• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Next Xbox to be named 'Xbox Fusion' according to domain names

CronoShot

I don't know, but I hardly remember it being for sale.. It has got to be the shortest lived product from Apple in recent history. As of now they have the fantastic situation of having 3 iPad products available. iPad, iPad 2 and iPad mini. "Yes sir, iPad 2 is the old one, the one called just 'iPad' is in fact the 4th generation iPad." The question is where do they go from here? Will the 5th generation be called just 'iPad' as well, renaming the current iPad to iPad 4, and discontinuing iPad 2? Maybe. But I think Apple is the only company in the world who can pull this off, because they have their dedicated stores, or dedicated shop-in-shop setups, where Apple employees are always ready to explain the products.

Technically the iPad 3 was "The new iPad" and iPad 4 is "iPad with retina display." So the 5th gen could just be called iPad 5, or "iPad with *insert new feature here*" But I digress.

I think out of all the possible names, I liked Xbox 8 the best. Xbox Fusion just sounds...I don't know, juvenile? Seems like a name an 11 year old would come up with.

FordGTGuy

Banned
All these car names...

What's next?

Escape?
Jump out
Mustang?
Focus?
Fiesta?

You do realize Fusion and Infinite were words before cars existed right?

What am I saying, you're just looking for any excuse you can to troll the Xbox.

Ricker

i kind of like durango, let's leave it that way.

It's because we are use to it already...I remember when they announced the name Dreamcast,I thought man that's a weird name but got use to it...but no way will it be called Durango,that is the official dev name and all,those usually don't stick for release ;)

Fusion... bleh: Xbox Fission, Xbox Nuclear, Xbox Solar, Xbox Oil.
Infinity... what are they going to name the next one (after durango)? Infinity + 1? Infinity implies forever, which leaves no room for a sucessor
Xbox... i like it, keep it simple

or

Change the name entirely.

itsgreen

Infinity... what are they going to name the next one (after durango)? Infinity + 1? Infinity implies forever, which leaves no room for a sucessor

or

"I got this Xbox game and it won't work in my Xbox."

Applies to both 360 game in 720 and 720 game in 360.

FordGTGuy

Banned

or

Or you know they could call it Xbox Infinite and then just call it something else after that....

artist

Banned
Fusion of entertainment (TV)
Fusion of motion control (Kinect)
Fusion of apps
Fusion of devices (always connected)
Fusion of services (no used games)
Fusion of networks (social)
Fusion of BC with 360
Fusion of APUs (Dual-APU)
Fusion of Memory (ESRAM+DDR3)
Fusion of games
Fusion of Fusion

Seriously though, Fusion doesnt have a good feel to it. I dont see Mattrick liking this name.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
First Wii U and now possibly this Fusion name for the next Xbox?

Good thing for Sony that their console simply adds a number to Playstation brand. Makes life a lot easier.

I like consoles with names, reminds me of the old Sega days.

Double D

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I don't think Fusion will be the name of the system. Seems like 'Xbox Fusion' will be a concept of sorts dealing with the UI and/or the interactivity of everything working together.

Or you know they could call it Xbox Infinite and then just call it something else after that....

Sure, they can do whatever they want, but i like to think MS has at least a basic understanding of semantics. Their ability to "just call it something else after that.....", also doesn't prevent me from making a valid logical point.

Words have meaning, and Infinity means forever. As in, nothing greater, no end. Actually, now that i think about it, you are right, MS made the same mistake when they named the last box "360" which suffers from the same basic problem. 360 is a closed loop.

It doesn't seem like a terrible name, it's better than something like Xbox 720. I really can't see the naming system going from Xbox - Xbox 360 - Xbox.

FordGTGuy

Banned
what does this mean in Dragon Ball Z terms?

MszH9rX.gif

Xbox Fusion gets my vote. It sounds better than Infinity.
And on May 21 I will never see "Durango" in the threads on GAF anymore.

The most stupid code name of all time.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It will be called Xbox. And the set top box that will be released later will be called Xbox TV. Then there is that smaller surface. That might have a xbox branding too.

Orbis

Xbox Fusion gets my vote. It sounds better than Infinity.
And on May 21 I will never see "Durango" in the threads on GAF anymore.

The most stupid code name of all time.
It's only as stupid as many other code names. I could never imagine an actual retail console being called Durango though. Orbis almost would've been possible given that there was also Vita; both Latin words meaning World and Life respectively; but I never thought it was likely, despite my username.

But hey, we ended up with Wii, so we'll surely see more adventurous names in the future.

Xbox Fusion or Infinity/e seem like good names to me. Loop sounds weird. Just plain 'Xbox' would be a poor choice, much like Apple's weird iPad naming scheme (iPad -> iPad 2 -> iPad -> iPad). 720 seems unlikely. Xbox 8 would make sense given the existence of Windows 8 and WP8, but I'm not a fan.

oVerde

Banned
My internal friends all call Durango as New Xbox. Doesn't mean shit, but just telling that or they ain't got the new name yet or it's really just Xbox.

itsgreen

My internal friends all call Durango as New Xbox. Doesn't mean shit, but just telling that or they ain't got the new name yet or it's really just Xbox.

Also note they probably won't tell people who don't need to know.

Not many people need to know the final name to do their job.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That, in my humble opinion, is a really shit name for a console. Hopefully this is the name for their TV service or something like that.

Xbox is a pretty shit name for a console, too, but shit names have never stopped Microsoft.

Fox Mulder

Not the greatest name, but Fusion still isn't as stupid as 360.

I still think Xbox is doable in this era of Apple product naming. It's not like people will actually confuse a new hyped $400+ console with the original Xbox that can only be found at pawn shops for $20.

EvB

Wasn't this name rumoured like a year ago?

I honestly can't see them only just registering the final name for their product, 3 weeks before it's announced.

Bgamer90

Banned
"Infinity" sounds much better than "Fusion" in my opinion.

Plus the former name could be used in many ways.

The infinity symbol looks like two circles -- two 360 degree shapes -- Xbox 360 2 -- the sequel to Xbox 360.

The infinity symbol looks like an eight turn to its side -- Windows Eight

Infinity > 4 (in "PS4"; One of the reasons why MS didn't call the 360 the "Xbox 2" was because it would sound less "high tech" in comparison to the PS3)

"Infinite entertainment... Infinite possibilities..." would make a good tagline too.

Haha, guess I'm stretching things a bit but I just think that it's a better name.

Noema

They should just call it Xbox 8. Makes no sense but it'd even out their branding. It's not like Windows 8 is the 8th version of Windows, anyway.

Plus if you rotate 8 90 degrees it becomes an Infinity symbol. You are welcome, Microsoft.

Top Bottom