• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

Thoraxes

Well I will say that most games that I have played on the Wii have in fact been eye sores for me. Now, I haven't experienced them on Dolphin but I plan to and have high expectations that the eye sore issue will no longer be an issue. But yes, games on the Wii for a great many of us were and are eye sores when you compare the 360/PS3/PC versions. In three years from now, I don't see whats shocking to say that a PS3 game will also be an eye sore.

To me, console games already are due to their lower IQ compared to the PC counterparts.

I can deal with it for system exclusives, but anything I can get on PC I do that first; even if it means waiting a few months longer for it to release.

Every game I own on my Wii/PS3/360 are all exclusives. Not a single one of them is also on another system.

But... i'm not sure what this has to do with the redesigned Wii U controller. I'm glad it's got sticks instead of pads.

No nintendo handheld will ever become a PS3. They have mario and the almighty Pokemon that will forever keep their handhelds alive. The only Nintendo handheld that didn't sell as well was the GBA Micro and that was their own fault for sending it out with the DS, it was basically cannibalism. My point is, if Nintendo was going to do a price cut, they should have done the price cut the same day it was announced and not wait two-three weeks, so people that didn't care for the console (at $250) could not cheat their system and get their 20 free games + $80 less.
Not quite a handheld but:

VIRTUAL_BOY_sistem.png

Again, we don't know the circumstances and logistics behind the cut. I agree a same day move would have been good, but we don't know the workings behind that and if it was possible. As is there was only a 2 week window as is for a simultaneous worldwide cut.

And ultimately, Nintendo's not responsible for others cheating retail, so why are you blaming them for it? I mean, this is really your point of contention?

As a launch day 3DS owner, Nintendo's "bullshit move" benefitted me twice over (free games + platform viability), even if I payed an extra $80 to get the machine a third of a year earlier. I wonder how many Vita owners would reject similar treatment right about now?

KillGore

Not quite a handheld but:

VIRTUAL_BOY_sistem.png

Again, we don't know the circumstances and logistics behind the cut. I agree a same day move would have been good, but we don't know the workings behind that and if it was possible.

Why do people keep calling the virtual boy a handheld? You can't put it in your pocket, you can't use it while walking, you can't use it outside your house without being completely blinded from the outside world, and you can't hide it and use it in a boring class. Just because it uses a battery doesn't mean it's a portable handheld. Also, Pokemon didn't exist back then, and I believe the only mario game to be released was mario tennis? like I said, with those two huge juggernauts (main series mario and pokemon) Nintendo will never go down in the handheld division. I know you sai "not quite a handheld" but I've seen a few people who do say it's a handheld, when the only thing handheld like is that it uses batteries

Also, we've seen apple cut the price of their product the same day they announce it, it doesn't seem like an impossible thing IMO.

Why do people keep calling the virtual boy a handheld? You can't put it in your pocket, you can't use it while walking, you can't use it outside your house without being completely blinded from the outside world, and you can't hide it and use it in a boring class. Just because it uses a battery doesn't mean it's a portable handheld. Also, Pokemon didn't exist back then, and I believe the only mario game to be released was mario tennis? like I said, with those two huge juggernauts (main series mario and pokemon) Nintendo will never go down in the handheld division. I know you sai "not quite a handheld" but I've seen a few people who do say it's a handheld, when the only thing handheld like is that it uses batteries

Also, we've seen apple cut the price of their product the same day they announce it, it doesn't seem like an impossible thing IMO.
Uh, can you read? What did I preface the image with? Also, almost all your not-a-handheld disqualifiers also apply to DSi XL and a Super Mario Land platformer was announced and shown off for VB before the platform was killed.

The iPhone wasn't a worldwide product when Apple did the $100 cut, it was still US only at that point.

KillGore

Uh, can you read? What did I preface the image with? Also, almost all your not-a-handheld disqualifiers also apply to DSi XL and a Super Mario Land platformer was announced and shown off for VB before the platform was killed.

The iPhone wasn't a worldwide product when Apple did the $100 cut, it was still US only at that point.

Seems you weren't the one who read, I said "I know you said
but I've seen people saying it is a handheld" meaning I'm talking about those people who do call it a handheld. Also, DSiXL still fits the category. You can play while walking, you can see the world around you while playing it, it has batteries and

Also the iphone hasn't been the only apple product that the company slashed off the price the same day it was announced (the price cut)

Seems you weren't the one who read, I said "I know you said (quote) but I've seen people saying it is a handheld" meaning I'm talking about those people who do call it a handheld. Also, DSiXL still fits the category. You can play while walking, you can see the world around you while playing it, it has batteries and

Also the iphone hasn't been the only apple product that the company slashed off the price the same day it was announced (the price cut)
I know, and yet you still ranted about VB being called a handheld anyway when no one did that. I've also never seen anyone walk while playing a handheld except in that awful Vita commercial. VB takes batteries and lol @ fatpants.

Apple's rollouts tend to be incredibly well orchestrated and they've been getting more global with hardware launches, but again there's a difference in a planned pricecut and one that comes as a response. The iPhone/3DS cuts were quick responses, to which we fon't know the inner workings of and don't know if they could have been handled differently.

Even still, the iPhone price drop was problematic. AT&T found out about the drop hours before the public did and were wholly unpreapared for any marketing, PR or CS response. Also I misspoke earlier, the iPhone drop was $200 after 2 months. And Apple didn't announce the $100 store credit for early adopters with the drop either, that came a day later after heavy consumer outrage.

KillGore

I know, and yet you still ranted about VB being called a handheld anyway when no one did that. I've also never seen anyone walk while playing a handheld except in that awful Vita commercial. VB takes batteries and lol @ fatpants.

I ranted because the subject was placed in the thread. I've seen this statement even here in neogaf, I believe someone in here also mentioned it already and in other threads I've seen it so that's why I ranted about it. Actually, I always used to walk while playing my handhelds, nowadays I play my handhelds at home or the university, but when I was a kid I would always be walking in the mall with my gameboy in hand, it's not something new. Also, some people do wear fat pants, a lot, so it's not a uncommon practice, I don't but that doesn't mean others don't either. :p

Also, you're not going to be like this in a train, waiting at an office, or even the car
full_1330538049_93157aa987_z.jpg

I hear on the grape vine the guy who leaked the picture is now fired and may well be taken to court. A good lesson in breaking NDA's, don't do it. It can cost you your job, money and ruins things for everyone else. I doubt he'll ever get to work in the industry again.

7threst

I hear on the grape vine the guy who leaked the picture is now fired and may well be taken to court. A good lesson in breaking NDA's, don't do it. It can cost you your job, money and ruins things for everyone else. I doubt he'll ever get to work in the industry again.

What was that guy thinking? 5 minutes of internet fame or something? He should have known better I think.

Shiggy

Do you know more about the reaction inside the company?

AzaK

Pretty shithouse if a dude can get sacked for showing sticks on a controller. Sure he shouldn't have done it, and was likely under NDA, but man, there's bigger things to worry about than plastic knobs.

Sadist

Yikes. If a case such as this one goes to court, what kind of sanctions can you expect? I just want to get a clear picture of this situation.

Do you know more about the reaction inside the company?

Nope, sorry. I know I wouldn't be happy if I was them, though.

AzaK said:
Pretty shithouse if a dude can get sacked for showing sticks on a controller. Sure he shouldn't have done it, and was likely under NDA, but man, there's bigger things to worry about than plastic knobs.

A breach of contract is a breach of contract whatever it is you do IMO.

Azure J

Man, that's got to be some real shit for the guy. I bet he thought it wasn't even anything to get excited over when he posted that too.

Count me in as another one interested in finding out what that means for the company as a whole.

RagnarokX

He breached a contract and can never be trusted again.

If that's the case then what is the point of ndas? There had to be a threat of consequence.

Yikes! It's one thing to be willing to lose your job but taken to court too? Ouch. It was obviously a bad idea.

edit: He must not have leaked it very discretely either, how were people able figure out right away he was from TT and even his gamer tag? Did he brag about it somewhere?

Yikes! It's one thing to be willing to lose your job but taken to court too? Ouch. It was obviously a bad idea.

edit: He must not have leaked it very discretely either, how were people able figure out right away he was from TT and even his gamer tag? Did he brag about it somewhere?

Well, he had posted it on his Twitter as seen in the Joystiq article. A quick Google search of his Twitter name probably revealed a lot more than he thought it would.

Nintendo is publishing Lego City Stories and someone from that company decided it would be a good idea to leak something that Nintendo was trying to keep underwraps. So, just look at it from TT's perspective. This is the least that they have to do if they want to maintain a good relationship with Nintendo and potentially other publishers.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well, he had posted it on his Twitter as seen in the Joystiq article. A quick Google search of his Twitter name probably revealed a lot more than he thought it would.

That explained a lot about his deleted twitters. I felt bad for him but he dig his own grave after he posted the picture.

pax217

NDAs are serious business. No joke intended there at all, you don't mess around with those things. You just don't.

I've worked under one for three years. Had two co-workers leave and talk, both had suits filed against them in the same 6 month period. Not sure how they turned out because we're not allowed to talk to them, but it's crazy stuff.

Updated the OP with some info from our French Leaker IdeaMan.

IdeaMan said:
1 - The first, according to my sources, the screen size is slightly bigger. Less than an inch. The resolution hasn't changed though. So there would be a slight decrease in the PPI.

-> Nintendo warned developers of this several weeks ago, it is not obvious on the picture leaked, which would reinforce either the smallness of this increase, or the event that it wasn't implemented. Anyway, it should be taken into account in the comparisons, gif, etc, made between the E3 2011 DRC and this one, as the screen is not the same, therefore the proportions are not identical. People should not resize the new padlet in regard to the previous one, by assuming the screens could be fully juxtaposed.
-> This size alteration could hint toward a screen type change, we should see at E3 and compare its characteristics, brightness, contrast, overall quality, etc..

2 - This "new" screen is still not multi-touch apparently.

3 - The mysterious small square under the D-PAD, is not a vitality sensor, not even in a light version, not a touchpad, not a mini pulse sensor as on sports equipment, not a decorative thing, or whatever. This is the NFC sensor.

-> The demonstration of this feature in the Rayman leaked video isn't representative of how it will work, such a use could obviously have bad consequences for the screen if people would put figurines briskly on it.
-> This technology has an optimal range very limited (a few centimeters), placing the NFC chip in the middle of the controller, behind the screen, wouldn't have been good for several reasons (related to the display), and wouldn't be the most practical and efficient choice to recognize, to establish communication without any problems, with NFC tagged objects, and people would have put those very close to the screen with the risk to damage it.
-> Putting the sensor on one of the controller side, is a way to extend and clearly define the NFC range in this zone. When we lay it down on a table, our knees, etc, we can put more practically and safely in this virtual perimeter near the left DRC border NFC objects, some of which being heavy or with edges that could deteriorate the padlet.
-> It's possible, in order to properly recognize the location of the NFC, and to inform people of this feature, that there will be a sign, a sticker, on this square.

4 - The small button near the power remains mysterious for third-parties. It isn't a touchpad, an additional game input, or other exotic feature apparently. It may be related to the asymmetrical setting of the system. Basically, it could allow an instant switch between the TV and the DRC. Grain of salt for this.

5 - As I said, these changes are documented and third-parties are informed of those for months. It appears they just received the updated padlet. This could be due to logistics, manufacturing, delivery, etc., but it's certainly indicating Nintendo spent some time, until rather recently, to tweak and polish the DRC we'll see at E3.

Eric C

Updated the OP with some info from our French Leaker IdeaMan.

the screen size is slightly bigger. Less than an inch.

3 - The mysterious small square under the D-PAD, is not a vitality sensor, not even in a light version, not a touchpad, not a mini pulse sensor as on sports equipment, not a decorative thing, or whatever. This is the NFC sensor.

4 - The small button near the power remains mysterious for third-parties. It isn't a touchpad, an additional game input, or other exotic feature apparently. It may be related to the asymmetrical setting of the system. Basically, it could allow an instant switch between the TV and the DRC. Grain of salt for this.

So the screen is bigger, maybe it's something like 7 inches instead of 6.2?

Well, NFC sensor was the most logical guess.

And so we still don't know what that square button under the screen is for. hmmm

Oh yeah, duh. Forgot that's where he posted it. Probably a million safer and simpler ways to leak a pic than Twitter. That's about as un-anonymous as he could've done it. Very stupid. He probably had too much of his workspace and the dev attachment showing in the photo as well.

AzaK

If he can't be trusted with that what can he be trusted with?

Probably things much more important. Not defending him, it was stupid and he should not have done it, but if this resulted in firing (and we don't know) I think that's a bit far to be honest. I'll let this rest cause really, we have no idea who he is, what happened, had he done it before etc etc. And it's actually pretty unimportant :p

Speaking of leaks, I remember Cheesemeister tweeted that Universal NBC served papers to Ubi Soft over the Rayman Legends trailer (since it was unfinished and featured music from some of their movies) but I wonder if any of the people at the video editing company got served as well over that. Surely at the least someone was fired for that one too.

Top Bottom