• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

Notsureifserious
not that serious :p

How so? i'm still paying full price for both of them.
In the end it's the risk i take of potentially ending up with 2 ps4's when i only need 1.

It'd be funny if Sony actually truly did have the supply ready for walk-ins so those people can only break even. Don't think it should be bannable though. :D

Remember all those poor resellers that were stupid enough to buy up a bunch of Wii U's just to find out the demand wasn't there and there were plenty of consoles to buy? I still see a few of them trying to ask for ridiculous amounts on Ebay as if they never bothered taking it down or lowering the price.

but i still don't appreciate people who hoard concert tickets, hardware, etc. just to sell them at a profit on eBay, its just evil :(

Hulohot

Neo Member
People are hungry for next generation. Amongst the people I know, most of them say they will be getting whichever console comes out first. I imagine this mentality will be common among a lot of gamers, so getting it out first would be a smart move.

Besides they learnt their lesson last time launching a year after Xbox 360, I think this time they will be first to the punch.

The 21st is fine and dandy with me but I'm kinda hoping for the 29th just because it will be a stronger launch lineup with Battlfield 4 and AC4 on day one, but realistically it's just a week so it doesn't matter much.

I just don't want the system to launch after all the big third-party games hit the market. Mid/late November is too late, IMO. I want to be able to play those games on day one, with next-gen hardware.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Folks I know don't think it's october but none of them are in the room with the people that decide such things. I can say, however, that people working on launch games don't know what date the launch is.

Not saying that makes this not true - it's possible they just decided and it went out to retail before the teams working on games. But I figured that it was worth sharing what I know.

But people working on launch games will presumably know when they've been told to be done by?

I guess DADC can turn around a limited volume of PS4 launch titles pretty damn quickly though

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you read more of the guy's post, he specified the week of October 21st. So that's anytime from the 21st to the 27th. BF4 and AC4 both release on the 29th, and Watch Dogs next-gen version is specified to release as a PS4 launch title. So... there's no real wait for titles to come out. Coupled with all the digital F2P titles (especially hype for Warframe) this is an extremely solid launch line-up. Some people really forget how terrible launch line ups usually are. Both PS4 and XB1 look to have some of the most impressive launch lineups ever.

Sunday 27th alongside BF4 and AC4 PS4 versions, with the main console versions two days later sounds good.

They certainly haven't shown anything yet. Maybe gamescom will show games using it or if it's even integrated into the OS. But as of right now - no, they haven't show shit except tech demos.

Driveclub demoed the camera being used to capture players' faces

That's about right. I really wish we could get away from coming up with the absolute most extreme example when comparing two things.
hoarding.gif

Folks I know don't think it's october but none of them are in the room with the people that decide such things. I can say, however, that people working on launch games don't know what date the launch is.

Not saying that makes this not true - it's possible they just decided and it went out to retail before the teams working on games. But I figured that it was worth sharing what I know.
Given everything I've seen you post about inside info, I personally would have far more faith in anything you say to this subject than someone at my head office. As I said before, I'm just a regular guy with zero contacts. Shit, if I knew the post I made in a totally separate thread was going to balloon into a 20+ page thread I never would have posted it.

Recon

Banned
Evil is too strong a word. It's definitely not an admirable act, though.

That's about right. I really wish we could get away from coming up with the absolute most extreme example when comparing two things.

Again, its not even that. There is nothing immoral about it. There is nothing illegal about it. Anyone wanting to pre-order a ps4 had plenty of time to do it. Hell, on amazon you dont even have to put any money down.

Dartastic

Again, its not even that. There is nothing immoral about it. There is nothing illegal about it. Anyone wanting to pre-order a ps4 had plenty of time to do it. Hell, on amazon you dont even have to put any money down.
Pretty much. I make very little money, so I preordered two just so I can sell one to try and help cover the cost of my PS4. If there's some wealthy mom out there who can and will spend an extra couple hundred dollars to make sure she gets a PS4 for her kid, well... We're both happy. Her kid gets a PS4, and I have an easier time paying for mine. Win win.

ReijMan

How are they supposed to come up with a marketing plan and store layout etc if this is all the information they have to go by... Vita, PS4, quite a difference isn't it?
My money is on a revitalized Sony console..

squidyj

Pretty much. I make very little money, so I preordered two just so I can sell one to try and help cover the cost of my PS4. If there's some wealthy mom out there who can and will spend an extra couple hundred dollars to make sure she gets a PS4 for her kid, well... We're both happy. Her kid gets a PS4, and I have an easier time paying for mine. Win win.

and people somehow think capitalism is supposed to increase efficiency.

How are they supposed to come up with a marketing plan and store layout etc if this is all the information they have to go by... Vita, PS4, quite a difference isn't it?
My money is on a revitalized Sony console..
Internal product schedules allow the staff to prepare for new product replacing the old. Normally new product is handled by the instore staff and the merchandising modular locations are dictated by the company merchandisers at head office. However in the case of Sony, Nintendo and MS, all product and promo material is handled and placed by third party vendors. Simply put instsore staff needs not to prepare, and by default know, anything.

Yoday

I hope so! I hope they announce the date at Gamescom so I can decide to pre-order that thing.
Why in the world would you wait for a release date to pre-order a console? By the time you would get around to pre-ordering, the console would already be sold out for release day anyway, and completely defeating the purpose of waiting for a release date. I swear, I will never understand people who waited to pre-order. You can pre-order on Amazon for free, and easily cancel at any time. Anyone who actually wanted a PS4 at launch had no excuse not to pre-order within the first week or two of E3.

I've scalped in the past with Nintendo DS's.

Felt guilty about it after though - plus worried about money/scammers.
So won't be doing it again.

JP

The prices these people charge for new consoles takes care of itself.

If they're asking too much for the console then very simply nobody will buy it. If they do sell, irrelevant of the price, somebody somewhere thought it was worth the price they were asking. The people buying it are happy as they got something they thought was worth what they paid and the people selling are also happy a they got what they wanted for it.

Welcome to the consumer driven market. It works on exactly the same principles as buying one for RRP in a shop, you either thing it's worth the price or you don't.

Recon

Banned
No one has given a reason for it being shady. No one is doing anything immoral or illegal. Just because you don't like doesn't make it shady or "evil". This isn't like a concert where if you miss getting a ticket you'll miss out on the event. These consoles will be here for many years. Boo hoo if you miss out on getting it day one, you had plenty of chances.

Skeff

No one has given a reason for it being shady. No one is doing anything immoral or illegal. Just because you don't like doesn't make it shady or "evil". This isn't like a concert where if you miss getting a ticket you'll miss out on the event. These consoles will be here for many years. Boo hoo if you miss out on getting it day one, you had plenty of chances.

Heres a reason, a kid saves up $399 and is 31st in the pre order list, the shop gets 30 in, 15 are going on ebay for $700, next shipment is due 1 month later as the store is not a priority store, kid goes home and cries...

It's all well and good for the people who do buy from scalpers and you can say they're willing to pay so it's fine, but the reality is that console will be taken away from someone who wants it and pre ordered it.

Heres a reason, a kid saves up $399 and is 31st in the pre order list, the shop gets 30 in, 15 are going on ebay for $700, next shipment is due 1 month later as the store is not a priority store, kid goes home and cries...

It's all well and good for the people who do buy from scalpers and you can say they're willing to pay so it's fine, but the reality is that console will be taken away from someone who wants it and pre ordered it.

Judging by some in this thread the correct thing to do is to run up to the kid and scream "FREE MARKET SUCKER!" Before walking off with your 10 consoles.

Yeah, it's an unpleasant practice. Exploitation basically.

casmith07

So for launch we have
Killzone Shadowfall
Knack
Drive Club

8 days later the following release
Assassins Creed 4
Battlefield 4
FIFA 14

A week later
COD Ghosts

Then later in Nov
Watchdogs

The October release would be perfect, then. You roll out software in small waves along with waves of shipment of new hardware if need be. Hype builds week by week, and then customers have a nice rounded out launch selection of software to choose from for Black Friday and the holiday season.

Everybody wins.

Guymelef

Would be a good date for Killzone sales.
If releases with Killzone, Battlefield 4 and COD Ghost the same day the things change.

Recon

Banned

Again, plenty of time to pre-order a launch system. This scenario you made up is the retailers fault for taking more pre-orders than guaranteed. Also, is this kid entitled to a launch system? What kid can save up $399 without having access to an online retailer where launch day systems were plentiful to pre-order? Is this kid stupid? Why should I give a fuck about this theoretical kid?

merrick97

Banned
Again, plenty of time to pre-order a launch system. This scenario you made up is the retailers fault for taking more pre-orders than guaranteed. Also, is this kid entitled to a launch system? What kid can save up $399 without having access to an online retailer where launch day systems were plentiful to pre-order? Is this kid stupid? Why should I give a fuck about this theoretical kid?

Your attitude is exactly why I want to see scalpera fail.

merrick97

Banned
You can send them back to Amazon or other online retailers for free. No risks involved, only potential gains.
That's a win as far as I'm concerned. It goes back to the retailer, the retailer sells it to someone who wants it at its proper price!

The scalper doesn't get the satisfaction of exploiting someone.

Having said ALL of that I would also look down on people who DO pay scalping price. It is indeed their responsibility to plan ahead.

Skeff

Because he gets an allowance and his parents don't let him pre order till theres a release date, maybe you should give a crap about this kid because your a human being, maybe his parents say if he is financially responsible enough to save $200 they'll match it.

About retailers taking more pre orders than guaranteed, i suggest you go to a retailer right now and i'm sure in 90% of launch countries they are all taking pre orders still and already know they won't be able to fulfill them.

I hope you drop your pre order on the way home and it smashes into a thousand pieces, so your out $399, you deserve it after that post.

Master_Chef

Neo Member
Considering Battlefield 4 is supposed to be released around October, this doesn't really surprise me. Great news if true, already have mine pre-ordered :)

Wow dude. Wow.

Mr. Helios

Neo Member
Barely off-topic, but I was completely floored when I went into the Sony store and saw zero promotion for the PS4. Does anyone else's Sony store have *anything* about PS4? I'm sure most people that buy Playstation products do so elsewhere, but it was still surprising. The Microsoft store right next to it has XBOne information right at the entrance.

Saiyan-Rox

Barely off-topic, but I was completely floored when I went into the Sony store and saw zero promotion for the PS4. Does anyone else's Sony store have *anything* about PS4? I'm sure most people that buy Playstation products do so elsewhere, but it was still surprising. The Microsoft store right next to it has XBOne information right at the entrance.

I've never seen a Sony store advertise gaming unless one of their TV's come with a console. it's normal for sony to leave the advertising to gaming retailers well here it is anyway.

Abounder

Banned
Exciting rumor, can't wait to play NBA2k on the next gen

The scalper doesn't get the satisfaction of exploiting someone.

Having said ALL of that I would also look down on people who DO pay scalping price. It is indeed their responsibility to plan ahead.

Reminds me of the Turbo Man doll fiasco from the movie Jingle All the Way

Scalping during the holiday season just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of things but to each their own

Top Bottom