• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mirror's Edge 2 details

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
How much was the original Mirrors Edge? $60? that is so badly priced as well for such a short, linear game. I want more single player experiences to go open world, at least then I can feel the $60 justified for me.

Games like The Crew and Watch Dogs are showing me just that.

Now Mirrors Edge 2 going this route, it just feels right.
I don't know man, I replayed the game enough times that that price tag makes sense to me. Here's hoping the sequel has that crazy replay value too.

SykoTech

Almost flipped the table when I read "Always Online", but a seamless drop in and out world like Journey is fine. Just don't make me be Online just to play it EA, please.

Everything else sounds good.

Reboot? Fine with me. The story and characters in the first game sucked anyway, except for Faith herself.

2016? Sure, take your time. Plenty of other Japanese companies have made me wait much longer. Just don't screw it up.

I loved Mirror's Edge, I play open world sandbox games, but I'm always sceptical towards open world sandbox games.

DICE does not consider Mirror’s Edge 2 as a brawler, but instead a racing game at heart. For the development team, the focus is on creating a game all about parkour: speed, fluidity, and mastery of your environment.

Sounds interesting and good to me.

Other general multiplayer components include co-op and competitive modes, such as time trials

...until they drop the server support

2016? Some years, screens, trailer to get hyped.

Trago

2016?

So Dice have Battlefront, BF5/Bad Company 3, AND this game to work on?

I hope it comes sooner rather than later...

sunnz

When they unveiled it, I got the distinct impression that it was in development for maybe 4-6 months total at that point.

For an open world game, a 3 year turnaround isn't that ridiculous, but it is kind of a ridiculously early unveil.

Which is why I REALLY hope that when Fallout 4 is revealed, it will only be less than a year away from release.

Looking forward to ME2 , being open world peaks my interest.

Fox Mulder

I don't know man, I replayed the game enough times that that price tag makes sense to me. Here's hoping the sequel has that crazy replay value too.

yeah, it was priced fine and was a unique big budget experience. It looked amazing in motion and with the color contrasts.

there was a time where games like this could exist without having to sell multi-millions or appeal to everyone with generic game play.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Which is why I REALLY hope that when Fallout 4 is revealed, it will only be less than a year away from release.

Looking forward to ME2 , being open world peaks my interest.

Yeah after Skyrim, Bethesda got a lot more interested in just waiting until they were ready to have a standard marketing cycle, so I suspect it will be a one year or less turnaround from unveil to release for it.

Given we still haven't heard anything though I'm going to guess it's a Fall 2015 title. They took 4 years to do Oblivion, then 2 to make Fallout 3, then 3 to make Skyrim, but a generation switch is most comparable to Morrowind -> Oblivion.

AU Tiger

This about sums up my feelings as well.

Same here. I'm ok with the online aspect as long as I have a choice. If I don't want to bother with people in my game, I want the option to disconnect from the internet and just enjoy it alone.

If it's always online always connected required, I may wait for a sale or something.

Yeah so far as we know, Frosbite isn't capable of a GTA-style open world, so we're almost certainly looking for a hub world/series of interconnected hubs.

Deus Ex isn't a bad comparison.

Apparently from what I've heard, frostbite is EA's new baby and have entire teams dedicated just to developing tools for game devs to use with the engine. hell we went from it being used for a military shooter to a racing game and then a top down RTS for the F2P C&C game.

True we've yet to see frostbite render a massively detailed sprawling city but with as good as some of the big maps of BF3/4 look, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it can render a GTA V looking world.

GoaThief

Third person is almost a deal breaker, you know it's going to open up the doorway for more, "you can't do platforming in first person" nonsense, aside from the obvious immersion breaking of course.

There is also a worrying underlying theme of attempting to appease a crowd who disliked the first. I don't believe they will be swayed and original fans will be alienated in the process.

It's a long time away, just have to see how things come along. As someone who thought the original one of the best of the previous generation I hope they realise the strong points of it's predecessor.

char0n

Cautiously optimistic, but disappointed in the timeframe (I need it now!).

Things I'm still terribly worried about:
  • Dumbed down platforming: I loved the difficulty/skill involved in the first, we don't need this to be EA's Assassin's Creed. Nothing mentioned here really suggests this (actually "open world" makes me worry since it would be easier to do this on that scale then set up a world full of crafted jumping puzzles like ME1) but it just feels sadly inevitable in today's "everything must be accessible to someone who never played games" environment
  • Combat changes: I welcome deepening combat, but I actually sort of liked the "one button" system that changed depending on how you were moving. It reminded me a lot of Jedi Knight's saber combat (though far more basic), and I would prefer they expand on that then go down the "dial-a-combo" path, which would go against the whole "fluid motion" theme. I'd absolutely love Chivalry type combat, and would be sad if we got Remember Me style. I also don't want them to eliminate combat entirely, as yes, I actually enjoyed the hand to hand bits... Let me put it this way: Part of the charm of Mirror's Edge for me is it felt like the actually-good Matrix game we never got.
  • Third person auto takedowns: Let me turn them off. Or at least give me the option to execute them in first person and don't make them these crazy choreographed "brutal" animations I'll get sick of breaking up my play-flow after one time through the game.
  • Online Components: This actually sounds cool, but if I can't play trials/story mode at all or get kicked out just because my internet cuts out, they're experiencing server load issues, they decide it's time to shut down the servers, etc... I will be supremely pissed.

Also, Occulus Rift/Sony VR support out of the box please.

Theecliff

Banned
Are they serious with 2016? Why so friggin long?

People mentioned BF5, but I heard Dice isn't even making that.
If you're referring to the rumours of a police themed BF, Visceral are supposed to be handling that - but that doesn't mean there's not also a mainline BF coming from Dice too.

Plus they're doing the next Battlefront.

Are they serious with 2016? Why so friggin long?

It will be third priority after Battlefield and Star Wars Battlefront. Probably has a much smaller development team than those projects too.

People mentioned BF5, but I heard Dice isn't even making that.

Rumour has it that there will be a Battlefield spin-off this year developed by Visceral featuring militarised police dealing with drug cartels in Havana, but it won't be named Battlefield 5. That will come out likely at the end of next year, again from DICE, and be a mainline instalment featuring large military conflicts.

Blizzard

Banned
Third person is almost a deal breaker, you know it's going to open up the doorway for more, "you can't do platforming in first person" nonsense, aside from the obvious immersion breaking of course.

There is also a worrying underlying theme of attempting to appease a crowd who disliked the first. I don't believe they will be swayed and original fans will be alienated in the process.

It's a long time away, just have to see how things come along. As someone who thought the original one of the best of the previous generation I hope they realise the strong points of it's predecessor.
The first game was unique because of how much it did stay in first person view. Take-down animations were first person, rolls on the ground were first person, there was even a first person hug.

Imagine if we had to lose a first person hug because they wanted to show off third-person animations. =(

I didn't want a greater emphasis on gunplay, which I was certain would be unavoidable in a sequel, but... no guns at all? What kind of sense does THAT make? Do the enemies not ever have guns? I loved kicking the shit out of an enemy, grabbing his gun, firing, and dropping it to run off.

I don't like the online, open world stuff at all, but I'm not surprised either. It's basically DRM that can be trumpeted as a feature, so we're going to see a hell of a lot more of this stuff going forward.

EDIT: Fuck third person takedowns. How does the developer not understand something so basic about what made the original a wonderfully unique experience? Stick to first person during all gameplay.

it's hard to make positive assumptions about EA anymore. I expect the worst from these these days.

I loved the first mirrors edge, but will wait for reviews before allowing any hype to enter my mind. They've had a string of fuckups just this last year.

Very true, but I'll try to remain optimistic about the game with regards to how it handles always online.

I really do hope they don't make it a requirement. I don't mind multiplayer races or even co-op, but the idea of other people randomly dropping into my game doesn't sit well with me.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's kind of crazy to think how non-stereotyped Faith was as a design, I remember the producer Tim Farrer getting pissed with that otaku revision:

It was just kind of depressing that someone thinks it would be better if Faith was a 12-year-old with a boob job.

Hahaha! That's exactly what I thought.

Frankly, I think Faith still looks gorgeous in her CG art. I don't know why anyone would have an issue with her appearance in that aspect.

If you're referring to the rumours of a police themed BF, Visceral are supposed to be handling that - but that doesn't mean there's not also a mainline BF coming from Dice too.

Plus they're doing the next Battlefront.

Oh yeah, forgot about Battlefront.

Still, Mirror's Edge 2 should have its own seperate team. They should be able to delegate enough personnel to develop all projects simultaneously without compromising the development on any one.

It's kind of crazy to think how non-stereotyped Faith was as a design, I remember the producer Tim Farrer getting pissed with that otaku revision:

DICE did a whole lot of talking about Faith as a great character, which is strange considering how awful the story and writing were. There was nothing remarkable about her.

I don't like that redesign, especially the bigger boobs (which doesn't make any sense considering the kind of physical things she's doing constantly in the game), but give me a break on the "nobody looks like that!" shit. Sure they do. Maybe it offends you that someone redesigned her, but cool it with the politically correct nonsense.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Still, Mirror's Edge 2 should have its own seperate team. They should be able to delegate enough personnel to develop all projects simultaneously without compromising the development on any one.

Generally in AAA you roll the bulk of the staff from one project to the next based on where it is in development, since early on and very late you don't need much staff, but in the middle you need a ton.

If you were to fully staff each team you would have to layoff about 70% of them once a game ships.

ced

Sounds like every other recent reboot that has ruined or lacked everything good about the originals.

Theecliff

Banned

I think even with a huge team that is able to split itself up into different teams, 3 big AAA projects to work on around the same time is still a very big undertaking. Plus they're always going to have to relegate staff from the entire studio to get certain things done on a specific title, like near launch.

Man, another one bites the dust to the damn mingleplayer-curse fad of the 8th generation. Really sad to see the game (presumably) go this way.

As someone who likes SP-games enjoyed by himself, I really hope the game is interesting to lone wolves as well. Other mingleplayer games (like Borderlands, NFS etc.) are pretty much boring as hell if played alone.

RedSwirl

The open-world would allow players to get to know certain environments which would eliminate the trial and error that made the first one so frustrating. It would also make the game highly replayable and community oriented since players would constantly compete and show-off with the rest of the community.

This is what I'm most interested in. An open world environment could actually have advantages for Mirror's Edge. Not only could it become a game about actually learning your environment like the runners in the game do, but it could also involve actual couriering. Remember, Faith's main job is to illegally transport packages, yet she does none of this in the original game

I imagine an open world where you make delivery runs for side quests, eventually getting better and better at navigating the city. Then you can really put that skill to use during the main parts of the game. It all depends on how good the level design is. I don't expect (or want) this to be a Skyrim or Assassin's Creed style open world. Probably something very different.

Open world parkour racing focus with seamless hand to hand combat in motion and no gunplay?

Conceptually this sounds absolutely amazing. Sure seems like they have some time to explore this vision too. Good stuff. My inner Mirror's Edge fanboy will now go into hypersleep until there's new media for this, but it'll be with a smile on his face.

Pompadour

DICE did a whole lot of talking about Faith as a great character, which is strange considering how awful the story and writing were. There was nothing remarkable about her.

Yeah, she's championed as a character entirely because she is a non-offensive portrayal of a minority woman. Which is fine by me as the original Mirror's Edge didn't need a particularly strong lead so I can feel progressive for basically playing a blank slate that happens to be an Asian woman.

Also, giving her massive breasts would prevent you from enjoying that past-gen FPS ability to see your own feet.

- Faking nothing, the E3 2013 Mirror’s Edge 2 teaser was indeed entirely real time and generally unscripted, including the combat systems. Rocket Chainsaw has now seen both in motion in test environments, and they match up, graphically and mechanically.

XfqFdVY.jpg

I'm not falling for that one again.

persistent, “always online” component.
Occasionally a third person take-down move will be used when an enemy is beaten

Well I'm out. Nice knowing you, DICE.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm pretty sure the DICE team working on Mirror's Edge is separate from the people who did Battlefield.
This may be true now, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't always true. If I remember correctly, at least some of the Mirror's Edge team moved on to the Battlefield 3 team. I think there was at least one Mirror's Edge callback level (glass/clean style) and maybe some similar rooftop assets, but that could be a stretch.

I suppose we could determine the extent of shared teams by comparing credits between games though.

StuBurns

Banned
I hate the idea it's open world. Mirror's Edge is the best 3D platformer ever made, there's just no feasible way to have that dense, high quality platforming geometry when the work is spread over the course of an entire city.

I hate the idea it's open world. Mirror's Edge is the best 3D platformer ever made, there's just no feasible way to have that dense, high quality platforming geometry when the work is spread over the course of an entire city.
There's no reason its impossible, but it does sound like a daunting task.

If they pull it off it could be the greatest thing ever. Open worlds come in different flavors these days - and devs have been learning how to incorporate linear design ideas into them much better.

persistent, “always online” component.
Occasionally a third person take-down move will be used when an enemy is beaten

Well I'm out. Nice knowing you, DICE.
Yeah, this is the part where I might jump out altogether.

Marvel

could never

You could have a point. Only way I can see it working really well is if there are lots of interesting building interiors to free run in too. Endless rooftops in an open world city could be a step backwards. yet the reward could be so damn good if they nail both.

ad_idem

As some have already expressed, the always online component does cause some potential concern. However, if implemented well, it could provide a stage for exhilarating and fun chase sequences where it's not determinedly adhering to a scripted sequence. Especially if they reference Journey's implementation as an example of their idea. It could offer a sense of immersion, where you're not the only courier, there are other "operatives" populating your world. You're in a race/chase sequence, what if the other player's mission route ends up crisscrossing yours? Do the AI chasers go for you? Them? Is the other player on your side? What if their target is to stop you? Could make for a chaotic improvisational organic run sequence. Thinking about these unlikely things make me more excited for the game. Then again I do admit I tend to grab my rose tinted glasses when it comes to Mirror's Edge, but one can remain hopeful until proven otherwise right?

I think some people underestimate just how capable Frostbite 3 is as a rendering engine, and how impressive the Mirror's Edge aesthetic is. The original Mirror's Edge is hardly a milestone of technological accomplishment (hello baked shadows), yet still looks incredible to this day thanks to the brilliant use of single colours and tones, contrasting, and geometric design. Rendering issues tend to me more obvious with high geometric and texture complexity. Mirror's Edge is all about clean and stylish. Harder, edged geometry and clean, flat colours are easier to render and more impressive as a comprehensive image.

Mirror's Edge 2 looks excellent, but I don't think it looks outrageously out-of-this-world insane on a technical level, and that's what would matter most in terms of downgrades.

Console builds may suffer in the long run, that ceiling and all, but the PC version should look much like the GIF.

While I've met some people that mention the aesthetic design of ME as being bland, and boring, it's one of the things that drew me into this unknown new franchise. Ultra minimal in both design and color palette choices (almost clinical). A reflection of the type of society the main character lives in. Not to mention it probably helped it age relatively well, and also keep a nice smooth frame rate (a paramount factor in a "racing" game to me). So if they continue this approach, I remain hopeful in them getting relatively close to their E3 showing. Especially considering the PC option being available.

Sounds like Batman (combat) meets assassins creed (free running in an open world) meets sim city (for the bits that force you online for no good reason).

Mark me down as dubious.

Just wanted to comment on the Assassin's Creed free running portion: I certainly hope this wouldn't be the case. The movement (while fluidly animated) is mostly automated. Press the stick in the direction, and with minimal presses of the jump/interaction button, you smoothly continue to make progress. Where the parkour is a mechanic of traversal, while in ME parkour is the game. ME's movement is extremely deliberate, and involved (multi-part button presses for one move etc). Stringing together fluid "combos" of moves to keep the speed constant is the focus.

Just to be clear, it's not anything against you, just wanted to clarify (in case you haven't played ME) the movement differences.

And while 2016 seems far, I'm okay with this as long as proper love and care goes into this game. Hopefully DICE will be guided by the desire to make a game for their fans, as opposed to overly pleasing their publisher's bottom line (resulting in potentially questionable micro-transactions/online practices and the like).

Yeah, she's championed as a character entirely because she is a non-offensive portrayal of a minority woman. Which is fine by me as the original Mirror's Edge didn't need a particularly strong lead so I can feel progressive for basically playing a blank slate that happens to be an Asian woman.

Also, giving her massive breasts would prevent you from enjoying that past-gen FPS ability to see your own feet.

I guess some people really want Trespasser 2?

tresp_8.jpg

A-V-B

Endless rooftops in an open world city could be a step backwards

I'm guessing it's mostly this. Doing a hundred interiors of the same quality as in MrE1 simply isn't feasible within 2 years. We're probably going to get a ton of copy and paste with some very good mission levels here or there.

Top Bottom