• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Marvel vs Capcom Infinite roster leaked

I'm not really big on the concept for putting in female characters to fill a quota, but this is still *really* slim pickings. I don't even feel like they ones they picked are really good choices either and it sucks because they honestly did have some really cool female characters who would have been great to see in the game like Black Widow.

I would've been pissed if Black Widow was in it over Storm, Scarlet Witch, Ms. Marvel, Phoenix, or other interesting Marvel women.

Dremark

Banned
That is what the current roster is right now every major franchise player from both companies even Monster Hunter. The only exceptions are on Capcoms side and Nova(unless it's kid Nova). Adding dead clover studio franchises to the game isn't gonna produce major sales.

Sorry I must have blanked out and not noticed all those super successful Bionic Commando games that have been coming out between MVC and now.

We're talking specifically about one of the designers keeping a character in because he personally likes him rather than the roster as a whole right now. Interesting how you try putting words in my mouth though, I don't think that putting any of those Clover characters are a good idea unless they have an indication that the fans want them, and if we're just talking about personal preference I'd much rather have Spencer than any of them.

If Peter is going to make decisions based on his own personal preferences, that's on him. Maybe the other posters were wrong and there was some data they had that indicated he was popular or maybe they felt that he was needed in the roster, but if he just put him in because that's what he wanted it's pretty unprofessional.

If you want to talk about the overall I've said in other posts that I don't think sticking with mainstream MCU picks are a bad idea, I just think they ended up with a lot of boring ones.

Hopefully it ends up being more interesting than it currently looks, I'd much rather have this game be enjoyable and successful than a failure.

kunonabi

in all fighting games, i see a lot of players who only play female characters. with only 4 in MvCI's roster, that's gonna suck.

Yeah, I play a ton of females but I got really lucky with this supposed roster since both Gamora and Captain Marvel made it in. Most of my other favorite Marvel characters are female X-Men so this is probably the best I could hope for.

Degen

> when you realize that every Marvel female in the whole series was from X-Men 😬 awkward

Anyway, I'm gonna go straight to Nemesis/Hulk if I can even put Tekken 7 down long enough so whatever

Dremark

Banned
or Storm lol

I would've been pissed if Black Widow was in it over Storm, Scarlet Witch, Ms. Marvel, Phoenix, or other interesting Marvel women.

She's not the only one, she's just the only one that came to mind. The point is there are quite a few female characters that could have been really cool to see in the game. Personally I would have liked to see Songbird but unless the roster was huge or she ended up being one of those sort of cult picks like Taskmaster or Tron in MvC3 I would have never expected her to ever touch the roster.

I usually feel brief disappointment when it comes to video games and get over it fast....

That's how I feel. I'm sorry that you were more bummed by this rumored list. However, when I look over the roster, I just have to shrug my shoulders and say more MVC is better than no more MVC and find the characters I want to learn from the pool available (it helps that Strider was my anchor from UMvC3) and hope for the best from DLC.

Dremark

Banned
I don't mind it at all. Spencer of MvC3 is a legacy veteran and deserves to be in this one based on all the hype moments he brought in that game.

My point is Spencer is not a surprising pick considering the guy that made him popular is on the dev team.

I don't mind it either, but I think personal bias is a poor way to make business decisions. I like Arthur and Firebrand being in the game too, but I still think they are questionable picks based on the information I have.

Csr

I was disappointed with the graphics but i thought that at least it meant that we will have a lot of characters in the starting roster.
I should have known better.

Dahbomb

State of Capcom right now:

Street Fighter: SFV super duper under performed.

Dead Rising: Managed to under perform even more than SFV.

Resident Evil: On a downtrend since RE5, RE7 didn't meet sales target.

Monster Hunter: MHXX didn't meet sales target by small amount and Japanese non phone gaming audience shrinking. Capcom is in the business of making a MH for the West which might be a huge success or a colossal flop.

Devil May Cry: DmC happened but Capcom bounced back with the Special editions which have at least performed better than expected in the case of 4SE. DMC5 incoming to restore faith with the fanbase again.

VS series: Marvel 3 performed on par with sales expectations... Marvel Infinite is what it is.

Everything else Capcom has is either dead or too niche worth talking about.

Capcom has to knock it out of the park with either DMC5 or MH5... or they have screwed the pooch with ALL of their major franchises.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I was so struck by the disappointing roster, I didn't even notice there was only 4 females. What the fuck. This is such a dumpster fire.

dawgparty

> when you realize that every Marvel female in the whole series was from X-Men �� awkward

Scarlet Witch, Widow, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Jessica Jones, Squirrel Girl, Elektra, Wasp, etc. Most of the X-Men ladies are more popular but still.

Tekken 7 has 38 characters and 12 of them are women
Not sure if you're giving Tekken as a good or bad example but that unfortunately seems to be a pretty standard percentage.

Didnt realise how much more interesting X-Men characters are than other Marvel characters.

Should have made a X-Men vs Capcom instead. OK now Im just shit posting. Im sorry.

vg260

What are the chances the 6 DLC characters were originally slated to be part of the base roster with a "late 2017" release, but they got forced to move it up and made them DLC as a result?

Dremark

Banned
Didnt realise how much more interesting X-Men characters are than other Marvel characters.

Should have made a X-Men vs Capcom instead. OK now Im just shit posting. Im sorry.

Don't agree, but the series did basically start off with X-men crossovers. Unless you count the Punisher, which Capcom oddly seems to.

Miles Morales Spider-man skin. What more do we need, right?

Blade (If they can use him), Storm and Falcon could have been pretty cool. Luke Cage, Rhodey, and Cloak probably would have been harder to make interesting movesets for but they could have been cool if they made them work too. Maybe Miles, Rhodes and Sam will get skins, I dunno.

Jawmuncher

What are the chances the 6 DLC characters were originally slated to be part of the base roster with a "late 2017" release, but they got forced to move it up and made them DLC as a result?

Pretty likely at this point. Going from data mining Capcom has already been up to these tricks. Part of the Nightmare DLC from RE7 was supposed to be in the case game.

Then there's the whole Sigma is in the game model and all and yet is DLC.

Monster Hunter: MHXX didn't meet sales target by small amount and Japanese non phone gaming audience shrinking. Capcom is in the business of making a MH for the West which might be a huge success or a colossal flop.

Devil May Cry: DmC happened but Capcom bounced back with the Special editions which have at least performed better than expected in the case of 4SE. DMC5 incoming to restore faith with the fanbase again.

VS series: Marvel 3 performed on par with sales expectations... Marvel Infinite is what it is.

Capcom has to knock it out of the park with either DMC5 or MH5... or they have screwed the pooch with ALL of their major franchises.
When was the last launch of a fighting game from Capcom that they didn't bungle up.. USF4?

Also what is Blade up to in marvel land, does he have comics or a movie coming out?

vg260

Pretty likely at this point. Going from data mining Capcom has already been up to these tricks. Part of the Nightmare DLC from RE7 was supposed to be in the case game.

That's my gut feeling.

Devil May Cry: DmC happened but Capcom bounced back with the Special editions which have at least performed better than expected in the case of 4SE. DMC5 incoming to restore faith with the fanbase again..... until they somehow manage to fuck it up and destroy any goodwill they've gained from announcing it.
Fixed that for you, Dah.

I-hate-u

Can't wait till Nintendo buys them and takes over.

Jawmuncher

That's my gut feeling.

The first season pass is 6 all new characters.
That'd put us as at 32 which is a more friendly number. Not as much as MVC3 but doesn't seem as low.
Then 3 newcomers one each side would add a lot to what the current roster is like now.

X
Jeddah
Monster Hunter

Captain Marvel
Ant Man
Gamora
Ultron
Thanks (I'm sure they changed him up.

3 new comers to each side of this helps a lot. Just random picks for diversification of the top of my head.

Regina
Nina
Sigma

Black Panther
Black Widow
Ms Marvel

That alone bumps us up to 8 females and we get more diversification in race with Black Panther and Ms Marvel

At this point. I fully suspect the first Season Pass is cut content and/or content they couldn't finish in time for release. I know not all companies are out to do that sort of thing. But Capcom has a bad track record with these things, and there's enough signs that point towards deadlines and such needing to be made.

Neonep

When was the last launch of a fighting game from Capcom that they didn't bungle up.. USF4?

Also what is Blade up to in marvel land, does he have comics or a movie coming out?

When Vanilla SFIV came out, it was a situation. Pretty much everybody was playing that. It was a big deal.

I-hate-u

Could have added storm last minute to get all the usual check lists. Black, woman, people actually want her in.

I remember how Seth Killian had to fight hard for Mag/Storm/Sent for Mvc3.

Where you at Seth? Capcom fighters went to shit after u left ;((((

This makes so much sense. Capcom always gonna Capcom unfortunately.

Blueblur1

This could be potentially starting a rumor/speculation that may persist for the next few months (or years?) but I don't disagree. If anything its more clear than ever that we're getting DLC characters that were probably supposed to be in the base product. (Doesn't help that Capcom even confirmed that situation happened with SFV's Kolin; only difference being that Laura was prioritized and included in the launch roster instead.)

Jawmuncher

When Vanilla SFIV came out, it was a situation. Pretty much everybody was playing that. It was a big deal.

Yeah SF4, SSF4, and the original MVC3 were definitely the last Capcom fighters to not get too much shit. After that it was "why are we getting another edition of SF4 and we can't just update (they at least fixed this somewhat with USF4".

Then there was the "Why is UMVC3 coming out so soon and only at retail?" "Where is the patch for this". Though to be fair to that, the Tsunami was a big player in that.

But yeah after that it's been quite the road looking at SFV and SFxT

Capcom could've added Nilin to the game. You know, the colored female character from one of their latest new IPs. But no, instead they wanted to have multiply reps from their niche series.

Dremark

Banned
I remember how Seth Killian had to fight hard for Mag/Storm/Sent for Mvc3.

Where you at Seth? Capcom fighters went to shit after u left ;((((

He went to Sony after SFxTekken to work on the Playstation All Stars Battle Royale which was mentioned earlier in the thread. He then worked with the Canon brother's company on Rising Storm until Riot bought them out. Last I was aware he still worked for Riot.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The first season pass is 6 all new characters.
That'd put us as at 32 which is a more friendly number. Not as much as MVC3 but doesn't seem as low.
Then 3 newcomers one each side would add a lot to what the current roster is like now.

X
Jeddah
Monster Hunter

Captain Marvel
Ant Man
Gamora
Ultron
Thanks (I'm sure they changed him up.

3 new comers to each side of this helps a lot. Just random picks for diversification of the top of my head.

Regina
Nina
Sigma

Black Panther
Black Widow
Ms Marvel

That alone bumps us up to 8 females and we get more diversification in race with Black Panther and Ms Marvel

At this point. I fully suspect the first Season Pass is cut content and/or content they couldn't finish in time for release. I know not all companies are out to do that sort of thing. But Capcom has a bad track record with these things, and there's enough signs that point towards deadlines and such needing to be made.

Absolutely no chance in hell 4 of the dlc characters are women I'm praying for 2.

Neonep

Yeah SF4, SSF4, and the original MVC3 were definitely the last Capcom fighters to not get too much shit. After that it was "why are we getting another edition of SF4 and we can't just update (they at least fixed this somewhat with USF4".

Then there was the "Why is UMVC3 coming out so soon and only at retail?" "Where is the patch for this". Though to be fair to that, the Tsunami was a big player in that.

But yeah after that it's been quite the road looking at SFV and SFxT
I thought that was because the license for Capcom to use Marvel characters was about to run out.

vg260

I'm usually of the opinion DLC are planned out far in advance, but in this case with the game originally being touted as "late 2017", the surprisingly early September release, and the DLC being out by year's end it really does feel like they had to cut them out to get the early release. Really feels like 6 newcomers could have had a big difference in the initial reaction to the base roster too.

Jawmuncher

Absolutely no chance in hell 4 of the dlc characters are women I'm praying for 2.

Yeah I'm not saying that's even likely. Was just posting as a hyphothecial way to address the diversification issues early on.

I thought that was because the license for Capcom to use Marvel characters was about to run out.

Both factored into one another. The tsunami affected a lot of things in Japan.

I'm usually of the opinion DLC are planned out far in advance, but in this case with the game originally being touted as "late 2017", the surprisingly early September release, and the DLC being out by year's end it really does feel like they had to cut them out to get the early release. Really feels like 6 newcomers could have had a big difference in the initial reaction to the base roster too.

Absolutely. It also helps explain how they could manage to have 6 DLC characters up and ready to go out the door between the September release and the end of the year.

Edit: you mentioned that in your post. I'm so upset I can't even read correctly right now

Top Bottom