• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Marvel vs Capcom Infinite roster leaked

V-Faction

Before, if you had asked me "What if they just slap some new paint on the MvC3 character models and import them, animations and all, into MvCI", I'd been livid. I'd tell you how lazy and low-budget that would be.

Now? I'D TAKE EVEN THAT. I can't believe so many character are cut, especially from the Capcom side. Christ, and the DLC ones probably won't be returning characters either (which would be in bad taste if you ask me) A dozen characters with Moves, Animations, Mechanics, all that.

Jawmuncher

Well people say this for every game so it isn't anything new. It sucks that even the Capcom and FGC fans don't care that much for the roster though so that hurts. Capcom is never gonna do stuff on the level of NRS and ArcSy so that sucks too.

Edit: This fuck "vs Capcom" slander needs to stop.

Yeah the capcom side is the main appeal to me, so seeing this sucks if true. I can understand the Marvel statements though. If you aren't going to go that interesting with capcom side, I can feel why people are just going "drop it"

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The Marvel side flat out sucks....WTF...other than Captain America I don't give a shit about any of the rest

Capcom side only half good

If this is real I don't give a crap about this game at all not that it looked that interesting to begin with looks like I'm gonna be playing MVC1 and TVC forever and ever.

JimiNutz

Banned
it really should have been an Ij2 style Marvel game with a big focus on solo content

disney needs to get their shit together with these games mandates

Yeah this is exactly what I wanted.
A Marvel only game with a load of SP player content. If this game doesn't outsell Ij2 then Marvel/Capcom need to look at doing a Marvel only game with a large amount of single player content next...

I like Marvel and DC, and with this title I see the Marvel fan in me is just getting objectively less than the DC fan in me gets with Injustice. Marvel is leaving money on the table allowing this "vs. Capcom" shit to continue. I think it's time Marvel reaches out to ArcSys and see if they're up to the task.
ArcSys is niche. Disney is not going after niche studios to handle their IPs. It was either gonna be this or give it to EA to make a sequel to Imperfects.
It better be the right Dante

126081iD19F2173C1FD091B

Of course. Much like RE7 Chris, Creating DmC Dante would require new assets. Capcom ain't got money and time to do that.

Jezan

Whoops all Marvel top tiers are missing. :p

This looks boring , why did they remove Capcom characters form 3?
At least Chun is back :)

I can't believe T'Challa isn't in this. The hell are they thinking?

They're thinking we are all gonna cough up that money for DLC to get our faves.

Extremely disappointed in the roster. Even considering we knew they were going to bring a ton of characters over from MvC3 and I already expected the base roster to be a lower number than others. They still managed to let me down

I know I'm part of the problem, because I'm still gonna buy the game and most if not all of the DLC. I've waited this long to get X (and Sigma) in this series and it finally happened, but wow I never imagined i would ever be this deflated for a MvC game

This is the exact opposite feeling of the teases, leaks, lead up and reveals for MvC3. Take me for a ride indeed

shaowebb

Before, if you had asked me "What if they just slap some new paint on the MvC3 character models and import them, animations and all, into MvCI", I'd been livid. I'd tell you how lazy and low-budget that would be.

Now? I'D TAKE EVEN THAT. I can't believe so many character are cut, especially from the Capcom side. Christ, and the DLC ones probably won't be returning characters either (which would be in bad taste if you ask me) A dozen characters with Moves, Animations, Mechanics, all that.

And thats why I think this list is damage control on predicted backlash for stuff they plan. Now you WOULD take even that. You'd be hyped for it so long as any of the popular cast were on that list of reused dudes.

Thats why I think this list is fake. It flips reactions on a heavily reused asset title from poor to good. If you know you aint gonna have a lot to work with you gotta find a way to market it so that people like it better. This feels like marketing a "brighter future" than this list to me.

And thats why I think this list is damage control on predicted backlash for stuff they plan. Now you WOULD take even that. You'd be hyped for it so long as any of the popular cast were on that list of reused dudes.

Thats why I think this list is fake. It flips reactions on a heavily reused asset title from poor to good. If you know you aint gonna have a lot to work with you gotta find a way to market it so that people like it better. This feels like marketing a "brighter future" than this list to me.

It was leaked by Ryce who's been right about numerous leaks surrounding MvC games. And honestly it's believable after seeing UMVC3 Chris being in this game with an unchanged moveset.

BRYCKER

Can someone pull an ELI5 and explain to me why, that which each MvC entry on each console they don't keep the exact same roster as the last entry and keep adding on...?

Licensing issues? It can't be disc space limitations.

Can someone pull an ELI5 and explain to me why, that which each MvC entry on each console they don't keep the exact same roster as the last entry and keep adding on...?

MvC2 was an anomaly. It was supposed to be the last game with the Marvel license so they threw in a whole bunch of characters because they had sprites already made without regard to balance. So it had 50+ characters. With MvC3, they were starting over with 3D models, so it would take time to make 50 characters. For Infinite? Iunno.

Xpliskin

I can see why they want to cut down the roster, more focused balance changes and a smaller roster to handle to begin with.

As people pointed out, it didn't work out well for SFV.

SgtCobra

The fact that it includes BOTH Arthur and Firebrand has me suspect it. It's one thing to have Arthur but 2 GnG reps is a very odd direction to take.
Exactly, except if they're planning to do a sequel of some sorts. But even then, why would they? GnG never really set the world on fire.
Then there's also Dead Rising which they're constantly trying to shove down our throats, the 4th iteration underperformed Capcom, take the hint.

It was leaked by Ryce who's been right about numerous leaks surrounding MvC games. And honestly it's believable after seeing UMVC3 Chris being in this game with an unchanged moveset.

Yes, but everything around the leak is still strange.

Ryce had to be quiet for months after giving a hint about a single character. He wasn't able to say much else after the media information in April, either.

Now he's given the go ahead to leak the entire roster weeks before E3.

Am I the only one that finds this to be odd?

it really should have been an Ij2 style Marvel game with a big focus on solo content

disney needs to get their shit together with these games mandates

if they wanted a solo focus, why make it a fighting game? A musou clone or project x zone with marvel characters would be more suited to solo focus, lol.

Reused sprites with no balances changes are easy to drop in compared to 3D models, Marvel doesn't want to give the X-Men and F4 any exposure, and Capcom are no longer risk takers when it comes to their franchises.
Yes, but everything around the leak is still strange.

Ryce had to be quiet for months after giving a hint about a single character. He wasn't able to say much else after the media information in April, either.

Now he's given the go ahead to leak the entire roster weeks before E3.

Am I the only one that finds this to be odd?
With the exception of RE7, everything Capcom is doing now is odd.

I can see why they want to cut down the roster, more focused balance changes and a smaller roster to handle to begin with.

As people pointed out, it didn't work out well for SFV.
I think budget and getting the game out the door was the reason for the smaller roster,not balance.

I think the sad thing about the rosters is that the Marvel side highlights a multi-billion dollar cinematic universe while the Capcom side highlights several dead franchises that only live on thanks to Versus games.

evangd007

Because Marvel decided to help promote characters they have the film rights to. Since Contest of Champions, any Marvel game released had no X-Men/FF characters. Though since the end of 2016 that's changed and they are starting to embrace those characters again.

Wolverine and Deadpool will more than likely be DLC for next year.

Did they settle the royalty dispute with Fox? I had heard that Fox was entitled to royalties on any products containing characters they had rights to, which was part of the reason why Disney locked them out.

Judging from this roster and the debacle that is Street Fighter V's business model, I expect there to be tons of DLC. Who is ready for the Spider-Verse DLC, featuring Venom, Spider-Gwen*, and Miles Morales* for $15?

*Gwen and Miles are each a skin/voice pack for Spider-Man.

Reused sprites with no balances changes are easy to drop in compared to 3D models, Marvel doesn't want to give the X-Men and F4 any exposure, and Capcom are no longer risk taker when it comes to their franchises.

With the exception of RE7, everything Capcom is doing now is odd.

Can't disagree there.

I'll always remember how excited I got reading this:

GC: Yeah, actually let's do that. But some basic questions you might be able to allude to... I'm sure you won't say how many characters there are going to be in total, but are we looking at a similar figure to the last game? [Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 launched with 36 characters – GC]

ME: We can't say at this time, but we do have 14 characters announced today and then obviously until September 19th we still have a lot of time. We have many more announcements coming. But I can't say about the final number.

GC: So you're not ruling out it being disappointingly low? [laughs]

ME: [laughs] It won't be disappointing!

GC: When this was first announced some fans theorised that the Marvel characters would only include those that Marvel has the cinematic rights to. That is the case so far, but is that going to be true for the whole game?

ME: No...

GC: It's nothing to be ashamed of, if it's all down to the lawyers.

ME: Totally, totally. No, but it's not. And if Marvel were here they would answer as I'm going to. It's not based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe. We take a lot of inspiration from the cinematic universe, but the game is a completely original universe.

Fucking Capcom.

Did they settle the royalty dispute with Fox? I had heard that Fox was entitled to royalties on any products containing characters they had rights to, which was part of the reason why Disney locked them out.

No Disney/Marvel has all rights to all their characters when it comes to merchandise. They just choose to promote characters they have the film rights to.

Judging from this roster and the debacle that is Street Fighter V's business model, I expect there to be tons of DLC. Who is ready for the Spider-Verse DLC, featuring Venom, Spider-Gwen*, and Miles Morales* for $15?

Fox only gets movie money. Marvel still holds everything else.

Gwen wouldn't be a the same model because she's a female :p
Edit: Fox never made money off these games. Not sure why people think that now.

Even if I get over how disappointing the Capcom side is (which I won't, screw them for not including Gene and Asura), the Marvel side is not much better either.

Like, really? No Dardevil, no Black Panther, no Black widow and no fucking Punisher....? Not even the freaking Ghost Rider? Not a single rep from their numerous TV shows? Really?

Pejo

Gold Member
I hope this is just a fake rumor, but it sounds real.

+
Monster Hunter could be fun, glad Dante, X, and Jedah could be in.

-
Where's Amaterasu? Where's Star Lord? Where's Asura? Why is Spencer in it again?

I probably am going to catch flak for this, but I wish they'd just say "fuck balance" like MvC2 and bring out a ton of characters and casualize the hell out of it. At least then we'd get a lot more favorites in the game and maybe some online longevity.

Even if I get over how disappointing the Capcom side is (which I won't, screw them for not including Gene and Asura), the Marvel side is not much better either.

Like, really? No Dardevil, no Black Panther, no Black widow and no fucking Punisher....? Not even the freaking Ghost Rider? Not a single rep from their numerous TV shows? Really?

The TV shows are a separate division of Marvel from the movies. The shows think they're apart of the MCU but the movies don't reference any of them.

Quick let's look at the characters that nobody will play after the opening unless they made some OP ass changes to them

Arthur
Chun-Li
Firebrand
Monster Hunter
Nemesis
Ryu

Captain America
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Hulk
Ultron

THAT'S LIKE HALF THE ROSTER

Quick let's look at the characters that nobody will play after the opening unless they made some OP ass changes to them

Arthur
Chun-Li
Firebrand
Monster Hunter
Nemesis
Ryu

Captain America
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Hulk
Ultron

I'm pretty sure people will play Ultron

RK128

Going to be frank here; the roster is a massive step down from UMvC3. I mean...we got 50 characters that blended all kinds of genres. The only real omissions (for me) was Mega Man/Mega Man X missing and even then, you could get a X costume for Zero via DLC. The current roster of MvC:I just looks safe.

No X-Men/FF4 is reasonable, considering DLC is likely going to add them back in. But the omissions from the Capcom side and the lack of Netflx/TV Marvel characters? Seems really damn stupid. Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Daredevil would be amazing additions to the roster.

Capcom losing out on Cover Studios characters is a shame too :'(. But you know what? Just like with SFV, you can pick up the better deal already; the predecessor. UMvC3 is on PSN and XBL with all the DLC included. So I will just get UMvC3 at some point for my PS4 and ignore MvC:I until it lowers in price in the future.

I'm wondering through, is the small roster due to rushed development? Or the fact they have to re-build assets/moves/animations again? It seemed that they pulled from a lot of assets in UMvC3 in early trailers for MvC:I (specifically, Iron Man and Cap. America). So, if that isn't the case, then they are rebuilding things from scratch. Sucks, but hey. The original is playable, so just get that if this roster isn't good.

And who knows? This could be wrong or more characters could be announced NOT on the list! ....Just being hopeful saying that though :l.

Yet it goes out of its way to mention Venom as DLC.

You seem to misunderstand the point of me updating the op. As the two leakers give us more info about the final base roster and any unconfirmed dlc they know is coming I'm adding it. It's why I say "sigma confirmed, venom is leaked" when discussing the dlc.

Bizazedo

Arthur
Chun-Li
Firebrand
Monster Hunter
Nemesis
Ryu

Captain America
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Hulk
Ultron

Crazy talk. People will play over half the Marvel ones you listed.

Unless they are ass, same with your Capcom list. People would play Nemesis if he wasn't garbage in Ultimate.

The roster is tame / boring, I agree, but it's fine if the game is good and as it's 2vs2, 28 +6 characters is fine.

I suppose they technically didn't lie since Nova isn't part of the MCU.

It still really sucks though.
The Nova Corps are in Guardians and Nova might appear in Infinity War.

Arthur
Chun-Li
Firebrand
Monster Hunter
Nemesis
Ryu

Captain America
Captain Marvel
Gamora
Hulk
Ultron

I can see some people using Ultron, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Chun-Li, and Arthur.

Number_6

No Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Black Panther, She-Hulk, Deadpool, Taskmaster, Doom? No Zero, Wesker, Ammy?

Probably going to follow SFV seasons model?

No buy!

I'm pretty sure people will play Ultron

He's the only one off that list I could see getting play

Crazy talk. People will play over half the Marvel ones you listed.

Nobody freaking plays Cap or Hulk in 3, I don't see them getting enough changes for it to matter much

Same with the Capcom crew, they all suck

I can see some people using Ultron, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Chun-Li, and Arthur.

Ain't nobody gonna use Underwear Boy

I used to say the only company that can do justice to the Marvel IP is Capcom. Don't know what to say after this anymore.

This might be a crazy idea but I'd like to see Marvel get in bed with Sega again. No VF6? All right, give me Marvel's Injustice instead. Don't know if that team is still around though.

V-Faction

This basically feels like MvC3 not having Cyclops and Mega Man 100x. Like, yeah, the roster came together on its own after a while, but choices felt weird at the start (Super-Skrull and Doom, but no FF or SS; She-Hulk but no Daredevil; no Venom; Hsien-Ko over literally any other Darkstalker; Joe and Ammy but no Gene; Haggar by himself; Captain Commando missing).

But then again, the VS. Series has always felt a bit... random. Like only having Thor and Arthur as Assists. Or War Machine over Iron Man. Silver Samurai? Bone Claws AND Regular Claws. Zero never showing up till later. It's never been locked into one definitive set mold, like you might find with a DC property (Which will ALWAYS have Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc.) or MK (Scorpion, Raiden Sub-Zero, etc.)

Bizazedo

Nobody freaking plays Cap or Hulk in 3, I don't see them getting enough changes for it to matter much

Same with the Capcom crew, they all suck
KaneBlueRiver? You know, the Evo champ?

That Mexican dude in top 8 with MODOK also used Cap.

You're just wrong.

The problems with the roster are variety, not those individuals.

Top Bottom