• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Inside Gaming: Lower-priced, Kinect-less Xbox One coming summer 2014

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You would be daft to not believe they have something like this ready in case kinect 2 fails this year

More likely it will than won't

ReaperXL7

But I thought MS said the Kinect was essential to how the Xbox One functions?That the console just would not work without the device? The more they backpeddle on this shit the weaker it makes their "vision" for this box look.

I doubt this is true until MS confirms it themselves, but it just continues to look like whatever plan MS had in place for the Bone is flimsy at best.

Yeah I have been calling it since they reversed the DRM. Everything is on the cards after that and removing Kinect and selling at $100 or more cheaper is a no brainer.

Hattori

Banned
Sounds like a really bad idea. They should implement this now, because if I was an early adopter I would feel very ripped off getting stuck with an accessory that will eventually thrown to the wayside and not supported due to sku fragmentation. MS is really in tough spot, but I think they should swallow their pride and just drop the mandatory kinect. The people who want what the kinect offers will purchase it no matter what anyways.

As others have said, seems extremely unlikely.

I could see a Kinectless SKU being at least feasible but another with a smaller HDD? 500 GB seems pretty bare bones considering their push for digital, in addition to the rampant amounts of DLC we see now. I can't imagine going into next generation with a smaller HDD than 500 GB.

Why would MS do this though? Wouldn't it make sense to try to please everyone at launch to get a head start? I mean, if they can do this, why wait? Then again the yield issues might mean they can't even make hardly enough of one SKU at the moment.

Are yield issues for certain at this point? Not trying to derail the thread by any means but this article posted today seems to suggest that the Xbox One could actually outship the PS4.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-23-xbox-one-could-outship-ps4-3-to-1-this-year

NeoUltima

I'm not even sure MS would know if they were going to do that yet. It would all depend on how sales shake out this holiday.

I wouldn't be surprised, they dropped the price of OG Xbox six months after release. I sure wouldn't be happy though if I were an early adopter.

Gorillaz

Its obvious they will lower the price
Its obvious it was going to be some time after the spring

But like 3 skus a year after launch? Ehhh....

MS said years ago that Kinect would be a huge piece of their 360 successor. I don't see this happening so soon. They've already done enough 180s as it is.

And Sony could just shrink the HDD space as well, production costs will have dropped, and the PS4 gets a price drop at the same time the Xbox does. That's competition....

Not Gonna Happen.

1. Kinect turns the system on and Off (there will be however a switch on the back that will completely power down the system)

2. There is no guide button on the Controller. Kinect is how you interface with the Xbone's OS's

What a laughable rumor. It makes no sense.

You would be daft to not believe they have something like this ready in case kinect 2 fails this year

More likely it will than won't

What would they need to have "ready"? If sales are bad they'll just release a sku without Kinect, and drop the price $100. It's not like this would take a year of planning.

As others have said, seems extremely unlikely.

I could see a Kinectless SKU being at least feasible but another with a smaller HDD? 500 GB seems pretty bare bones considering their push for digital, in addition to the rampant amounts of DLC we see now. I can't imagine going into next generation with a smaller HDD than 500 GB.

Are yield issues for certain at this point? Not trying to derail the thread by any means but this article posted today seems to suggest that the Xbox One could actually outship the PS4.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-23-xbox-one-could-outship-ps4-3-to-1-this-year

Mr Sebastian has made some pretty hilarious claims in the past, so much so that a thread about the link you posted was already locked today.

calder

I think there's zero chance MS, or anyone else, would have a plan for a new SKU that different a full year into the future. It makes no sense.

Kyon

Banned
Not gonna happen.

Not after all the resources and money put into it.

Plus you still need the Kinect on for it to work

AdvanS13

Neo Member
Finally giving people what they want: an Xbox 360 II.
Has a competing console ever deterred from its original design because it was negatively received pre launch?

Seems like a huge move. Sending mix messages. Drm, no drm. All kinect or optional kinect.

Why would MS do this though? Wouldn't it make sense to try to please everyone at launch to get a head start? I mean, if they can do this, why wait? Then again the yield issues might mean they can't even make hardly enough of one SKU at the moment.

Early adopters will buy shit in a can and think they got something cool.

MarkusRJR

I would love that to be the case, but I don't think they would. I can imagine the outrage from launch owners who had to spend an extra hundred dollars.

I smell bull, didn't a certified xbox one developer on reddit say that the kinect cost almost as much as the console itself? How the hell can it be $400 without kinect and a smaller hdd?

EDIT: Oh i see...less than $400 soooo about $250-$300 then?

Has a competing console ever deterred from its original design because it was negatively received pre launch?

Seems like a huge move. Sending mix messages. Drm, no drm. All kinect or optional kinect.

It seems like Microsoft are having trouble discerning from which shit people will eat and which shit they will not.

If it did happen, all the public would see is two XBone skus. One with Kinect, one without. There is absolutely nothing to be confused about. They've had like 10(or however many) over the course of the 360.

Of course, this means everyone will get confused anyway for some random reason.

If the console bombs you better believe they'll drop Kinect to save the xbox business. No matter what they say they will cave if sales dont meet expectations. I mean come on they did the xbox 180 after E3 bad press. Actual bad sales would send them reeling

Nibiru

Banned
If they were even open to this they would have a Kinect free one at launch at a cheaper price to step on PS4's cheaper price point.

Joco

I don't agree with the people saying this would be a stupid move. Sony has a $100 price advantage over the X1, if Microsoft wants to be able to match PS4 sales within the first year they're going to need a lower-priced SKU. If they're smart (and that's a big if), they'll realize Kinect doesn't appeal to everyone and they'll go through with this.

I don't believe it. Also, IF it is true, their level of backtracking is just bad. It sets a an even poorer precedence for their policies going forward.

I would think that MS values the bundling of Kinect with all systems a lot more than this article is suggesting.

I just can't see them putting out a Kinect-less SKU so soon. Maybe in 2015.

I2amza

If we take what that X-One dev said in Reddit about the Kinect costing almost the same as the console, this kinect-less SKU better be slashed by a good damn amount. Not just $100.

def sim

They should either guarantee a Kinect on every device or have a more affordable system at launch. Removing it the following year is the worst choice. I'm not sold on Kinect, but it's the one thing differentiating it as a console from the PS4.

Top Bottom