• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Crystal Dynamics working on “Soul Reaver” reboot

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think a reboot is the right idea. It's been gone for too long, a straight sequel wouldn't be worth doing.

joshwaan

Hell yeah bring it on I fucking loved Soul Reaver one of my fav PSX games

Next Gen would kick ass I tell ya look fully sic and play like a dream :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Can't wait to hear more about this. Yes, I love this series so much that I want to believe.

Awesome if true. Make it more in line with the first one please, and less like 2/Defiance.
The first Soul Reaver is one of my favorite games ever. Soul Reaver 2 blew my mind with story, dialogue and atmosphere, but the gameplay was quite a bit weaker. My ideal game would retain the structure from the first and the story aspects from the second. Please, let's forget the DMC-lite gameplay of Defiance.

If this doesn't conclude the original story in any way and is just a re-imagined Soul Reaver with Kain as a villain again, now hunted by a young Raziel, then I'll pass.

If it's a 'reboot' like Soul Reaver was to Blood Omen, but instead just reboots the franchise with a new protagonist but continues the old story from a new point of view, then I should be happy.

Who am I kidding? The first option is far more feasible even though it'd be a slap-in-the-face to old fans.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
If this doesn't conclude the original story in any way and is just a re-imagined Soul Reaver with Kain as a villain again, now hunted by a young Raziel, then I'll pass.

If it's a 'reboot' like Soul Reaver was to Blood Omen, but instead just reboots the franchise with a new protagonist but continues the old story from a new point of view, then I should be happy.

Who am I kidding? The first option is far more feasible even though it'd be a slap-in-the-face to old fans.
At this point, we should probably consider the original story wrapped up with an open ending.
Kain knows everything, the real enemy is unveiled, and he will eventually face him to restore Nosgoth

After all this time, they'll probably want to start over from scratch, with a completely new canon. It would also probably work better than messing further with the old one.

Sheppard

Not sure how I feel about this. I want a sequel not a reboot.

And this will only work with the same voice actors, Simon and Michael at the helm. I do not want my voice actors rebooted.

At this point, we should probably consider the original story wrapped up with an open ending.
Kain knows everything, the real enemy is unveiled, and he will eventually face him to restore Nosgoth

After all this time, they'll probably want to start over from scratch, with a completely new canon. It would also probably work better than messing further with the old one.
I understand that the series' story could be off-putting to new players, if they continued it the references would have to be reintroduced slowly and it would need to be begin from a different point to where Defiance ended (perhaps the Ancient/Hylden war, or when Kain is starting off his empire) but at the same time I'd hate if they took one of the few good stories in video games, just completely scrapped it so and CD only tried to appeal to the people who played the most well-received game, Soul Reaver. So it's just Raziel again, trying to kill Kain... and just concentrates on the vengeance theme, without any concern for how the characters developed or who is actually the main villain.

It's ok ignoring the past stories for Tomb Raider, it wasn't very good to be begin with. Legacy of Kain mostly has a good story and I worry they'll ignore most of that, even though that was the main selling point for old fans. I'd take a new IP with the same style of exploration... over a complete reboot.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

"Reboot" generally refers to a large change in a major part of the game, but it doesn't always mean the plot.

Like, Metroid Prime and Other M are reboots by most standards, yet tie in to the overall canon of Metroid.

Even Resident Evil 4 could pretty easily be considered one.

I'm assuming this will be related to the other games, but presented in a way that it's not totally confusing to new people.

I mean, you could start at Jocchan's spoiler and present that in a way that is functionally understandable for people who are just coming in.

I do expect the gameplay and art direction to get large scale overhauls though, which would fit with reboot.

To be fair, there are still talented writers at Eidos. I was really impressed with the writing for Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Now that's how to reboot a franchise!
That's the case in many situations, a bunch of talented people working behind the scenes that don't get credit. But i've seen Henning and the women is brilliant, that type of one person that makes a lot of difference.

Anyway, this one of the great franchises that don't get enough credit, so it's good to hear a comeback is a possibility.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I understand that the series' story could be off-putting to new players, if they continued it the references would have to be reintroduced slowly and it would need to be begin from a different point to where Defiance ended (perhaps the Ancient/Hylden war, or when Kain is starting off his empire) but at the same time I'd hate if they took one of the few good stories in video games, just completely scrapped it so and CD only tried to appeal to the people who played the most well-received game, Soul Reaver. So it's just Raziel again, trying to kill Kain... and just concentrates on the vengeance theme, without any concern for how the characters developed or who is actually the main villain.

It's ok ignoring the past stories for Tomb Raider, it wasn't very good to be begin with. Legacy of Kain mostly has a good story and I worry they'll ignore most of that, even though that was the main selling point for old fans. I'd take a new IP with the same style of exploration... over a complete reboot.
On one hand, the thought of more sequels potentially messing up the intricate timeline of events in the series (ie. Raziel's full circle
to bring him back
) makes me think I'd rather have them do something different instead. On the other hand, I miss that universe and its characters a lot.
To be entirely honest, I'm not sure myself of what I'd prefer them to do.

I've heard of these games. Are they any good?
Sorta.

"Reboot" generally refers to a large change in a major part of the game, but it doesn't always mean the plot.

Like, Metroid Prime and Other M are reboots by most standards, yet tie in to the overall canon of Metroid.

Even Resident Evil 4 could pretty easily be considered one.

I'm assuming this will be related to the other games, but presented in a way that it's not totally confusing to new people.

I mean, you could start at Jocchan's spoiler and present that in a way that is functionally understandable for people who are just coming in.

I do expect the gameplay and art direction to get large scale overhauls though, which would fit with reboot.
Soul Reaver itself was a reboot that was still part of the same canon. Blood Omen had a very intricate plot, but its knowledge wasn't really required.

Hopefully Simon Templeman will be kain again! Such an awesome distinct voice. Anything else would a deal-breaker for me.
Absolutely.

Sentenza

Do not want. Even a little bit.

Make a new IP instead, you creatively bankrupt hacks.
IP relevance is generally overrated. It's all about the gameplay formula.
I couldn't give less a fuck if the game is called Soul Reaver, Legacy of Kaine or Murderous Ewoks from the Forest Moon of Endor.
What really matters is the kind of experience I'm going to enjoy.

When I hear reboot I don't think this game will have anything to do with Raziel. They'll probably go back to when Kain was human and then was turned and do a WRPG styled game from there.

ArjanN

Reboot kinda makes sense, since it's been so long and the story had gotten really convoluted. The majority of the plot threads got wrapped up in last game anyway.

THE TAVERN'S CLOSING. BEST BE ON YOUR WAY, STRANGER.

"What? No mug of ale for a weary traveller from distant Coorhagen? I can reward you well for I am of noble blood"

I played this way too much as a kid.

Vampires are too lame nowadays for me to care for a reboot, thanks Twilight!

Hedja

Reboots this generation haven't really gone well so there's no reason to be hyped seeing as how most of these reboots are more "recycled IP"s if anything.

I'm going to take a big guess I say it'll be a hack 'n' slash game starting from the very beginning of the story; before the first game.

Top Bottom