in hundreds of years. I feel like the newer games (Crystal Dynamics) lost a lot of them, and I think it was partly by trying to characterize too much and moving further away from gameplay and making everything more cinematic including QTE's.

When you compare the opening to TR1 to TRremake I think it's really prevalent there. In the original you watch a cutscene that setup how foreboding and dangerous this place is and then immediately drops you in a stone hallway with creepy atmospherics and low LOS and only just starting to control Lara.

JustinBB7

I missed the originals as a kid, and after playing the reboot and rise I just beat the original game 2 days ago, going to start 2 tonight. 1 was really fun, besides the tank controls and horrible camera anyway. The cutscenes are so funny.

Did you play on PC? Dosbox crashes for me when I alt+tab, and steam overlay gets stuck. Which is pretty annoying.

I've been a fan of TR since day one, but was never able to complete the games. Probably because my attention span was short at the time. Now I enjoy taking my time with games and trying to do every single thing that the game has to offer.

As for the recent two TR games, I love them. Maybe because the devs gave Lara and the series more life than just walk around and figure out the puzzle.

a Chinese ghost demon no one’s ever heard of
fZk8qWU.png

Pilgrimzero

I missed the originals as a kid, and after playing the reboot and rise I just beat the original game 2 days ago, going to start 2 tonight. 1 was really fun, besides the tank controls and horrible camera anyway. The cutscenes are so funny.

Did you play on PC? Dosbox crashes for me when I alt+tab, and steam overlay gets stuck. Which is pretty annoying.

I am playing them on PC but I also have console copies. I was going to play 3 on my PS2 but the disc wouldn't read. An issue I have with my PS2. New PS1 coming in the mail soon.

impact

Banned
they still don’t give Lara her iconic dual pistols because Katniss Everdeen had to go make bows popular

??

This makes no sense. They didn't give Lara dual pistols because she has a bow? What?

TR Legend/Anniversary/Underworld are my definite favourites. There's more shooting in general, but there is no shortage of puzzles and dungeons to figure out.

You will be in those dungeons climbing around for 30 min to 1 hour doing the puzzles and platforming before you advance and it is glorious.

It is such a relief to play games like this today when most games are only about the shooting mechanics or the fighting.

I just started this trilogy last year and enjoyed every minute of them really, love the classic and uber-classic games of TR.

About to finish Underworld and I think it is the epitome of the franchise personally. Love the gameplay and everything about it really.

The only thing I don't like about Legend/Underworld I think is that Anniversary is the only one of that trilogy to allow manual grab. Makes the platforming that is already so good even more intense, but it's not so bad without it really.

t-ramp

I love the Legend/Anniversary/Underworld trilogy. They play great on PC with a 360 controller and look nice, and despite some jankiness and generally frustrating parts, I really enjoyed all three. I guess I never actually finished Anniversary, though, but I assume I was at least 2/3 into the game.

I do have 1/2/3 on GOG, I think, but only played a bit of the first one. Other than that, I also played the 2013 reboot and liked it well enough, although less than the first three Crystal Dynamics games.

Looking forward to playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, but I'll probably wait until I can get it for $20 or so.

Pilgrimzero

??

This makes no sense. They didn't give Lara dual pistols because she has a bow? What?

It's her new iconic weapon. And the new games focus on her using the bow as much as possible. From using it to shoot ropes for climbing to flame arrows to set things on fire. Also is your silent sniping weapon.

Bows are cool now. Dual pistols not so much.

Fugu

I've owned the original Tomb Raider for about twenty years. I only beat it for the first time last year.

I liked it a fair bit; it's sort of an alternate take on how to make a 3D platformer where your movements need to be precise and planned. It gives the whole game a good atmosphere and a nice pace, and feels a whole lot closer to the real-life experience of climbing shit than, say, Super Mario 64. My biggest complaint was that the game is extremely long and that the gameplay wears thin by the end. I was pretty burned out about 70% of the way through the game and the final level was a big slog. The other main problem is the absolutely terrible combat, but it's pretty subdued in the original game.

I think the main problems with the sequels is that they exacerbated the negative aspects without really offering anything new.

Giolon

I've played all the Tomb Raider games except Rise, and I hate the 2013 reboot. Legend, Anniversary, Underworld are the best incarnation of the series to me (though what's this about Underworld having a different ending on 360? I played on PC and never knew about this).

It really bums me out how they went chasing after Uncharted so hard, and their drive to make Lara more realistic and vulnerable ruined her character. I liked the larger than life James Bond/Indiana Jones hybrid they had developed her into by L/A/U and would have far, far preferred they run with that than rebooting the whole thing the way they did.

Pilgrimzero

I've played all the Tomb Raider games except Rise, and I hate the 2013 reboot. Legend, Anniversary, Underworld are the best incarnation of the series to me (though what's this about Underworld having a different ending on 360? I played on PC and never knew about this).

It really bums me out how they went chasing after Uncharted so hard, and their drive to make Lara more realistic and vulnerable ruined her character. I liked the larger than life James Bond/Indiana Jones hybrid they had developed her into by L/A/U and would have far, far preferred they run with that than rebooting the whole thing the way they did.

Underworld on 360 got 2 pieces of DLC set after the main game. Having to do with the clone's return.

Mexen

I must have played Anniversary a thousand times and I still couldn't get enough. It is probably my favorite in the series.

cameron

The DLC in Underworld was surprisingly good. Beneath the Ashes was a gigantic tomb with very little combat. I enjoyed it more than the main game.

Also, TRL/TRA/TRU were all story driven with a decent attempt at characterization. I quite liked the banter in TRL. Pure cheese and comic-book like, but at least the old trilogy didn't take it self too seriously and the writers didn't wank off to their own work.

I'm amused when people say the old games didn't have any story and that Lara had no character, while at the same time praising the narrative in the reboot. RotTR is retreading certain "character defining" themes that was present in the old trilogy.

Pilgrimzero

The DLC in Underworld was surprisingly good. Beneath the Ashes was a gigantic tomb with very little combat. I enjoyed it more than the main game.

Also, TRL/TRA/TRU were all story driven with a decent attempt at characterization. I quite liked the banter in TRL. Pure cheese and comic-book like, but at least the old trilogy didn't take it self too seriously and the writers didn't wank off to their own work.

I'm amused when people say the old games didn't have any story and that Lara had no character, while at the same time praising the narrative in the reboot. RotTR is retreading certain "character defining" themes that was present in the old trilogy.

I think it's that the old trilogy did it better.

TR3 update: surprise instant kills seem more numerous than previous games. Doubly so considering I'm I the 2nd stage. Very annoying. Save scamming is a must. I feel bad for people who had to do this on the PlayStation with its fixed save spots.

Wanderer5

I think it's that the old trilogy did it better.

TR3 update: surprise instant kills seem more numerous than previous games. Doubly so considering I'm I the 2nd stage. Very annoying. Save scamming is a must. I feel bad for people who had to do this on the PlayStation with its fixed save spots.

? TR3 doesn't have fixed spots like TR1. You can save anywhere really as long as you got the crystals in hand. It like a mix of TR1 and 2 save system.

I not sure if I want to check out TR3, considering how long and hard it apparently is, and I not sure if I feel up to that, despite liking the variety of settings it offers. I want to play its gold expansion more than the main game itself heh.

Light_End

Banned
Tomb Raider is the first videogame i've ever played that gave me a feeling similar to what I felt first playing a soulsborne game.

I was genuinely scared of exploring new areas in that game. The weight of Lara and how you controlled her is just something the newer games can never replicate with their snappy movement.

Also, since the new Lara is trying to be realistic and not a cartoon character, i'm afraid i'll never be able to backflip dual wield pistols, handstand while climbing up a ledge or swan dive into concrete anymore.

c0de

1 is still the best to me. But if I had to play it now, I would either play the pc version or the console version emulated. Fuck these crystals.

Pilgrimzero

? TR3 doesn't have fixed spots like TR1. You can save anywhere really as long as you got the crystals in hand. It like a mix of TR1 and 2 save system.

I not sure if I want to check out TR3, considering how long and hard it apparently is, and I not sure if I feel up to that, despite liking the variety of settings it offers. I want to play its gold expansion more than the main game itself heh.

The crystals in the pc version just heal you. I've saved like 35 times between the first 2 stages. Usually save before a major jump to a platform. That way if I fail I can just reload and try again.

Wanderer5

The crystals in the pc version just heal you. I've saved like 35 times between the first 2 stages. Usually save before a major jump to a platform. That way if I fail I can just reload and try again.

Yeah PC always seem to just been be able to save anywhere, so stocking up on crystals would be pointless when the saving is difference. I guess the PC version is a bit easier in that regards heh.

On a different note, think I will do a new run through with Legend around when it turns ten on April 7th. Not so great of a game going by a recent play, but it has kind of a special place in my heart, and some great replayability.

Pilgrimzero

Ended up giving up on 3 and moving to the much more enjoyable 4.

I really got tired of instant death stuff. Its the 2nd stage of the game! I looked it up and 3 is considered the hardest of the series.

I have mad respect for people who did this game on a console with its limited saving ability.

Light_End

Banned

I really got tired of instant death stuff. Its the 2nd stage of the game! I looked it up and 3 is considered the hardest of the series.

I have mad respect for people who did this game on a console with its limited saving ability.

The PC Tomb Raider saving functions are essentially cheating, as far as i'm concerned.

Mman235

While it's pretty brutal the whole way through, the game has an incredibly inconsistent difficulty curve and the second level is actually one of the hardest in the game in terms of death traps and bullshit moments. They're still present later (and it somewhat varies by the location you choose), but they tend to be comparatively more spread out. At least until the final location where things spike up again (and even then the penultimate level is the only one I can think of that comes close, and at least that has the excuse of being the finale).

Sort of. As in more happens to Lara, the clone, and Natla after the main game. The way the DLC wraps it up is better than the basic game ending IMO

Really fucking mad that the DLC is only on 360 now, because I just finished the game proper on PC.... so lame....

Wanderer5

While it's pretty brutal the whole way through, the game has an incredibly inconsistent difficulty curve and the second level is actually one of the hardest in the game in terms of death traps and bullshit moments. They're still present later (and it somewhat varies by the location you choose), but they tend to be comparatively more spread out. At least until the final location where things spike up again (and even then the penultimate level is the only one I can think of that comes close, and at least that has the excuse of being the finale).

Yeah I heard Temple Ruins is infamous for being the second level, yet has a brutal difficulty that is quite up there with Temple of Xian, which was one of the last TR2 levels. Temple of Xian is so damn awesome through, so maybe I would have liked it.

Top Bottom