• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Nintendo & Disney?! Nintendo & Amazon?! It may happen!

That never happened, but Shinji Mikami once got so mad at Ballmer being late for a meeting that he walked out of it and immediately took an offer for Resident Evil to Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Disney makes sense. Lot's of crossover game possibility, blending of Infinity and Amiibo in games etc.

Amazon less so as a partnership. With Nintendo's mobile games, no reason their games wouldn't end up on iOS and Android--and with the latter on Amazon's app marketplace since it's Android based. I'm not sure what apps Amazon has to offer that are of interest to Nintendo's next portable or handheld.

If the rumor was Nintendo and Amazon partnering on hardware, that could make more sense. There's been lots of rumors of Amazon wanting to get into gaming beyond the gaming version of the Fire TV. So one could see a partnership there with a new fire TV that could play Nintendo VC games, or even the lower speced NX games (if that does end up being an OS with multiple hardware configurations). It wouldn't be unlike the Panasonic version of the GameCube.

Derphoof

Imagine a 3D mario game in Disney universes molded to perfection by the geniuses of EAD.........................

image.php

Luke_Wal

If Nintendo and Disney joined together, it would mark the second Disney partner to have already signed a deal with Universal Studios... That would be a bummer.

But:

2006: Disney buys The Muppets
2009: Disney buys Marvel
2012: Disney buys Lucasfilm
2015: Disney buys Nintendo???

That's what I've been predicting will happen since 2012. I would love to see it come true.

Somnid

Disney makes since. Lot's of crossover game possibility, blending of Infinity and Amiibo in games etc.

Amazon less so as a partnership. With Nintendo's mobile games, no reason their games wouldn't end up on iOS and Android--and with the latter on Amazon's app marketplace since it's Android based. I'm not sure what apps Amazon has to offer that are of interest to Nintendo's next portable or handheld.

If the rumor was Nintendo and Amazon partnering on hardware, that could make more sense. There's been lots of rumors of Amazon wanting to get into gaming beyond the gaming version of the Fire TV. So one could see a partnership there with a new fire TV that could play Nintendo VC games, or even the lower speced NX games (if that does end up being an OS with multiple hardware configurations). It wouldn't be unlike the Panasonic version of the GameCube.

I doubt they would collaborate collaborate on hardware or digital stores. Those are Nintendo's bread and butter and they won't share them. It sounds specifically like Amazon does not want to be left out as many devs opt to publish solely on Google Play since it's the defacto standard on Android phones. Nintendo has leverage here because Amazon really needs this. Currently Amazon game studios has a few games that are high quality and more core oriented but lacking exposure in the broader market. Getting those and future development could be a worthwhile exchange as Amazon could be a useful third party given their resources.

I only see Android emulation in the sense that Nintendo wants more than games, they want apps to better compete with phones and tablets and they want an easy path for mobile devs to bring content to their platform. To better survive they need interest from those devs, because the future EAs and Activisions are coming from the mobile space.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I actually mis-interpreted. The changes in Japan's Corporate Governance Code actually only specify that 2 individuals from outside of the company be named to the executive board. Many Japanese companies have been interpreting that as bringing in foreigners to their board of directors, especially global companies. Japan's Prime Minister, however, had hoped that it would bring better diversity in general, including women who do not normally become part of the top executive levels of corporate Japan.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/07f6ea62-0767-11e5-9579-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3e1we68Mr

The last bolded portion is very very interesting, because it casts a lot of doubt on things remaining "business as usual" for any Japanese company, video game publishers included. If assets aren't being utilized or drastically under-perform, pressure will be on to jettison those assets. *stares at Konami and Sega*

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-05-14/corporate-japan-answers-to-nobody

Nintendo's shareholder meeting on the 26th will likely address these governance changes that the prime minister is pushing for. During this year's general meeting, where they will discuss their year-end financials, Naoki Mizutani, an Auditor for the board, will end his term on the Board of Directors, with other auditors ending their term on the board in the following year. So an appointment of at least one or two new board members is expected to be on the table for this coming year.

Thanks very much for that!

guek

Banned
Does Disney have any licensed stuff at their parks? I thought ti was strictly stuff they owned. Nintendo making that deal with Universal, yet still making other deals with Disney doesn't seem too far fetched.

I asked this earlier but never got an answer. I don't think they do.

Who

Banned
If Disney can do for Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, what they did for Marvel and Star Wars... I'm all in.

Josh5890

Nintendo has a deal with Universal Studios theme park so I have a hard time with the Disney rumor. The Amazon rumor does make a little more sense though. Again, taking it with a grain of salt.

It doesn't help that there is so much uncertainty right now with where Nintendo is going for the next 5 years or so.

guek

Banned
Aren't they making an Avatar World or something?

Oh, I guess so. I dunno then.

Nintendo has a deal with Universal Studios theme park so I have a hard time with the Disney rumor. The Amazon rumor does make a little more sense though. Again, taking it with a grain of salt.

It doesn't help that there is so much uncertainty right now with where Nintendo is going for the next 5 years or so.

Marvel had a longstanding deal with Universal before partnering with Disney as well. There's still Marvel stuff at Universal Studios themeparks.

Nintendo Disney deal sounds false as Disney wouldn't make a deal for films unless they also had the right to exploit those feanchises in the park which can't happen because of universal deal. I'm calling bs on the rumor.

AniHawk

i'm sure it's been said in this thread already, but disney and nintendo go way back. not that they don't have a lot of business together at the moment, but it makes sense to partner with those guys if you're trying to strike up some sort of licensing deal and get people more interested in your brands.

hell, universal seems to be doing good so far this year too.

maruchan

Oh, I guess so. I dunno then.

Marvel had a longstanding deal with Universal before partnering with Disney as well. There's still Marvel stuff at Universal Studios themeparks.
that deal only applies to orlando.. thats why you have avengers running around tomrrowland at disneyland.. and not a wdw

AniHawk

Nintendo Disney deal sounds false as Disney wouldn't make a deal for films unless they also had the right to exploit those feanchises in the park which can't happen because of universal deal. I'm calling bs on the rumor.

i don't think the company revolves around what happens in the park. if there was wreck it ralph 2 with mario co-starring, mario could still appear on merchandise and movie-related stuff that could appear in the park.

The Argus

I asked this earlier but never got an answer. I don't think they do.

Well they have Star Tours (Wars) and the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland, and show at World long before they purchased Lucasfilm. But that was because Lucas only trusted Disney's Imagineers. They now have an Avatar land coming up in Animal Kingdom as mentioned above. Besides that everything is based off an established IP or an all new story.

tebunker

Banned
If Nintendo and Disney joined together, it would mark the second Disney partner to have already signed a deal with Universal Studios... That would be a bummer.

But:

2006: Disney buys The Muppets
2009: Disney buys Marvel
2012: Disney buys Lucasfilm
2015: Disney buys Nintendo???

That's what I've been predicting will happen since 2012. I would love to see it come true.

I'd have to look but I am pretty sure that Disbey doesn't have the Billions, yes Billions, needed set aside in a M&A on any of their financials. Even with stock swaps and cash they would still need to have that capital stock and cash set aside already.

What's Nintendo's market cap right now? I am pretty sure it's in the double digit billions. That's not including just the inherent value of the Nintendo name and IP.

Not saying it couldn't happen but it would be one of if not the largest acquisition Disney has ever made.

They have the stock value to pull it off but you're talking about an extremely conservative Japanese company so it would take an amazing offer and Disney would have to let Nintendo still have a lot of control of its own Destiny.

i don't think the company revolves around what happens in the park.
It does essentially revolve around being exceptionally good at leveraging intellectual property across an entire portfolio of both media and physical products. So it's a somewhat valid point.

I mean something like Mario being included in a Wreck-It Ralph sequel seems entirely plausible. Or producing a video game together.

But I don't know if I can see Nintendo ceding [sufficient] control of merchandising rights to warrant much more than that, and some of the notions in this thread seem fanciful. Above all, at the end of the day, Disney do not particularly need Nintendo for much of anything, and I don't really know if people on here completely grasp the relative size and power of these two companies.

SmithnCo

Does Disney have any licensed stuff at their parks? I thought ti was strictly stuff they owned. Nintendo making that deal with Universal, yet still making other deals with Disney doesn't seem too far fetched.

Avatar is the big one recently. Other than that they have deals here and there. CBS for Twilight Zone in Tower of Terror, etc.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It does essentially revolve around being exceptionally good at leveraging intellectual property across an entire portfolio of both media and physical products. So it's a somewhat valid point.

I mean something like Mario being included in a Wreck-It Ralph sequel seems entirely plausible. Or producing a video game together.

But I don't know if I can see Nintendo ceding [sufficient] control of merchandising rights to warrant much more than that, and some of the notions in this thread seem fanciful. Above all, at the end of the day, Disney do not particularly need Nintendo for much of anything, and I don't really know if people on here completely grasp the relative size and power of these two companies.

Disney would be more interested in preventing competitors from working with them then they would "need" them directly. They are very shrewed with cornering a demographic through exclusivity.

Also Nintendo is in talks with a few companies about listening game deals with Mario

Isn't Nintendo land only going to be in Orlando as well?
I think the deal includes Hollywood but the belief is that Orlando will be able to do much more with the space there. Just like Disneyland, Universal in California doesn't have a lot of space to work with.

AniHawk

i'm just saying that if mario was in a wreck it ralph movie and disney wanted to make a wreck it ralph ride, they'd probably be able to do that and feature mario as a character from said movie. they wouldn't automatically have the right to plaster mario as a 'disney character' on everything though, which i imagine will be way more in the realm of what universal will be doing.

disney has this weird flirting interest with the video game industry. i think they recognize its potential to reach a young crowd, so they do stuff like kingdom hearts, epic mickey, and disney infinity, but it's usually way after the ground work has been laid by other people. i don't think they're out to buy nintendo, but if they were to buy nintendo, they'd have immediate access to a company deeply engrained in the industry that has a long history of successfully reaching a crowd disney would probably be interested in reaching.

I'd have to look but I am pretty sure that Disbey doesn't have the Billions, yes Billions, needed set aside in a M&A on any of their financials. Even with stock swaps and cash they would still need to have that capital stock and cash set aside already.

What's Nintendo's market cap right now? I am pretty sure it's in the double digit billions. That's not including just the inherent value of the Nintendo name and IP.

Not saying it couldn't happen but it would be one of if not the largest acquisition Disney has ever made.

They have the stock value to pull it off but you're talking about an extremely conservative Japanese company so it would take an amazing offer and Disney would have to let Nintendo still have a lot of control of its own Destiny.

Depends on how many billions you'd think it would take, as Marvel and Star Wars went for 4 each. I'd be surprised if Nintendo wanted to sell though.

That's like, maybe one other princess aside from Daisy

BuggyMike

Why should you choose the NX version of the latest Kingdom Hearts? This version is a slightly altered version of the game with Mario as a playable character, there's also exclusive dlc where they visit the mushroom kingdom :D

i be dreamin' but thatd be cool as fux

Why should you choose the NX version of the latest Kingdom Hearts? This version is a slightly altered version of the game with Mario as a playable character, there's also exclusive dlc where they visit the mushroom kingdom :D

i be dreamin' but thatd be cool as fux
I've been hoping for this for awhile. KH3 will likely release close to the NX, NX likely supporting UE4.
Would be a key 3rd party title Nintendo should really consider getting.
Could be something like amiibo summons.
Tap down Link and he shows up with a Nomura redesign. Something like that. Or, preferably a Nintendo level though that might be a bit much

First thing that comes to my mind about Disney x Nintendo would be a wonderful "Disney Pixar Nintendo animated movie"
Wreck it Ralf was Disney animation, not Pixar. I think it would suit them better than Pixar, tbh. They don't have much that's Nintendo-y. Brave is close to being Zelda like, but that's awful

Top Bottom