• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Playstation 4 to launch October 21st

Jimrpg

just went to jb hifi in australia which is one of the largest games retailers... and preordered my PS4.... i was told (and its on my receipt) they have already allocated their entire day 1 stock apparently.

I only had to put $10 down for the preorder but in these circumstances they really should take the entire $548... otherwise scalpers will preorder a whole heap of consoles and sell them at marked up prices at launch.

Gentlemen, is it possible the PS4 could be looking at a Wii type situation?

If you're talking about Wii's instant success right out of the gate:

It definitely has the upper hand when it comes to the three major consoles (Wii U squandered its potential, and XBONE is more expensive and has anti-consumer baggage to deal with), but that doesn't mean it will be instantly successful.

In particular, I'm a bit concerned with the PS4's distinct lack of incredibly innovative, must-have killer apps (in my opinion, everything seems a tad underwhelming), and a potential failure to appeal to Japanese gamers.

If it launches October 21, do you think I'd be able to snag a copy by Christmas if I don't preorder one?

Who knows really, we don't know how well this thing is going to sell. By all indications it's going to sell extremely well, but just how much will be available is up in the air.

I personally think it'll be sold out at least for a few weeks before finding them regularly on store shelves, maybe even longer. You might get lucky and find a loner somewhere depending on where you live.

acidagfc

I don't know if it was discussed somewhere already. From EU PSN Blog:

Even if you start playing on PlayStation 3, we want to make your transition to PlayStation 4 easy. That’s why we’re notifying the devoted Battlefield and PlayStation communities that all of the time and effort you spend building up your Battlefield 4 stats will carry over when you upgrade to PlayStation 4.

That way, on 1st November, you can get in the game without any worries that you’ll have to start ranking up all over again when PlayStation 4 launches. We got your back.
link

Does this mean that PS4 is not launched in EU before Nov 1st?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What if Killzone:SF has bowling though?

That's right, one more big Gamescom announcement!

Bowling was the best part about Tekken Tag Tournament other than the music.

264381-tekken-tag-tournament-playstation-2-screenshot-each-bowler.png

Tekken Tag was also a PS2 launch game. The prophecy has come full circle.

AkIRA_22

I know this really counts for noting but I suspected (hoped) it would be launched earlier. Particularly considering the launch systems have been sold out in many places worldwide.

Even if you start playing on PlayStation 3, we want to make your transition to PlayStation 4 easy. That’s why we’re notifying the devoted Battlefield and PlayStation communities that all of the time and effort you spend building up your Battlefield 4 stats will carry over when you upgrade to PlayStation 4.

That way, on 1st November, you can get in the game without any worries that you’ll have to start ranking up all over again when PlayStation 4 launches. We got your back.
link

Good find.

Again, I don't believe in an October launch. Not for the US, EU or any region.

HORRORSHØW

link

Or it could mean that Battlefield is releasing on Nov.1st in EU.

nib95

Banned

link

Ahem...

Amazon UK Battlefield 4 Pre-order

Release Date: Friday, November 1 2013 (tbc for Xbox One & PS4)

Grimløck;76471055 said:

Right but the quote is suggesting that Battlefield will come out before the PS4, since the indication is you can play the game starting from Nov 1st and not worry about re-upgrading your character when the PS4 launches.

So based on that, you can arrive at the conclusion that the PS4 won't launch until after Nov 1st.

Edit: beaten

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Grimløck;76471055 said:

That's exactly what it means.

Right but the quote is suggesting that Battlefield will come out before the PS4, since the indication is you can play the game starting from Nov 1st and not worry about re-upgrading your character when the PS4 launches.

What's so difficult to understand there? It suggests you will be able to play Battlefield before PS4 releases because that's the point in mentioning it in the first place. How can it then suddenly become a reason to consider Nov 1st the release date? You play it on your PS3 and transfer the data over to the PS4 on Nov 1st when the game is released on that console.

Yeah that makes it sound like if you get BF4 on PS3, you can start playing on release date (Nov 1) and then when the PS4 launches later, you can transfer your stats over to the PS4 version, which makes it sound like the PS4 is launching in November at the earliest.

So based on that, you can arrive at the conclusion that the PS4 won't launch until after Nov 1st.

Edit: beaten

Not sure what you guys read but it just mean you can use your PS3 data if you upgrade to the PS4. It doesn't say anything about the when.

Ok, I think this is not worth delving into too deeply, but I'll clarfiy....

It suggests you will be able to play Battlefield before PS4 releases because that's the point in mentioning it in the first place.

Right, we agree so far. The quote is suggesting Battlefield is coming out before the PS4 since you can start playing from Nov 1st then upgrade to the PS4 when it comes out.......

How can it then suddenly become a reason to consider Nov 1st the release date? You play it on your PS3 and transfer the data over to the PS4 on Nov 1st when the game is released on that console.

.....Which makes your second sentence confusing. They explicitly mention the game is coming out Nov 1st, so yes that IS the game's release date, but seemingly not on the PS4.

If the game comes out Nov 1st on the PS4, that quote would not make any sense, since I can start playing straight away on the PS4, and not migrate my progress from the PS3.

And with that, I will apologize for stretching the argument this far.

Right, we agree so far. The quote is suggesting Battlefield is coming out before the PS4 since you can start playing from Nov 1st then upgrade to the PS4 when it comes out.......

.....Which makes your second sentence confusing. They explicitly mention the game is coming out Nov 1st, so yes that IS the game's release date, but seemingly not on the PS4.

If the game comes out Nov 1st on the PS4, that quote would not make any sense, since I can start playing straight away on the PS4, and not migrate my progress from the PS3.

The post on the PlayStation blog is a cut and paste job from the Battlefield official site that simply references current gen versus next gen. We should not put any stock in it saying anything about the PS4 release date since the language was actually constructed originally to cover both the PS4 and Xbox One. In any case the stat transfer is also built to cover players who won't buy next gen consoles day one. It's just as useful if you buy BF4 on 360 or PS3 this fall and don't upgrade to a new console until next year.

The point was made a while back that it probably doesn't have anything to do with release dates and everything to do with late adopters. It is just saying that if you buy BF4 on PS3, when you finally upgrade to PS4, your progress carries across.

KoopaTheCasual

I don't see how the Battlefield article changes anything. Were people really expecting an October PS4 release in EU? I thought the understand is that we'd see a late October release in the states (supported by the rumor), and more likely see and early/mid November release for EU, South America, India, etc.

I don't see how the Battlefield article changes anything. Were people really expecting an October PS4 release in EU? I thought the understand is that we'd see a late October release in the states (supported by the rumor), and more likely see and early/mid November release for EU, South America, India, etc.
It could be that, but I'm sure Sony wants to launch at the sametime in their strongest markets.

I wonder if they will announce the North American release date at Gamescom.

Seems like a weird place to announce the American debut of Sony's newest console. At a friggin European games event.

Grimløck;76471055 said:

Yeah that's the way I read it.

I think the point they are making is if you buy the game on PS3, then when you do upgrade to PS4 you can continue playing. This way if you upgrade in 3 or 6 months you can still continue. Very smart move and will result in a lot of Battlefield 4 double dippers.

the_id

Would be really awesome if true. I've already made my pre-order including pre-odering several games and accessories. Bring it on!!!

Seems like a weird place to announce the American debut of Sony's newest console. At a friggin European games event.

Why did they announce the Euro and UK PS4 prices at E3 - a friggin American games event?

They announced the PS3 Slim on the Gamescom. I don't see why it should be crazy if we get more launch details.

Pachimari

They just can't wait with releasing the PS4 in Scandinavia next year as well after we got the Xbone post-poned. I wouldn't be able to handle such a double-up ugh.

RulkezX

Watch Dogs release date is late November and it's supposed to be a launch title, so I don't think an October release date is very likely.

This idea that Sony absolutely cannot release before X title because Y publisher said months ago that X title is a launch game is all kinds of stupid.

It also asks us to believe that everyone has known the exact date for XO/PS4 for months and it somehow hasn't leaked.

Watch Dogs release date is late November and it's supposed to be a launch title, so I don't think an October release date is very likely.

Call of Duty Ghosts is one of the biggest advertised games for next gen and in particular XBOX ONE, that is out November 5th. You could say that the consoles won't launch any later than that date judging by your line of thought. Watch Dogs has never been stated as a launch day game either, just launch window.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

link

That's just the launch date for BF4.

So what they're telling you is hey, don't be afraid to jump right in with the current gen version day one, because your stats and unlocks will carry over when you get the next gen version.

Applecot

That's just the launch date for BF4.

So what they're telling you is hey, don't be afraid to jump right in with the current gen version day one, because your stats and unlocks will carry over when you get the next gen version.

This is EA so they could be trying to rope heaps of people into buying the PS3 / 360 versions.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is EA so they could be trying to rope heaps of people into buying the PS3 / 360 versions.

Exactly. They're looking to make some extra bucks on people that absolutely can't wait to play these games. Allowing your stats to carry over is pretty reassuring and may get some people to go for it.

In the US Gamestop is running a promo where you can buy the current gen version of say CoD Ghosts, and then get a guaranteed trade in coupon of $50 for when the Xbone version hits. So you then pay an extra $10 to upgrade.

Meanwhile Gamestop makes out like a bandit as they've now "sold" two copies of the game, made an extra $10 on the Xbone version, and have a 360 copy they can sell at $55 for 100% profit.

This idea that Sony absolutely cannot release before X title because Y publisher said months ago that X title is a launch game is all kinds of stupid.

It also asks us to believe that everyone has known the exact date for XO/PS4 for months and it somehow hasn't leaked.

Publishers know the PS4 release date in advance, and thus "Y publisher said months ago that X title is a launch game" may pretty much refrect that.

Call of Duty Ghosts is one of the biggest advertised games for next gen and in particular XBOX ONE, that is out November 5th. You could say that the consoles won't launch any later than that date judging by your line of thought. Watch Dogs has never been stated as a launch day game either, just launch window.

Nope, I said I find unlileky they will launch before, not later.

10/17/13 might be dlc for TLOU .....

i can see this 21st date happening tho.. then by december the other territories get it.

WILL WHAT DID CBOAT SAY GAF?

im still a junior...

Top Bottom