• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor time: First details and artwork on new Tomb Raider?

Sounds interesting. If they actually use those concepts and not make they forgettable or cheap, then could be an amazing. Make the gameplayer feel like he's being hunted and has to use the environment to set up traps, etc.

Ninja Scooter said:
I can't believe it took 15 years for Eidos to even attempt to make Lara look like an actual human being instead of a blowup doll.

LOL so true, I thought the same.

Otherwise, I'm somewhat compelled by the new concept. I'll keep an eye on this one I think.

I'm up for anything at this point. I'm totally with an entire origin reboot. And I'm glad they are making it open world. That should give some fresh ideas to the gameplay.

I am not a bad enough dude to play this game.

Oh well, at least I can just ignore Grudge Raider as opposed to kinda sorta wanting the other three but always ignoring them for other, more interesting holiday titles.

Gribbix

Revelations said:
You first. People have been wanting an open world sand box type Tomb Raider for YEARS!! Now we finally get one and you want to kill it? Fuck that...

I don't get the complaints either. I've wanted CD to move to a Metroid/Soul Reaver 1 style of progression and level design for a while now. I really like what I've read so far. The only part that's potentially worrying is the combat, but I don't see how it could be any worse than the current lock-on aiming system. Hopefully they won't reduce the number of puzzles and platforming. I was happy with the ratio of puzzles/platforming to combat in Anniversary/Underworld so hopefully they won't mess with that.

Seems like it may be trying to emulate God of War in creature designs and action gameplay.

As others have said...not sure that's what I wanted from a new Tomb Raider.

[Nintex]

So after the buggy mess that was Tomb Raider Underworld, I'm certain that they're now perfectly capable of building an open world Tomb Raider game in a new style with fewer developers....

wrowa

I don't know what to think of this. Sure, the concept sounds interesting and the artworks are good-looking (not to mention that Lara finally doesn't look like walking boobs), but what has this to do with Tomb Raider? I love horror games but the idea of a TR horror game... I don't know if I want that.

Generally speaking, it's a strange idea to reboot this series as a horror game. That genre isn't really in its prime – and now they want boost the TR sales by making it scarry?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
CD has certainly fallen from grace with latest TR. I'm still cautiously optimistic, but the enemy concept art here already looks pretty bad.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lord Error said:
CD has certainly fallen from grace with latest TR. I'm still cautiously optimistic, but the enemy concept art here already looks pretty bad.
Really? Underworld isn't that bad despite being clearly rushed out the door.

Sounds interesting.... like a tropical, open-world Deception (Predator??).

Will be keeping an eye on.

EDIT: And that picture with the 3 things totally reminded me of FEAR (Alma).

Tellaerin

Darkpen said:
(as for the people discussing her proportions: are you serious? Really? If it were up to me, she'd be B-cup, but hey, its a videogame, at least she doesn't have freaking Barbie's proportions).

Can't speak for anyone else, but yes, I'm serious. I'm not looking for 'realism'; this isn't a simulation. I prefer character designs I find appealing, and in the case of female characters, attractive. Attractive to me means 'grown woman with curves', not 'flat chested loli', so I'm glad it's not up to you :p

Lara has always been known for her figure. It's one of the things that's made her an iconic character. It would have been nice for the teams that have handled her over the years to retain that element of the character while rendering her more realistically. Instead, her bustline seems to be steadily shrinking as graphics technology improves, apparently out of some desire to make the character 'more respectable' and mollify the 'nerd guilt' crowd ('I'd be so embarassed if my friend/neighbor/parent/pet caught me playing a game with overtly sexy female characters! It reinforces all those negative stereotypes about gamers!'). Personally, I think that's pretty sad, though I also realize I'm in the minority here, especially after seeing all the fuss people made over the proportions of the female characters in Soul Calibur IV. The GAF-mind seems to have a collective aversion to large breasts, at least on the gaming side. :p

Dever

Banned
Sounds rad, an open world is definitely cool. Am I the only one who rode around SotC's overworld just to see if there are some more ruins somewhere(or turtles)? Imagine that but with actual rewards and treasure for finding something.

I doubt the 'horror' will be anything more than RE5-type horror. Don't see what the big deal is about it, being alone on an island with monsters coming after you would probably be pretty scary, no need to make it less so just because the series hasn't had those elements before. I'm 100% for horror if it makes exploring tombs more eerie and atmospheric.

Erebus

I'm a big TR fan since the original, I even liked Angel of Darkness (despite all its bugs and issues) but I'm not sure what to say on this artwork. I'd like to see more though.

On a side note, I can already see people bitching on "This is no TR anymore" similarly to what had happened after Capcom rebooted the RE franchise with RE4. :lol

xfactor

Banned
wrowa said:
I don't know what to think of this. Sure, the concept sounds interesting and the artworks are good-looking (not to mention that Lara finally doesn't look like walking boobs), but what has this to do with Tomb Raider? I love horror games but the idea of a TR horror game... I don't know if I want that.

Generally speaking, it's a strange idea to reboot this series as a horror game. That genre isn't really in its prime – and now they want boost the TR sales by making it scarry?

If its a series reboot, why not? They've been playing it safe but it have done nothing to the franchise, so why not give it a brand new look, like how RE4 sold even more copies after shifting away from survival horror.

I am going to say that I am not excited with the news one bit. I am currently playing Underworld and the game is fucking frustrating... it has the worst fucking camera in any game I have ever played.

RavenFox

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I actually like this.

This could be pretty amazing if they can pull it off. And one thing that gives me some faith that they can is that Toby Gard is now a lead designer at CD (he'd previously had much smaller roles in Legend and Underworld). There's no way that he's going to screw up TR.
Im with you Solid. This time change might be good.
schild said:
This is the most appealing looking Tomb Raider since the first one. By far.
Was thinking the same thing

Snowden

Banned
She looks like a real person. Shocking. I haven't played a Tomb Raider game in years, so I don't know if this shits on the "lore" the series has built up lately, but just going off what I see here, I'm interested. Admittedly, it'd probably go over better with fans if this was just a new IP rather than having the Tomb Raider name, but hell, if that name will help with sales and maybe, possily, some day, allow CD to MAKE ME A NEW LoK, then godspeed.

JdFoX187

Banned
Hollywood reboots moving into the gaming industry, please no! Not to mention, my utter disdain for sandbox games plaguing Tomb Raider. :( :( :(

Hopefully, it's more like Metroid in its exploration. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Y2Kev said:
Really? Underworld isn't that bad despite being clearly rushed out the door.
I started off liking it, but as it went along all the niggling problems compounded enough that I pretty much started hating it. More importantly for me, the game never felt charming and welcoming in the way Legend did.

dolemite

It looks like the lawyers for Crystal Dynamics got to the them. Didn't have a chance to get a look at the new Lara Croft :(

EDIT: Damn, she looks like she needs a sandwich.

I am very interested in this since I loved Underworld and Legend, but I am not too happy about an "open world". Survival horror? It might actually work and then again, it could be a bad idea. I think they can pull it off, so I will keep an eye out for this. I remember reading awhile back something about a more female-friendly version of Tomb Raider. I wonder if this is it?

Why is people rejoicing because they think Lara looks more human? This is only concept art. She could look the same or worse in-game.:lol Unless I missed an in-game screenshot or something.

Blizzard

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
I thought Lara looked like a man in TRU. That's from the screens/art I saw anyway.
I totally agree, you'd have to be gay to like her.
vyqqyr.jpg

2zs7k1h.jpg

(my apologies if those pictures are ugly, they were the best I could find at the moment :p)

Whatever makes the enemies the way they are I hope it has its roots in a ancient artifact or civilisation or some such. I think its something that's kinda underplayed about the appeal of the Tomb Raider games (although borrowed from Indy) is that it takes on the idea that there were supernatural elements in the ancient world.

ArjanN

Die Squirrel Die said:
Whatever makes the enemies the way they are I hope it has its roots in a ancient artifact or civilisation or some such. I think its something that's kinda underplayed about the appeal of the Tomb Raider games (although borrowed from Indy) is that it takes on the idea that there were supernatural elements in the ancient world.

Well, seeing it takes place in Japan and Japan has about 80 jillion ancient supernatural myths...

critch

Banned
Majora said:
It sounds pretty decent to me, if true. The series is in pretty desperate need of a Resi 4 style reboot, it's become terribly predictable and has dropped off many people's radars completely. And no offence but a lot of people here are very inflexible when it comes to change within their favourite franchises, expecting the same thing over and over and then bitching when it turns stale.

No, it doesn't need a reboot. The last one sold 2 million copies and was well reviewed disappointing no one but Eidos's INSANE expectations. It needs a stable company, and not to throw out the character that some of us have been following since Legend.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lord Error said:
I started off liking it, but as it went along all the niggling problems compounded enough that I pretty much started hating it. More importantly for me, the game never felt charming and welcoming in the way Legend did.
Because they took it too seriously and killed off the fun chatter between Lara and her teammates because of DOUCHE FANS. So tired of douche fans getting their way with everything.

I would do a focus group with hardcore fans for every series and then do the exact opposite.

critch said:
No, it doesn't need a reboot. The last one sold 2 million copies and was well reviewed disappointing no one but Eidos's INSANE expectations. It needs a stable company, and not to throw out the character that some of us have been following since Legend.

I agree. I think this is a mistake. I don't understand why this just couldn't be a "next adventure" with a redesigned Lara. Why do we need to rewrite her past AGAIN? Her new past is interesting and concluded.

edit: Is that a joke about her looking like a man in those photos?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You can't blame CD, they're just doing what people tell them they want from TR. After underworld, you had a bunch of moron pundits that said after Underworld "Hey TR needs a reboot, make it dark and gritty like the new Battlestar Galactica!!!" TR didn't really need another reboot in the first place, as this was only the second new game with CD at the helm (Anniversary does not count, its just a remake of the first with the Legend engine. Its not like GC RE was a reboot either). The reason Underworld bombed is because Eidos sent it to die before it was really finished in a very crowded October. You mean it has to sell against the likes of Gears 2, Fable II, Fallout 3, LBP, Resistance 2? Of course its going to fucking die. TR does not need to be dark and gritty. Core tried that route with AOD and it SUCKED!
In any event, an open world TR could work, have a sort of overworld dig site hub that connects to the various dungeons and crypts, not much of a stretch.

I swear to god, some of the same got damn douchenozzles that was in the max payne 3 thread are in this one in full fucking force...

RobertM

>:|...I want to kill a puppy. There is no hope for current gen Tomb Raider, they lost track of what Tomb Raider was all about. For fucks sake that looks something out of survival horror.

RobertM said:
>:|...I want to kill a puppy. There is no hope for current gen Tomb Raider, they lost track of what Tomb Raider was all about. For fucks sake that looks something out of survival horror.

I think that's the point.

Top Bottom