• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Square Enix Seeking Developers for Numbered Game of “Super-Famous” RPG Series

Hastati

The current JRPG climate leads me to believe that a good Chrono sequel could be made. But maybe this is only for those series that have already been numbered in the past.

I'm trying to think what this could possibly be. Out of their RPGs I think only Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, and Valkyrie Profile have numbers attached to them. The 2D art is peculiar. None of these games have been 2D in a while. Dragon Quest XI has a 2D mode, but this sounds like it's for a new game. If Octopath Traveler is just a placeholder name then it could be that, but then again it doesn't look attached to any franchise and if it was they probably would have titled it as such from the start.

I have no idea what this could be.

Teuoxton

Is it finally time?!
Ff6_magitek.jpg

FF6R please!

with the sucess of XV its only matter of time before we see XVI

just wonder if they stick to Action RPG Formula or try to go back oldschool (especially since Nomura is not involved in this one & he was the main reason for XV being an Action RPG)

Ydelnae

I'm trying to think what this could possibly be. Out of their RPGs I think only Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, and Valkyrie Profile have numbers attached to them. The 2D art is peculiar. None of these games have been 2D in a while. Dragon Quest XI has a 2D mode, but this sounds like it's for a new game. If Octopath Traveler is just a placeholder name then it could be that, but then again it doesn't look attached to any franchise and if it was they probably would have titled it as such from the start.

2D artist probably refers to the one who makes concept art and basic designs that will later be translated to 3D models, not the one who makes sprites and pixel art.

Even 3D games often have 2D artists drawing concept art and designs for the project.

Opa-Pa

Most encouraging thing about the timing is that most of SE's bad directors seem to be busy at the moment... Oh right, what's Toriyama up to nowadays?

2D artist probably refers to the one who makes concept art and basic designs that will later be translated to 3D models, not the one who makes sprites and pixel art.

Even 3D games often have 2D artists drawing concept art and designs for the project.

Yeah, the description straight out says that you'd be drawing 2d concept art to "give inspiration to the people who will be designing the 3d" so if anything it's proof that it's a mainly 3d game

13ruce

Banned
Dragon Quest XI for western release plz.
I still don't know why they gauge interest on heroes 2 and builders.... IX and VIII sold pretty good in the west.

Mikey Jr.

Please Chrono Trigger.Please Chrono Trigger.Please Chrono Trigger.Please Chrono Trigger.Please Chrono Trigger.Please Chrono Trigger.Please Chrono Trigger.Please Chrono Trigger.

I will personally suck like 8 donks.

I will buy whatever system this comes out on.

Not even joking. Even a switch. Fuck it. No interest in a switch whatsoever, will buy a switch just to play CT.

Ydelnae

Isnt VP from tri ace?

S-E owns the IP and recently released a mobile VP game without tri-Ace's involvement. However, none of the VP games has broke 1 million so this is not the franchise they are talking about.

It's either Final Fantasy XVI, Dragon Quest XII, Kingdom Hearts 4, New Mana or New SaGa. Taking into account that DQXI hasn't launched yet and KH3 is still in production, it got to be one of the other three. And it would surprise me to see a new Mana or SaGa on consoles. Those franchises don't use numbered titles neither.

While the company’s name is not specified, the hints are rather solid: it’s described as having created “huge RPGs” and having launched online games as well. It has a digital entertainment business that provides “high quality games with unique world views” and delivered “a large number of million-sellers.” On top of that, the company has an amusement business based focused on the Taito Station arcades (Taito is owned by Square Enix), a publishing business for manga, and a licensing business, exactly like Square Enix.

Quite telling is also the description of the location of the company’s headquarters. It’s in Tokyo, one minute from the Higashi-Shinjuku station of the Oedo Line and Fukutoshin line, eight minutes from the main Shinjuku Station, and eight minutes from the Shunjuku Sanchome station of the Marunouchi and Fukutoshin line.

Care to take a guess which major publisher has its headquarters fitting that location?

b3FhAiV.jpg

S-E owns the IP and recently released a mobile VP game without tri-Ace's involvement. However, none of the VP games has broke 1 million so this is not the franchise they are talking about.

It's either Final Fantasy XVI, Dragon Quest XII, Kingdom Hearts 4, New Mana or New SaGa. Taking into account that DQXI hasn't launched yet and KH3 is still in production, it got to be one of the other three. And it would surprise me to see a new Mana or SaGa on consoles. Those franchises don't use numbered titles neither.

Mana and Saga aren't "Super-famous" either. It gotta be FF.

Yeah this is most definitely FF16. Though I'm a bit disappointed that they're only just now starting to work on it. I would've assume the concept art stage would've already been started before 15 even released, but I guess they weren't kidding when they said 16's existence would rest on 15's success.

Can't be DQ since 11 isn't even out yet.

Can't be Kingdom Hearts since Nomura would be the one to handle that role.

And none of SE's other franchises I would classify as "super famous" But then again if they're trying to hype the role up I guess It could include SO, Mana, SaGa, PE, VP. But I highly doubt it's any of those since most of then are dead in the water. Maybe Drakenguard 4? Since Nier was such a big hit?? Or Bravely 3rd?

Yeah this is most definitely FF16. Though I'm a bit disappointed that they're only just now starting to work on it. I would've assume the concept art stage would've already been started before 15 even released, but I guess they weren't kidding when they said 16's existence would rest on 15's success.

And none of SE's other franchises I would classify as "super famous" But then again if they're trying to hype the role up I guess It could include SO, Mana, SaGa, PE, VP. But I highly doubt it's any of those since most of then are dead in the water. Maybe Drakenguard 4? Since Nier was such a big hit?? Or Bravely 3rd?

So it's obviously Chrono

Mikey Jr.

It says 2d artist though.

Top Bottom