• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor from a single tweet: Target to stop selling physical media (movies and series) in-store and online by 2025

Mattyp

Gold Member
Let’s just all agree it sucks but physical media is going away for nextbox and ps6. I think switch 2 will stay around but they are full transitioning to digital.

Not the next generation but the one after that I can see it happening, everyone that's bought digital is to blame I'll tap out of gaming at that point.

People thought I was crazy for saying we're heading to subscription based streaming boxes but that's exactly where this is going and arriving quicker than my 20 year time line.

plip.plop

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

So this rumor is about them ditching movies and music on physical media, and not about games. Still a valid concern for people who love physical media, but maybe the thread title should be updated to clarify this aspect, considering it was posted in the Gaming forum.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I doubt videogames bring customers to retailers, like they used to. Might as well use that space for other merchandise.

Last edited:
Fuck it. If the next consoles are digital only, I'm out. And not just because of "you will own nothing", but also because AAA gaming has gone to absolute shit, outside of a few reliable devs. I'll just sit back with my PS5, take it offline, and eventually jailbreak it to replay all my old favorites and clear out my backlog.

King Dazzar

I'm hoping blu rays and 4k Blu rays have years left. Gaming seems to be a no no though.

We just need a governing body to step in to make sure you can purchase digital content from various sources, cant just have a platform holder retain full control.
The weird thing is, there's lots of steelbook limited runs with 4k now and many of them all sell out. And stuff on my wishlist holds its price for a long time. Sometimes never dropping and then eventually just going out of stock. Point is theres clearly a demand and it can be expensive too. Its also frustrating that many releases differ by region, even though 4k discs arent region locked. It does feel like its niche. (4k at least) But I'm sticking with it. Quality is simply better.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
In store:
Dallas Cowboys Eye Roll GIF by ScooterMagruder

ONLINE:
computer rage GIF

Like who does this benefit? Why remove online in particular?
If a product doesn't sell well online, why bother with it. It still costs money to maintain inventory. Free shipping is a cost. Dealing with the game supply chain is a cost.

Personally I went from lets get a PS5 disc version so I can resell the few exclusives I buy for it, to Fuck it, I'm going digital.

Or just drop out of the cesspool that is modern gaming and play retro games until the end.
I hate when people say this and I find it sad.

You would deprive yourself of great experiences just because you can’t have a dumb piece of plastic on a shelf?

Most of my favorite games are older, and I still think the 6th generation of gaming alongside that period of PC gaming is the greatest time of gaming and I highly doubt it will ever be dethroned.

That being said though, I would never deprive myself of stuff like Nier Automata, BoTW/ToTK, Persona 5, and many other modern greats.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Or just drop out of the cesspool that is modern gaming and play retro games until the end.

Or on my biggest video fantasy the major publishers just stay making games for genesis and snes again. Same stories as modern games. Cheaper development and more fun. 🤘

Innoculis

Neo Member
Physical is dead. Deal with it.
The Future is now Old Man.

For those still holding on - have fun buying all your games from shitty online shops like Limited Run.
Tell me you are joking. Good luck with your game licenses being taken away when a publisher decides. It’s already happening.

Set sail and acquire your games by piracy if you are fine with all digital future. This is exactly what the industry wants (more control) and you are feeding right into it.

Just another reason why gaming is getting shittier and shittier these days. From IAP to season passes to zero ownership.

You kids know best though.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The weird thing is, there's lots of steelbook limited runs with 4k now and many of them all sell out. And stuff on my wishlist holds its price for a long time. Sometimes never dropping and then eventually just going out of stock. Point is theres clearly a demand and it can be expensive too. Its also frustrating that many releases differ by region, even though 4k discs arent region locked. It does feel like its niche. (4k at least) But I'm sticking with it. Quality is simply better.
Yep, I buy my favorite movies on 4K when they come out. Usually quality is amazing.

I just don’t get these companies getting out of even online selling. They are asking for Amazon to eat their lunch. Because even online when looking for physical disks you look at other stuff, suggestions, things other people bought and so on.

Personally I think it’s shortsighted of the big box retailers, but especially of BestBuy.

Metnut

If physical media is so dead then how come 90% of PS5 buyers pay the extra $100 for the disc drive version?

If vinyl records are still thriving, then physical games will keep on hanging in too. Digital folks can enjoy paying $70 for year old games and not being able to trade.

Naked Lunch

Tell me you are joking. Good luck with your game licenses being taken away when a publisher decides. It’s already happening.

Set sail and acquire your games by piracy if you are fine with all digital future. This is exactly what the industry wants (more control) and you are feeding right into it.

Just another reason why gaming is getting shittier and shittier these days. From IAP to season passes to zero ownership.

You kids know best though.
My post was cynical sarcasm, sadly.
Ive pretty much given up on modern gaming at this point - and have since unearthed and restored the retro collection ive amassed for the past 40+ years.

I do truly hate Limited Run though - if thats all physical modern gaming diehards have left to stand by - I feel sorry for you.

Mr.Phoenix

I have been digital-only since 2013, and I am all for the convenience of digital. However, I do have one very major gripe.

Digital pricing is daylight robbery.

First off, let's just get this out of the way, right off the bat, a digital download, should be fundamentally, cheaper than a physical purchase. For the simple fact that you are not (1) making/getting a disc and packaging (2) you are not shipping it and (3) it cannot be resold. There simply is no reason that a digital download should cost as much as a physical purchase.

And secondly, how in the world, do physical prices drop, but the digital prices stay the same? Eg. Take FF16 for instance. I have a mental soft cut out of $50 for most games, only a very few do I buy at full price, this usually means I wait a good while before I buy many games digitally at a price I am comfortable paying. You can imagine my dismay when I see a brand new physical game (so that's retailer cut, Sony cut, and third-party pub cut) for $45 on Amazon, and yet, the game is still $70 on the PS store. WTF?????????

I am not asking for too much, at the very least, at times like those at least let the digital game be $50.

It's almost as if Sony/MS are trying to punish you for buying digital. When in truth, it's in their best interest that you do.

I really hope this digital store thing is decentralized. They should allow third-party retailers to be able to stock and sell digital licenses. There are other ways Sony/MS can control what they get what they make from these games without having a monopoly on the distribution of digital content. Eg. Have game tiers... to start, fixed 30% platform cut. Tier 1 $70 game, the platform holder gets a fixed $20. So even if a retailer or publisher wants to sell that game for $30, the platform holder still gets $20. Tier 2 $40/$50 game, platform holder gets a fixed $10/$12 respectively. The same rules apply as above.

Yes, I find all this very annoying.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If physical media is so dead then how come 90% of PS5 buyers pay the extra $100 for the disc drive version?

If vinyl records are still thriving, then physical games will keep on hanging in too. Digital folks can enjoy paying $70 for year old games and not being able to trade.
I got the disc drive version so I could play my old PS4 games + blu ray movies. I haven’t bought a single physical PS5 game (and never inserted a PS4 disc for that matter).

DaGwaphics

If a product doesn't sell well online, why bother with it. It still costs money to maintain inventory. Free shipping is a cost. Dealing with the game supply chain is a cost.

Personally I went from lets get a PS5 disc version so I can resell the few exclusives I buy for it, to Fuck it, I'm going digital.

It's strange the way this can sneak up on you. I was livid about the X1 plans at announcement, 11 years later my complete physical X1/Series disk collection stands at 10 or 11 and everything else is digital.

There is just a convenience factor to it that is hard to ignore. Even though I'm a realist on the issue, hopefully the disks keep being an option (or Flash ROMs).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Physical games suck, they almost have negative value nowadays. Used to be that it was fun to open up a game case. There’d be some cool artwork inside the liner + a manual with backstory, character bios, artwork, etc. The fancy ones would have a full color manual. I still open up my physical PS1 and DS cases sometimes just to look at them.

Now all you get is a flimsy plastic piece of shit with nothing inside but a game disc. And you have to get your ass off the couch to swap games. And it’s not like it saves you anything in return by “having” the game locally, you still have to install the game and download GBs of updates.

Physical games are clearly designed with one goal in mind: to be as cheap as possible to produce. I don’t even want that shit taking up space in my living room. They have already been dead to me for years.

In-store I can understand, precious shelf space.

But Online too? That's a harbinger of bad things.
I guess Direct stores getting launched was the final nail in the coffin. You will be able to get physical for a while still, but nowhere else but the source. Keeping all profits to themselves. The required volume and good deals for any other, practically unnecessary market just died.

Physical is dead. Deal with it.
The Future is now Old Man.

For those still holding on - have fun buying all your games from shitty online shops like Limited Run.
It's not even close. Fuck Target, the second they started removing blu-ray I stopped caring about them.

And even when these huge online retailers stop carrying discs, you'll be able to buy new ones for years and years just like buying vinyl records.

Naked Lunch

It's not even close. Fuck Target, the second they started removing blu-ray I stopped caring about them.

And even when these huge online retailers stop carrying discs, you'll be able to buy new ones for years and years just like buying vinyl records.
Vinyl records cannot, in any way or shape, be compared to modern videogames.
You don't have to download GBs worth of data/patches to play old records.

No - it seems eventually, youll be stuck with one-off companies like Limited Run - who only sell things in limited quantities and tiny time windows. Actually for many games like lower key indie titles or obscure Japanese ports - you already are forced to use LR. Its already happening.

AGRacing

Remember when consoles were really different from each other? Wasn't that cool? I sure loved it.

Stop differentiating at your peril. People come to competitive platforms for their differences not their similarities. I bet Nintendo quietly roots for these changes. “Yes Sony and MS… more and more like a PC is the answer!”

I miss PlayStation 2 and 3.

Don’t worry guys, the next generation of kids (the infants and toddlers) will bring it back in about 20-25 years from now.
Once it’s “cool” again to have physical.

Always remember, Target didn’t sell vinyl until about 10 years ago because now it’s “cool” agin to listen to the lowest quality of recordings for music as possible and round and round we go.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Don’t worry guys, the next generation of kids (the infants and toddlers) will bring it back in about 20-25 years from now.
Once it’s “cool” again to have physical.

Always remember, Target didn’t sell vinyl until about 10 years ago because now it’s “cool” agin to listen to the lowest quality of recordings for music as possible and round and round we go.
Games are nothing like vinyl.

Music is a finished product that doesn’t change over time, whereas all software has bugs and most games get several patches + updates over their lifetime.

The reason someone might buy a vinyl record is because you get this big album art/liner, and because the experience of physically putting on an album + dedicating time to listening one side at a time is different from fucking around with a streaming app on your phone.

And I’d wager most people who collect vinyl also have access to some music streaming service. Vinyl is more about collectible music memorabilia than about getting access to the music on the record.

A record can hold just as many minutes of 2024 music as it could 1974 music, whereas game sizes have grown exponentially and require R&D to develop new physical media to hold them, R&D that nobody wants to waste any money/effort on (lol maybe someone will revive development of HVD someday?)

And of course it means adding more expense/shit that can break to consoles, something that the console manufacturers would be all to happy to abandon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have been digital-only since 2013, and I am all for the convenience of digital. However, I do have one very major gripe.

Digital pricing is daylight robbery.

First off, let's just get this out of the way, right off the bat, a digital download, should be fundamentally, cheaper than a physical purchase. For the simple fact that you are not (1) making/getting a disc and packaging (2) you are not shipping it and (3) it cannot be resold. There simply is no reason that a digital download should cost as much as a physical purchase.

And secondly, how in the world, do physical prices drop, but the digital prices stay the same? Eg. Take FF16 for instance. I have a mental soft cut out of $50 for most games, only a very few do I buy at full price, this usually means I wait a good while before I buy many games digitally at a price I am comfortable paying. You can imagine my dismay when I see a brand new physical game (so that's retailer cut, Sony cut, and third-party pub cut) for $45 on Amazon, and yet, the game is still $70 on the PS store. WTF?????????

I am not asking for too much, at the very least, at times like those at least let the digital game be $50.

It's almost as if Sony/MS are trying to punish you for buying digital. When in truth, it's in their best interest that you do.

I really hope this digital store thing is decentralized. They should allow third-party retailers to be able to stock and sell digital licenses. There are other ways Sony/MS can control what they get what they make from these games without having a monopoly on the distribution of digital content. Eg. Have game tiers... to start, fixed 30% platform cut. Tier 1 $70 game, the platform holder gets a fixed $20. So even if a retailer or publisher wants to sell that game for $30, the platform holder still gets $20. Tier 2 $40/$50 game, platform holder gets a fixed $10/$12 respectively. The same rules apply as above.

Yes, I find all this very annoying.
I agree.

But the one counter you'll get from $70 gamer and company supporters is that game budgets are big now, so they need to charge more despite it being a bits and bytes download.

Trogdor1123

I guess I better start buying some old school stuff. I’m literally all digital now but I don’t want it to only be that way. We have seen the crap companies get away with (did that crew thing ever get figured out?) and I’d rather not have those issues. Maybe more gig stuff as you can play those even offline, right?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's the complete opposite. Physical movies have dropped 28% in the US just YoY. Physical games have only dropped in the low single digits YoY.

Yeah, I just have a feeling as more consoles drop disk drives etc that we will see a harsher drop.

Props to sony and nintendo users by keeping physical alive. I'm gonna hold on as long as possible. But, I buy 4k movies too.

The day physical media is discontinued I'll turn to retro and play the collection I have. Fuck the all digital future and above all, fuck subscription and rental services.
what's the beef with rental? When I was a kid, literally nothing beat having my parents take me to Blockbuster to rent an N64 game I would never be able to convince my parents to buy for $60. Renting was how I played more than half of my favorite N64 games.

Go to any local target store now, their physical game selection is almost always empty or barren. This has been ongoing for the last few months and I noticed it after holiday 2023.
Well, that actually makes sense. Typical sell-outs over the holiday season/ Christmas >Nintendo is in the midst of a platform transition > Nintendo possibly re-printing certain Switch games at a lower MSRP but that's not final yet > digital media is replacing physical, no question > Nintendo physical is the bulk of all physical game sales anymore.

tr1p1ex

doubt this is true. they still sell cds at target. Seems too early for Nintendo to abandon physical yet.

but at the same time, we all know physical media is not long for the world. Pcgaming has been all digital for ~15 years. MObile gaming is all digital.

And we know buying a game at Target or Walmart is a pain in the ass.

Last edited:
doubt this is true. they still sell cds at target. Seems too early for Nintendo to abandon physical yet.

but at the same time, we all know physical media is not long for the world. Pcgaming has been all digital for ~15 years. MObile gaming is all digital.

And we know buying a game at Target or Walmart is a pain in the ass.
I haven't seen CDs at Targets in MI for a few years now. They do keep an endcap in Electronics for vinyl, but that's a consistent/ vibrant category again, albeit fairly niche.

Top Bottom