• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Google plans to launch a new Chromebook Pixel & mini version of Google Home

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Supposedly launching alongside the new Pixel phones.

Laptop:

At this time, we don't have any specifications for this laptop. However, it seems likely that it was born out of Google's mysterious Project Bison, which we exclusively detailed last year (and, at the time, was scheduled for a Q3 2017 launch). The big difference? Our source is confident that this Pixel will be branded a Chromebook, while Project Bison was originally intended to run a highly-modified version of Android known internally as Andromeda.

Unfortunately, our source is unable to confirm if this is, in fact, the same laptop. We know that Bison was intended as a serious competitor to Apple's MacBook and Microsoft's Surface Pro, with a 12.3" screen, 32 or 128GB of storage, 8 or 16GB of RAM, and an optional Wacom stylus that would be sold separately. Google intended for Bison to be under 10mm thick, and feature a "tablet" mode. We guessed at the time this would be similar in form to the ASUS Chromebook Flip line of laptops, allowing the screen to be rotated a full 360-degrees, making it a true "convertible." We're still not sure what exactly it means.

Mini Google Home:

The second product we've heard will be launched at the event is a miniature version of Google Home. We don't have a price point or really any understanding of the smaller Home's feature set or dimensions. Given the massive popularity of Amazon's Echo Dot, a smaller, cheaper version of Google Home only makes sense. While at $129 I would say Home is fairly reasonably, if you want to fill your house with voice command interfaces, it's easy to see how that could get expensive pretty fast.

nampad

Hope the Chromebook is priced reasonably like the new Samsung ones and that it will be released in Europe. Somehow, Chromebooks are dead here and we don't get the flagship models, we only et overpriced mediocre ones.

I don't need a Macbook competitor for 1000 bucks out of a Chromebook.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hope it's attractive again

06chromebookpixel-2015.jpg

I really want to like Google's hardware but it seems that I inevitably end up buying Samsung as Google always fucks it up somehow.

:(

Do you mean their phones? Google doesn't make them.

Man, $799, so out of my reach :(

I really love Chromebooks, but I have to settle... I got some old laptops and installed Cloudready on them and they are almost Chromebooks; like 90% of the way there so it is an acceptable compromise. Especially since I need more than one as the kids need them for school.I don't think Cloudready will be getting Android support any time soon (if ever) though :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm all for a nicer version of a Chromebook, but that means $400-$500 vs $200-$300.

You're crazy to pay Chromebook Pixel like pricing.

Top Bottom