• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor][Grain of Salt] Sony might be working on a new PlayStation handheld that can run PS4 titles

You see, I never really understood this train of thought...
You may not own a tablet
It's more convenient to have the controllers attached (what if you are on a bus, in a car, lying in bed)
Most other gaming handhelds have awful ergonomics on the controller side of things
Here you get not just the ergonomics but also ALL of the features of the dual sense
As for streaming, yeh, it's a companion device for the PS5, it's always been marketed as that, which, by the way, will be forward compatible with the PS5 Pro and PS6

So is it lazy/low effort or is it really smart design choices? (Hint: it's the latter, obviously)
Yup. I thought the portal was stupid when it was first announced. But using it and seeing how it feels is a must have if you game on away from home.

Ive owned a switch since launch and my gaming on that thing has been like 95% docked. I just can't imagine someone playing something like ToTK via handheld. It really just seems like an indie/ platformer machine. Also tried PS streaming to my phone and nothing was really fun to play that way, outside of balatro. When messing with the portal, EVERYTHING was good to play on it. It just straight up feels like I'm playing with my dual sense at home. My only minor complaint is the thumb sticks are a little small. Not really sure why Sony did that.

Banjo64

cumsessed
As much as I like the idea, Sony will never support it fully as they will continue to on their current path with home console game budgets, an emphasis on graphics and ‘narrative’. This would just be sent out to die vs a Switch 2.

Lunarorbit

What is the portal chopped liver?

Guess this is more of a steam deck device. Wake me up when they figure out the cell architecture

Bernoulli

M2 slut
As much as I like the idea, Sony will never support it fully as they will continue to on their current path with home console game budgets, an emphasis on graphics and ‘narrative’. This would just be sent out to die vs a Switch 2.
if the industry changes they can't push more graphics for the PS6, modern graphics games are too expensive to make now

midnightAI

I think the idea of this is so that you don't have to create specific software for it. (I'm not buying the 'cut down PS5 software' part of post, I think it will be PS4 native or PS5 streaming)

Banjo64

cumsessed
if the industry changes they can't push more graphics for the PS6, modern graphics games are too expensive to make now
I think the opposite, as 8k adaption is on the floor and 4k is firmly the consumers choice, I think next console gen is the one where massive strides will actually be made graphically as the resource intensive resolution chasing can finally stop.

I think the idea of this is so that you don't have to create specific software for it. (I'm not buying the 'cut down PS5 software' part of post, I think it will be PS4 native or PS5 streaming)
Wouldn’t be enough IMO. Sony would need to have studios dedicated to making great games for this thing.

2Ff3JWS.jpeg

midnightAI

Wouldn’t be enough IMO. Sony would need to have studios dedicated to making great games for this thing.
Nah, that won't happen, no need to either, as you can see from Portal, and this will most likely be a Portal Pro, same thing + PS4 native, maybe OLED screen.

Admittedly I would be in the market for this. Considering I havent touched my ps4 in months and have been wholly addicted to the steamdeck, it would give me an excuse to pick up sony gaming again. BUT it better be hardware locked to 30hz and have a 1 inch bezel lol

Also the concept of having patches to downgrade the games is humorous

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If developers need to specifically account for it and dedicate resources towards making games for it then it's a disaster in the making.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hard sell in a world where Steam Deck exists, specially considering many Sony first party games have released on PC as well.

SD has been so successful that we have come to the point where we have new PC handheld releasing every few months now.

Too little too late. Just like consoles, locked down handhelds have been made redundant by the open PC landscape. Even with great performance at $399, I'd still stick with what's already available.
Yeah and those open PC based handhelds do a fantastic job of fully emulating PS4 games without glitches or framedrops. Ohhhhhh wait............ THey don't.

Its an entirely different ecosystem. Is it that hard to understand? I'd love to see you ran Gran Turismo 7 or any other PS4 only title on a Steamdeck/ Ally/ Claw. YOU CANT.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

dead. needs to play ps5 games too or i could give a flip

The only way to do a handheld right is to have it support all games going forward.

Introduce it with ps6.

All ps6 games require support. PS5/4 titles patched based on demand

A ps4 only handheld is a dumb idea because nobody is making ps4 games anymore
I’m appalled that there are people on a gaming forum proposing parity with PS5 or even scale down PS6 titles on a handheld device. Not everyone has to be a tech head but, c’mon… get a grip!

This is an informed assumption

lol no, you just made it up.

SF6 runs at 1440p 60fps on PS4 Pro, with a worse CPU that what the Switch 2 will bring to the table. Nobody going to care that it looks a smidge better on a higher spec Sony handheld when it launches at 60fps on the Switch 2.

Won't be the only game that looks and runs better.

But most third party games will show up on Switch 2, including ports of Xbox games.
Additionally, all these games are targeting PC handhelds too.

Another baseless assumption

Or you could remember the last time they went Head to head in handheld and the 3ds outsold the Vita despite being significantly weaker.

The Vita sold decently, boosted by no competition on the ‘high end’ of handheld gaming.

Any Sony handheld now will not have that luxury of limited competition at the high end.

Sony stopped supporting the Vita because they needed to focus software development on the PS3 and PS4. You can keep ignoring this reality all you want but it doesn't change it.

Switch 2 will have backward compatibility with Switch, and will be a very attractive target for 3rd party games going forward.

Only one of those would launch with Mario Kart so…

Not if it is too expensive to sell in high quantities. You never answered why the 3ds sold so much less than the 2ds and if you did, you would know why Mario Kart may struggle to push units.

Klosshufvud

Yeah and those open PC based handhelds do a fantastic job of fully emulating PS4 games without glitches or framedrops. Ohhhhhh wait............ THey don't.

Its an entirely different ecosystem. Is it that hard to understand? I'd love to see you ran Gran Turismo 7 or any other PS4 only title on a Steamdeck/ Ally/ Claw. YOU CANT.
I mean only a select few PS4 only titles exist of note now. GT7, BB and GR2 are the three last big ones. But the actual PS4 games ported to PC run great on handhelds. In fact, GoT gives you way better performance on Ally than PS4. Games like Helldivers 2, GoW, HFW and Spider-Man also run great on those PC handhelds and with better performance than PS4. And let's not forget access to a full PC library too.

I think regardless it's faulty to assume that PS owners are somehow incapable of adapting to a different ecosystem. I would bet a good portion of PS5 owners either also own a decent PC or a Switch or maybe an Xbox.

Woopah

This is an informed assumption

SF6 runs at 1440p 60fps on PS4 Pro, with a worse CPU that what the Switch 2 will bring to the table. Nobody going to care that it looks a smidge better on a higher spec Sony handheld when it launches at 60fps on the Switch 2.

But most third party games will show up on Switch 2, including ports of Xbox games.
Additionally, all these games are targeting PC handhelds too.

Or you could remember the last time they went Head to head in handheld and the 3ds outsold the Vita despite being significantly weaker.

The Vita sold decently, boosted by no competition on the ‘high end’ of handheld gaming.

Any Sony handheld now will not have that luxury of limited competition at the high end.

Switch 2 will have backward compatibility with Switch, and will be a very attractive target for 3rd party games going forward.

Only one of those would launch with Mario Kart so…
If this is a device which can play most games on the PS4 and the PS5, then it isn't relying on Sony and third parties to make specific software for it.

That already puts it in a much better position than the Vita.

RaySoft

Too little too late. Just like consoles, locked down handhelds have been made redundant by the open PC landscape. Even with great performance at $399, I'd still stick with what's already available.
Yeah.. And Sony's strategy with releasing PC ports doesn't really cater for a new "PS4" handheld.

Ozriel

M$FT
Do people honestly think a Switch 2 will be the equivalent of a PS5/XSX? So why would that be a problem for a new PS portable?

A PS Portable released in the next few years wouldn’t be anywhere near equivalent to a PS5/XSX too, would it?

Stop acting like a new Sony handheld will have a hard time competing with this:
steam-deck-annual-sales-volumes-global-m.png

Nearly a third of the lifetime Vita sales happened in Japan, and it sold quite a decent amount of units by being the perfect JRPG and indie machine. A new handheld would be crushed under the Switch 2 in Japan, and it’s hard to imagine it having better JRPG and indie support than a next gen Switch.

you can’t also bet on Valve not ramping up availability and retail channels for a Steamdeck 2.

Ozriel

M$FT
If this is a device which can play most games on the PS4 and the PS5, then it isn't relying on Sony and third parties to make specific software for it.

That already puts it in a much better position than the Vita.

I don't see how an ARM handheld to be released in the next few years will run PS5 games out of the box, but you're welcome to show me .

W11d

A PS Portable released in the next few years wouldn’t be anywhere near equivalent to a PS5/XSX too, would it?

Nearly a third of the lifetime Vita sales happened in Japan, and it sold quite a decent amount of units by being the perfect JRPG and indie machine. A new handheld would be crushed under the Switch 2 in Japan, and it’s hard to imagine it having better JRPG and indie support than a next gen Switch.

you can’t also bet on Valve not ramping up availability and retail channels for a Steamdeck 2.
It doesn't need to beat Switch 2. Selling better than ps5 in Japan would be enough to expand the ecosystem

Ogbert

I’ll buy any handheld, but it doesn’t really make sense.

The Steam Deck will have hoovered up any PC players that want to play PS games, so they’ve already got a diminished market.

Would need new games.

Skeptical.

nial

It's not like DS' enormous success over there stopped PSP getting a respectable piece of the market. Did you forget that 3DS was also huge over there?
Even doing PS3 and PS4 (and soon PS5) numbers would be much better than Vita.

nial

BTW, I find ridiculous to have these PC handhelds into conversation. They are not mass market devices, how much marketing and R&D budget Asus spent on ROG Ally? The fact that it launched with a ton of issues doesn't help at all.
Sony gaming division is really clueless and just reactive these days.
As much as they were in 2001 when they started development on PSP?

Last edited:
Top Bottom