• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ruffian working with Microsoft on a 1080p 60fps FPS tech demo, also on UE4 game

So, like...you think that all of the games that MS will release over the course of the new generation should have all started development before the PS4 reveal? Games will continue to get prototyped throughout the Gen. I know it's a weird time on GAF right now but come on Swift lol

No of course not but I found it odd is all

And to be clear I was referring to the tech demo. I know gears started as a tech demo but surely that's a rare occurrence?

How long do tech demos take to make? Games I can kind of wrap my head around the time commitment but tech demos I'm less familiar with

Really strange hired lately at MS.

jYzzwOuePYVA8.png

#Things

Well wasn't it suggested MS had another studio in Redmond (not related to 343i either) that were developing a game? That would fit with this, it says he/she is in Redmond, I doubt there would be any secrecy if they were at 343.

jaypah

No of course not but I found it odd is all

And to be clear I was referring to the tech demo. I know gears started as a tech demo but surely that's a rare occurrence?

How long do tech demos take to make? Games I can kind of wrap my head around the time commitment but tech demos I'm less familiar with

Lots of games start as tech demos. I don't have a list handy but I've read it before in interviews with developers.

Also I was just kinda fucking with you, hence the "lol".

Hindle

Banned
Oh no doubt, it just doesn't line up with the November 2012 - March 2013 dates.

Fair point.

I'd say development could have began in November 2012, but based off Spencer's recent comments, it seems MS will start developing a Crackdown in the future.

Lots of games start as tech demos. I don't have a list handy but I've read it before in interviews with developers.

Also I was just kinda fucking with you, hence the "lol".

Hmm that's interesting then

I don't really get tech demos though, I mean I get why you have them but how do you go about making them?

Do you get handed down specific requirements every time or do the higher-ups ever just go make shit look cool?

Oh and no worries jay I know you meant nothing by it.

Fair point.

I'd say development could have began in November 2012, but based off Spencer's recent comments, it seems MS will start developing a Crackdown in the future.

So when can we expect a new crackdown then do people think?

I love the first 2 even if the story was crap. I got that SUV to the top of that skyscraper it was glorious :D

Shiggy

Doesn't mean this will go anywhere. MGS Vancouver has started lots of prototypes too, same as Rare. Both studios have also cancelled a lot of demos.

Yup. Not go too much OT - but really excited to see their game finally.

I've got my fingers crossed it's going to be a good stealth title...if it is a stealth title. Teaser did suggest it would be a stealth title though or at least have strong stealth elements.

iMax

I don't really get tech demos though, I mean I get why you have them but how do you go about making them?

Do you get handed down specific requirements every time or do the higher-ups ever just go make shit look cool?

So when can we expect a new crackdown then do people think?

I love the first 2 even if the story was crap. I got that SUV to the top of that skyscraper it was glorious :D

If Ruffian's making it, 2015 at the earliest (if that). If someone else has been making it (which I highly doubt), then probably 2014.

Safest bet though, is that the IP's on the back burner for a bit.

If Ruffian's making it, 2015 at the earliest (if that). If someone else has been making it (which I highly doubt), then probably 2014.

Safest bet though, is that the IP's on the back burner for a bit.

Sad then I always liked running around with superpowers and doing absolutely nothing productive to society

Spend like a in-game day trying to climb the taller buildings

jaypah

From what I've read it sometimes starts as just some guys trying out ideas, the ideas seem cool so someone higher up says to keep iterating and eventually they may get a green light to get with another group to apply that to an existing game or even green light it to be it's own game. The sad part is that I usually read this about games that got cancelled :(

From what I've read it sometimes starts as just some guys trying out ideas, the ideas seem cool so someone higher up says to keep iterating and eventually they may get a green light to get with another group to apply that to an existing game or even green light it to be it's own game. The sad part is that I usually read this about games that got cancelled :(

That's cool then. Must be a nice work environment to be able to just play with things, tinker etc.

Two ex GoW dev hires.

Hmm, one might think that MS were planning to create their very own God of War....

I doubt it. Not that I think that Ryse and God of War are similar particularly but I don't think MS would want two sword fighter games like that.

I hope MS have an RPG or two in the making.

Alx

Eh, I would not read too much into that. People with talent will put it to good use no matter what genre, style or franchise.

Yes, I'm not too surprised either seeing people going from one studio to another, it's probably business as usual for such careers. After all, if people like Peter Moore, Phil Harrison or Don Mattrick can move from place to place, so can developers.

Eh, I would not read too much into that. People with talent will put it to good use no matter what genre, style or franchise.

I wouldn't mind a game that rivals God of War in scope, gameplay, etc. Perhaps set in a different era, more likeable protagonist, could work...

Then again, Ryse (even though it's nothing like GoW) might fill that gap.

I doubt it. Not that I think that Ryse and God of War are similar particularly but I don't think MS would want two sword fighter games like that.

I hope MS have an RPG or two in the making.

Yeah, I think Ryse might turn out to be MS' answer to God of War. Even though both don't particularly have much in common apart from the fact that both are visual showcases for their respective console and both seem to share a love of big set pieces/over the top storytelling.

I'd be down for an RPG or two. A new Lost Odyssey would be nice.

Hindle

Banned

The God of War levels had massive backdrops, whilst the Killzone series does have great AI. This kind of experience could fit a possible Spy game nicely.

I'm scraping the barrel here I know lol.

Yeah, I think Ryse might turn out to be MS' answer to God of War. Even though both don't particularly have much in common apart from the fact that both are visual showcases for their respective console and both seem to share a love of big set pieces/over the top storytelling.

I'd be down for an RPG or two. A new Lost Odyssey would be nice.

Take this with a large grain of salt but there was a reddit AMA with a "supposed 1P MS insider" who said Ryse was built from the ground up to compete with god of war

He said some pretty terrible things though and pretty sure the consensus was it was a tales from my ass sort of thing

Still it's been hinted at for some time that Ryse might indeed be MS's answer to GoW

jaypah

Take this with a large grain of salt but there was a reddit AMA with a "supposed 1P MS insider" who said Ryse was built from the ground up to compete with god of war

He said some pretty terrible things though and pretty sure the consensus was it was a tales from my ass sort of thing

Still it's been hinted at for some time that Ryse might indeed be MS's answer to GoW

Yeah, if I remember right a GAFfer proved it was bullshit. But I imagine even if MS never says it in public they probably see it as ticking a "God of War" box.

Wouldn't surprise me if that does turn out to be the case. I guess we'll see if Ryse turns out to have any supernatural elements or if it'll remain a more grounded affair.

If they do choose to turn into a franchise and have the games remain grounded, I think an alternate history approach to storytelling in sequels could work very well.

I don't see how its hinted, what do the games really have in common? The use of swords? The gods thing which we don't know how its interlinked into the story? Ryse plays completely differently to God of War...

I don't see how its hinted, what do the games really have in common? The use of swords? The gods thing which we don't know how its interlinked into the story? Ryse plays completely differently to God of War...

Awesome avatar change.

Anyway, I think it's less about gameplay and more in terms of it being a historical action adventure game with a huge emphasis on over the top storytelling, stunning visuals and big set pieces.

Yeah, if I remember right a GAFfer proved it was bullshit. But I imagine even if MS never says it in public they probably see it as ticking a "God of War" box.

Don't know if it was ever proven as it'd be hard to prove but well it is reddit after all so doubt it's legitimacy

Wouldn't surprise me if that does turn out to be the case. I guess we'll see if Ryse turns out to have any supernatural elements or if it'll remain a more grounded affair.

If they do choose to turn into a franchise and have the games remain grounded, I think an alternate history approach to storytelling in sequels could work very well.

I thought we had pretty good info on MS wanting to make Ryse a franchise if it does well?

I'd much prefer an alternate history approach as well, Scarface the game worked well with that

Honestly this was around E3 or thereafter so I don't remember it completely. Only remember the reddit thing because it was kind of ridiculous

Perhaps hinted was the wrong word? Maybe I should of used discussed

You may be right as the gameplay does seem to be of a different affair and that's what a lot of people really like about the god of war series

oVerde

Banned

AMA? Pretty sure was a /v/ screen cap, nothing that valuable like an AMA.

Guerilla

Crackdown 2 was a mediocre at best game with some pretty ugly visuals, I don't understand why so many people here are in love the franchise. Just let it die folks.

Top Bottom