• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Paper Mario Wii U in development (Intelligent Systems)

Not to pile on the game, but while Sticker Star may have sold over two million copies, anecdotally a lot of people bought that game very cheap and a number of people on the boards talk about seeing cases of $5 or $10 copies at flea markets and the like. I haven't seen this myself but I can certainly accept it was probably overshipped compared to PM64 and TTYD. I think SPM was reprinted at like $20 so it's a bit of a different situation.

If you're gonna factor in reprints, Paper Mario TTYD received at least two reprints, once when it went player's choice and again with the "best seller" logo on the cover. PM64 didn't receive as good of a print run due to being an N64 game released in the year 2001. I think the only 2001 N64 gme to sell really well might have been Mario Party 3.

EDIT: Dear god it finally happened. I double-posted by accident! My bad, mods.

pirata

I know it's echoing everything everyone's been saying in this thread, but I hope they got the message after Sticker Star that people want a real follow-up to The Thousand-Year Door. It's been over a decade now. A decade! Those Mario and Luigi games on the handhelds are good, but nothing compares to the N64 and Gamecube masterpieces. I was so excited for Paper Mario on the 3DS when the first footage came out and so, so bummed when I saw what it became and that it was the result of Miyamoto upending the tea-table again. Like Wii Music, it's a reminder that not everything he touches turns to gold.

EDIT:

If you're gonna factor in reprints, Paper Mario TTYD received at least two reprints, once when it went player's choice and again with the "best seller" logo on the cover.

I'm pretty sure that "best seller" logo was always there, since I preordered the game and got it the day it came out (I was actually sick to my stomach and was home from school, and my mom went to Gamestop to pick it up for me to play while home sick. It made me feel way better, of course!) and my copy has it. I always thought it was funny, since they obviously put it on there before it had sold at all in the US.

Waiting Patiently....
jhtdqbmlxf3ic0duwkji.gif

Zimmy64

I want to believe just because we've had no E3 rumors and I want a new (good) Paper Mario. I'm not sure though. There have been so many Paper Mario rumors in the past year something must be up. I'm cautiously optimistic.

jholmes

If you're gonna factor in reprints, Paper Mario TTYD received at least two reprints, once when it went player's choice and again with the "best seller" logo on the cover.

I'm pretty sure that "best seller" logo was always there, since I preordered the game and got it the day it came out (I was actually sick to my stomach and was home from school, and my mom went to Gamestop to pick it up for me to play while home sick. It made me feel way better, of course!) and my copy has it. I always thought it was funny, since they obviously put it on there before it had sold at all in the US.

I also pre-ordered TTYD and it has that ridiculous "best seller" thing. But my point wasn't that the first two games didn't sell well, but that Super Paper Mario sold really well with a $20 reprint on a crazy-selling console, and its four million or so copies contrast with Sticker Star possibly getting overshipped and put in bargain bins at two million units.

AniHawk

sticker star was great, but i don't see that format working in the console space. hopefully it's not wasted potential like super paper mario if it's true though.

entremet

I've enjoyed all the Paper Mario games, even the controversial Sticker Star, so bring it on.

I haven't played 64, though.

HoJu

Sticker Star was pretty bad and i hope they make a true PM 3.
and was there any confirmation of the rumour? i mean even if the mystery japanese person did meet with intelligent systems employees, why would they spill about an announced game?

Banned
As long as Miyamoto is locked in a closet during the development process I'm all for it. I actually liked Super but would prefer a TTYD HD type game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really want Paper Luigi based on his the stories that he told Mario from thousand year door. :p
I would love this, too, but not in place of a brand new adventure.

Perfect for DLC, though.

Zimmy64

So what party members would everyone want in a new Paper Mario. I'm thinking a

Shy Guy
Chain Chomp
Chargin Chuck
Hammer/Fire/Ice/Boomerang Bro
Spike

That's all I can think of now. They're probably more.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Shy Guy
Chain Chomp
Chargin Chuck
Spike

Shy Guy
Blue dinosaur thing from Mario World
Para-troopa
New thing (Maybe a cloud person in homage to Mallow)
Toad (not the Toad, a Toad)
Whatever Rawk Hawk is

Also a playable Luigi in some form or another.

Favorite game of all time. Have it sitting in my N64 right behind me. Thousand Year Door is even better.

My god I love this series.

Please don't break my heart again Nintendo.

ffdgh

Shy Guy
Chain Chomp
Chargin Chuck
Spike

Hammer bro more than anything else.
Shy guy (with a spear)
Chain chomp
Fuzzy
Ukiki
Penguin

Funny, I just started playing Sticker Star today.

Don't make this game anything like Sticker Star, Intelligent Systems.

fernoca

Could mean absolutely nothing, but NOA posted this last July.
Hmm...anyone knows the origin of that Paper Mario?
Nintendo has been into handcrafted stuff with Kirby (clay) and Yoshi (yarn) and not only as inspiration but also using them for the games.

So..a Paper Mario made out of actual paper materials (like canson paper -as that image kinda shows..or just construction paper-) would be quite nice.

Instead of vectors which is what I'd expect anyway.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One thing that Sticker Star did I'd like to see more of is more canon characters getting into the mix...not at that expense of new ones, but I would like to see perhaps Bowser Jr., Wario and Waluigi, Daisy, hell, Donkey Kong, appear in somewhat sufficient roles and get some more character to them compared to the main series.

J@hranimo

Banned
Actually I can see this possibly being that Wii U remaster for this year.

I can see TTYD HD being a thing. It's another Gamecube game, they wouldn't have to do too much and they can optimize it for the gamepad.

Yeah, if this happens at E3 remember this post lol.

Reveirg

I have no idea what to make of the source and am confused as to why we should take this "evidence" seriously. Then again I don't read Japanese so there's no way for me to judge? I'm lost!

I'd be psyched for a new Wii U RPG. However, I only played the first Paper Mario and didn't like it that much. A bit too simple for my tastes, though it did have a lot of charm. I heard TTYD was much better but I'll be holding on in case the game here is an HD remake.

DNAbro

I have no idea what to make of the source and am confused as to why we should take this "evidence" seriously. Then again I don't read Japanese so there's no way for me to judge? I'm lost!

it's just some guy from 2chan who went to a career thing. There is no proof other than the fact he went and Intelligent Systems was there and he talked to them.

SuomiDude

How so? There haven't been any partner characters that are established characters of the series.
He's been so succesful lately, from Super Mario Galaxy 2 to Super Mario 3D World to his own game Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, so I have a strong feeling that he's oing to be in.

ffdgh

He's been so succesful lately, from Super Mario Galaxy 2 to Super Mario 3D World to his own game Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, so I have a strong feeling that he's oing to be in.

Let's not forget galaxy 1. :p
I expect a cameo apprearance at best like toadette in TTYD.

Sterok

Not sure where people are getting the idea that SPM was frustrating/tedious at times. I mean it was, but I remember TTYD being much worse about it, and often for no reason. Especially that part where you had to run all over the map multiple times. Almost killed my interest in the game until I got back to the good stuff.

I mean, how is he a given in the context of a Paper Mario game? I can see him having a cameo appearance not unlike Luigi or Toadsworth, but a partner?

jonno394

Yes bring the paper mario series back to consoles and leave it there. I always liked the idea of paper series for consoles and mario & luigi rpg series for handheld. Plenty of mario rpg love all round!

Edit - not to get too distracted but I wonder what alpha dream have been up to for the last (nearly) 2 years. ..

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I just hope the next Paper Mario (which is gonna happen eventually whether this rumor is true or not) is much more like the first 3 games in terms of tone, humor, characters, story, etc. Say what you will about SPM
I love it, personally
but it still had the heart and soul of a PM game, even if the gameplay was radically different.

One of the biggest problems with Sticker Star, beyond all the issues I have with the gameplay, was that it felt like another sterile Mario game, instead of it's own separate thing. Same world themes as NSMB (though I did love the papercraft look), generic enemy types, little to no real text or humor or story, heck I forget if Bowser even says anything in it. To go from having some of the best lines in the series to the regular old big bad who says pretty much nothing is crushing. It's just such a bland, nothing game. I could have tried to look past this stuff if the game itself was fun, but it just wasn't to me.

this topic has been beaten to death already... I just hope they don't repeat the same mistakes they made with Sticker Star. I'm honestly fine if they want to keep experimenting with the series (though I definitely wouldn't mind a return to the first 2 games' style), I just really want them to return to the quirky humor and stories and worlds of the older games above all else.

Yeah, you just can't get away with a Mario platformer style story combined with turn based RPG/adventure gameplay. You need the good story elements to carry the toned down gameplay of an RPG/adventure. I really hope they learned their lesson there.

SolVanderlyn

Actually I can see this possibly being that Wii U remaster for this year.

I can see TTYD HD being a thing. It's another Gamecube game, they wouldn't have to do too much and they can optimize it for the gamepad.

Yeah, if this happens at E3 remember this post lol.
This better not happen. I just replayed it on GCN. Please, Nintendo, no.

Yes bring the paper mario series back to consoles and leave it there. I always liked the idea of paper series for consoles and mario & luigi rpg series for handheld. Plenty of mario rpg love all round!

Edit - not to get too distracted but I wonder what alpha dream have been up to for the last (nearly) 2 years. ..

Wario & Waluigi RPG believe.

Or maybe something less likely to flush money down the drain.

Wikipedia sure does make it look like they basically don't develop anything except M&L rpgs and hamtaro games. Therefore the smart money must be on Hamtaro.

I can't imagine them getting large enough to make a console retail title so it must be downloadable or another 3ds game. If we don't hear anything this year i'll change that prediction to M&L NX

Chibo

Neo Member
Aside from a rare few poorly paced areas I can't really think of a single thing that's "artfully frustrating" (or any kind of frustrating) about the first two games. Sticker Star just fucking sucks and the combat system literally hates you, SPM is eh. Sounds like you're working backwards from the massive flaws of the last two games.

I hope we're not comparing a single section of Peach baking a cake in 1 and the tree in TTYD to the entire gameplay overhaul of Super Paper Mario and the deliberately annoying primary gameplay mechanic of Sticker Star.

I think about half my posts on this message board so far are defending Sticker Star, but I do sincerely think it's the best game I've played since Persona 4 and probably the best game on the 3DS. It was the first time in years I actually felt clever solving puzzles, and that comes directly from its obtuseness. A minute observation (this fish inflates itself before it splashes on top of me) leads to a hypothesis (maybe I should use that pointy helmet sticker I saw earlier) and new observations (I need to pop that fish before it gets too big next time). It's trial and error, but it's thoughtful trial and error, and I enjoyed every time it tricked me.

There was a Sherlock Holmes game that was recently a freebie through Playstation Plus, but it never gave the feeling like I observed something and made a deduction. It was like one of those point and clicks where you go over every pixel until things work out. Sticker Star was the Sherlock Holmes game I wanted. Everything has clues, and unlike some other Nintendo games, the helper character doesn't point them out to you. "There are some animal tracks here. Do you have any idea what could have made them?" No one says that, and it's so refreshing, especially after trying to play Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

The first two Paper Marios are frustrating in that they don't have interesting puzzles. There's very little insight to be had on the player's part, other than learning the timing of enemy attacks. When the games made me say "Do they really want me to do that?" as in the hamster wheel of Super Paper Mario, it was far less of a grind than regular RPG battles, and I hope the series goes further in that direction.

jonno394

Wario & Waluigi RPG believe.

Or maybe something less likely to flush money down the drain.

Wikipedia sure does make it look like they basically don't develop anything except M&L rpgs and hamtaro games. Therefore the smart money must be on Hamtaro.

I can't imagine them getting large enough to make a console retail title so it must be downloadable or another 3ds game. If we don't hear anything this year i'll change that prediction to M&L NX

I'd love wario and waluigi to be rivals in any new title. Maybe not the antagonists but characters trying to save the mushroom Kingdom in their own way. Bumbling comic relief at its best.

A Mario RPG dedicated segment at E3 unveiling both a new Paper Mario and a new Mario & Luigi rpg title would be amazing!

Crayolan

Not sure where people are getting the idea that SPM was frustrating/tedious at times. I mean it was, but I remember TTYD being much worse about it, and often for no reason. Especially that part where you had to run all over the map multiple times. Almost killed my interest in the game until I got back to the good stuff.

Chapter 2-2 (whichever is the one where you need a million rubees) is repetitive and boring.

Chapter 4-1 and 4-3 are mazelike messes with poor controls to boot.

All of Chapter 5 is bleh. Especially the super fucking cryptic thing you have to do at the very start which I don't even remember anymore.

Chapter 6 is an interesting idea on paper but not all that interesting in actuality. It doesn't go on so long that it's too much of an annoyance though. And that stretch of empty white space you walk through could stand to be a bit shorter.

All of Chapter 8 is very samey. It's normal for Chapter 8 to just be one big dungeon in Paper Mario but each section in SPM is way too similar as opposed to PM64 or TTYD. It starts to drag by section 3 and at section 4 I'm just stuck wondering when it'll finally be over.

Also, in the hub world I never enjoyed looking for the heart pillars. In TTYD I was always excited to head back to the thousand year door and see what was up for me next, but in SPM I just wanted to hurry up and get to the next level. Tbh it felt like padding.

For the record, I don't think SPM is shit, but it's not that great either. It's just okay.

Top Bottom