• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

DaBuddaDa

Launching on a Monday is a bit odd, isn't it?

Historically:

PS1: Saturday
PS2: Thursday
PS3: Friday
PSP: Thursday
Vita: Wednesday

Seik

Banned
Good for Sony if that's the real date, they'll steal a lot of sales with an entire month ahead of the competition.

KOHIPEET

Dunno, more like at the end of october, around the 28th or 30th. Launching even just 10 days before your competitor can gain significan share.

My thought is that if we see retail-ready PS4s playing launch games on them, then there's a chance for an end-october launch.

Lumyst

Well, I wouldn't be surprised, Sony's been keen to one-up Microsoft so far, so a few weeks before Xbox One launches wouldn't be too far-fetched. (I'll join the "my wallet is a little apprehensive" crowd though.)

Now if Sony could announce some more interesting games at Gamecom to give me incentive buying that thing on launch day, they would get my money earlier than expected.

Nibel

FFS, the launch lineup doesn't appeal to me in any way and yet I'm hyped for this

Hope this will be world wide or Europe + USA at least

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'll cancel my pre-order and wait for the Black Friday sale.

You ain't getting a deal on a brand new system

Maybe a bundle, but a little cheaper depending on the bundle

No way in hell any retailer is going to slash PS4 or X1 for BF

Your better to keep your Pre-Order and get it that way

I've been doing Black Friday since 2008, so 5 years, I have some good experience on what will be sold @ what prices

Best Buy might give you their white glove geek squad warranty at a 25% discount or they throw in a charger cradle/extra controller/maybe a PS $$ Card or PS+ 1 year service and sell PS4 @$499 to match X1

Walmart would do the same thing

No retailer is going to take a loss on those consoles, none are that desperate for traffic

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Seems a week to early to me. How many third party titles would even be ready at this date?

If it's true then developers are aware and they're crunching hard to be ready. No doubt you would stuff like ACIV and Battlefield 4 move up a week.

Einbroch

Banned
What if this is a Vita revision oh god

I think it is. It's a week before Battlefield 4 and all the November releases. It doesn't make sense. They'll have a much stronger launch lineup waiting a week or two.

Get the new Vita into people's hands, let them see what it's all about, flaunt how it's going to integrate with the PS4 to get people hyped for that...

I just can't see it launching so soon. MAYBE launching the 29th with Battlefield 4.

dionysus

Yaldog
Edit. Nevermind, recollection failed me from other thread. He did say there is evidence this is a new console, not just a revision of an existing console.

boinx

Is it happening? If it is then it's time to break it down

irngu5KWihufv.gif

driver116

You ain't getting a deal on a brand new system

Maybe a bundle, but a little cheaper depending on the bundle

No way in hell any retailer is going to slash PS4 or X1 for BF

Your better to keep your Pre-Order and get it that way

I've been doing Black Friday since 2008, so 5 years, I have some good experience on what will be sold @ what prices

Best Buy might give you their white glove geek squad warranty at a 25% discount or they throw in a charger cradle/extra controller/maybe a PS $$ Card or PS+ 1 year service and sell PS4 @$499 to match X1

Walmart would do the same thing

No retailer is going to take a loss on those consoles, none are that desperate for traffic

It will probably be sold out for weeks after launch anyway.

Dat Halloween marketing, "You're in for a treat with the PS4" or something that someone else can come up with lol

I might cancel mine since there really aren't any games I want coming out for it for a while. Still have PS3 to catch up on :)

Hystzen

Seems a week to early to me. How many third party titles would even be ready at this date?

3rd party been ready at launch not really that big a deal it more are 1st party ready. 3rd party next gen games are due week later and during november so no need to move dates

Skeff

oh...I've been budgeting for a November launch, gunna have to try and sweet talk the girlfriend if its oct 21st.

Gamerloid

I think it is. It's a week before Battlefield 4 and all the November releases. It doesn't make sense. They'll have a much stronger launch lineup waiting a week or two.

Get the new Vita into people's hands, let them see what it's all about, flaunt how it's going to integrate with the PS4 to get people hyped for that...

I just can't see it launching so soon. MAYBE launching the 29th with Battlefield 4.

You bring up some good points, and I'd be interested in a new Vita model since I don't have one. Best thing they could do is have this one accept any SD card. That could help it without dropping the price.

Scoot2005

Banned
I have no intention of buying the PS4 or the XBONE. I have to say though... If this is true Sony nailed this launch all across the board. It has plenty of time to establish itself before the holidays. We know Sony is great at marketing. Black Friday is going to be hell for me. I work at Walmart. Son of a bitch.

Very good strategic date: right after GTAV and right before Xbone launch. But are all launch games ready, though? Especially from Sony first party.

B.O.O.M

eh I don't think releasing a week or so before the big third party games being dropped is a bad idea tbh. This will give more exposure to the first party games and then the weeks after the launch will have a steady stream of high profile games.

Sony has been one step ahead of MS this entire year. Launching in October is perfect for them. It gives them more or lense a month where they will have the sales floors all to themselves. For me, the earlier they launch this puppy the better.

Calmine

Damn this would be too good if true. In time for BF4 and more. Still not getting my hopes up, I see December more likely.

Top Bottom