• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

Bog

Junior Ace
My only question regarding any of this is why you were following a QA tester at TT Games on Twitter.

No analog stick gate? :(

I loved Nintendo analog sticks because of the gate. I really think that if the 3DS slide pad had the gate, Mario 3D Land wouldn't have been limited to 8 way direction...

7threst

I like this, although the outward placement of the sticks seems weird to me. But I always liked Nintendo controllers in the past, so I'm not worried.

Yeah! Seriously. I can't believe so few people are voicing concern about this. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but... I don't really want to. I wish they'd just swap the placement. Maybe that'd make the controller less comfortable to hold, though?

Yeah I'm a little skeptical about that placement, but I feel it's for the best that the analog sticks are above the face buttons. If the analog stick would be below the face buttons you'd have to hold your hands at some weird offset angle which would definitely get extremely uncomfortable after a while. With this set-up your hands will fit nice and evenly into the hand molds/grips on the back and I don't think it'll be too much trouble to reach down an inch or so to tap a button.

Yeah, I remember that. But I see the pics, and my brain thinks "uncomfortable". It also thinks "awesome" and "want", though.

I really can't think of any Nintendo controller that's uncomfortable, so I can't see them starting with this. It's obviously huge and your first thought is that it's going to be heavy or just not feel right, but the impressions were positive. Button analog being above the buttons is really the only thing that concerns me about it.

I still don't see the problem with them myself.
I like the 3DS slider.

I think that it's fine also, but I just didn't see why it needed to be in the Wii U. Analog sticks make a lot more sense for a traditional controller.

C_H_T

They have also added the Wii U logo on the controller, so the name is final and they aren't going to change it.

filler

Banned
I think people are soured by PSP or something. There's nothing wrong with 3DS slidepad, in fact a large thick one would probably be more precise than and analog stick because it's moved in a flat plane rather than an awkward curved one. The really benefit I see is click-ability which is more overused than it is appropriately used.

I was hoping for a bigger more precise slidepad myself, is there a reason they can't make a clickable slidepad?

shtkn

i'm just glad they moved the + - buttons in this version to a more convenient location.

edit: i guess no one knows if there are analog triggers on the back or if they're just digital? seems like the only big missing feature to me (screw clickable sticks)

KillGore

3DS one is fine and fit some genres better than sticks, albeit it is in need of some more grip.

Not saying the 3DS slider is bad, it's pretty good actually but personally I prefer analog sticks. I like the Vita sticks a bit more than the 3DS slider (IMO).

Somnid

I was hoping for a bigger more precise slidepad myself, is there a reason they can't make a clickable slidepad?

Probably because you tend to depress it it to hold it in place using the friction of it against the controller. Even click-sticks are awkward I think that sort of interaction is just more-so.

Also it would seem the home button lights up. And there's another mystery button next to the power button.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I liked the old design more. I'm not sure about the stick placement and would prefer a slidepad, particularly if the stupid things needed to be clickable.

Just to be safe. *uploads*

TwmEG.jpg

My launch Gamecube controller is still white. Take better care of it.

Uhh... yes?

When a lot of people use a controller and use them frequently, some discoloring isn't abnormal. You cannot assume he took poor care of his controller.

And there were many rumors Wii U was going to be renamed, or have you been under a rock?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm a little skeptical about that placement, but I feel it's for the best that the analog sticks are above the face buttons. If the analog stick would be below the face buttons you'd have to hold your hands at some weird offset angle which would definitely get extremely uncomfortable after a while. With this set-up your hands will fit nice and evenly into the hand molds/grips on the back and I don't think it'll be too much trouble to reach down an inch or so to tap a button.
Does having the buttons below the stick mean the X and Y buttons will now be the primary buttons? That's going against 20+ years of conditioning, man.

zroid

Banned
Aaaauuuuuuhhhh, and I'd just gotten to grips with the idea of using circle pads. In particular, after coming to prefer the 3DS' Circle Pad to the decidedly terrible Vita sticks, I was pretty much content.

Dammit.

-KRS-

Good. I'm not very fond of the slide pad. It just doesn't have a good enough grip. I keep slipping off it and have to reposition my thumb. If only it was convex.

The M.O.B

Not saying the 3DS slider is bad, it's pretty good actually but personally I prefer analog sticks. I like the Vita sticks a bit more than the 3DS slider (IMO).

Me too, in some cases.

Some examples slide pads make more sense would be any game that operates on a flat plane, block puzzle games, top-down shooters, and generally any 2d games.

Sticks are better for games operating in "3d space", shooters, racing games, 3d sports games, etc.

But for a consoles (including Vita) that will mostly be 3d games and such, sticks are probably the way to go

zroid

Banned
Erm, why are people upset about the new start/select button placement? It's a clearly superior location -- you can actually reach the damn things without moving your hand.

Top Bottom