• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Red Dead Redemption 2, sequel to 13+ million game, is coming, has co-op

NickFire

This makes me very happy. The last one was my second favorite game last year behind Mass Effect (if you count the trilogy as one game, otherwise it was my 4th favorite). Cant wait to know when this is expected. Imagine how great it would be if this has secretly been in development for years and comes out in 2015?

Guri

I wonder how many people from the original Redemption team is still at San Diego. That game was in development hell and a lot of people left, from what I remember.

Horns

It's obviously coming. It was confirmed to be a permanent franchise years ago. Co-op makes sense, it's something GTA needs. I'd expect the game to build off of GTA V with improvements.

eshwaaz

Red Dead Redemption is one of my all-time favorites. I really, really hope co-op does not compromise the single player experience.

diamount

Banned
Obviously not the real title I imagine, good thing too because playing as his whiny son made you not want to complete that particular mission.

Darker

Banned
Well, if we're doing insidery things...

A person a know (friend's uncle's lover lololol etc.) who was adamant that Rockstar won't reach a GTA 7. I was obviously all jenniferlawrenceOK.gif, but this person has worked in game audio for 20+ years and had friends in Rockstar (as well as all over); apparently, their tools are world class, particularly their audio engine/pipeline/technologies, and they could easily sell that technology for over 2 billion. Combine that with the sale of their other top-class technologies, and they have a quick and easy few billion in a very quick timeframe - much easier money than making GTAs (V took half a year to get 2 billion in revenue, not profit, if I recall, and it's much easier to sell tech than make a product which is reliant on the whims of critical and commercial success or failure). From then on out, R* just become a tech house and take the easy road.

I can't say I believe it, but then I know a hell of a lot less than this person and if what they're saying is true, it certainly seems the most profitable and safest route for a higher management suit to take.

Oh, and I saw every cancelled Rare game from the last 10 years ¯\_(._.)_/¯

Chris1

Yeah I hope they bring back the multiple char thing, it was one of the best new features to GTA5 imo. Personally hope that becomes a standard for all R* games here on out.

belmonkey

If they did release on PC, I feel that releasing it later (not even announcing a PC port until some time after console release) may be the better business decision than day 1.

AngryMoth

If co-op was actually incorporated I'm sure there would be an option to play solo.
Yeah but if the whole game can be played co-op that typically informs a lot of design choices, so the solo experience might not be as good as if it were designed strictly as a single player game.

Nzyme32

It's obviously coming. It was confirmed to be a permanent franchise years ago. Co-op makes sense, it's something GTA needs. I'd expect the game to build off of GTA V with improvements.

They pretty much confirmed the sequel during Take Two's fiscal call or whatever it is called a long while back, so I'm not sure why people seem to have missed this, or the vagaries of coop and naming the consoles suddenly elevates this to new heights. Obviously still nice to get info, but there isn't any info to really make anything out of

Haunted

Not a cats chance in hell will this be on the PC day 1. Rockstar have a long fine rich history of shafting PC gamers. If this new RDR comes to the PC (and it is a pretty big if) you are probably looking at around a year to 18 months after the console release.
v3T8B.gif

This better be on the fucking PC day 1.
nodding_clint_eastwood.gif

injurai

Banned

A person a know (friend's uncle's lover lololol etc.) who was adamant that Rockstar won't reach a GTA 7. I was obviously all jenniferlawrenceOK.gif, but this person has worked in game audio for 20+ years and had friends in Rockstar (as well as all over); apparently, their tools are world class, particularly their audio engine/pipeline/technologies, and they could easily sell that technology for over 2 billion. Combine that with the sale of their other top-class technologies, and they have a quick and easy few billion in a very quick timeframe - much easier money than making GTAs (V took half a year to get 2 billion in revenue, not profit, if I recall, and it's much easier to sell tech than make a product which is reliant on the whims of critical and commercial success or failure). From then on out, R* just become a tech house and take the easy road.

I can't say I believe it, but then I know a hell of a lot less than this person and if what they're saying is true, it certainly seems the most profitable and safest route for a higher management suit to take.

Oh, and I saw every cancelled Rare game from the last two decades ¯\_(._.)_/¯

You can sell and license that tech without relinquishing their game business. GTA profits are the fuel that makes that tech investment worth while. If they cut it, then that technology is now at the whims of other customers. GTA is guaranteed usage of that tech pipeline.

eshwaaz

Yeah but if the whole game can be played co-op that typically informs a lot of design choices, so the solo experience might not be as good as if it were designed strictly as a single player game.
Exactly. We've seen that happen before, and I do not want it to happen to Red Dead.

MormaPope

Banned
After robbing a bank, your posse hightails it out of town, you ride away quickly, lawmen trailing behind. One member of your gang is shot and wounded, you tell your men to turn back, that a brother doesn't abandon another brother.You fight and murder the lawmen viciously, blood for blood. You reach the fallen outlaw, he is dead. You take his body and ride into the desert, your posse reminisces about that man. How he could never cheat at poker without getting caught, how he gave gifts was to prostitutes, how good of a shot he was.

You across the cliff, with a wide open clearing. The orange and glowing sun is setting. You opt to toss his body into the river. "That bastard would've wanted that" you say. You and your men throw his body into the river below. And then ride into dusk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9iflvCwok

EDIT: Actually this song makes a lot more sense contextually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yag41F7eCLU

I would like to hope they have a better and more creative title in mind than merely Red Dead Redemption 2.

Its too bad they concluded the storyline of Marston's son in the epilogue of the last game, otherwise they could've called it "Red Dead Revenge".

vesvci

Banned
Awesome news, and no cross-gen crap?. As long as Rockstar doesn't do that "Ubisoft parity" bullshit, I'm down for Day 1.

One of my favorite games. Love the soundtrack. I'm skeptical they can do the old west again so well. Atleast GTA can switch around to all different kinds of settings.

Oh, and I saw every cancelled Rare game from the last two decades ¯\_(._.)_/¯

I wonder if Bish is going to send you a private message? :)

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
It shouldn't be a shock considering how well RDR sold. I'm still excited, though.

You know what would also be cool? RDR PC release.

Top Bottom