• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Fifa 18 partnership goes to Sony?

What in the heavens name is Phil doing. I don't understand the strategy behind giving up all marketing rights, to every single third party game. Maybe saving money now, to get marketing rights when Scorpio launches?

I still remember when a lot of people thought that Destiny was a PS4 exclusive title.

What in the heavens name is Phil doing. I don't understand the strategy behind giving up all marketing rights, to every single third party game. Maybe saving money now, to get marketing rights when Scorpio launches?

I still remember when a lot of people thought that Destiny was a PS4 exclusive title.

They have marketing for other stuff.

This year they had For Honor. They also have Shadow of War. Madden isnt going anywhere since Microsoft pumped a lot of money into the NFL to get Bing and Surface all over that. They might have Assassins Creed Origins too. I will also not be shocked of Biowares Destiny has a xbox deal similar to Destiny and PS4. Thats a respectable lineup.

And the one advantage MS has over Sony is MS can actually ship a first party game in time for November.

Losing the COD deal was a huge blow now matter how to PR it. That Xbox bundle was always THE bundle for years and years. Fifa just seemed like a cynical attempt to try something for Europe that didnt help at all. That is totally money that can go elsewhere IMO.

Memento

That would give Sony the partnership monopoly of pretty much every top dog third party game. The new Assassins Creed is the only one that Microsoft can lock it for them now.

Dynomutt

100% agree. They are a waste of money.. they should spent that money on games.

It's all narrative right? If MS had the launch they wanted, more first party IP's, and was market leaders this conversation would not be happening. Destiny would beg to differ that third party deals are not beneficial.

gamz

It's all narrative right? If MS had the launch they wanted, more first party IP's, and was market leaders this conversation would not be happening. Destiny would beg to differ that third party deals are not beneficial.

Well, yeah. They are getting money.

Good, waste of money.

MS, I hope the reason you're stopping this is due to you throwing every available dime you have to spend on games into 1st party.

100% agree. They are a waste of money.. they should spent that money on games.

Gee, seems to me that the consumers don't seem to think it was a waste of money, what with that 2-to-1 install base advantage Sony built and all.

The "GOOD, MORE MONEY FOR EXCLUSIVES!" concept, besides just being comically simplistic in it's understanding of how divisions in a large business are funded, is based on a myoptic, last-generation mode of thought.

Sony was able to scratch and crawl it's way back to somewhat-relative install parity at the very, very tail end last gen by burning a ton of money building up a huge apparatus of first-party studios; this the tack I assume the Microsoft partisans are suggesting Microsoft should take with the Xbox platform in order to get back into contention against Sony this generation.

The thing is, this generation the development costs (both money AND time) for the type of AAA titles Gaf would commonly consider to be needle-movers for a platform have skyrocketed again, approximately 3x the last generation on average. Because of this it would be much tougher task to replicate Sony's late-last-gen first party successes this generation. The type of 75-100 person team $25-30 million dollar budget AA-AAA exclusives Sony propped up last generation simply don't exist anymore. Sony itself had the foresight to realize this at the onset of this generation, and changed their approach.

The fact of the matter is, while grotesque and incomprehensible to most Gaffers, having something like exclusive marketing rights + one month timed exclusive DLC for Call of Duty is exponentially more important in the actual market than a well-reviewed and well-selling exclusive title such as Horizon: Zero Dawn.

paulogy

Without having any idea how this works, at this point might it be prohibitively expensive for MS to forge marketing deals with third parties? They would be marketing to an install base that is half the size (half as many Xbox Ones sold as PS4s), and presumably paying just as much (if not more) to compete with Sony marketing on PS4.

thuway

Sony has both the marketing deals and the first party AAA games development and second party exclusives on lockdown. Losing during the PS3 era truly brought the fire.

Sony has both the marketing deals and the first party AAA games development and second party exclusives on lockdown. Losing during the PS3 era truly brought the fire.

"checks Sony first / second party release window for the rest of 2017"

smoldering-wick.jpg

Dat fire.

MS and Sony obvious have different strategies but lord do I hate Sonys approach of releasing everything big first party between February and June and then not having anything of note for the rest of the year. Its the opposite of Microsofts "Holiday is main event and everything other month is practice season" approach.

I mean shit. Its only May but already Sony seems tapped out for the rest of the year. But they got Destiny and COD marketing so they will still do fine.

thuway

Dat fire.

MS and Sony obvious have different strategies but lord do I hate Sonys approach of releasing everything big first party between February and June and then not having anything of note for the rest of the year.

I mean shit. Its only May but already Sony seems tapped out for the rest of the year. But they got Destiny and COD marketing so they will still do fine.

Are we being serious right now? The strategy of pitting your first party titles against the likes of Destiny, Call of Duty, Star Wars Battlefront, and the major heavy AAA third party games is a sure fire way to fall face first into failure.

Dat fire.

MS and Sony obvious have different strategies but lord do I hate Sonys approach of releasing everything big first party between February and June and then not having anything of note for the rest of the year. Its the opposite of Microsofts "Holiday is main event and everything other month is practice season" approach.

They are tapped out but they still have stuff like Uncharted, Knack, Yakuza and GT Sport coming.

Gee, seems to me that the consumers don't seem to think it was a waste of money, what with that 2-to-1 install base advantage Sony built and all.

The "GOOD, MORE MONEY FOR EXCLUSIVES!" concept, besides just being comically simplistic in it's understanding of how divisions in a large business are funded, is based on a myoptic, last-generation mode of thought.

Sony was able to scratch and crawl it's way back to somewhat-relative install parity at the very, very tail end last gen by burning a ton of money building up a huge apparatus of first-party studios; this the tack I assume the Microsoft partisans are suggesting Microsoft should take with the Xbox platform in order to get back into contention against Sony this generation.

The thing is, this generation the development costs (both money AND time) for the type of AAA titles Gaf would commonly consider to be needle-movers for a platform have skyrocketed again, approximately 3x the last generation on average. Because of this it would be much tougher task to replicate Sony's late-last-gen first party successes this generation. The type of 75-100 person team $25-30 million dollar budget AA-AAA exclusives Sony propped up last generation simply don't exist anymore. Sony itself had the foresight to realize this at the onset of this generation, and changed their approach.

The fact of the matter is, while grotesque and incomprehensible to most Gaffers, having something like exclusive marketing rights + one month timed exclusive DLC for Call of Duty is exponentially more important in the actual market than a well-reviewed and well-selling exclusive title such as Horizon: Zero Dawn.
It will be even more funny once MS announces their third party marketing deals.

Shambala

Dat fire.

Lmao fight that good fight my child. Microsoft fans are hurting right now 😩

Dat fire.

They still have games coming at the end of this year .
They have UC TLL , Knack , Everybody's Golf and maybe GTS.
So they have a rather big end of the year compare to other years .

ethomaz

Banned
Because Sony was willing to pay more for it.
Probably Sony will play the lesser of the three. Smaller userbase = expensive to make these deals.

Every publish wants a deal with Sony first... so every publish will choose Sony deal even if it is cheaper... the market share is too important for these publishers.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

I guess Spencer is on a tight budget. And if he has the choice to spend 50 million on marketing rights or on subsidizing Scorpio for a competitive price he will chose the latter.

I am not sure I have it in me to argue with people who list Knack 2 as a reason Sony is bringing THE THUNDER!

I would just like it if they released games year round. Its not hard to see Detroit, Spiderman, Days Gone, God of War all being Q1-Q2 releases and that just seems kinda silly to me.

But its a strategy that is working ok for them hardware wise I guess even if you could argue that in terms of first party game sales Sony isnt still not great.

MS, I hope the reason you're stopping this is due to you throwing every available dime you have to spend on games into 1st party.

laughter.gif

And I'm laughing at the posts above, because of course the smarter decision would be to launch your First Party games against Call of Duty, Battlefront, etc.

It worked so well for Sunset Overdrive, for an example.

I am not sure I have it in me to argue with people who list Knack 2 as a reason Sony is bringing THE THUNDER!

I would just like it if they released games year round. Its not hard to see Detroit, Spiderman, Days Gone, God of War all being Q1-Q2 releases and that just seems kinda silly to me.
I sure hope you didn't use Recore to argue that MS has a great holiday lineup last year then

Ah, the old switch.

*Claims Sony has nothing else for the rest of the year*
*Gets examples of games coming the rest of the year*
*Says games don't count*

Come better than that. Step your trolling up.

From a business standpoint, it makes sense for them to put most of their stuff in Q1-Q2. The heavy hitter third party stuff is in the fall. They might still do a couple of games in genres that aren't too saturated in the fall time frame.

Wedzi

Banned
Dark day for Dark Master

But its a strategy that is working ok for them hardware wise I guess even if you could argue that in terms of first party game sales Sony isnt still not great.

Just OK

Second part is a lie

don't really see how it matters as long as they come out.
you can play many games on the ps4 in the fall or play the games that came out in the spring in the fall.

Huh?

Horizon Zero Dawn sales top 2.6M units in under two weeks

The Last Guardian outsells Shadow of the Colossus but fails to reach No.1

Ratchet & Clank PS4 Breaks Franchise Sales Record

Uncharted 4 had most successful launch in series history; week one sales up 66% on Uncharted 3

Until Dawn sales 'surpassed expectations', sequel 'in discussion'

Bloodborne Sales Success Took Sony By Surprise

PS4 has its first big hit of the year — Infamous: Second Son's sales surpass 1M in 9 days

I could continue but the notion that Sony's first party releases are doing badly sales wise is alien to me.

ethomaz

Banned

Still all first party had record sales on PS4...

Software sales are related to hardware sales... more consoles sold = more users tô buy your games... that is why software sales on PS4 is so strong.

Orca

Are we being serious right now? The strategy of pitting your first party titles against the likes of Destiny, Call of Duty, Star Wars Battlefront, and the major heavy AAA third party games is a sure fire way to fall face first into failure.

So we've now pivoted from 'big fall releases are essential' to 'big fall releases are stupid'

Wedzi

Banned
So we've now pivoted from 'big fall releases are essential' to 'big fall releases are stupid'

People have pivoted from that line of thinking for awhile now. Hell most game companies bow out of the Holiday to avoid running into CoD, NBA 2K, FIFA, etc.

GeoramA

No big holiday releases continues to be very smart by Sony. Everything is going to get steam-rolled by the multiplayer behemoths.
I could continue but the notion that Sony's first party releases are doing badly sales wise is alien to me.
Some people still have their heads in the sand and pretend that it's still the PS3 era. PS4 software sales are great.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure that Sony and MS keep all of their money in a big vault like Scrooge McDuck. They just grab however much they need for marketing deals and bundles and games and leave a note to say what they used it on. It's common sense.

samar11

Dat fire.

Lucky Sony doesnt have anyone like you running the company

So do we know anything for sure now? Has MS really given up on this deal or did Sony actually outbid them? You gotta wonder why it seems Sony really is getting the majority of these days this year while there always used to be a good balance. Despite Sony being the market leader.

It doesn't matter for me much, although I hate these timed exclusive deals anyway, but you'd think it can't be good for MS. Especially when it seems MS wants to improve Xbox in terms of gaming.

Crazy switcheroo if this happens.
The EMEA region will absolutely GOBBLE UP cheap Fifa 18 PS4 bundles during Christmas probably way more than the XB1 did with the same partnership.

More money to be made for EA too I would imagine.

Sony is a UEFA sponsor, not FIFA... If I remember correctly.

Correct. Sony do all the Champions league and
lame ass
Europa league promo stuff.

Nothing but rumors yet.
If! the multi year deal ended this summer, its possible either Microsoft refused to renew, or Sony just outbid them.

In general you get first refusal rights into contracts like this. But without knowing the details you can't be sure.

Three

I don't think FIFA marketing is all that important nowadays since the general public know it's everywhere even on their mobile and iPads. Seeing as this is in Germany too then it makes total sense for that poster to have PS4 on it.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think FIFA marketing is all that important nowadays since the general public know it's everywhere even on their mobile and iPads. Seeing as this is in Germany too then it makes total sense for that poster to have PS4 on it.
FIFA is the best marketing deal you can have in EU.

Nothing but rumors yet.
If! the multi year deal ended this summer, its possible either Microsoft refused to renew, or Sony just outbid them.

In general you get first refusal rights into contracts like this. But without knowing the details you can't be sure.

True, but it's starting to become a bit crazy how many of these deals MS is missing out on and why?

Top Bottom