• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Dell Fires 3000 US Employees. Fact: Requests 5000 Visas For Foreign Workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...employees-requests-5000-visas-foreign-workers

The ink was barely dry on Dell’s acquisition of EMC, the largest technology deal ever, valued at $67 billion when it was announced in October last year – and already the layoff rumors are oozing from the woodwork.

“People familiar with the company’s plans” told Bloomberg that Dell will cut 2,000 to 3,000 jobs.

Dell spokesman Dave Farmer refused to comment specifically on the report on Thursday but said instead, as sort of a confirmation: “As is common with deals of this size, there will be some overlaps we will need to manage and where some employee reduction will occur.”

On Wednesday, the day the deal closed, CEO Michael Dell gave some clues in an interview: “There are some overlapping functions and that sort of thing – that’s not the primary feature of this, but there is some of that.”

These “overlaps” or “overlapping functions” are terms in corporate speak for real people, and these real people are mostly working in the US, according to the report: supply chain, marketing, and general and administrative positions.

Between 2014 and 2016, Dell applied for 2,039 H-1B visas and 256 Green Cards. EMC applied for 2,347 H-1B visas and 453 Green Cards, for a total of 5,095 applications.

These are just applications. Not all of them will be certified, and of those that are certified, not all beneficiaries will be hired. But the data for 2016 isn’t complete yet either.

It’s the hot thing to do for tech companies: laying off existing workers in the US, and bringing it foreign workers on H-1B visas. The Senate has been looking into some of the abuses.

Sigh

Rather than creating better products and stepping up your creative marketing, just fire everyone and hire overseas workers who will take half the pay and speak half as good as a native. This will outweigh any financial loses. Genius. This cannot fail. So very sustainable...

All jokes aside, I feel for those workers. We def do not need a sudden explosion of 5000 unemployed workers anywhere. Oh, and to those potential overseas employees, do the smart thing, and get married ASAP to a native.

Joni

It might be time to introduce a minimum wage for HB-1 positions that is considerably high, like $100.000. If these are really functions that can't be filled in by US employees, it should be worth it to pay that much.

WedgeX

Banned
It might be time to introduce a minimum wage for HB-1 positions that is considerably high, like $100.000. If these are really functions that can't be filled in by US employees, it should be worth it to pay that much.

I'd be for this.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
[Agent]ZeroNine;216503331 said:
Rather than creating better products and stepping up your creative marketing, just fire everyone and hire overseas workers who will take half the pay and speak half as good as a native. This will outweigh any financial loses. Genius. This cannot fail. So very sustainable...

All jokes aside, I feel for those workers. We def do not need a sudden explosion of 5000 unemployed workers anywhere. Oh, and to those potential overseas employees, do the smart thing, and get married ASAP to a native.

Long term sustainability doesn't matter. The objective of publicly traded companies is to create short term value for their shareholders by increasing profits year over year.

It's really kind if sickening.

Fei

I agree, but this would be political poison.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

They would still have more control over the employees, ie. we control your immigration status and will work you to the bone with no push back

Lucumo

Long term sustainability doesn't matter. The objective of publicly traded companies is to create short term value for their shareholders by increasing profits year over year.

It's really kind if sickening.

Dell is a privately held company.

Kieli

Companies applying for H1-B: "There is a shortage of skilled workers in the NA market."

Translation:

"We don't want to pay fair market value for NA workers, so we'll get rid of them and get a fresh supply of H1-Bs that fear us kicking them back home and are cheap"

SuperHans

I think this is a bit ignorant. Why would they hire people with poor English? Most India's I've worked with have perfect English. Not to mention that people from the Uk and Ireland etc also would also have to get H1Bs.

Kthulhu

Dude, you're getting a Delhi.

giphy.gif

This shit is gross.

Way of killing your industry.

Paz

A lot of people seem to think these Visa's are easy to get but it's actually quite difficult to move to the states for work, as an Australian with nearly 10 years in my field but without a 4 year degree I'm pretty sure they'd turn me down.

Like it or not the people they bring in on these things are certainly highly skilled workers.

KevinRo

A lot of people seem to think these Visa's are easy to get but it's actually quite difficult to move to the states for work, as an Australian with nearly 10 years in my field but without a 4 year degree I'm pretty sure they'd turn me down.

Like it or not the people they bring in on these things are certainly highly skilled workers.

This is completely false.

I've known computer programmers right out of university hired by Microsoft and Amazon from Canada just because they'll be paid less.

It's going on everywhere.

They get a visa, set up in corporate temporary housing for a couple months along with a company car to use. It's crazy.

And these programmers have no experience other than university and some internship programs.

Mesousa

Banned
This is completely false.

I've known computer programmers right out of university hired by Microsoft and Amazon from Canada just because they'll be paid less.

It's going on everywhere.

They get a visa, set up in corporate temporary housing for a couple months along with a company car to use. It's crazy.

And these programmers have no experience other than university and some internship programs.

Of course they do. You can see it in grad programs, which are really just tunnels to give people from overseas a shot a US jobs. They are hired for less, given "Company rooms
" and paid a lot less than what they will even offer Americans now.

Its not even a fact of American tech workers not accepting such low rates anymore, they just won't even try to hire them at it anymore.

Joni

They would still have more control over the employees, ie. we control your immigration status and will work you to the bone with no push back

Should be resolved through regular worker protection laws.

At the moment it is killing American employment. If high-paid workers are fired for lower-paid workers, it is clear abuse of the system that should be stopped. If it is a matter of not finding high skilled, high paid workers in the USA, a minimum wage won't hurt them.

Sulik2

Or its a great way to try and force the money out of the hands of stock holders and C level employees into a robust middle class that drives the economy combined with increased taxes on stock revenue, corporate profits and high income earners.

There's a difference between you as an individual Australian trying to get a visa to work in the U.S. and large corporations trying to get thousands of visas every year. The tech industry heavily lobbies U.S. politicians to increase the number of H-1B visas every year.

Sid

It'll be a 10th of the pay but their English will probably be just as good.

Krejlooc

Banned
Fucking terrible

My very first job out of college, I lost to outsourcing. Wound up training my own replacement. Fuck I hate outsourcing.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Dell is just operating in the rules they have been given. Can't blame them.

We do need to change the rules.

Peterthumpa

Isn't that a thing in the US already? I remember when applying to come over to Canada for work how my company had to deal with a thing called LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment), and how I had to literally prove that my knowledge in my work area was above average in comparison with the Canadian AND the BC market back then.

Also, my wages must be a specific % higher than what a Canadian would get.

Dell is just operating in the rules they have been given. Can't blame them.

We do need to change the rules.

This is bullshit. Of course you can blame them. Just because they're operating in a way that doesn't break any laws doesn't mean what they're doing isn't shitty as fuck.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I work as a software engineer for a company under EMC, now Dell. I know plenty of people overseas hired via EMC through H1-Bs and they aren't just outsourced cheap labor, but very skilled and intelligent people from all over the world. I imagine most people being laid off, as the article says, marketing / supply chain / etc, aren't having their positions filled by H1-B applicants, because those aren't the jobs these people are coming over to do: engineering / design / etc.

Coincidentally, I'm an American in the process of getting a visa to work in the UK through EMC.

Krejlooc

Banned
Good, old Zero Hedge drumming up the anti-immigrant rhetoric.

I don't think this is anti-immigration rhetoric. Like, as I said earlier, I had my very first job outsourced, and I don't blame the immigrants one bit. Were I in their shoes, I'd be doing the same thing.

I blame the companies engaging in this practice, not the immigrants. Directing your anger towards immigrants is getting angry at a bunch of innocent people.

No? In fact, they usually laugh at threats of unionization because there is always a glut of workers ready to replace you if you rock the boat.

Yes, actually. Tech executives and lobbyists have spoken about a lack of U.S. workers for many years. Internally, there's the reality that workers can be easily replaced.

chadskin

I don't think this is anti-immigration rhetoric. Like, as I said earlier, I had my very first job outsourced, and I don't blame the immigrants one bit. Were I in their shoes, I'd be doing the same thing.

I blame the companies engaging in this practice, not the immigrants. Directing your anger towards immigrants is getting angry at a bunch of innocent people.

Unmasking the Men Behind Zero Hedge, Wall Street's Renegade Blog
Lokey, who said he wrote much of the site’s political content, claimed there was pressure to frame issues in a way he felt was disingenuous. “I tried to inject as much truth as I could into my posts, but there’s no room for it. “Russia=good. Obama=idiot. Bashar al-Assad=benevolent leader. John Kerry= dunce. Vladimir Putin=greatest leader in the history of statecraft,” Lokey wrote, describing his take on the website's politics. Ivandjiiski countered that Lokey could write “anything and everything he wanted directly without anyone writing over it.”
“I can’t be a 24-hour cheerleader for Hezbollah, Moscow, Tehran, Beijing, and Trump anymore. It’ s wrong. Period. I know it gets you views now, but it will kill your brand over the long run,” Lokey texted Ivandjiiski. “This isn’t a revolution. It’s a joke.”

I feel like the law should be if you terminate a us citizen and give a non-citizen a H1B within 3 months of the termination, the citizen gets the difference between his pay and the H1B worker's for one year. This is paid by the business.

Would give people who get terminated a lifeline, as well as discourage hiring lower paid workers.

dakilla13

I work as a software engineer for a company under EMC, now Dell. I know plenty of people overseas hired via EMC through H1-Bs and they aren't just outsourced cheap labor, but very skilled and intelligent people from all over the world. I imagine most people being laid off, as the article says, marketing / supply chain / etc, aren't having their positions filled by H1-B applicants, because those aren't the jobs these people are coming over to do: engineering / design / etc.

Coincidentally, I'm an American in the process of getting a visa to work in the UK through EMC.

I think this is being missed in this thread. H1-B workers from India are usually highly qualified and skilled. I don't think it's a 1:1 fire local hire H1-B worker for the same position in this case.

spwolf

people see what they want to see. Article clearly states they are getting rid of office staff and not engineering.

On the other hand H1-B visa's are for Engineering not general office tasks.

My experience in US tech startups was that we get paid the same - based on skill set, no matter where we are from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom