• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Overwatch hero unveiling on Monday, likely Sombra (support sniper) [Nope]

As much as I really want them to reveal a new character and for that new character to be Sombra, I don't think either will be happening. Love seeing the theories and everything that's been posted, though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So if they do announce a new character, when would this new character come out? 1 month? Have they even mentioned how frequently they want to add new heroes?

HariKari

If we think about which heroes need more counters then the first one to come to mind is McCree. And how to counter him = negating his crazy burst damage. So maybe she makes the enemy unable to do damage for the next few seconds? Or makes an ally invincible for a short time. Both would help against McCrees of the world. Widowmaker also I guess.

McCree is countered by everything not in flashbang range. He has no escape, no self heal, no real mobility, not a small target.

Dr. Buni

As much as I really want them to reveal a new character and for that new character to be Sombra, I don't think either will be happening. Love seeing the theories and everything that's been posted, though.
Usually I am skeptical as well, but the stuff in the OP are somewhat convincing. Maybe the character isn't named Sombra and also isn't Ana Amari, but we might still get the support sniper...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So if they do announce a new character, when would this new character come out? 1 month? Have they even mentioned how frequently they want to add new heroes?

They noted it would be (notably) less often than Heroes of the Storm (which is an insane new hero every 3 weeks), but did note that "We're also working on a TON of post-launch features and content. It's going to be a pretty amazing summer..."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They noted it would be (notably) less often than Heroes of the Storm (which is an insane new hero every 3 weeks), but did note that "We're also working on a TON of post-launch features and content. It's going to be a pretty amazing summer..."

Hmm and this is all free?

Until they change their mind and go "well thisnis technicall a expansion so we are charging for it"

Squire

Banned

I'm so hyped for BlizzCon.

I don't know when this will happen, but I really think that since there are, at present, 6 offensive, 6 defensive, 5 tanks, and 4 supports, that not long after launch 2 supports and 1 tank will arrive to bring it to an even 6 heroes in each class. If I had to guess, I'd say that Sombra will be a support sniper (but I don't think she'll be Pharah's mother), that Athena will be the other support, and that the tank will be either Doomfist or Soundquake.

Rhaknar

I don't know when this will happen, but I really think that since there are, at present, 6 offensive, 6 defensive, 5 tanks, and 4 supports, that not long after launch 2 supports and 1 tank will arrive to bring it to an even 6 heroes in each class. If I had to guess, I'd say that Sombra will be a support sniper (but I don't think she'll be Pharah's mother), that Athena will be the other support, and that the tank will be either Doomfist or Soundquake.

Needs more builders. Make a builder pet class that shits out little robots that attack enemies

Oscar

Sombra is Shadow in Spanish. Reaper is Latino (Mexican? going by the Mariachi/Day of the dead themed skin). So she might be linked to Reaper instead of Pharah.

HariKari

Zi2wY1S.png

3 new heroes right at/before/around launch would be pretty crazy, but the game is dialed in balance wise, so it could handle it. It'd be a nice surprise.

Dr. Buni

Sombra is Shadow in Spanish. Reaper is Latino (Mexican? going by the Mariachi/Day of the dead themed skin). So she might be linked to Reaper instead of Pharah.
Reaper/Gabriel Reyes is American. The only "latino" in Overwatch is Lúcio (Brazilian).

Squire

Banned

She's already tangentially linked to him by virtue of the fact he seems to know her, as the OP notes.

Have they provided a guesstimate for pricing? I am absolutely unopposed to this, since everything that comes out of the crates is cosmetic.

No numbers that I've seen. But yeah, great solution though. They'll probably get a lot of people just buying gold en masse to get the Legendary skins immediately.

3 new heroes right at/before/around launch would be pretty crazy, but the game is dialed in balance wise, so it could handle it. It'd be a nice surprise.

It would be amazing but I have my doubts, main reason are looking at the unboxing for the collectors edition. They showed off the packaging on the interior, and they show all the current heroes and sadly no others. I'm not saying we won't get one more new character but 3 before launch is a bit of a stretch

It would be amazing but I have my doubts, main reason are looking at the unboxing for the collectors edition. They showed off the packaging on the interior, and they show all the current heroes and sadly no others. I'm not saying we won't get one more new character but 3 before launch is a bit of a stretch

Retail packaging is usually done designing months before shipping and is largely unrelated to development so that is not surprising. Heck the retail box of Heart of the Swarm even still has Warhound on it, a unit that was straight removed from multiplayer half a year ago.

Though this could mean she is actually called Shadow not Sombra? On those files in Dorado, 76's name was written in Spanish as well (Soldado: 76).

Ken

Maybe the short is S76 beats up sombra and that's why reaper isn't friends no more and sombra will never be playable

Mechazawa

Tryna figure out what the fuck a "support sniper" could possibly be.

I guess she could snipe debuffs or dot damage or something.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I think there will be more characters but not at release. Right now they seem to have struck a somewhat balance and throwing a new character into the mix at release seems a bit weird.

I expect this, a new character along with the first map pool update.

Dr. Buni

He looks like Machete ffs.

Reaper/Gabriel Reyes is undoubtedly American of Hispanic/Latino descent.
He just looks like a black dude to me. Then again latinos can be black, as I am the living proof (well... technically, latina and not really black, but "blasian" lol, point stands though).

Inspired by the Sombra rumor I frame capped the heroes Winton recalls in his video. There's no one I recognized, but a lot of awesome looking concepts / art.

Imgur Album

ivZTwaL.png
Nice. Thanks for doing this!

The stretch of characters that look similar, wearing similar armour, makes me think it's from Titan's character creator. Like premade avatars that players could choose from. At least, it'd make more sense than them all eventually becoming playable, looking as identical as they do.

Lucifon

Nice. Thanks for doing this!

The stretch of characters that look similar, wearing similar armour, makes me think it's from Titan's character creator. Like premade avatars that players could choose from. At least, it'd make more sense than them all eventually becoming playable, looking as identical as they do.

This makes me want to see what titan was even more :(

Lucifon

They could really do with showing us some new bits around the launch of the game to keep us excited.

As it stands we've already seen all the game has to offer, and I'm not sure most casual players realised this - the beta was the full game.

maouvin

Reaper says "where's Sombra when you need her"

In-game? Or was it on some short?

http://blazingcobalt.deviantart.com/art/Overwatch-Sombra-Concept-610071123

Sombra fanart and the character doesn't even exist (yet?)!

Can't wait for the cosplay on whatever con is happening somewhere in the world this weekend.

Huh? Since when are Brazilians latinos? And being Latino isn't a nationality. Dude is latino/hispanic.

Latino is someone from LATAM. Which Brazil is.
Latino and hispanic are not the same thing.

Dr. Buni

Huh? Since when are Brazilians latinos? And being Latino isn't a nationality. Dude is latino/hispanic.
Brazil is a Latin American country, therefore Brazilians are latinos. What exactly are you on about? Also, when did I say being latino is a nationality? My point was exactly the opposite. Reaper isn't latino, he is black. There is 0 reason to believe he isn't. I am talking about his race, not nationality, his nationality is American, as he is from the United States.

Do your research about trying to correct others pls.
Ah mixed the two. Still Reyes/Reaper is hispanic, which is odd to say he wasn't just because he was born in the U.S.
You do love coming to conclusions. I never said he wasn't latino because he is from the U.S., I said it because this latino/hispanic thing is bullshit. It gets tiring seeing people from Latin American countries being called "latino" or "hispanic" even though they are just black, white, native or mixed races. This is worse than people saying Symmetra can't be black because she is from India lol.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America#Subregions_and_countries

Kenpachi

Brazil is a Latin American country, therefore Brazilians are latinos. What exactly are you on about? Also, when did I say being latino is a nationality? My point was exactly the opposite. Reaper isn't latino, he is black. There is 0 reason to believe he isn't. I am talking about his race, not nationality, his nationality is American, as he is from the United States.

Do your research about trying to correct others pls.

Why does a black man have a mariachi skin then?

ZoddGutts

Why does a black man have a mariachi skin then?

lol not only that, he's last name is Reyes for fuck sake, plus he could be mixed, half black. Gabriel is also common for hispanics. I knew several hispanic here in L.A. that were half black including my cousins who are half black, being Mexican descent myself and even speak to them in spanish, gasp Reaper/Reyes also knows spanish!

Edit: Boy did that I hit a nerve with that person. Yikes.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
i'd like a character with invis. i think they could make it fun and balanced. especially if they are a support character. a genji with invis sounds OP. i also think a support sniper will finally give some better use for the offensive snipers.

Blizzard clearly tested it and found it unbalanced.

Not only can currency appear in a loot box, you also get currency when you unlock any duplicates of things you've already unlocked.

So really, just be patient. ;)

Top Bottom